• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XIII-2 Info from Interview with Isamu Kamikokuryo

Pooya

new artwork and screen
d9sdjapj.jpg

bz9mp2f7.jpg

033nvb.jpg

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/22/ffxiii_2_kamikokuryo_interview/

anoop Gantayat said:
Art director Isamu Kamikokuryo shares new insights into the sequel.

Noel and Serah in this FFXIII-2 screenshot that was distributed at E3. It looks like Noel won't be the only new major addition to the cast.

Noel joins the Final Fantasy XIII cast as the main character of Final Fantasy XIII-2. But he won't be the only major new character in the game.

In an interview in this week's Famitsu (summed up at Sokuho), art director Isamu Kamikokuryo reveals that there will be other new "main characters" besides Noel.

It's unclear what Kamikokuryo means by "main" characters, as the game's producer and director have said that the story will center on Noel and Serah, the two characters who were playable in the E3 demo. At the very least, it looks like we can expect some additional major additions to the cast.

• Characters from the original FFXIII will be returning as well, of course. Kamikokuryo said that players will be able to see slightly grown up versions of the past characters, and how they're now living.
  • Kamikokuryo's discussion also shed a few additional details on who's working on FFXIII-2, along with some additional hints about the game:
  • The staff remains mostly the same from the original.
  • Tetsuya Nomura handled designs for the characters' faces while the bodies and clothing were handled by other FF series art directors.
  • The character shown standing back-to-back with Lightning in the game's original January trailer was designed by Yusuke Naora.
  • The enemies that appear in the Neo Bodham area are a new category of enemy that are neither from Cocoon nor Pulse. They're designed by lead art designer Toshitaka Matsuda.
  • There is a common pattern that appears on Lightning's shield and Serah's clothing. When playing the game, you'll find out why the pattern is the same.
  • A number of people submitted Moogle designs, but in the end they went with Matsuda's design. Matsuda also designed Lightning's sword, NPCs, new monsters, backgrounds, and the summons which appear in a different form from the original.
  • Similar to the original, Lightning's sword can transform between gun and sword.
  • The game's maps weren't finalized from the start this time. Instead, they're letting the staff fill the maps with ideas for things like short-cuts and so-forth. They're letting the staff be free to do trial and error in this area.
  • Because of the tight production schedule, they didn't have much time for pre production. They didn't even have enough time to do much in the way of setting drawings. In some cases, they used photographs and other resources to explain things. Looking at the bright side, Kamikokuryo said that this actually made it easier to get the point across, and allowed them to change their approach to direction.

Even though it was playable at E3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 still has lots of mysteries. With a December Japanese release planned, we can hopefully expect frequent updated.

Lain

So Lightning isn't the main character for the sequel, just a returning character while Noel, Serah and other new people are the mains? I mustn't have followed the various info about this game closely enough. My enthusiasm for this sequel is dampened a bit =(

Pooya

Lain said:
So Lightning isn't the main character for the sequel, just a returning character while Noel, Serah and other new people are the mains? I mustn't have followed the various info about this game closely enough. My enthusiasm for this sequel is dampened a bit =(

yep, what they've said is that you play as her in some parts like the intro which was shown at e3 but for the most part story progresses with Noel and Serah and their pokemons, and now possibly others as well.

I was thinking the other day about this; most of the story doesn't mean most of the game too if it has the same structure as XIII, most of the story in XIII was in chapters 1-8, in most of which you play with only 2 characters at the time, the rest of the game had less story but far more gameplay hours, could be something like that I think. maybe we're stuck with 2 characters and monsters instead this time until we get to the good parts :p

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
The Praiseworthy said:
Can't wait to see 19 years old Hope :p

I bet they made him slightly taller than Snow, and that he'll point that out when the two eventully meet.
That would be so cliché. Don't disappoint me, S-E.

Anteater

Sword Familiar said:
I bet they made him slightly taller than Snow, and that he'll point that out when the two eventully meet.
That would be so cliché. Don't disappoint me, S-E.

And Snow will probably be calling himself an old man

Pooya

Castor Krieg said:
Typical for S-E, that doesn't make a fucking sense.
so far it's only Lightning's face I think xD and that's just copy/paste from the first game (her in game model) they need to get his name somewhere on it I imagine. the rest are probably the old returning characters.

Anteater said:
Haven't been keeping up with the news, is Snow in the game? Haven't seen a screenshot of him.

/punches fist

yes he is in, we haven't seen him.

Rpgmonkey

I don't care that they're not using Nomura as I'm getting tired of his designs being used for 95% of FF games anyway, but what they did is kinda funny.

I'd guess the explanation for doing this is to help with maintaining more consistency with the characters' facial/hair designs as it may look goofy in cutscenes, but yeah...

Edit: Wait, nvm.

Does anyone know if Versus 13 is going to be at TGS?

I recently watched the 6 minute trailer from January and that game looks damn good :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
perfectnight said:
Does anyone know if Versus 13 is going to be at TGS?

I recently watched the 6 minute trailer from January and that game looks damn good :D

All signs currently point to... no.

Kagari said:
All signs currently point to... no.

Jesus.. I hope the game at least has a ton of content. And sorry for the OT posts.. didn't see any recent Versus threads so I took the opportunity to ask here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Despera said:
You're joking, right?
Nope.

Nomura's comments all seem to hint at a December 2012 Japanese/March 2013 Western release.

There's no need to keep advertising the game this early.

Most people probably don't even know Versus exists or really realize it's taken forever. Ounce they start the ad campaign it probably won't even matter.

daffy

Banned
Nirolak said:
Nope.

Nomura's comments all seem to hint at a December 2012 Japanese/March 2013 Western release.

What in the

Good HEAVENS, so no Kingdom Hearts 3 this gen. That actually is pretty downing for me. I don't know why I didn't stop to think Versus was so far away until right now. I don't even want it, I just wanted KH3. Damn it better be the best game ever.

:(

No preproduction? Hm, hope that goes well.

I wonder if Hope will turn out like the fanarts of him slightly older, I can only Hope. Though I still wish he were playable again, his weapon was cool.

I think people comparing Versus XIII or HL2: Episode 3 to Duke Nukem Forever don't really understand just how fucking long it took DNF to come out.

hamchan

Nirolak said:
Nope.

Wow. They can even put it on the Wii U.

Nirolak said:
Nope.

It's funny, I always imagined Versus would be my "excuse" to finally buy a PS3. I wasn't expecting it to take this long.

But anyway, I'm becoming more and more hyped for FFXIII-2. My only reservation, albeit a small one, was the fact that there would be only two playable human characters. If what he says about other new main characters is true, then that's one less thing for me to worry about.

From the sound of it so far, at least, it DOES kinda sound like we'll be limited to two human characters in battle (plus one monster). Maybe that'll change or they haven't been very clear about it.

I was happy to hear that they let the staff play a little bit with the maps. That was my major beef with FF XIII - the maps were just plain booooring, even when they opened up.

.la1n

Eh I didn't find XIII to be nearly as bad as I was lead to believe (although I did get it for less than $15.00.) I could get on board for this. Let versus take it's sweet time, I'm sure we'll get a better game for it and hopefully one that doesn't split the fanbase as much as XIII did.

Rpgmonkey

Sohter.Nura said:
I was happy to hear that they let the staff play a little bit with the maps. That was my major beef with FF XIII - the maps were just plain booooring, even when they opened up.

Yeah it's nice to see that they're letting more of the development team's creativity (or lack thereof) show in the final product, instead of strictly following what was probably the vision of just 1-3 guys.

badcrumble said:
From the sound of it so far, at least, it DOES kinda sound like we'll be limited to two human characters in battle (plus one monster). Maybe that'll change or they haven't been very clear about it.
Yeah, after taking another look it does seem pretty vague. He didn't say new "party" members, just main characters (probably in the sense that Serah and Dajh were main characters in XIII, but not playable). Hopefully some of these newbies will be some decent villians.

Sohter.Nura said:
Forgot to comment on this as well. I'm glad they're being loose with design and focusing more on iteration during development.

Because of this tight production schedule, will we see English lip syncing like in XIII? I noticed the trailer from E3 was using the Japanese mouth movements.

Nirolak said:
Nope.

So 2 FFXIII games to come out before Versus? Wow! Still will buy it day 1 :3

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dirtbag said:
They really calling this game 13 - 2?

Er... What else would they call it? Final Fantasy XV?

7Th

The design system kinda reminds me of Overman King Gainer's; in OKG, Kiyoshirou Inoue designed the faces and bodies, Kinu Nishimura designed the clothes and Kenichi Yoshida corrected the finalized designs for animation.

Top Bottom