• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yosemite hikers ignore warning sign, bypass railing to goof off, fall down waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ahoyhoy said:
What the hell happened there? Did someone just open up some floodgates further up stream?
probably just rain further upstream.

just need a wide area to get alot of rain with downhill being progressively thinner and steeper

luxarific said:
I think the Park Service should start posting the photographs of everyone who has died at these falls up at the pool. They should post a copy of this article too, in English and Spanish. Maybe looking at the faces of people who died horsing around will be a deterrent to future visitors.

There are some people who often believe they know better, regardless of what rules and stories there are to educate them.

edit: It makes me wonder and jokingly I add this, maybe we should post a sign that says. " Sure its safe, Go Right Ahead!"

The one thing they tell you when you go white water rafting is to never try and stand up in the river. The water rushes by so fast that all the rocks along the bottom are polished smooth, so it's impossible to get a handhold if you get knocked off your feet and the current is too strong to swim against. Your best bet is to point your feet downriver and hope you make it to a calm area of water. Of course, we were also forced to wear helmets and life vests, and the largest waterfall we went over was barely 6 feet. You couldn't pay me to frolic in a river above a 300 foot drop.

SneakyStephan said:
@noone could survive the fall, wouldn't the waterfall's water hitting the water break up the surface tension, so that it wouldn't be like a normal high fall into water (aka like hitting concrete).

Sure they'd drown after , but they could survive , no? And then it wouldn't be the fall that killed them.

Anyhow, this is all kinds of stupid.
As was said, darwin award, I feel sorry for the people who had to watch it.

Even if this were true, your momentum would take you straight to the bottom and you'd be pulverized on the rocks at the bottom of the falls.

negitoro7 said:
Reading comprehension fails me, but what happened to the little girl whose dad fell as he was holding her? The article doesn't say if she plunged over the edge too or if someone reached out and saved her (that I can see).

Edit: So the original douche made it safely back while his daughters were still on the wrong side of the fence, one of the girls "slipped and fell in" and was caught by Yacoub, who slipped himself and fell to his death. So Yacoub is a hero then, for saving her and sacrificing himself? Or am I still reading it wrong?

It still doesn't explain the sequences leading up to Badal and David falling in, the article is focused on the douchebag dad and his daughters.
That's because the douchebag dad is what prompted the three that died to go into the water.

e: err, your reply was the newest reply I saw on the thread when I was reading. Apparently I was reading for a while.

Bystanders should've beaten the shit out of the dad in front of his children. Teach him a good lesson and also teach his daughter that they're father is a complete and utter moron who deserves none of their respect.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SneakyStephan said:
@noone could survive the fall, wouldn't the waterfall's water hitting the water break up the surface tension, so that it wouldn't be like a normal high fall into water (aka like hitting concrete).

Sure they'd drown after , but they could survive , no? And then it wouldn't be the fall that killed them.
I'm sure all the rocks at the bottom would be what kills them. It's not just a big pool of water at the bottom of this one.

VelvetMouth said:
Bystanders should've beaten the shit out of the dad in front of his children. Teach him a good lesson and also teach his daughter that they're father is a complete and utter moron who deserves none of their respect.

I wonder what becomes of the dad?! Child services takes his children away?!

There could be no rocks under the falls but the currents created by the falls can suck you under and drown you even if you made it over the falls in one piece.

There was a story just yesterday about people drowning in Hawaii jumping over some small falls that are listed in guide books as must see hidden treasures. Rescue divers have reported no rocks under the falls or even strong currents. A local woman who's son drowned there believes there is some angry watergod lizard thing drowning people.

FerranMG

That article sucks to read. Very poorly written, I could barely understand what happened, who died and who didn't.

People really can't realize when they are in real danger.

ramyeon

Is GAF full of Internet sociopaths? Yes they were stupid, but no one deserves to die because of stupidity. Imagining the fear they were in at that moment makes me sick, the whole situation is horrible. People blaming them and saying they got what they deserve are sick.

I have a lot of sympathy for the witnesses and the family/friends who have lost somebody close to them, but I have absolutely zero sympathy for the actual victims. You shouldn't even need a fucking warning sign or railings to deter you from wading into water at the top of a waterfall. The fact that they disregarded both, as well as pleas from onlookers, means that they got what was coming to them.

I'm not saying that they deserved to die, but they certainly don't deserve sysmpathy when they brought their deatrhs on themselves.

Barrett2

Lonestar said:
This reminded me that there was something similar that happened in Indore, India recently. Family crossing what I assume was a river basin, then got stuck as a flash flood swept them over a cliff (now a waterfall).

Bewarned, there is a Youtube Video of this.
Very sad. It seems like there was maybe a four second window where at least two of them were paralyzed, didn't know what to do, but could have possibly survived if they just went for it.

Ydahs

A terrible read. I really feel the for families :(

SneakyStephan said:

Anyhow, this is all kinds of stupid.
As was said, darwin award, I feel sorry for the people who had to watch it.
Well, from that height they fell at and the speed they entered the water, I'm sure they would have made it to the bottom of the river. If there were boulders underneath all that water, they were probably knocked out cold on contact. If not, the many boulders further down the river would have done it.

A pain to think about really... I hope the bodies are recovered sooner rather than later for the families. Better to face the reality of their deaths than live in false hope.

Meadows

Banned
ramyeon said:
Is GAF full of Internet sociopaths? Yes they were stupid, but no one deserves to die because of stupidity. Imagining the fear they were in at that moment makes me sick, the whole situation is horrible. People blaming them and saying they got what they deserve are sick.

If stupid people die of stupidity then less people will be stupid due to a fewer number of stupid people being alive, and the stupid people learning to be less stupid.....stupid.

For example, will a stupid person do what those three just did ever again in the conceivable future? No.

Carcetti

"He's got a 6- or 7-year-old daughter in his left arm on the edge of the waterfall while his other daughter, about 14 years old, is taking his picture," said Jake Bibee, 28, of Costa Mesa (Orange County), who was hiking with a friend on the Mist Trail that day. "He's on the corner, hanging over the falls. This little girl is screaming bloody murder, and he's laughing, thinking it's a big old joke."

The rage I'm feeling reading this feels like a physical thing.

Not saying anyone "deserved" to die. But it just sucks when people put themselves in the worst possible situations. Nature doesn't give a fuck if you're trying to live life. Doesn't give a shit if you have parents, kids, friends that love you.

Nature is a merciless beast and it doesn't care about anyone. Those that don't respect nature for what it is tend to get killed by it.

So no, I'm not saying they deserved to die. I'm just saying I'm not surprised.....such a shame.

ramyeon said:
They traumatized 100+ people for the rest of their lives because they ignored those people's warnings. They deserved what they got.

VelvetMouth said:

As I understood it, the father/daughter combo were never in the water, only past the "Do not pass" signs. Were they ever in actual danger? Holding the daughter over the edge is definitely a dick move, don't get me wrong.

KJTB

I've been up there, you'd have to be a total moron to go into the water... plus it's cold as fuck. People seem to think that warning signs are only there to spoil the fun and not actually because not obeying them puts your fucking life in danger.

scy

ramyeon said:

Well, yeah.

Seriously though, my condolences to the families, to the bystanders, to the children of that one dick of a father, and so on. But I'm not exactly sitting here "oh no, how tragic ..." to the initial girl that caused it all, really. Sad to hear/read about, and perhaps there should be something better in place instead of a stick figure sign and some rope, but man, she did a stupid. Nothing about "deserving" it or anything like that but she did "cause" this.

I feel the worst about the two guys who went over trying to save her. The first girl, though? Not so much.

Meadows said:
For example, will a stupid person do what those three just did ever again in the conceivable future? No.
A stupid person will do stupid shit no matter what previous experience indicates. Hence why it's a stupid person.

I'm not "glad" that they died or anything, or don't think they deserved it either. But the truth is that the girl that slipped first basically killed the other guy. He reached out trying to save her and that's when he slipped. They all killed each other when they crossed that railing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
scy said:
I feel the worst about the two guys who went over trying to save her. The first girl, though? Not so much.
Those 2 guys had gone along with her across the barrier.

Montresor

Lonestar said:
This reminded me that there was something similar that happened in Indore, India recently. Family crossing what I assume was a river basin, then got stuck as a flash flood swept them over a cliff (now a waterfall).

This is so depressing it's making me sick to my stomach. That entire family was basically fucked by the first person who fell. He/she dragged all of them to their deaths. Ugh. =(

The sheer power of that flood is scary as hell. They had no chance whatsoever to outswim the torrent.

scy said:
Well, yeah.

Seriously though, my condolences to the families, to the bystanders, to the children of that one dick of a father, and so on. But I'm not exactly sitting here "oh no, how tragic ..." to the initial girl that caused it all, really. Sad to hear/read about, and perhaps there should be something better in place instead of a stick figure sign and some rope, but man, she did a stupid. Nothing about "deserving" it or anything like that but she did "cause" this.

All three went in the water together.

And LOL at needing a better warning sign so that people know to not fuck around on top of a 300 foot waterfall.

Price Dalton said:
As I understood it, the father/daughter combo were never in the water, only past the "Do not pass" signs. Were they ever in actual danger? Holding the daughter over the edge is definitely a dick move, don't get me wrong.

Which is reason enough to get the crap beaten out of you. Placing your child in a dangerous situation and then terrorizing the hell out of her while laughing, what kind of parent does that?

scy

XiaNaphryz said:
Those 2 guys had gone along with her across the barrier.

True. I still feel the worst about those two rather than the girl since they both died trying to save her. Yeah, they started being dumb too but I just feel their rescue attempt makes it all the more tragic for them.

bigtroyjon said:
And LOL at needing a better warning sign so that people know to not fuck around on top of a 300 foot waterfall.

Clearly the current one isn't good enough. Not that anything would probably work though :/ Barring a 6 foot high wall made out of sharks.

scy said:
Clearly the current one isn't good enough.
Maybe a huge-ass screen showing a video of people falling to their deaths and the pictures of the bodies when they find them. Although I'm pretty sure that would attract more reckless people.

scy said:
True. I still feel the worst about those two rather than the girl since they both died trying to save her. Yeah, they started being dumb too but I just feel their rescue attempt makes it all the more tragic for them.

Clearly the current one isn't good enough. Not that anything would probably work though :/ Barring a 6 foot high wall made out of sharks.

They had 100 people yelling at them to get the fuck out of there. There isn't any kind of warning sign that could have helped them.

I wouldn't really call it a rescue attempt either, she slipped, he grabbed her hand and immediately went down. Other dude probably just fell because he panicked.

Azuran

Banned
Lonestar said:

Who the hell decides to go for a casual stroll when you have a flood coming towards you?

Wait what, the dad held his kid over the egde of the waterall (or water, same thing really, he drops her she's dead)? (a few posts above?)
Is this true or is that poster making that up.

Why wasn't the mother clawing out the dad's eyes when the kid was safely back on the ground.

scy

bigtroyjon said:
They had 100 people yelling at them to get the fuck out of there. There isn't any kind of warning sign that could have helped them.

I wouldn't really call it a rescue attempt either, she slipped, he grabbed her hand and immediately went down. Other dude probably just fell because he panicked.

Meh, I guess I'm romanticizing the whole thing as a tragic rescue attempt rather than more herping and derping.

FunkyPajamas said:
Maybe a huge-ass screen showing a video of people falling to their deaths and the pictures of the bodies when they find them. Although I'm pretty sure that would attract more reckless people.

How about a death count w/ a sign that says "If you come out here...you WILL die...stay behind the barrier"?

Wthermans

Banned
Zaptruder said:
So, what they need to do now is print brochures with this news story and then pass them out to people going to the waterfalls. Stick it to sign posts. That kinda thing.
Waste of money and won't help stupidity.

As i quickly scrolled down the page, I thought I saw the silhouette of someone falling down the waterfall in one of the pictures. I quickly stopped and realized it was my mouse cursor.

SneakyStephan said:
Wait what, the dad held his kid over the egde of the waterall (or water, same thing really, he drops her she's dead)? (a few posts above?)
Is this true or is that poster making that up.

Why wasn't the mother clawing out the dad's eyes when the kid was safely back on the ground.
The passage from the article about the dad has been quoted in this thread numerous times.

Meadows said:
If stupid people die of stupidity then less people will be stupid due to a fewer number of stupid people being alive, and the stupid people learning to be less stupid.....stupid.

You must live a very boring life. I agree that what they did was pretty dumb, but I couldn't even tell you the things I've done for the thrill and fun for which I could have died a very horrible and ridiculous death. Shit just happens.

Mr_Zombie

Mammoth Jones said:
How about a death count w/ a sign that says "If you come out here...you WILL die...stay behind the barrier"?

Idiots will always find an excuse to risk their life :/

"Hey Jack, I bet that you won't be able to touch that stone over there."

Montresor said:
This is so depressing it's making me sick to my stomach. That entire family was basically fucked by the first person who fell. He/she dragged all of them to their deaths. Ugh. =(

The entire family was fucked up anyway. Even if that person in the blue shirt wouldn't dragged them, what are the chances that any of them would survive this? None. The current was to strong, the water too high.

Socreges

Banned
SpectreFire said:
You know what? Good.
No. No, not good.

Montresor said:
Notice that the flood just got stronger and stronger. They wouldn't have been able to withstand it for much longer. They were fucked the moment they decided to check out the view.

Azuran said:
Who the hell decides to go for a casual stroll when you have a flood coming towards you?
The flood came after they had already gone to the cliff.

Juancho9 said:
You must live a very boring life. I agree that what they did was pretty dumb, but I couldn't even tell you the things I've done for the thrill and fun for which I could have died a very horrible and ridiculous death. Shit just happens.
Translation: Only idiots who ultimately die young ever lead exciting lives.

I once fell through snow on a glacier and was dangling by one hand in a 20-metre (min) deep crevasse. My friend grabbed and then with another friend they lifted me to safety. We were fucking fools for ever putting ourselves in that situation. It wasn't "shit just happening". It was us making a terrible decision and me nearly dying as a result. Months later I went and ran with the bulls. Not the most boring activity, but certainly one where you're not in any true life-threatening danger.

bigtroyjon said:
The passage from the article about the dad has been quoted in this thread numerous times.
Yeah and I read it as him wading in the water holding his kid, not as holding out the kid in front of him over some edge/river to get his jollies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom