• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 3DS E3 Trailer

mutsu

Wow... watching that hands on video gives me hope again. The trailer Nintendo has put out looked quite generic, but the actual gameplay video now puts that to rest. Framerate and gameplay seems super smooth and fast! Looking forward to playing this with many friends for many hours...

BowieZ

Banned
You should know by now that Nintendo generally always releases the least impressive first couple of trailers possible.

PSGames

Playing this and Luigis Mansion at E3 made me a believer in the 3DS. The 3D really does add a lot to the visuals.

Erethian

PSGames said:
Playing this and Luigis Mansion at E3 made me a believer in the 3DS. The 3D really does add a lot to the visuals.

Mario Kart is easily the biggest 3DS release this year. Or even of the systems first few years, arguably.

It's easy to forget that Mario Kart Wii shipped 27 million copies, and Mario Kart DS shipped somewhere above 20 million.

Haven't seen that DKC video before. Hype has arrived.

The thing that saddens me though is that this game feels more like "Mario Kart DS 2" as opposed to a sequel to Mario Kart Wii. I mean, Mario Kart DS was great, but after playing MKWii with tricks + a heavy Rosalina on a motorcycle, I don't know if I'll be in as much love with MK3DS.

MKDS had a lot of content, though. Good multiplayer modes, challenges, etc. With the MK3DS store, I'm sure it too will have a lot of content.

Erethian said:
Mario Kart is easily the biggest 3DS release this year. Or even of the systems first few years, arguably.

It's easy to forget that Mario Kart Wii shipped 27 million copies, and Mario Kart DS shipped somewhere above 20 million.
Yeah, MKWii is probably the best selling game of all time now. Have no idea how that happened.

Ugh, fucking motorcycles...here's hoping they don't show up in this game. I felt like they downright broke online multiplayer for the folks that spent the time and efforts to master the things.

AbsoluteZero said:
Ugh, fucking motorcycles...here's hoping they don't show up in this game. I felt like they downright broke online multiplayer for the folks that spent the time and efforts to master the things.
In what way did it break the online multiplayer, do you think?

Why would you do that? said:
In what way did it break the online multiplayer, do you think?

They always felt like they were going twice as fast as the karts. I couldn't adapt to the terrible turning so I'm just poking along in my cart while everyone on motorcycles just whizzes past me.

watershed

Banned
I can't wait for this game to drop. If the online is good, I will sink 100's of hours into it. One issue though, I wish the glider was button activated instead of automatic. That would add another layer of strategy over when to deploy and how long to deploy the glider. I know there is already a bit of strategy in terms of controlling the pitch and angle but still I think a manual launch would make that new mechanic more interesting. I can only imagine how people would try to break the game with it like maybe catching air in unexpected places.

Gravijah

AbsoluteZero said:
They always felt like they were going twice as fast as the karts. I couldn't adapt to the terrible turning so I'm just poking along in my cart while everyone on motorcycles just whizzes past me.

Getting used to "in" style drifting has completely screwed me when I try to play certain other MK titles. :(

PSGames

Truth101 said:
You played Luigi's Mansion, tell me how was it?
Shame on me but I've always thought the GC version looked silly and never gave it a chance but surprisngly the game is really fun! And the graphics were perfect for the 3ds. The ghosts, the lighting and other effects all looked great in 3D. Day 1 for me after the E3 demo.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Huh, the E3 trailer looked pretty underwhelming but that Eurogamer preview and those gameplay videos looked really good. Now I'm hyped.

BowieZ

Banned
Gravijah said:
Getting used to "in" style drifting has completely screwed me when I try to play certain other MK titles. :(
This.

I hope we can select what style of drifting... I don't understand why one style (inner or outer) is specific to each different model of kart/bike...?

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'd say it's the only way since we havent played the game still

Well, some people actually have played it, it was playable at E3, remember? But aside from that, I'm pretty sure he was referring to "game designed for a 400x240 ratio looks awful blown up for high resolution display," when I was already accounting for that.

MicH

This is my most anticipated 3DS game. I absolutely love Mario Kart, and have owned every game in the series so far. This can't come soon enough!!

Mr_Brit

Banned
PSGames said:
If the game is 60fps in 3D that means it's being rendered at 120fps. Pretty impressive.
No it doesn't. It means it's rendering at 800x240 at 60FPS and nothing more. The only difference between 2D and 3D is the rendering resolution.

Red Bull RB5

Neo Member
Plinko said:
Most irritating discussion I've ever been in on GAF. Couldn't believe that not one of them would admit it was a glitch that broke the game.

Even the staff ghost in MKDD used MTs on a straight...
It worked wonderful in MKDD, in MKDS however it was very bad, because you didn't lose any speed when you were offroad and the unlike MKDD there was no straight correlation on the amount of MTs and the difficulty to make one.

Forbidding snaking is still ridiculous, it's like banning headshots in a shooter.
There was some snaking in MK64 and a lot in MKDD, so there is no way that the system in general could be a glitch in MKDS. Nintendo had to be completely retarded, if this was a gltich and they haven't learned anything from the previous games.

It's disappointing to see, that they recycle the MK Wii gameplay. At least there are no bikes.
But most important is the online mode, please don't screw this up again, Nintendo!

Electivirus said:
The game is looking fantastic so far. I played the hell out of MKDS, and it looks to be the same for MK3D.
Same here. This game is quickly leaping to the top of my most wanted games this fall.

and for the record, I'm thrilled to see no signs of motorcycles in this game! They have no business being in a Mario Kart game!

