• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard / Resident Evil 15th Anniversary Thread: WOW! What a mansion!

AAK

Things Resident Evil 5 did right, which I hope transfers over to RE6:

1. Local Co-op should now be a staple for the series, especially in TLN
2. It had by far the best replayability out of all the series. So many weapons to buy and bonuses to unlock
3. Great cut-scenes

AAK said:

2. It had by far the best replayability out of all the series. So many weapons to buy and bonuses to unlock
3. Great cut-scenes
Yeah that game rocked with its New Game +. Everyone should do it.

Bit-Bit

Confession, I've beaten every RE game except Code Veronica. Still own it on Gamecube. It will be my goal to play for an hour every night before I go to bed this week.

Jay Sosa

stuminus3 said:
Actually since we're celebrating the first game, does anyone remember being sort of disappointed when they found out about Umbrella Corp and the virus being behind the whole thing? I remember playing through the first half of the game with a friend and we were just freaking out about not knowing what was going on... the first game started off with a ton of mystery (in no small part because of the mansion setting, I'm sure). It got considerably less scary once we found that the story was pretty generic after all (though RE2 sure brought back some scares).

Maybe I just like my horror to be a little bit more of a mindfuck.

Nah I was stunned when I found out about the lab and shit. I thought the story wasn't generic AT ALL back then. I loved RE nonsenical storylines..until the 4th that one was really generic at it's finest.

AAK said:

Disagree. Co-op is part of why RE5 was NOT scary at all. There was no sense of isolation and someone always had your back. Do I think it's a viable mechanic in a survival horror game? Yes. However, if the way Capcom did it in RE5 is an indication of where the series is heading, no thanks.

AAK said:

There's no point in having tons of unlockables when the main game itself isn't that good.

AAK said:
3. Great cut-scenes

I guess. The story was terrible.

LiK

AAK said:

3. Great cut-scenes
Sheva jiggle ftw.

kunonabi

I think I've gone over my tastes in RE titles in the other thread so I'll skip that.

As for REmake being the best traditional RE title I'm going to have to disagree. I love the game and I even sent my GC to Australia to get modded to play it early but the game had some issues:

Chris Redfield: Went from this lovable meat head in the original to the bland self-doubting leader. Didn't like how he looked either.

Lisa Trevor: Totally pointless. You could just run past her both times you see her and you don't really need to fight her the third time either.

Difficulty: much easier than the original. Beating Tyrant with the Knife is a complete joke.

Less gory than the original

Still no ending that has all survivors present

Still an awesome game and I love all the bonus modes and those amazing prerendered backgrounds.

RE is really one of my favorite series and I have a bunch of the merchandise and stuff but the downward spiral its been on since CV has dampened my love of the series. It really is sad that RE and SH are so crappy these days. I'm going to give the two 3DS games a shot but if Revelations isn't a big improvement over RE5 I'm probably done with the series.

anyone have the RE deck building game? It looks really good and an expansion is on the way but I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.

my crew is also in the midst of making RE character cards and scenarios for the Last Night on Earth Zombie game.

I think are our first set of characters are Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Ark Thompson, and Elza Walker.

Anybody know why Capcom likes to screw up the button layout on the DC ports? RE2 is fine but RE3 doesn't have the original layout and neither did CV. RE3 is unplayable for me because of it.

- J - D -

Awesome OP!

I remember being jazzed about Resident Evil coming out for Gameboy Color, reading articles about it in Gamepro or EGM back in the day. In retrospect, it was probably a good thing that we got Gaiden instead, disregarding the actual quality of that game. I actually bought it back then. I don't actually remember much from playing it.

2nqt7jo.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC8zJgbTts

Mister Wilhelm said:
Disagree. Co-op is part of why RE5 was NOT scary at all. There was no sense of isolation and someone always had your back. Do I think it's a viable mechanic in a survival horror game? Yes. However, if the way Capcom did it in RE5 is an indication of where the series is heading, no thanks.

There's no point in having tons of unlockables when the main game itself isn't that good.

I guess. The story was terrible.
You play Lost in Nightmare? Scared me and some friends shitless on co-op, it was perfect in atmosphere because of the lack of enemies and ammo.

Nizz

Amazing thread, guys! Can't believe it's been so long since the first RE on Playstation. It's been a wild ride. I finished RE5: Gold Edition not too long ago and I liked it more than I thought I would. Although I'd love for the series to move more in the Lost In Nightmares direction.

Playing through an old, haunted mansion again was fun as hell. Even if it was a bit short.

It is hard to believe that REmake was released 9 years ago, and only 6 years after the original. It is still my favorite in the series, and has unmatched visuals and atmosphere. The time span between the release of RE4 and today is already longer than the time between RE1 and Remake. CAPCOM gave us an incredible series of games, and I hope that a new main entry to the series is not far away.

Big Chungus

I love the Resident Evil series, been playing them since the first one came out.

There are some things I don't get though...

RE1:
-How did Rebecca survive the journey to the mansion? Wasn't there this huge forest ahead of her?

-How exactly did some of animals get so huge? (Spiders/Yawn/Shark?). If it was the T-Virus why didn't the dogs (Cerebrus) get huge as well?

-Why did Wesker lock up Jill/Chris instead of just killing them off (wasn't his plan to eliminate STARS members anyways?).

-OH GOD WHAT THE HELL WERE THE CHIMERA?

-When Tyrant was about to attack Chris, he changed his mind and attacked Wesker first. Anyone know why this happened?

-Where the hell was Brad Vickers during the entire game? Was he just hovering around in the air for 4-5 hours? (or however long the events took).

Also, one question about RE: Outbreak's ending, which company was at the Raccoon City crater after the city blew up? Was it the same company from RE5?

Minamu

I had no idea it has been 15 years already :S Time sure does fly. I remember playing the first one at my friend's house when my parents come by to pick me up and they start having a discussion about the game with my friend's parents in the hallway, while we find a save spot or something xD

I was almost 11 years old at the time :lol

And my second copy of RE5 arrived today :D PS3 Move Edition, get!
Now, to actually buy a Move controller...

Feindflug

15 years? oh my...I feel old. :p

An amazing series that I grew up with...REmake, RE2 and of course the godly RE4 being my favorites - Mikami & Kamiya = <3.

Also awesome OP by Yama. ^_^

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PigSpeakers said:
Wasn't one of these games released for the GAME.COM?

Or am I not allowed to speak of that?

Yes, Biohazard 2 Game.com, whch was mostly just Leon A shortened in a few areas with no Claire A/B or Leon B.

One of the best franchises in history, bar none! Looking forward to seeing how the next Resident Evil on next generation turns out, whenever that may be. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
fna84 said:
-Why did Wesker lock up Jill/Chris instead of just killing them off (wasn't his plan to eliminate STARS members anyways?).

Got the drop on them (if going by the novellization, but that's non-canon), planned to use them as a test/experiment subject like Jill in Bio5 became.

-Where the hell was Brad Vickers during the entire game? Was he just hovering around in the air for 4-5 hours? (or however long the events took).

Went back to the RPD, AFAIK.

Also, one question about RE: Outbreak's ending, which company was at the Raccoon City crater after the city blew up? Was it the same company from RE5?

Umbrella themselves. IIRC their logo is on the gate before the whole zoom in/up to the erected mini-lab.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Awesome OP!

I remember being jazzed about Resident Evil coming out for Gameboy Color, reading articles about it in Gamepro or EGM back in the day. In retrospect, it was probably a good thing that we got Gaiden instead, disregarding the actual quality of that game. I actually bought it back then. I don't actually remember much from playing it.

2nqt7jo.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC8zJgbTts
You know, a part of me was always morbidly curious about how this would have turned out if released. It couldn't have been that much worse than Gaiden, anyway.

yurinka

I think this means Capcom will announce at least RE6, a couple of RE HD collections for PS3 and RE for NGP (maybe Mercenaries and Revelations bundled).

I just finished a playthrough of RE2 a few months ago, and now I'm playing through RE1 for the first time (I finally found a copy on Amazon). Although it doesn't feel quite as polished as RE2, it's still really fun, and I like how it feels more focused on survival and supply conservation than the games that came after it.

After I finish it a few times, I might get 3 or the remake.

Edit: nm missed it

I have fond memories of both the games and reading cvxfreak's RIDICULOUSLY LONG FAQs on gamefaqs after beating them to see what I'd missed :D

Davey Cakes

AAK said:

A staple in the series? No no no. Kill it with fire and extreme prejudice.

I mean, I wouldn't mind if Capcom pulled a Mercenaries and made an entirely separate/offshoot game that utilized co-op. Maybe revive the Outbreak sub-series and use it as the vessel for co-op RE. But keep it out of my mainline games, thanks. RE5 being designed completely around co-op is possibly its biggest flaw. They pretty much took RE4 as a template and toned down all of the best parts of it in order to make for a completely co-op-friendly experience. Not cool.

I'm all for Resident Evil as a split series. "Main RE," "Arcade RE (Mercenaries)," and "Co-op RE." Yeah.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
More Outbreaks please! Best of the series... ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I have a real hard time picking any kind of favorites (thank god, because that's not required) - for instance.

REmake for it being well, almost PERFECT. Every aspect of it is wonderful.

RE2 for being my first big RE experience. I was a senior in high school when it came out, and spent my skip day being at home playing it and LOVING it. Licker scared the dogshit out of me through that two way mirror!

RE3 because of the fantastic, wonderful character of Nicholai. And Nemesis. Very action-oriented, I loved the shit out of it.

RE4 because of the SEX that Krauser is. When he strips half-naked and stalks Leon in that ruined village, it was boners ahoy. The game itself was pretty good as well.

RE5...well, with time it'll prove its worth. I well enjoyed it.

Outbreak 1: Absolutely fantastic, felt a lot like RE2 (setting of course!) but was also such a great time. Loved the new characters and of course NICHOLAI!

