• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

73-yo BASE jumper dies after setting chute on fire & 2nd chute fails to open in time

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/73-year-old-BASE-jumper-dies-after-setting-6274980.php

TWIN FALLS, Idaho (AP) — A 73-year-old BASE jumper who died after leaping from an Idaho bridge had set his parachute on fire as part of a stunt, authorities say.

A graphic video of the fatal jump, posted to YouTube on Monday, shows someone engulfed in flames and falling from the Perrine Bridge into the Snake River, 500 feet below.

James E. Hickey, of Claremont, California, had apparently planned to ditch the flaming parachute and deploy a second chute in the May 7 stunt.

The initial report from the Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office said only that Hickey's parachute deployed too late, and the coroner said Hickey died of blunt-force trauma.

Professional BASE jumper Sean Chuma told Twin Falls newspaper The Times-News (http://bit.ly/1S9aQPb ) that he had heard Hickey successfully performed the stunt while skydiving.

The video shows two BASE jumpers climbing over the railing of the Perrine Bridge and leaping around the same time. While one jumper glides safely away underneath a parachute, the other becomes engulfed in flames and falls quickly out of view.

The video pans back to the river just after the burning jumper hits the water. A boat arrives seconds later, and the video ends.

BASE jumping has come under increased scrutiny as at least five people have died in accidents since January, including two last week at Yosemite National Park.

The bridge it occurred on:

f8EVUga.jpg

Talon

If ever there was a sign that there isn't enough struggle in a man's life, it's the point at which the man literally tries to fake kill himself for entertainment.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I hate heights so that picture makes me sort of nervous just thinking about driving over that thing much less the thought of someone jumping off of it.

And then the thought of the guy messing with his parachute for "a good time" is just....wow.

I feel like he said "Lookee here" before he jumped

Probably more like "Hold my beer, watch this"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I hate heights so that picture makes me sort of nervous just thinking about driving over that thing much less the thought of someone jumping off of it.

The article has photos of previous BASE jumpers using that bridge:

ZyJRcFM.jpg

sangreal

video is weird; dude is on fire before he even leaves the bridge :-/

very confused by how this 'stunt' was supposed to work

Alienous

If you're escalating to setting your own parachute on fire death should be expected.

It was an early death, or old age.

whether you make it or not and regardless of the even the best safety precautions i always found these kinds of activities foolish

Africanus

How much time would he have had to set himself on fire, wait for the parachute to burn through, deploy the second parachute, have the second one unfurl, and slow down his speed while jumping off this bridge?

zma1013

How much time would he have had to set himself on fire, wait for the parachute to burn through, deploy the second parachute, have the second one unfurl, and slow down his speed while jumping off this bridge?

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what the plan was there. Bridge jumpers barely have enough time to just open their chute as it is, let alone adding fire and a second chute to the mix.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Professional BASE jumper Sean Chuma told Twin Falls newspaper The Times-News (http://bit.ly/1S9aQPb ) that he had heard Hickey successfully performed the stunt while skydiving.

JamieHyneman"Well,theresyourproblem".wav

Skydiving != BASE jump. For obvious reasons: Height of Dive != Height of BASE.

commedieu

Banned

not nearly as much as gravity allowed... it seems.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That bridge seems waaay to short for a stunt like that. I mean, he had successfully preformed it during a skydive, which is a completely different situation, with more time to let the chute burn out.

Clicked on the thread and saw the pic... then realized that the bridge is not 5 minutes away from where I live.

If you took a pic from the other side you would see a shopping mall immediately on the other side of the cliff.

Anyways. Base jumping is stupid.

Take incredibly risky activity, and fire to it. BASE jumping is no joke. Still he went out doing what he liked to do, probably beats dying slowly of some disease.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom