• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard / Resident Evil 15th Anniversary Thread: WOW! What a mansion!

Yama

qY9KKh.jpg

Biohazard (バイオハザード), also known as Resident Evil in the West, is a one of a kind survival horror title created by Shinji Mikami, formerly of Capcom, Inc. It is widely agreed upon that the series created the survival horror genre, spawning countless imitations and lending inspiration to many other game series. The series became known for its atmosphere, puzzles, action and purposefully bad B movie voice acting. Originally released on the Sony PlayStation in March of 1996, the series is still going strong 15 years later with planned releases BIOHAZARD Revelations and BIOHAZARD Mercenaries 3D on the horizon. On the wake of it's 15th anniversary, let's take a stroll down memory lane and look at what has transpired in one of the most successful franchises in video gaming history.​

UrhoD.png

CwxcAh.jpg

dqzd7.png
TIv3u.png
ymalU.png
fKRI1.png
4GSNY.png

hOYJn.png
1996.03.22 (PS) | 1997.07.25 (Saturn) | 1997.09.25 (Director's Cut) | 1998.08.06 (Dual Shock) | 2006.01.19 (Deadly Silence)

BIOHAZARD - The original BIOHAZARD, released in 1996, began what has since become Capcom's most successful franchise. Players take control of Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine as they explore a seemingly abandoned mansion filled with zombies and other creatures. BIOHAZARD featured highly innovative action adventure gameplay and advanced graphics for its time, as well as memorable moments in its story, reinforced by the game's laughably unrealistic voice acting.​

UrhoD.png

MA7rQh.jpg

dqzd7.png
TIv3u.png
c8xu7.png
fbhVp.png
93tI6.png

hOYJn.png
1998.01.29 (PS) | 1998.08.06 (Dual Shock) | 1999.12.22 (DC) | 2000.01.28 (N64) | 2003.01.23 (GC)

BIOHAZARD 2 - Two months after the Mansion Incident, Raccoon City is overrun with zombies. Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield arrive into town at the same time, meet up and cooperate, and explore the Raccoon City Police Department. Along with the mysterious Ada Wong and young Sherry Birkin, Leon and Claire face off against the G-Virus, an improved version of the Tyrant and other creatures. BIOHAZARD 2 features the Zapping System, where Leon and Claire's stories interact at various points in the same and can influence each other. Even the order in which they are chosen changes the game path considerably.​

UrhoD.png

erq38h.jpg

dqzd7.png
TIv3u.png
c8xu7.png
93tI6.png

hOYJn.png
1999.09.22 (PS) | 2000.11.16 (DC) | 2003.01.23 (GC)

BIOHAZARD 3: LAST ESCAPE - Also taking place in Raccoon City, Jill Valentine attempts to make her escape from the zombie-infested city in cooperation with UBCS member Carlos Oliveira. Umbrella has dispatched a Tyrant known as Nemesis, an aggressive creature highly resistant to weapons, to dispose of Jill. An action-oriented entry in the traditional series, BIOHAZARD 3: LAST ESCAPE features live events, multiple game paths, dodging and introduced the 180-degree turn.​

UrhoD.png

AqAQsh.jpg

dqzd7.png
c8xu7.png
kCMrl.png
93tI6.png

hOYJn.png
2000.02.03 (DC) | 2001.03.22 (CVX DC) | 2001.03.22 (CVX PS2) | 2003.08.07 (GC)

BIOHAZARD CODE: VERONICA - While searching for her brother, Claire Redfield is captured by Umbrella and taken to Rockfort Island. Shortly after arriving, the island is attacked and the T-Virus is leaked. Claire works with another prisoner, Steve Burnside, in getting off the island as Alfred Ashford, a man tied to the origins of Umbrella, attempts to toy with their lives. The setting eventually moves onto an Umbrella base in Antarctica. Later, Chris Redfield arrives onto the island to save Claire, and encounters Albert Wesker again and faces off against Alexia Ashford. CODE: VERONICA is the longest entry in the traditional series and features a modified version of the Zapping System.​

UrhoD.png

KAxvzh.jpg

dqzd7.png
93tI6.png
3P86k.png

hOYJn.png
2002.03.22 (GC) | 2008.12.25 (Wii)

biohazard - The original game in the series was remade within 6 years of the release of the original, featuring completely redone visuals, altered and improved gameplay elements, and added story information. This game introduced defensive items, and special extra gameplay modes like Real Survival and Invisible Enemy Mode.​

UrhoD.png

7zI2lh.jpg

dqzd7.png
93tI6.png
3P86k.png

hOYJn.png
2002.11.21 (GC) | 2008.07.10 (Wii)

biohazard 0 - biohazard 0 stars S.T.A.R.S. Bravo Team member Rebecca Chambers and ex-Marine and convicted prisoner Billy Coen. Taking place one night in Raccoon Forest before the original Mansion Incident, biohazard 0 exposes the history of Umbrella, the cause of the original biohazard outbreak, the origins of the T-Virus and the fate of one of the original founders of Umbrella, James Marcus. This was the first game in the series to feature two protagonists during gameplay at the same time and no item boxes.​

UrhoD.png

cvxfreak

C4Oymh.jpg

dqzd7.png
93tI6.png
kCMrl.png
3P86k.png
fKRI1.png
GMIhs.png

hOYJn.png
2005.01.27 (GC) | 2005.12.01 (PS2) | 2007.05.31 (Wii) | 2007.06.07 (PC) | 2008.02.01 (iOS)

biohazard 4 - biohazard 4 was the biggest change the series had seen during its release. Abandoning virtually every series staple up to this point, the game stars Leon S. Kennedy 6 years after BIOHAZARD 2, in 2004. Now a U.S. government agent working directly for the President, Leon is dispatched to Europe to save Ashley Graham, the President's daughter. Replacing the zombie-generating viruses was the Las Plagas, which created aggressive, but still humanoid creatures that were faster and smarter than the zombies. Featuring more action-oriented over-the-shoulder shooting gameplay, the game was longer than the entries before it and considerably more action packed.​

UrhoD.png

0sEv8h.jpg

dqzd7.png
XasMN.png
pFJSE.png
fKRI1.png

hOYJn.png
2009.03.05 (360) | 2009.03.05 (PS3) | 2009.09.17 (PC) | 2010.02.18 (Alternative Edition)

BIOHAZARD 5 - BIOHAZARD 5 brought the series back to the plotline established before biohazard 4, and stars Chris Redfield and newcomer Sheva Alomar. Both now working as agents for the BSAA, they come to an unnamed country in Africa to investigate a smuggling deal. However, the local villagers have been infected with an enhanced form of Las Plagas and another sinister bioweapon, Uroboros. Bringing back the 2-protagonist gameplay from biohazard 0, BIOHAZARD 5 featured an adventure that could be played in single player, in local multiplayer or online multiplayer.​

UrhoD.png

UspiKh.jpg

dqzd7.png
3P86k.png

hOYJn.png
2007.11.15 (Umbrella) | 2010.01.14 (Darkside)

biohazard: THE UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - Featuring first person on-rails shooter gameplay, UMBRELLA CHRONICLES retells the events of biohazard 0, biohazard and BIOHAZARD 3: LAST ESCAPE and uncovers new information, particularly about the participation of Albert Wesker in the series plot. A new scenario taking place in February 2003, stars Wesker, Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine as they invade one final Umbrella stronghold in Russia. Ada Wong also makes a guest appearance as she escapes Raccoon City.​
BIOHAZARD: THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES - A sequel to UMBRELLA CHRONICLES, THE DARKSIDE CHRONICLES stars Leon S. Kennedy in 2002. Partnered with Jack Krauser, the two U.S. government agents investigate a T-Virus infested village in South America. Puzzled by what he encounters, Krauser asks Leon to recall his past experiences, leading Leon to recall the events of BIOHAZARD 2 and BIOHAZARD CODE: VERONICA and how they relate to the present situation in South America. The events of this game directly lead into biohazard 4.​

UrhoD.png

KjvLwh.jpg

dqzd7.png
kCMrl.png

hOYJn.png
2003.12.11 | 2004.09.04 (File 2)

BIOHAZARD OUTBREAK - BIOHAZARD OUTBREAK was the first game in the series enabled for online co-op gameplay. Play through 8 civilian characters that are trapped in an infested Raccoon City across 5 different scenarios.​
BIOHAZARD OUTBREAK FILE 2 - An expansion of the original game with some added gameplay elements, FILE 2 features the same 8 characters in 5 new scenarios that take place in Raccoon City.​

UrhoD.png

QaRgzh.jpg

dqzd7.png
TIv3u.png
a99lA.png
kCMrl.png

hOYJn.png
2000.01.27 (GS) | 2001.07.05 | 2001.11.08 (GS2 PS2) | 2003.02.13 (GS4)

BIOHAZARD GUN SURVIVOR - In November 1998, a man has arrived on an residential island owned by Umbrella, which has been infected by the T-Virus. Having lost his memory, he wanders through the island, fighting zombies and uncovering more secrets about the Umbrella Corporation. This was the first game in the series to take place in first person perspective and was GunCon-compatible in Japan and PAL territories.​
GUN SURVIVOR 2: BIOHAZARD: CODE: VERONICA - An arcade-style lightgun first person shooter based on the narrative of CODE: VERONICA. Players could control either Steve or Claire in this short, non-canon adventure.​
GUN SURVIVOR 4: BIOHAZARD: HEROES NEVER DIE - U.S. government agent Bruce McGivern infiltrated the Spencer Rain, a luxury boat owned by Umbrella. The T-Virus has leaked and the crew and passengers have become zombies. Chinese government agent Fong Ling has also been dispatched to the ship in order to prevent Morpheus Duvall, a former Umbrella employee, from unleashing the virus onto major world cities. The best of the 3 Biohazard Gun Survivor games, the game contained a mix of third person exploration and first person shooting.​

UrhoD.png

0l60Qh.jpg

dqzd7.png
GMIhs.png
GMIhs.png
yZfbt.png

hOYJn.png
2008.12.26 (Degeneration DVD/BD) | 2009.07.09 (Degeneration iOS) | 2002.03.29 (Gaiden)

BIOHAZARD DEGENERATION - A canonical CG film, DEGENERATION reunites Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield 7 years after Raccoon City in 2005. Harvardville Airport is infected with the T-Virus and passengers and staff become zombies. Leon, along with Marine Angela Miller, is dispatched by the U.S. government to rescue a few people still trapped in the airport, including Claire. Why was the T-Virus spilled, and who caused the outbreak? Also available as an iOS and Japanese mobile game.​
BIOHAZARD GAIDEN - Unfortunately, this is the only adventure-based Biohazard starring a playable Barry Burton. Taking place in 1999 on the Starlight Luxury ship, Barry is dispatched to rescue Leon S. Kennedy, who was sent on the mission ahead and has since disappeared.​

UrhoD.png

wMNxl.png

be7oO.png

Amazing work. I'm picking away at CVX and am gonna get REmake for the Wii (you can still use a GC controller, right?)

I don't know what it is, but I keep coming back to RE.

and is there a bloodsplattered special edition GBC or did you guys make that? I want it regardless.

amar212

My console gaming begun there.

I'm going with you. Chris is our old partner, you know.

Great OP.

We didn't have a memory card backthen. It was 3 weeks playtime of constant restarting the game after death and PSone was working for days while we were at the college.

Nobody knows the feel of first time finishing Resident Evil without memory card and ability to save and without internet to spoil anything.

Never forget.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread, Yama and CVX. Glad to see people celebrating its 15th birthday. Currently I am playing REmake right now and damn it's still the best remake on a game ever done.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nice, currently playing RE3.

I love the RE series pre-RE3 (haven't played 0 and REmake).

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Oh wow, I had no idea. It's just pure coincidence that I happen to be revisiting all of the main games (some of which I haven't beaten) right now :D

Squire

Banned
Happy Birthday Resident Evil!!! RE4 is still a masterpiece. Paved the way for the third-person shooter as we know it today and the last truly great survival-horror game.

And great work guys :)

Erebus

Awesome work guys! Hard to believe that 15 years have passed since the first game... and now that I think about it, it's kinda depressing.

Well, guess I'll go play some REmake later.

stuminus3

I think I'll celebrate by playing the RE5 DLC on the best version of the game available.

OH WAIT NO I WON'T.

:-/

Amazing thread though. Can't believe it's been 15 years already.

jkanownik

What's the story with the slutty picture next to RE4? If I find out she's running around in that getup after she told me I can't look up her skirt while I'm saving her life I'm gonna be pissed.

heyf00L

I was LTTP and started with REmake. It took me a long time to beat because I wouldn't play it by myself; I had to have a friend come over and watch me play. Haha.

amar212 said:

Great OP.

We didn't have a memory card backthen. It was 3 weeks playtime of constant restarting the game after death and PSone was working for days while we were at the college.

Nobody knows the feel of first time finishing Resident Evil without memory card and ability to save and without internet to spoil anything.

Never forget.

You must've been a god at the game at that point :)

Jay Sosa

Daaaaamn what an amazing OP. God the first time I played (or rather watched a friend playing it) RE I couldn't believe that there is a game as awesome as this. There was NOTHING comparable (not unlike the first TR) for any console. Loved every RE ever since. But I still hope that they go back to the roots and release an atmospheric and adventure-esque RE with pre rendered background for Live or PSN.

DryvBy

Dang. I still remember seeing screen shots and conviencing myself I didn't want to play it. (I was a middle school kid, with a PC and SNES). Low and behold, I finally got an Evil game on my Dreamcast, and Miss Veronica made me a fan.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Awesome thread.

I couldn't get anywhere with Gaiden on Gameboy. Just couldn't survive the combat.

Still wish I could get GUN SURVIVOR 2: BIOHAZARD: CODE: VERONICA without having to import. Have the rest, though. Never beat the first Survivor, last boss killed me, no saving. :(

Still thinking about buying RE4 on PS2, just so I have the whole series on there. I had the whole main series on Gamecube... until RE5 came out, that is. I hate having to cross from system to system to play a whole series. That's why it's a waste of time released Dead Rising 2 and Condemned 2 on PS3, for me. Am I the only one like that?

OTs just keep surprising me amazing job. Also Rebecca <3
I still remember my brother renting 1 and 2 and me never wanting to play either when it was past 8 or if I was alone. Lots of great memories with the series though.

Ricker

Ahh the good old days when even pushing a crate was fun lol...seriously though,the first RE was awesome...I died,got lost,got stuck not knowing where to go,not being sure what to do so many times but it created the great atmosphere of survival horror back then,also because of the graphics,which where great for the time and the tank controls that some came to hate afterwards...one of my favorite series ever.

bengraven

Only main series release I never played and loved was Resident Evil: Code Veronica. I will get back to that someday.

Well, remove "love" from RE5.

Yama

Imbarkus said:
Still thinking about buying RE4 on PS2, just so I have the whole series on there.
But then biohazard 0 and Rebirth, two of the most gorgeous titles in the series. Console switch inevitable I'm afraid, haha.

Gomu Gomu

Great OP.
RE will always rwmain one of my most favorite series ever. Can't wait to get to replaying all of the main enteries all over again.

BIOHAZARD OUTBREAK - BIOHAZARD OUTBREAK was the first game in the series enabled for online co-op gameplay. Play through 8 civilian characters that are trapped in an infested Raccoon City across 5 different scenarios.
Fuck the haters in advance, Outbreak was awesome. In fact I'll say something pretty controversial here: even without voice chat, it was a better zombie co-op game than Left 4 Dead. The mad scramble out of the bar in the first scenario while zombies burst in through the windows, playing online with 3 strangers, was a rush.

amar212 said:

Great OP.

Never forget.
Speaking of which, I absolutely detested Ink Ribbons as save devices. So cruel :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
God, I'm old. I remember my 11-12 year old self picking up Metal Gear Solid (SHUT UP! ESRB WASN'T STRICT THEN!), flipping through a borrowed Gamepro of the libraries (which wasn't bad back then, Gamepro along with Gamefan were kinda "Guerrilla journalism," IMO) and seeing the Biohazard 2 strategy guide of theirs along with the HUGE FUCKING ALLIGATOR in the sewers and drawings of the zombies/fat zombie cop. Piqued my interest, picked up Biohazard 2 and never looked back. Got all the games in the series (with the exception of the Gunsurvivor 2/4 and Gaiden GBC ones) on most of the platiforms and variants (Bio 1 non-DS, DS Directors Cut, Bio2 PSX non-DS/DS version, etc.).

So awesome, shame Jun Takuchi didn't "get it" with Biohazard 5. Such promise ("fear going into the daylight!") wasted ("BRAIN DEAD SHIVA AND YOU WANT TO PLAY IT ONLINE DUE TO THIS FORCED CO-OP! LOLOLOL!"). :(

Man I love Resident Evil, I think the first one I played was the 2nd one on N64, scared me shitless! The first RE game i actually beat was 4. Then I got 1 for the DS and loved it. The old school gameplay is better to me. I waited for a long time for RE2 and 3 to come out on the US PSN store, bought them both first day and beat them. Amazing series.

Mister Wilhelm said:
REmake is the best traditional Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil 4 is the best game overall.

Discuss.
I think its really really difficult to say that Resident Evil 4 is implicitly better than Resident Evil 1 / REmake. I'd say they are about on par with each other with what they did for videogames.

randomwab

Neuromancer said:
Fuck the haters in advance, Outbreak was awesome. In fact I'll say something pretty controversial here: even without voice chat, it was a better zombie co-op game than Left 4 Dead. The mad scramble out of the bar in the first scenario while zombies burst in through the windows, playing online with 3 strangers, was a rush.

Agree completely. Love Outbreak, and I really hope that L4D hasn't ruined the chances of the same sort of game coming in the future.

stuminus3

Actually since we're celebrating the first game, does anyone remember being sort of disappointed when they found out about Umbrella Corp and the virus being behind the whole thing? I remember playing through the first half of the game with a friend and we were just freaking out about not knowing what was going on... the first game started off with a ton of mystery (in no small part because of the mansion setting, I'm sure). It got considerably less scary once we found that the story was pretty generic after all (though RE2 sure brought back some scares).

Maybe I just like my horror to be a little bit more of a mindfuck.

Top Bottom