• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yosemite hikers ignore warning sign, bypass railing to goof off, fall down waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yosemite: 3 presumed dead, swept over Vernal Fall:

Yosemite National Park -- One slip in knee-high water, a desperate grab for help and, in one frightful moment, three Central Valley residents were swept screaming over a thunderous 317-foot waterfall to their apparent deaths as dozens of tourists in Yosemite National Park watched in horror.

Ramina Badal, 21, a nursing student at the University of San Francisco, and Ninos Yacoub, 27, of Turlock (Stanislaus County) clung to each other as they were carried over Vernal Fall on Tuesday, witnesses said. Hormiz David, 22, of Modesto followed them over the edge after reaching for them and slipping himself.

Just 25 feet upstream from the drop, the victims had climbed over a metal guardrail, ignoring warning signs and apparently pleas from other hikers to get out of the water. Their bodies have not been found in the foaming, boulder-strewn torrent that is the Merced River. They are presumed dead.

"It's 317 feet down. Nobody can survive a fall like that," said Scott Gediman, a spokesman for Yosemite National Park.

6 dead this year

The tragedy brings to six the number of people killed this year in the rivers and waterfalls of Yosemite, which saw double the average amount of snow last season. The ice sheet blanketing the high country is still melting, turning the rivers and streams into raging whitewater.

Witnesses could not explain why the victims waded into the water above the fall, but they apparently were not the only daredevils in their group.

The tragedy occurred at about 1:30 p.m. on a brilliant sunny day. A group of 12 friends and family had climbed the famed Mist Trail, the park's most popular hike, to the top of Vernal Fall, Gediman said.

As many as 175 other people were resting at the Vernal Fall overlook when the group stopped to have lunch. Witness accounts vary slightly, but apparently another member of the group was the first to climb over the metal rail at the top of the waterfall. Signs depicting stick figures plunging over the fall warn people not to go beyond that point.

Stepping into the river

"He's got a 6- or 7-year-old daughter in his left arm on the edge of the waterfall while his other daughter, about 14 years old, is taking his picture," said Jake Bibee, 28, of Costa Mesa (Orange County), who was hiking with a friend on the Mist Trail that day. "He's on the corner, hanging over the falls. This little girl is screaming bloody murder, and he's laughing, thinking it's a big old joke."

The spectacle infuriated Bibee and several other hikers, some of whom yelled at the man and urged him to climb back over the railing. Meanwhile, apparently inspired by their friend, Badal, Yacoub and David climbed over or went around the railing and waded into the water 25 feet upstream from the fall, trying to reach a rock outcropping partially covered in vegetation about 15 feet from shore.

Gediman said the three waded up to their knees in the rushing waters, were taking photographs and goofing around. He said several witnesses also urged them to get out of the water.

"They basically ignored their warnings," Gediman said. "They did not comply with people telling them it was dangerous."

Bibee said Badal, who is from Manteca (San Joaquin County), was the first to slip and fall.

"This guy is walking back to the group with his two kids still on the wrong side of the railing and we're all staring at him and, right then, the girl fell in," Bibee said. Her friend, later identified as Yacoub, grabbed her hand, Bibee said, and then he slipped and fell.

"He was reaching back trying to grab something. Everyone was screaming. You want to help, but you can't," Bibee said. "I looked at his face and I saw his eyes wide open, absolutely fearful that he was going to die in five seconds. When we saw them go over the waterfall, they were holding each other."

Bibee didn't see David go over the edge because he had turned away in horror.

"Right as they went off the edge I grabbed the girl I was with, covered her eyes and called 911," he said.

Fall, trail notorious

Vernal Fall and the Mist Trail have become notorious over the years for tragedy. Some 2,000 people a day climb the treacherous rock steps on the trail, which is perpetually wet with mist from the enormous waterfall. Yosemite Search and Rescue team members say dozens of people have been injured or killed after falling into the river or plunging over the fall while wading in the pool of water above.

As skies darkened and the search and rescue effort wrapped up Tuesday, the water below Vernal Fall was a frothing white cascade, dangerous and deadly.

On May 13, Kent Butler, 60, a professor from Austin, Texas, slipped at the bottom of the granite steps below Vernal Fall, landed on a rock and slid into the roiling Merced River, where he drowned. In 2007, Kiran Yellajyosula, 27, of Santa Clara plunged to his death off Vernal Fall when he leaned over to wash his hands in the river and lost his balance.

Yosemite area waterfalls in general are dangerous, especially when the water is high, like it is now. On June 29, Dr. Gregory Wayne Meyer, 53, of Whittier (Los Angeles County) and physician's assistant Richard Fox, 53, of Hacienda Heights were swept to their deaths from the Wapama Falls bridge near Hetch Hetchy Reservoir.

Despite the obvious danger, about 45 people have gone over waterfalls in Yosemite to their deaths since the park was established in 1864; 82 percent of the victims have been male and 68 percent between the ages of 11 and 29, according to the book "Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite," by Michael Ghiglieri and Charles Farabee. Almost all of the park's waterfall accidents were the result of carelessness, often while snapping a photo, they write.

Yosemite Search and Rescue teams will continue to search for the three bodies over the next few days, but Gediman said the bodies are more than likely pinned underneath boulders and debris and might not be recovered until the fall, after the snow has melted.

Bibee said the many witnesses will have to live with memories of the tragedy for the rest of their lives.

"The fear of death in a man's face as he is about to die is not something I've ever seen before and I don't want to see again," said Bibee, who is still furious at the man who first climbed over the rail and endangered his child. "Not just that family was damaged, but all of us who had to watch those people die are damaged."

mn-yosemite21_ph_0503810031.jpg

mn-yosemite21_ph_0503810046.jpg

sp-outdoors07_ve_0421310140.jpg

sp-outdoors15_PH_0501484770.jpg

mn-yosemite21_ph_0503810036.jpg

ba-Yosemite_Wate_0503804166.jpg

DarkKyo

Holy shit at those pictures. The dumbass who went out there deserved his fate but I feel horrible for the little girl :(

Zaptruder

Banned
So, what they need to do now is print brochures with this news story and then pass them out to people going to the waterfalls. Stick it to sign posts. That kinda thing.

"He's got a 6- or 7-year-old daughter in his left arm on the edge of the waterfall while his other daughter, about 14 years old, is taking his picture," said Jake Bibee, 28, of Costa Mesa (Orange County), who was hiking with a friend on the Mist Trail that day. "He's on the corner, hanging over the falls. This little girl is screaming bloody murder, and he's laughing, thinking it's a big old joke."

This guy needs to be locked up for the rest of his life.

Kurtofan

Tourists never listen. Here in Corsica, Danish hikers went hiking on the GR20 trail with no equipment (they wore sandals) while a storm was announced.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Been on the mist trail before. Once you get up there it is fucking scary. How that guy even thought of swimming in there, damn.

ffs

Big-E

People do this all the time in Vancouver. Always go out of bounds, always do what they are not suppose to do then they get lost and get hurt and the taxpayer has to pay for their rescue. A lot of people want people who deliberately break rules to have to pay for their rescue because it isn't cheap and I agree.

negitoro7

Reading comprehension fails me, but what happened to the little girl whose dad fell as he was holding her? The article doesn't say if she plunged over the edge too or if someone reached out and saved her (that I can see).

Edit: So the original douche made it safely back while his daughters were still on the wrong side of the fence, one of the girls "slipped and fell in" and was caught by Yacoub, who slipped himself and fell to his death. So Yacoub is a hero then, for saving her and sacrificing himself? Or am I still reading it wrong?

It still doesn't explain the sequences leading up to Badal and David falling in, the article is focused on the douchebag dad and his daughters.

Wow, I don't pity the people who perished but the part about the look in his eyes and how they clung together gave me chills. Must have been awful to be there.

Kurtofan said:
Tourists never listen. Here in Corsica, Danish hikers went hiking on the GR20 trail with no equipment (they wore sandals) while a storm was announced.

Webcam catches tourists walking on Old Faithful

"Thirty people were clustered about the cone of an active geyser. Certainly if it would have erupted while they were in that area, we would have found ourselves responding to an incident with many people seriously hurt."

negitoro7 said:
Reading comprehension fails me, but what happened to the little girl whose dad fell as he was holding her? The article doesn't say if she plunged over the edge too or if someone reached out and saved her (that I can see).
He didn't fall, three other morons followed his lead and they are the ones who died.

krzy123

negitoro7 said:

The Dad never fell (he was just idiotically goofing off), he was friends w/ the group of 3 (who waded out after they saw him doing it). The three who went over were all in their 20s.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
negitoro7 said:
1) Dad and two daughters go over railing but not in the water
2) Two male and one female friend of said man decide to go into the water
3) Man is walking back as his daughters are still on the wrong side of the railing
4) In that moment the woman in the group of three who are in the river slips

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This reminded me that there was something similar that happened in Indore, India recently. Family crossing what I assume was a river basin, then got stuck as a flash flood swept them over a cliff (now a waterfall).

Bewarned, there is a Youtube Video of this.

hiro4

Seriously some people.
I would bet that he would've screamed bloody murder if the police would have arrested him on the spot.

There are now words for this stupidity.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I feel sorry for the next of kin and the witnesses, but everyone who stepped over that railing is a fucking idiot.

SmokyDave

Lonestar said:
This reminded me that there was something similar that happened in Indore, India recently. Family crossing what I assume was a river basin, then got stuck as a flash flood swept them over a cliff (now a waterfall).

Fucking hell. It's easy for me to say, sat here in an office, but I feel like they could've been saved. A human chain or something. They were stood there for ages before the inevitable happened. Sad stuff.

Lonestar said:

Jesus Christ.

Ark

Lonestar said:

That was unpleasant to watch.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dice said:
1) Dad and two daughters go over railing but not in the water
2) Two male and one female friend of said man decide to go into the water
3) Man is walking back as his daughters are still on the wrong side of the railing
4) In that moment the woman in the group of three who are in the river slips
5) Male tries to grab female and something to hold on to, ends up slipping and falling in as well
6) Other male also falls in, perhaps trying to grab the other guy

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dechaios said:
Holy shit at those pictures. The dumbass who went out there deserved his fate but I feel horrible for the little girl :(
dumbass and the little girl are alive, he provoked the incident of going over the rails but was not one of the people who died.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I think the Park Service should start posting the photographs of everyone who has died at these falls up at the pool. They should post a copy of this article too, in English and Spanish. Maybe looking at the faces of people who died horsing around will be a deterrent to future visitors.

Lonestar said:

holy shit. I don't feel bad for them; they had plenty of time to get out before the water got really bad, but an attempt should have probably been made to help them. But that woman/man in the blue screwed the whole family: she fell, and she held on to everyone else, bringing them down with her/him.

@OP, I don't feel bad for these people. They disregarded obvious signs/warnings, and paid the ultimate price.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Lonestar said:

What the hell happened there? Did someone just open up some floodgates further up stream?

gwarm01

Jesus christ. I was wondering how they managed to get pulled down until I saw the picture of that waterfall. These people were out of their minds. Have we forgotten that this is a dangerous world and people can still die?

ana

They should post all these incidents on a board near the dangerous places when idiots have gotten themselves killed.. perhaps some will then think twice before acting stupid..

@noone could survive the fall, wouldn't the waterfall's water hitting the water break up the surface tension, so that it wouldn't be like a normal high fall into water (aka like hitting concrete).

Sure they'd drown after , but they could survive , no? And then it wouldn't be the fall that killed them.

Anyhow, this is all kinds of stupid.
As was said, darwin award, I feel sorry for the people who had to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom