• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

p3tran

Banned
Hello guys.. Just waisting time playing ipad games until October 3.
Gold renewed. Kinect installed. I'm ready.
See you online.

Ps. Special props to my friend the Jubenator :)

sneaky77

paskowitz said:
I hope this was a rhetorical question...

Well I didn't really see a lot of people bringing it up lol. Hopefully we can also get a good number of tags from here for rivals mode and the club thing

eso76

GTP_Daverytimes said:
That is abysmal, the track looks twice as long and twice as wide. The first corner was freaking long, they should really start modelling tracks better.

You're probably used to seeing the track through 24mm lens and certainly not onboard with such a slow and tiny car. It's pretty accurate when you take cars as reference; a lot of you guys complaining about tracks being too wide are just deceived by the lower camera placement and fov which makes things look bigger in the game.

Ty4on

skybaby said:
So, I'll never get to drive these cars in game? No other way? WTF is VIP? I'm lost, sorry :lol
Membership you get with the LCE, in FM3 it gave you a crown and cars you sold in the auction house were placed on top if I remember correctly.

Edit: Forgot to refresh...

Mascot

skyfinch said:
Haven't heard anything, but that would be a nice change. Haven't seen 60fps replays this generation since PGR1.

Wasn't PGR1 actually 'last gen'? Original Xbox?
Man, I still remember my bemusement when BC made PGR2 30fps when PGR was 60fps.

Good point though, skyfinch: do any current-gen console racers have 60fps replays? I can't think of any.

Iknos

shinnn said:
DAT REVERSE ENGINEERED SUN

mirror_reflex1u6v.gif

Notice how in the different times of day the tree and bg shadows are the same as in the other time of day?

Gor@n said:

Yeah you can see it there.

eso76 said:
You're probably used to seeing the track through 24mm lens and certainly not onboard with such a slow and tiny car. It's pretty accurate when you take cars as reference; a lot of you guys complaining about tracks being too wide are just deceived by the lower camera placement and fov which makes things look bigger in the game.

You would think that this would be obvious to people.

But this is GAF dude you get all sorts here.

That said I dislike the super wide FOV and am hoping it can be changed again.

Xun

Managed to play the game today and I must say I was impressed! It's a huge improvement over the last iteration.

Graphically it looks superb, although I still don't fully agree with how Turn 10 light the tracks.

There's still too much white in my opinion.

Having said that I won't let that stop me from getting this bad boy!

Mascot

Iknos said:
Notice how in the different times of day the tree and bg shadows are the same as in the other time of day?

Yeah, it's obvious in the side-by-side Hockenheim video. Slightly disappointing, but I guess completely reworking the environments was too much work.
I wonder if this means new lighting can more easily be patched into existing tracks? Seems all that's needed is a new sky box and different light source/shadows from the cars, with nothing needing doing to the tracks themselves?

Seanspeed

Banned
Xanadu said:
to answer your first question, it doesnt happen in forza 2 public lobbies
I like Forza 2's multiplayer much better, too(about 200 hours put into it), but there was no difference in the amount of first corner incidents.

Mascot said:
Yeah, it's obvious in the side-by-side Hockenheim video. Slightly disappointing, but I guess completely reworking the environments was too much work.
I wonder if this means new lighting can more easily be patched into existing tracks? Seems all that's needed is a new sky box and different light source/shadows from the cars, with nothing needing doing to the tracks themselves?

With IBL, cars and tracks should share the same lighting. It just seems that Turn 10 didn't bother re-baking environment shadows for different times of day. Maybe it's a storage issue, in which case it's fine since it's not that apparent unless you really look for it.

Mascot

benzy said:
The spark particles when the cars collide look a little weird. I wasn't quite sure what it was at first.

Is it the same as in FM3, where drivers appear to be throwing handfuls of straw at each other through their windows? That looked very silly.

I wish Turn 10 would remove it completely. I've seen decades of motorsport on TV and at race meetings but can't ever remember seeing sparks flying everywhere when cars rub - especially when it involves fibreglass body panels. Sparks in racing videogames are crazy sometimes. I've seen less pyrotechnics from somebody cutting steel bar with an angle grinder.

benzy

Mascot said:
Is it the same as in FM3, where drivers appear to be throwing handfuls of straw at each other through their windows? That looked very silly.

It looks less like straws in F4 and more like those celebration party poppers, but not as abundant lol. You can see it in Gamersyde's fuji video, at around 2:43 and 2:50 and at various other times where there's collision.

eso76

Iknos said:

noticed that too. Actually noticed that in hockenheim making of video, then, in infineon video, shadows seemed to change and i thought they fixed it, but in the latest videos you clearly see they weren't re-baked.
Yeah, storage limitations for sure, Hopefully next gen will give us real time shadows that aren't too low res.

You would think that this would be obvious to people.

But this is GAF dude you get all sorts here.

That said I dislike the super wide FOV and am hoping it can be changed again.

If all else fails (read: if they haven't made it adjustable) i am sure multiscreen trick still works.
3 screen setups show a much narrower fov in cockpit.

Xanadu

Banned
so thats the quality of the 720p shots?

thank you t10 at last lol

btw is the 599 shows valves in exhaust so auto vista LOD can be used on tracks? cool

The_Monk

Quick one guys:

1- Can we still tweak the difficulty in this one like Forza 3?
2- Is there a limited time to rewind the race? Will it depends on the difficulty settings?

I can't wait to play this, I dream about a door ringing and I opening the door the accept my package :D

Will GAFfers make a race club and anyone thinking on a way to add others GAFFers, like a list on the OT or some Gamer tag people could add and then, add their friends?

PS: Those reflections! Those rims ;_;

Top Bottom