• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: HR's PC Preview Build version has leaked

Truant

Ironic that he looks like one of the characters in the game who happens to be a programmer of some sorts, and a huge fucking asshole.

RyL said:
from Gamer.ru

Edited Google translation:

73b643a5660a.jpg

Pardon me, sir or madam. Could I trouble you for a link to the article?

MMaRsu

Banned
Despera said:
The mods decided to ban all talk of the leaked demo before Eidos allowed it on their forums. I guess we need someone to re-confirm GAF's stance on this. Until then, I shall abide.

Has anyone pm'd any of the mods? I would like to actually read some impressions by gaffers. Even though I will buy this anyway on Ps3.

cackhyena

User33 said:
I sent a PM and am awaiting a response. Can't wait to post my impressions if he gives us the okay. That and I want to discuss the choices made/augmentations used with other people.
You are a terrible person. I await your in depth description should the mods approve. ^___^

Zenith

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Has anyone pm'd any of the mods? I would like to actually read some impressions by gaffers. Even though I will buy this anyway on Ps3.

I have. They're talking it over and will let us know.

RyL said:
from Gamer.ru

Edited Google translation:

http://zamolxismd.org/m/s55.radikal.ru/i149/1106/f9/73b643a5660a.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
What leaked GoW3 press kit are they referring to? I don't remember anything of that sort.

But yeah, if true, then the guy's an idiot.

cameron

Revolutionary said:
What leaked GoW3 press kit are they referring to? I don't remember anything of that sort.

But yeah, if true, then the guy's an idiot.

It seems to be faux news. It reads like it. Also, Gamer.ru doesn't have anything about it.

Genesis Knight said:
Guess he won't be getting any more jobs in that industry.

Yea, seriously. What a douche bag that guy is. Repeatedly causing major leaks...

However, the story sounds fishy as well. Who to believe!?

bathala said:
GUYS! Impressions
Its good. Very good. Lots of options to approach a level. Complete stealth paths, don't have to shoot kill or even knock out anyone. Long detailed side quests.

Stealth is better than Alpha Protocol. Probably not as good as MGS series but better than average.

Please don't let this be a bait to ban me

MNC

Schweet. Talking.

Whatever happens, I will surely buy it. The footage I've seen so far only made it that much better for me; I'm even considering a pre-order now.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Girlfriend has the special edition pre ordered. Thank God, because I need that soundtrack.

cackhyena

Lostconfused said:
Its good. Very good. Lots of options to approach a level. Complete stealth paths, don't have to shoot kill or even knock out anyone. Long detailed side quests.

Please don't let this be a bait to ban me
This is nowhere near enough. More please.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've barely touched it, but, I'll just say that I'll now be pre-ordering the deluxe edition or whatever it's called on Steam. I was rather skeptical of the game as of a few days ago, too.

The music is incredible.

cackhyena said:
This is nowhere near enough. More please.
Like what?

Shooting is ok, didn't do much shooting. Isn't as great as CoD but isn't god awful like conviction. Pretty average but should be ok to play the game. Probably won't be too fun to play the whole game like that.

Lots of things to hack, lots of random things to read. Random emails/pads with passwords and key pad codes all over the place.

Inventory is good and management is required. Everything takes up space now like ammo and everything else. But you have a lot less junk than Deus Ex so you don't pick up trash items but you will run out of space so you can't carry every weapon at once, maybe two or three.

First twist is really really obvious, you can figure it out in the first minute of the game. Also it feels a tad short. I would be somewhat disappointed if that really is a 3rd of the game. But in the same way that I am disappointed that Witcher 2 is only 3 chapters long.

Edit: Oh right it falls for the same trap as Alpha Protocol did. Boss fights. Boss fights suck if you don't go for combat upgrades. But they aren't as hard as the ones in Alpha Protocol so if you use all the items you have you might be able to do it without too much trouble.

Van Buren

Let me just say that the leak surprised me positively. A big Deus Ex fan here since its release, and Invisible War, this game isn't. In many ways, I'd say it improves upon the original game's foundations with the way it handles the RPG side of things. Or maybe it's just me being surprised after every Bioware and Bethesda game released this generation has been hit with unnecessary streamlining.

They weren't kidding when they said the game would feature choices and consequences - this is a game that seems to warrant multiple playthroughs.

The writing and story quality might be a point of contention though.

Zeal

Banned
Eidos is handling this amazingly well and showing other developers how to keep their cool in a similar circumstance. This will ultimately benefit them in the longrun and I applaud their coolheadedness with the Fonzi Award:

fonzi.jpg

Deadbeat

Banned
It took 11 years, but theres finally a real Deus Ex sequel coming. It might lack a few things such as locational damage and the ability to comb through all previous logs of any conversation you ever had, but everything about it feels Deus Ex. The world, the atmosphere, the gameplay. Its all there.

Oh right. The levels do feel a bit claustrophobic at times the same way they do in Bloodlines, everything is really small. Also it's very confusing in the beginning and it takes some time of walking around to learn the areas and figure out where you have to go. But that is part of the fun.

Although it feels like the combat levels are really long. Maybe its because on the first playthrough it takes a while to explore the area and find the right path but the combat intensive areas are very long. It feels like its almost kind of padded I would say. You can wonder around the hub for a few hours which is fun but then you get stuck in a combat level for an hour or two trying to progress the story.

The load times are extremely long but I assume that's because its an unfinished build.

Quick Save/Load is in but doesn't work in one or two very small areas. I expect it will be in the final game.

Van Buren said:
The writing and story quality might be a point of contention though.
It's passable. It certainly won't be anything as unintentionally hilarious or entertaining as in Deus Ex. Also lots of fake slang and street talk.

Deadbeat said:
It took 11 years, but theres finally a real Deus Ex sequel coming. It might lack a few things such as locational damage and the ability to comb through all previous logs of any conversation you ever had, but everything about it feels Deus Ex. The world, the atmosphere, the gameplay. Its all there.
Although now you have log of every email and newspaper you have read. A more than fair trade off if you ask me. Especially since you don't have to stick around computers to read all the emails anymore.

KKRT00

Kagari said:
Okay, so since Eidos themselves are saying it's okay... you guys can go ahead and talk about it.
Are screenshots allowed?

BTW cover system is excellent, the best i've ever used. Game seems fun, but graphics are awful, so awful that i wonder why havent they used unreal engine ...

Also played the whole thing with a 360 gamedpad. It might be the better way to play the game than mouse and keyboard. The UI and everything else was made for a pad. The only time I felt I needed a keyboard is when typing in passwords.
KKRT00 said:
BTW cover system is excellent, the best i've ever used. Game seems fun, but graphics are awful, so awful that i wonder why havent they used unreal engine ...
Same. Cover system is great. Also those swat turns and cover transitions look badass.

Exuro

KKRT00 said:
Screens are allowed?

What graphics settings are available?

Lostconfused said:
Also played the whole thing with a 360 gamedpad. It might be the better way to play the game than mouse and keyboard. The UI and everything else was made for a pad. The only time I felt I needed a keyboard is when typing in passwords.

Same. Cover system is great. Also those swat turns and cover transitions look badass.
Isn't there a PC UI with a hotbar?

Zenith

Banned
That "highlighting will ruin everything" argument was certainly a bust. It's certainly no magic secret finder. A perfect case of why you should stick by your design decisions and not give into a bunch of hysterics from people who have never played it.

As I feared the weapon DLC pack dumps the guns into your inventory at the start of the game rather than integrating it into the merchant shops. Not only do they unbalance the early levels but they take up a ton of inventory space. Ended up dumping the sniper rifle.

Pre-rendered cutscenes with ingame assets was a bit of an odd choice.

Love Jensen's voice. Love how the guns feel. Semi-auto pistol and SMG are my favourites.

Headshots are insta-kill on unarmoured foes. Surprised at how they went the "tactical shooter" route on dishing and receiving damage.

Detroit hub art design is out of this world. Graphics look great. The characters actually look like people (except for Pritchard), like that black lady you pass when someone drops those boxes in the intro. You can tell her personality just from looking at her.

cackhyena

Deadbeat said:
That kinda bums me out. In a game meant to have alternative paths including just subduing an enemy, I would lie to think using lethal force weapons to disarm or wound an enemy would be an option, but oh well. Can't have it all. LA Noire is a good example of really taking you out of the experience with that kind of lacking detail.

abunai

e: so i managed to word-jizz a long version of what everyone else said in the time it took me to type it derp

This game is good. Good.
I can't really divulge into story stuff right now as I have only dabbled in roughly the first 90 minutes but I can say for sure (speaking as a huge fan of the first that knows every little detail about the game and has played it 10+ times):

The music is beyond superb and I am now definitely buying the Augmented Edition just for the soundtrack; the throwback to the UNATCO theme just plastered a huge grin on my face. It really sets the mood where appropriate too. This linked into the atmosphere, too. In the original Deus Ex you really could feel that the world was falling apart, in DXHR I definitely was feeling the tension surrounding the science of human augmentation taking off. God knows where it'll go after I get further into the story but it was great so far.

Artistically, JJB has nailed the direction. Any fears of going off into a high science-fiction can be put to rest because once you get in the game and see all the little details that's been put in (even at the low graphic settings lock-in in this build), there is a clear class shift between the pro-life and pro-augmentation activists. It feels dirty in the warehouses, the world feels lived in, very alive (ironic considering most props are static, but hey). If the first game were to be re-made with today's technology, I could see it being not much different than DXHR (asides from the revolution touches, naturally).

Mechanically, it works. I love lean keys more than my mother (hyperbole yay), but the cover feels good. Yes, I would still prefer lean but this is not some dumb HURR GEARS OF BLADE RUNNER game. Being an early build there were some bugs though, transitions still felt awkward and going into third person for climbing ladders is and always will be stupid. I did not get far enough to customise my Adam so I'll leave it at that.

--

Things I did not like:

Pre-rendered cutscenes. WHAT. Naturally, these things may change between now and August but god damn, those cutscenes were BAD. The bitrate was low, compression all over the gaff. And for me, it did something worse. It took the control away from the player. In a friggin Deus Ex game. An introduction I would be happy with, but these things were popping up quite a bit.

The mouse controls. It feels janky. I know that Nixxes have assured there is no accel/smoothing in the game but it feels off. However, a friend has told me that it's just a bug when you choose your aspect ratio to be 'automatic' rather than specifying your actual ratio. The field of view could stand to be larger too, but that is a minor quibble as I am used to playing Valve games with a FoV of 90+.

You should get excited for this game, basically.

Just pre-ordered the augmented edition..

I played last night until 4:30 am..

I decided to start the game over with my headphones, which is truly awesome.

The atmosphere enveloped me, the attention to detail in every area of the game music, sound effects, environments is staggering.

I decided to make this game as difficult as possible for myself.

I'm playing on "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty (the highest difficulty level) with the following options -

Automatic Inventory Management - Off
Takedown prompts - Off
Object Highlight - Off
Waypoint - Off

I decided to take the non-lethal, close quarters combat approach.. I've been trying to avoid confrontation when at all possible.

I've spent several hours on the first mission alone trying to get through without being spotted by anybody.

I made some good progress last night and am almost done with the mission.

In my playing, I've been through the areas several times.. and it seems like every time I go through I find something that I missed before. On the 4th trip through one of the rooms, I caught a glimpse of a hidden air vent that I had missed before. They hid it behind some crates that didn't look moveable.

I've only gotten one Praxis Point (used to unlock augs) and I was agonizing over which of the many areas to put it in. This time i put it into strength.. but I'm sure I'm going to wish I had chosen something else later.

I am thoroughly impressed with this game, the only real complaint that I have is the pre-rendered low res cutscenes.. it's a little jarring to have the in-game segments look better than the cutscenes, but I don't expect them to change it.

It's a minor complaint in a game that they have obviously put a lot of effort into, and kudos to EM for adding the ability to disable the helpful gameplay systems for people who want an experience closer to the original game!

Can't wait to play more tonight.

KKRT00

Lostconfused said:
VSync
AA
AF

That's about it. DX11 options are busted in the build.
And AA is their EdgeAA, which actually dont do anything...

There is also option to turn on/off post-processing and shadows. Game has average SSAO implementation [good radius, bad resolution].

abunai said:
The mouse controls. It feels janky. I
This too, they actually feels like an emulation of analogs.

Deadbeat

Banned
cackhyena said:
That kinda bums me out.
I should specify I mean location damage on yourself. Theres no situation like Deus Ex where you can blow out your legs and you are crawling everywhere.
Van Buren said:
The graphics default to low settings, I think. It still manages to look decent owing to its art direction.
Comparison to trailers show the player models and environment looking the same.

Robobandit said:
I've only gotten one Praxis Point (used to unlock augs) and I was agonizing over which of the many areas to put it in. This time i put it into strength.. but I'm sure I'm going to wish I had chosen something else later.
Doesn't really matter. Upgrades just make things easier. But there are multiple solutions to each problem. Big crate in your way you can't move? Put a smaller crate next to it and jump over. Get the jump aug and jump over it. Use the shock wave gun to blow it out of the way.
Van Buren said:
The graphics default to low settings, I think. It still manages to look decent owing to its art direction.
Personally I think the low settings is a lie/exaggeration.

Since it's now allowed...

I've had the game since about 2 hours after it leaked.

It truly captures the original Deus Ex's atmosphere and feeling, they've got it spot on in fact.

Not sure if it's true that the graphics are at their lowest settings, but I've got it running in DirectX 11 with maxed out options and it looks great. Texture work is high-res, character models look good, and it runs at 60-80 FPS constant. If the final version looks better, it's going to be impressive indeed.

So far I haven't encountered very many bugs. The cover system feels straight out of Rainbow Six Vegas, which is a good thing. Gunplay feels solid, and the 'feel' of the guns is great. I'm playng it with a 360 gamepad (I know, shoot me now) and the controls are very slick and easy to use. You have the option of having pop-up action guides come up that help you figure out what you can do when in cover. You can actually transition to an adjoining side of a wall when in cover, which means you can totally circle around an object without leaving cover. Why don't more games do this?

The voicework is really impressive. Every character you meet feels unique, rather than being Random NPC #56 With The Same Voice Actor (shame on you, Oblivion.)

There's a lot more to say, but I don't have the time to post truly detailed impressions. The game looks like it's going to be a home-run, and a truly worthy sequel to Deus Ex. I'll be pre-ordering my PC version today because of how good this leak is.

Congrats to Eidos, this should be a big hit for them this year.

cackhyena

Deadbeat said:
I should specify I mean location damage on yourself. Theres no situation like Deus Ex where you can blow out your legs and you are crawling everywhere.

Comparison to trailers show the player models and environment looking the same.
Oh, I see. So shooting enemy hands holding a gun will disarm them? Things like that?

Truant

Impressions from yalls favorite poster Truant, true TLDR style, just the way yalls like it.

- Yes, it feels like a Deus Ex. Different than the first, in many ways, but the feel is there.
- Missions are fairly open. I actually managed to leave behind a bunch of hostages since I was so focused on the stealth. That was a big part of the mission, and I completely ignored it.
- You can talk your way out of almost any situation. Almost overpowered, but I enjoy the writing, so I don't really care.
- Guns feel weak, but headshots are thankfully instakill. Most enemies go down in one or two shots with the revolver, but the feel of the guns still sucks.
- Music and sound are both incredible. Very atmospheric.
- It looks surprisingly good even on low settings, especially the outdoor hub areas. It's one of those games you have to see for yourself to really appreciate. The artstyle makes the game look dated in videos.
- KB/M and 360 pad are interchangeable. Move the stick, and gamepad mode is activated instantly, with full hud/menu changes and all. Same goes if you move the mouse or press a button on the KB. Awesome stuff.
- OLD SCHOOL CLUNKY INVENTORY FUCK YES. Descriptions for all items. Manual tetricide.
- Augs seem pretty limited. No supercool stuff from what I've gathered so far.
- XP gained from killing enemies, hacking, and other stuff.
- Dialogue is good. Jensen is perfect, nails the DX vibe, sounds like a younger JC most of the time.
- Disappointingly few items to pick up, but that could be just this early build. The reason it sucks is because you come across these awesome rooms with tons of stuff laying around, and you can't interact with anything.
- Stealth is SUPER FUN. Works like it should, no stupid meters or indicators. If you can be seen, you can be seen. If you make noise, they will hear you. Takedowns are cool, but the animations take a little too long.
- Looting enemies. Fuck yes.
- Bodies can be dragged around and hidden.
- "hidden" side missions that don't pop up in your quest log, but reward you with items and XP. For example, you find an email regarding some guy having stolen a bunch of supplies, and hidden them somewhere. You eventually track them down, and you can keep them for yourself. Fun stuff like that.

I'll be taking questions, so shoot.

KKRT00

BoobPhysics101 said:
Not sure if it's true that the graphics are at their lowest settings, but I've got it running in DirectX 11 with maxed out options and it looks great. Texture work is high-res, character models look good, and it runs at 60-80 FPS constant. If the final version looks better, it's going to be impressive indeed.
Hows AA in DX 11 mode? Hows shadows and reflections? Because cubemaps are so horrible in DX 9, that i cant look at the floor ;\
How characters? Have more details?

Dennis

Banned
Why are people posting impressions from a leaked game?

I would have assumed that was a no no...?

I hope you intend to buy the full game.

Truant said:
- Augs seem pretty limited. No supercool stuff from what I've gathered so far.
Wat?

You have see through walls, punch through walls, invisibility, safe fall, that typhoon system. What supper cool stuff did you want?
DennisK4 said:
I hope you intend to buy the full game.
Well then it better come out soon.

KKRT00 said:
Hows AA in DX 11 mode? Hows shadows and reflections? Because cubemaps are so horrible in DX 9, that i cant look at the floor ;\
How characters? Have more details?

AA is nonexistent in DX 11 mode, it seems. There's two modes: EdgeAA and FXAA. I've tried both and I can't really tell that it's working.

Shadows and reflections look fine so far, but I can tell they haven't gone through and really added every detail to the levels yet. Despite that, the game looks fairly impressive. I noticed an image quality bump when I went from my 5870M to my 6970M a couple of days ago, and the game looks really clean on my 42" HDTV.

I'll take screenshots if you like. If the game looks this good on low settings, it's going to look fucking fantastic on maxed out settings.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
can you club homeless people with a crow bar?

if there answer is yes, this is truly the DX sequel I have been waiting for

Top Bottom