PSGames

Mr_Brit said:
No it doesn't. It means it's rendering at 800x240 at 60FPS and nothing more. The only difference between 2D and 3D is the rendering resolution.

Ah I see. So in 2D it's only rendering 400x240? Is it possible to render 800x240 in 2D?

Celine

Mr_Brit said:

However this is a sure purchase for me, sunk 100+ hours on MK DS thanks to online mode.
This game, Super Mario 3D ( after MK ) and Nano Assault ( at cheap price ) are my likely 3DS purchases this current year.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Red Bull RB5 said:
Even the staff ghost in MKDD used MTs on a straight...
It worked wonderful in MKDD, in MKDS however it was very bad, because you didn't lose any speed when you were offroad and the unlike MKDD there was no straight correlation on the amount of MTs and the difficulty to make one.

Forbidding snaking is still ridiculous, it's like banning headshots in a shooter.
There was some snaking in MK64 and a lot in MKDD, so there is no way that the system in general could be a glitch in MKDS. Nintendo had to be completely retarded, if this was a gltich and they haven't learned anything from the previous games.

I think you answered the question right here. I had no problem with mini-turbos in MKDD or MK Wii. I thought the system was great. MKDS, though, was different, as you yourself say you didn't lose speed when you were offroad and there was no straight correlation. It made absolutely no sense physically and was a glitch that broke the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AbsoluteZero said:

The main problem was that they didn't allow you to pick a Kart-only or Bike-only race online. That would have fixed the issue instantly. I hated online MK Wii because more than half the time every racer I'd be facing would be Funky Kong on a bike. When that happens, it's obvious something is unbalanced.

M3d10n

Mr_Brit said:
It renders double the amount of polygons as well.

PSGames said:
Ah I see. So in 2D it's only rendering 400x240? Is it possible to render 800x240 in 2D?
I don't think the screen is wired in a way that permits that.

Jethro said:
Coins to make you faster? I hope not, it's annoying.

I....just what the hell? Are you out of your tree? Coins are one of the few things I believe actually make Mario Kart a better designed game when they are included. The game has become so dependent on luck that skill takes a child back-seat and is told to shut up for the ride.

If I had my way, Mario Kart would have an entire balance overhaul to make it more competitive. No more track-following shells, no more blue shells, coins are IN, and drastically speed up green shell to make it a viable attack once again.

BowieZ

Banned
JasoNsider said:
If I had my way, Mario Kart would have an entire balance overhaul to make it more competitive. No more track-following shells, no more blue shells, coins are IN, and drastically speed up green shell to make it a viable attack once again.
Speed up the green shell?

Green shells are pretty powerful when you know how to use them well. Especially since they are semi-homing.

BowieZ said:
Speed up the green shell?

Green shells are pretty powerful when you know how to use them well. Especially since they are semi-homing.

When were they semi homing? And when were they fast? Seriously, green shell is far too slow. It's only good on narrow areas like the bridge and even then people can just drop a banana (of which they have tons of heads up time since they travel so slow :p) and they are good to go.

I played around 20 minutes of Blur and they have a green shell-like and it was ULTRA fast. I saw it and had to do a face palm that some Mario Kart-like game got the concept before Nintendo did.

Point is, the game is not that great for competition. It's great for parties though.

Plinko

JasoNsider said:
When were they semi homing? And when were they fast? Seriously, green shell is far too slow. It's only good on narrow areas like the bridge and even then people can just drop a banana (of which they have tons of heads up time since they travel so slow :p) and they are good to go.

I played around 20 minutes of Blur and they have a green shell-like and it was ULTRA fast. I saw it and had to do a face palm that some Mario Kart-like game got the concept before Nintendo did.

Point is, the game is not that great for competition. It's great for parties though.

I've never had an issue using green shells. If you've got the skill to line them up, they're great. I've never once thought "these aren't fast." When you get a green shell, it shouldn't mean an instant hit on a driver because of super-fast speed.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The Mario Kart team (EAD Group No.1) has been really consistent since Mario Kart DS. This game looks to uphold that standard. I am very excited to get these wireless MK parties going!

You're telling me you never once fired a green shell, watched it drift forwards towards its target, while the target casually drives around the next turn like it ain't no thang? I have serious trouble believing this to be honest. They are only really useful at close-range and at people passing by you since you can catch them off guard bumper-to-bumper.

Edit: And yeah, Mario Kart DS was easily the best since Super Mario Kart! I really hope this one brings back some of that competitive touch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shikamaru Ninja said:
The Mario Kart team (EAD Group No.1) has been really consistent since Mario Kart DS. This game looks to uphold that standard. I am very excited to get these wireless MK parties going!

Isn't this being developed by Retro? Or is it co-developed?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh really, wow. I was under the impression this was all from them. Interesting, and pleasantly surprised.

BowieZ

Banned
JasoNsider said:
You're telling me you never once fired a green shell, watched it drift forwards towards its target, while the target casually drives around the next turn like it ain't no thang? I have serious trouble believing this to be honest. They are only really useful at close-range and at people passing by you since you can catch them off guard bumper-to-bumper.

Edit: And yeah, Mario Kart DS was easily the best since Super Mario Kart! I really hope this one brings back some of that competitive touch.
Dude. Fire green shells at an angle against walls. It's semi-homing because when they bounce off a wall, they aim themselves directly at the nearest racer.

If someone is going around a corner or whathaveyou, either save the green shells for later on, or aim them at an angle into the corner area so that it follows them down the subsequent straightaway.

Top Bottom