Outbreak 2: They changed the voice acting :( and changed them speaking after every 'speak' motion :( but I did love this game a lot. TONS of unlockables and well, more Outbreak! Also: Zoo!

And many other games, but those are all great, great ones.

rabbitsyndrome

Neo Member
Wonderful OT for a wonderful series. It's hard to believe it's been fifteen years already. Time sure flies when you've been having fun!

Rash said:
A staple in the series? No no no. Kill it with fire and extreme prejudice.

I mean, I wouldn't mind if Capcom pulled a Mercenaries and made an entirely separate/offshoot game that utilized co-op. Maybe revive the Outbreak sub-series and use it as the vessel for co-op RE. But keep it out of my mainline games, thanks. RE5 being designed completely around co-op is possibly its biggest flaw. They pretty much took RE4 as a template and toned down all of the best parts of it in order to make for a completely co-op-friendly experience. Not cool.

I'm all for Resident Evil as a split series. "Main RE," "Arcade RE (Mercenaries)," and "Co-op RE." Yeah.
I really think they should make some sort of cross between RE5 and Outbreaks gameplay and just make it a spinoff saga. Have the main RE maintain the single player survival horror focus.

Gravijah

Lord_Byron28 said:
I really think they should make some sort of cross between RE5 and Outbreaks gameplay and just make it a spinoff saga. Have the main RE maintain the single player survival horror focus.

First we need to actually get another "single player survival horror" RE! :p

Dascu

I played the Resident Evil GCN remake just the other week, for the first time. Really enjoyed it. The story's a bit cooky, controls need getting used to (I picked Type B) and the limited inventory is a pain in the butt most of the time. However, the atmosphere is amazing, the combat (once you get the hang of the controls) is alright, monster design is really neat and most important of all: It can get very scary. Good horror game.

Resident evil 4/5 were ok games, but not my favorite. I think I prefer the original style. Maybe some tweaks to the original in the form of controls and camera and then I would love resident evil again.

Great OP, lots of cool stuff, but where's Chris? This thread needs more Chris!

PT583.png

There, now I feel better.

Anyway, this series has always had a weird hold on me, I haven't played too many entries on my own, but I've probably watched my friends and family play through almost the entire series. And lately I've been itching to dive in and play through myself.

Yama said:
It is widely agreed upon that the series created the survival horror genre, spawning countless imitations and lending inspiration to many other game series.

Great OP and I feel picky for saying this, but Alone In The Dark pretty much created the resident evil template in every respect, and was released in 1992.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
yurinka said:
I think this means Capcom will announce at least RE6, a couple of RE HD collections for PS3 and RE for NGP (maybe Mercenaries and Revelations bundled).

I hope so. Usually capcom doesn't really do anything for these anniversaries as far as actual game releases go. I would love to play through the old resident evil games again for trophies. I would love.

Here's how I rank the games I've played:

1.) RE4 - So innovative, infinitely replayable, maintained a horror edge while still having great action, memorable characters, unbelievable graphics for the time, a 10/10 classic in my book though it will probably forever be remembered as the game that killed the true nature of the series.

2.) REmake - The perfect survival horror statement of the series. To date I have not played a more photo-realistic game. Sure, there are games like Crysis that look prettier/higher res, but this one was rendered so well that people passing by my TV mistook it for a movie.

3.) RE2 - My first RE game. I loved how the city felt so real and the danger was non-stop.

4.) RE5 - Played the first half co-op and it was alright, ended up restarting the game solo and didn't care for it. Everything felt like a rehash of RE4 with a less effective story and there were so many scenes that simply should not have been as horrible as they were (first Wesker battle, I'm looking at you). That and spending 30% of my time in the game dicking around with inventory slots and I just didn't like this one.

5.) RE:CV - One of the worst plots in a RE game, but the gameplay was solid and lengthy.

6.) RE3 - RE3 is to RE2 what RE5 is to RE4, just a weak emulation. Didn't care for the characters but the inclusion of the nemesis made it interesting at times.

7.) RE0 - Laughable story and somehow much blurrier graphics compared to REmake, there just wasn't much to this game.

Really, 15 years. God I got old quick.

Wow RE has been part of my life for 15 years. I will celebrate by playing RE DS on my new 3DS this coming week. :)

MrNyarlathotep said:
Great OP and I feel picky for saying this, but Alone In The Dark pretty much created the resident evil template in every respect, and was released in 1992.

I played AitD recently just to see how similar the games are, AitD isn't even the same genre. They are nothing alike except for the setting and camera angles. RE is an action game, its a game where you have to manage weapons, items and health and battle enemies and bosses. AitD is a simple point and click adventure game with a horrible combat system pasted on.

The comparison is lazy, RE is its own game, its the one that started the trend that so many horror games after followed.

Hah, I just recently bought and started to play Darkside Chronicles last week. I'm enjoying it well enough, certainly feels better than Umbrella Chronicles. I think I'll crack out REmake this weekend and give it a playthrough or two, as I haven't played it much and thus only played through Jill's scenario. Good times ahoy!

Top Bottom