• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel: "The Blockbusters Look All The Same"

Shiggy

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Your current game "Rayman Origins" is developed by a pretty small team compared to your last title "King Kong". Was this a deliberate decision?

Michel Ancel: Yes, looking back at last year, we only had five to ten people working on Rayman Origins. I wanted to have only person working on backgrounds, one working on sound design/composing, another one for the characters. That way the creative process of working on a game is much more personal and intensive. Working with a small team means being able to concentrate on small surprises and the special 'touch'.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: How important is adding something personal and having the opportunity to maintain control over designing the game?

Ancel: There are many personal ideas. In this title, there are various cultural elements, which are influenced by art (especially French art). We work together with artists from the best French art academies and we ensure that they have a huge influence on gameplay.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Do you consider games as art?

Ancel: That's hard to say, but yes, I'd say so, as we start with an empty page just as all other artists. We see games as an opportunity to express emotions and to tell a story, not only as something to beat highscores and reaching certain goals. It's a way to take a look into fantasy. You don't need to show everything in games, instead you may create noises, which players hear and then they start to use their imagination. These elements, found in movies and books, are also part of games.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: The industry as a whole looks to be taking a different direction - using large teams and immense budgets. Do you also consider these blockbuster titles as art?

Ancel: It depends. Even the largest games can be creative. Creating a movie, a lot of people are involved, but at first only the writer and the director dertermine the direction of the film. I don't see direct relation between the number of people involved and the artistic direction. If you want to achieve something, it's important to create something personal and avoid having to make compromises with marketing and similar divisions - at least at the beginning. Producing a game does not mean calculating the share of fantasy and science fiction.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: It appears as if this is exactly the production method used though.

Ancel: I don't think that this strategy will be successful in the long-term. Short-term, it might be very cool, it might work as the gaming industry didn't have that many blockbusters and that high budgets only some years ago. But the blockbusters look all the same. It's purely based on mathematics, the addition of certain elements. I belive that people will look for deep experiences instead of huge effects in the long-term.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Eight years ago, you worked on a deep gaming experience, Beyond Good & Evil, which commercially failed. Do you believe things have changed since then?

Ancel: I'm not sure whether much has changed since then, but I think that we have different opportunities with other platforms today. We could do some experiments with such a game today: Providing it on downloadable services or making it for the iPad in one way or the other.

beyond-good-evil-2-unofficial-title-20090514000421473.jpg

SPIEGEL ONLINE: In the past two years Western and detective games sold well. Such games didn't have a much of a chance until then commercially.

Ancel: Nonetheless, these games place huge emphasis on weapons or a violent story. They are interesting and fine, but Beyond Good&Evil was different: The protagonist was female, she had no weapon, she was journalist. And that made potential buyers somewhat careful. The boxart did not have a weapon but a camera. In fact, we even replaced the camera with a weapon [on the boxart only, I assume] and we noticed that we could sell much more games then. It might be the same story, but with an armed male protagonist on the boxart it will sell much better. Still, I did not want to sacrifice my perception of the game for that.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: How do new platforms such as the iPad change the market and the production of games?

Ancel: I like to compare it to movies. On the one hand you have huge cinemas, but then you also have TVs, and nowadays PCs and YouTube. I believe that games on HD consoles and mobile platforms will always be made. At the same time the question of content becomes more than question on which platforms we play these games.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Will creativity return with these new platforms?

Ancel: I believe that small games will become creative and that this sector got too little attention till now. There are new concepts in the gaming industry, but it's just the same as in the movie industry, these concepts don't do harm to other concepts. A game such as Rayman Origins would not work on the iPad as a huge part of the game is playing together. That's only possible on a home console [so why is it coming to 3DS and PC then?]. A Rayman title for iPad would look vastly different.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: You seem to be a unique person in the gaming industry. Your team works in an old mansion near Mediterranean sea, whereas you competitors work in large studios located in office blocks. How did you reach such independence.

Ancel: I can only talk about myself, but production of games can be very difficult, you face much pressure. On the one hand gamers want things they are familiar with, on the other hand they want to be surprised. These demands need to be aligned. That's similar to listening to the new album of your favourite band: If it sounds like the last album, it's boring. If it's sounds completely different, it's not what you expect that band to be. Thus you need to balance old and new ideas and concepts.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Which was the last game that really surprised you?

Ancel: That might have been Limbo. Right now I'm anticipating The Last Guardian. And that's what I mean: We know something about that game's world as we've played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Still, we want to be surprised. This is the type of game I want to make.

Games Ancel worked on in the last 10 years:
kong2_2.jpg

King Kong - 2005

r4_background_ciel_col1u6h.jpg

Rayman 4 - Wii - transformed into Raving Rabbids minigame festival due to strict deadlines

beyond-good-and-evil-2-t2.jpg

Beyond Good & Evil 2 - PS3/Xbox 360 - On hold since 2009

image-221391-galleryV9-rhbf.jpg

Rayman Origins - PC/3DS/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii - 2011

Ancel is currently on Tin Tin which will surely have a great visual style in line with the film.
And be 3 hours long.

Cwarrior

If only Ancel would leave ubisoft, then maybe we would get some games from him again(with a budget).

This man is awesome, sad that ubisoft is holding him back.

szaromir

Banned
Shiggy said:
Games Ancel worked on in the last 10 years:
http://ui01.gamespot.com/544/kong2_2.jpg[IMG]
King Kong - 2005

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/r4_background_ciel_col1u6h.jpg[IMG]
Rayman 4 - Wii - transformed into Raving Rabbids minigame festival due to strict deadlines

[IMG]http://www.hdlost.com/thumbs/beyond-good-and-evil-2-t2.jpg[IMG]
Beyond Good & Evil 2 - PS3/Xbox 360 - On hold since 2009

[IMG]http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-221391-galleryV9-rhbf.jpg[IMG]
Rayman Origins - PC/3DS/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii - 2011[/QUOTE]
You missed the game he worked in 2001-2003 lol.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Didn't expect that comment from someone like Ancel, SMH

edit, nvm. Ancel never said that. Bad OP!

Empty

it's good to see him talking again. i was getting a little tired of david cage as the biggest public creative voice in french games development.

Anso

Except all those games that DOESN'T look the same but also happens to be less impressive in the actual gameplay department.

Fearing Ancel's game might end up there.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Teetris said:
Didn't expect that comment from someone like Ancel, SMH

edit, nvm. Ancel never said that. Bad OP!
Not everyone understand that quotation marks are used for quotations.

Lime

The problem with any billion dollar creative industry is that most investors and publishers focus on profits or return of investments. The bigger the investment, the safer the bet has to be. That means appealing to as many demographics as possible or simply the lowest common denominator. These observations clash with the creative individuals in the industry (well, at least the respectable ones), whose vision relies on producing works of art. That means producing something of worth in terms of intellectual and emotional depth, but this depth can be inhibited by the interests of the investors and publishers.

The bigger the budget, the less creative the game is. That is why so many blockbusters look alike (betting safe), while we're seeing much more creativity in the smaller budgeted games (Digital distribution channels, app stores, etc.). This is not restricted to the video game industry.

/armchair analysis

AceBandage said:
2mz5vt.jpg

Which is a shame. Riding the giant spider looked fun.

Games with a modern (or near future) warfare theme looking alike, imagine that. Should I add Bulletstorm/Borderlands/Halo, would that make it all better?

Let's pick and choose a handful of games which support my point and ignore all the contradictory evidence!

If all the games you play look the same then maybe you need to stop playing the same fucking games all the time.

lightless_shado said:
play it and find out. It has a decent story.

I played it when it came out, and I replayed it as an XBLA title. I liked it, both times, although the second encounter made the flaws stand out a lot more. The story is conspiracy standard, and the gameplay is thin as hell. The lasting impression was that it had a unique look and good music, nothing else felt particularly groundbreaking or even great.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Games with a modern (or near future) warfare theme looking alike, imagine that.
Based on those screens, they all use the same special effects (blood in screen + screen fading) and color palette, too. IMO, there's no real good reason why all these games should use the same effects.

Why would you do that? said:
Based on those screens, they all use the same special effects (blood in screen + screen fading) and color palette, too. IMO, there's no real good reason why all these games should use the same effects.

Every genre develops standards. The bloodspatter is a proven effective and popular indicator of player damage, as blood tends to let most people understand that shit is going down.

There's your good reason. Rainbow Six Vegas did it better, though.

Calcaneus

jim-jam bongs said:
Let's pick and choose a handful of games which support my point and ignore all the contradictory evidence!

If all the games you play look the same then maybe you need to stop playing the same fucking games all the time.
Some people who complain about FPS games don't even play them or only play a few. They just complain about them. I bought exactly one FPS game this gen, somehow I was able to find a bunch of cool games regardless.

I guess I could moan about how the console FPS is killing everything, but it literally doesn't affect me.

El Sloth

Banned
What's with the thread title? Ancel never says that. He was specifically talking about blockbuster titles.

Edit: Comment no longer relevant.

Ancel makes some interesting points about smaller teams, but looking at the OP's example of games he's worked on this past decade I would say the good of having larger teams outweigh the bad. At least for the games he wants to do.

kevm3

I can agree with that notion in a lot of ways. They don't look exactly the same, but I'm tired of the realistic, gritty, post-apocalyptic setting. We do have a few games that are turning things around on the artistic front such as El Shaddai and Journey.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
AltogetherAndrews said:
Games with a modern (or near future) warfare theme looking alike, imagine that. Should I add Bulletstorm/Borderlands/Halo, would that make it all better?
Why? All those have some pretty distinctive looks to them. All three play fairly different compared to the other three listed on the picture. Its a fair shot since all three do go for the same audience the one created.

Large budget titles are still in a funnel, but the expansion of DD services have given me a fantastic variety. And lets not forget how many shitty SF clones there were before? Or Mortal Kombat? Or Mario? Where some were just copy and paste jobs with new skins. Its definitely not a new that many titles do look and play the same.

Izayoi

Banned
farnham said:
i dont get your comment as pokemon black and white sold quite well
jnyyC.jpg

Most of the so-called "blockbusters" do look very similar. However, claiming "all" of them look the same is rather silly. As pointed out, there is a lot of variety. Not that I would be opposed to mixing up the shooter genre with some stuff that's a little less dudebro or anything, but as of right now it's not like we're in a really terrible position or anything.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anso said:
Picked those titles on purpose even, I'm smart like that!
Hell, you could even throw Halo: Reach in there as a curveball to those military shooters.

Anso

Lyphen said:
Hell, you could even throw Halo: Reach in there as a curveball to those military shooters.

Yeah, probably, never played it so I don't really know how it looks. :) Quick google search says you're right tho!

Firestorm

shintoki said:
Why? All those have some pretty distinctive looks to them. All three play fairly different compared to the other three listed on the picture. Its a fair shot since all three do go for the same audience the one created.

Large budget titles are still in a funnel, but the expansion of DD services have given me a fantastic variety. And lets not forget how many shitty SF clones there were before? Or Mortal Kombat? Or Mario? Where some were just copy and paste jobs with new skins. Its definitely not a new that many titles do look and play the same.
but they're not longer the genre i like so that's bad!!!!

xbulletholes said:
one genre.

but still yes, i'd rather have crazy awesome imaginative fps games.
not entirely sure where mr ancel is getting the 'no weapon' bit of beyond good & evil, though...

Crazy, yes

Awesome, sure.

Imaginative???? Um......

Top Bottom