• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 3DS E3 Trailer

jediyoshi

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2011/03/mario_kart/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9Cid1RwDQ

01top.jpg

03top.jpg

06top.jpg

04top.jpg

Afrodium

Banned
I don't want hang-gliders or underwater karts! I just want some good old fashioned racing! However, Mario Kart DS kicked ass, so here's hoping this game follows instead of imitating the abysmal Mario Kart Wii.

Davey Cakes

Afrodium said:
I don't want hang-gliders or underwater karts! I just want some good old fashioned racing! However, Mario Kart DS kicked ass, so here's hoping this game follows instead of imitating the abysmal Mario Kart Wii.
Mario Kart DS was awesome, agreed. Mario Kart Wii was not abysmal though. I don't know why people think that. It has some issues with item balance and AI but it's the best console Mario Kart game by a pretty wide margin.

Jarate said:
PLEASE NO POWER SLIDING ABUSING

TAKE OUT SNAKING
Mario Kart Wii made power sliding great with its "graduated buildup" approach. That's one of the points where the game actually made things more balanced. I bet for the 3DS game they'll include the same superior sliding method.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Afrodium said:

Diddy Kong Racing was phenomenal and had both.

Davey Cakes

Gliders and underwater riding are cool things to add in. I can see why Nintendo included them. With each iteration of Mario Kart it's nice for the fundamentals to stay the same, but I enjoy when new things are added as well in order to make for quirkier track designs.

Galang

Banned
Buying a 3DS for this + Mario 3D. Don't like the looks of the graphics, but I've enjoyed every iteration of Mario Kart regardless.

Rash said:
Mario Kart DS was awesome, agreed. Mario Kart Wii was not abysmal though. I don't know why people think that. It has some issues with item balance and AI but it's the best console Mario Kart game by a pretty wide margin.

Aside from the unbalance items (more than usual anyway) and single player grand prix, I loved the Wii version. Pretty much the only wii game I've taken online for a considerable amount of time, never had any lag ever. Starting up a game did take too long though. Would of preferred four tracks to be picked first, instead of waiting after each one.

Davey Cakes

Kenak said:
Why? That was my favorite part about Mario Kart DS. Actually gave an element of skill to the game.
Yeah, an element of skill that breaks the game and makes it completely non-enjoyable for anyone who doesn't snake.

I'm all for rewarding the player's abilities, but something like snaking is the wrong way to go about it. It should be more about knowledge of the courses, knowledge of the items, and basic strategy/timing. I mean, this is a kart racer for pete's sake.

I was a bit worried when I saw Mario hang gliding. I didn't want a DKRC type game with flying and water vehicles racing alongside the karts. This looks like fun though. It looks like they're doing it right.

Apath

Rash said:
Yeah, an element of skill that breaks the game and makes it completely non-enjoyable for anyone who doesn't snake.

I'm all for rewarding the player's abilities, but something like snaking is the wrong way to go about it. It should be more about knowledge of the courses, knowledge of the items, and basic strategy/timing. I mean, this is a kart racer for pete's sake.
My problem with Mario Kart has always been that those other elements you listed end up being so simplistic that after playing a couple of times on each track, everybody is an expert and the game becomes about the luck of the draw on what items you get. Even on the DS I felt that still played a crucial role, but snaking gives much more focus on controlling your kart, knowing the track, and being mindful of what's around you. I feel without it the game favors luck just a little too much. For that reason I feel the game has never evolved beyond a simple party game to be played with friends, for me.

Davey Cakes

Kenak said:
For that reason I feel the game has never evolved beyond a simple party game to be played with friends, for me.
Then it's really just about what we, personally, want out of the game.

The "party game" aspect of Mario Kart is pretty much the reason I still enjoy the series. I'm not much of a racing game fan but getting together to play some Kart is always a good time.

I'm the same way when it comes to the Smash Brothers games. Yeah it's satisfying when I feel myself improving, but what keeps me around is the party potential.

Morokh

gimme a wii like online system and i'm all in !

And let me design my logo DS like and customize my car 3DS like and use a crazy Mii ! :p

Plinko said:
Diddy Kong Racing was terrible and had both.

Semi-fixed. Nah, I don't really think it was a terrible game, just terribly overrated. It was nowhere near as fun as MK64. MKWii is the only Mario Kart I've never played. I should fix that some time.

Clunker

When I saw the trailer footage at the conference, the first thing that came to mind was "Yep, that looks like Mario Kart, all right."

I'll still buy it and love it, don't get me wrong. :)

Clunker said:
When I saw the trailer footage at the conference, the first thing that came to mind was "Yep, that looks like Mario Kart, all right."

I'll still buy it and love it, don't get me wrong. :)

Well, what should it look like? Burnout?

NTom64

The customisation aspect sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

And like others have said, definitely getting a Diddy Kong Racing vibe here. This is a good thing.

thefil

Looked neat. Though now that I'm out of high-school I'm wondering if it's even worth playing a portable Mario Kart when MKWii is already available to me.

P.S. Not a jab at high school students, my lifestyle just changed.

DKCR themed stage and returning Maple Treeway please me, now just let me race as a freaking Shyguy please! he's even in Mario Party 9 now, you don't want to have inferior character choice to a Mario Party game do you Mario Kart?

If they're going to discontinue Diddy Kong Racing and throw in elements of its air and water vehicle gameplay, they may as well throw in the coolest thing about that game; its adventure mode.

Cautiously optimistic about this game since the last Mario Kart game I didn't find to be bland as hell was Mario Kart Advanced Circuit, which I think is way underrated. Also in the minority that thought Mario Kart Wii was a step up from the terrible Double Dash!! (ironically the only thing good about that game for me Nintendo will probably never bring back; the two person karts) and throughly generic and slow Mario Kart DS, though that didn't stop blue shells and other item spam from ruining the experience a lot of the time.

rpmurphy

They've totally reduced the top screen HUD to a bare minimum, which is nice. Anyone have a list yet of returning courses from the new trailer?

KarmaCow

Gliding could be interesting but the underwater stuff just looks pointless. It's the same as on land, but with water around you.

Tucah

you speak so well
Looks like pretty much every other Mario Kart which is exactly what I want. This will probably be the 3DS system seller this holiday.

KarmaCow said:
Gliding could be interesting but the underwater stuff just looks pointless. It's the same as on land, but with water around you.

I'm guessing items behave differently underwater, as well as your handling. Maybe shells travel slower, or you can't use boosting (the power sliding version)

dkeane

Tucah said:
Looks like pretty much every other Mario Kart which is exactly what I want. This will probably be the 3DS system seller this holiday.
Looks like turns will take a wider radius underwater, also what happens to items underwater? Could be a new way to dodge certain attacks.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm pretty excited for this. Gliding and diving are welcomed additions. But I thought it was disappointing visually, especially in comparison to how good Mario 3D looked.

Taker666 said:
All this talk of Mario Kart yet nobody has mentioned the most important thing..

..speed-up coins are back. :D

besides being used to speed up your cart,
coins you collect during races should be used to purchase the different kart bodies, wheels, etc. that were shown in the trailer
It would be more interesting than just unlocking different parts through the GP, no?

KarmaCow

Zoramon089 said:
I'm guessing items behave differently underwater, as well as your handling. Maybe shells travel slower, or you can't use boosting (the power sliding version)

Hmm true, didn't think of that. Lightning could be interesting, heh.

bluehat9

KarmaCow said:

Maybe bubbles fly past you with 3D or something? I just assumed the hang glider was to make the 3D stand out like in Pilotwings.

I don't really think the graphics look that great either, but I guess I'll just wait and see how it looks in 3D.

dkeane

bluehat9 said:
Maybe bubbles fly past you with 3D or something? I just assumed the hang glider was to make the 3D stand out like in Pilotwings.

I don't really think the graphics look that great either, but I guess I'll just wait and see how it looks in 3D.
You can download it (the video) on the eShop, it looks great.

The M.O.B

Hopefully gliding has replaced the blast barrels, I didn't particularly care to not have any control at that part, now even in the air you have chances to pass others.

And can you tip over underwater?, the car goes very tilted when turning underwater.

Top Bottom