• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yosemite hikers ignore warning sign, bypass railing to goof off, fall down waterfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not so dangerous in late summer :p

8mb gif

IMG_2450.JPG

Jobiensis

SpectreFire said:
Good people don't purposely put their kids in danger for kicks admist protests from bytanders. Nor do they laugh off their screaming cries.

Just sayin'.

I know the article is pretty badly written, but the father that dangled his kid over the edge is not the same and had no direct involvement with the people that died. Whether his stupidity caused the other stupid people to be even more bold by going in the water is unclear.

But yeah, the father is an asshole. The kids that died did something that was astronomically stupid.

Phantast2k said:
It's not so dangerous in late summer :p
Not Vernal, but here is Nevada falls which is right above it last July when I was there. The water was rushing like crazy though, even part of our campground in the Valley was closed due to flooding. The whole meadow in the Valley was flooded as well.

bDKEm.jpg

zuVq0.jpg

Alucrid said:
They should put up a sign saying how many people have died there. That should do it...I hope.
That's not going to do anything. Idiots will do idiotic things.

Quite frankly, I'm fine with it. If some assholes want to take their lives into their own hands, fine, let them. But their families shouldn't start crying about it when the inevitable happens, especially if they didn't do anything to stop them.

Better yet, all the bystanders there should be allowed to sue the dad, for putting them through all that trauma.

Jobiensis said:
I know the article is pretty badly written, but the father that dangled his kid over the edge is not the same and had no direct involvement with the people that died. Whether his stupidity caused the other stupid people to be even more bold by going in the water is unclear.

But yeah, the father is an asshole. The kids that died did something that was astronomically stupid.
How is it unclear? They're all from the same family. Those idiots saw him do it, thought it was alright because he made a joke out of it, despite the outcry from the other visitors, and got themselves killed in the process. The man should be arrested on causing criminal negligence causing death and negligent endangerment of a child.

Darkshier said:
Not Vernal, but here is Nevada falls which is right above it last July when I was there. The water was rushing like crazy though, even part of our campground in the Valley was closed due to flooding. The whole meadow in the Valley was flooded as well.

http://i.imgur.com/bDKEm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zuVq0.jpg
Aaand that's what it looked like for me ;(

IMG_2467.JPG

SDC16773.JPG

Dude Abides said:
A 300ft fall would be an apt punishment for wearing those shorts.
lol, but hey they're comfortable & functional - does that count as an excuse?

Lonestar said:
This reminded me that there was something similar that happened in Indore, India recently. Family crossing what I assume was a river basin, then got stuck as a flash flood swept them over a cliff (now a waterfall).

Bewarned, there is a Youtube Video of this.

shit... why did I watch that? :(

GSR

Jesus, that was horrible enough just to read. The bit about the man seeing the look on the face of the guy about to die made me feel kind of ill.

There are guardrails and shit for a reason.

Eteric Rice

Is GAF full of Internet sociopaths? Yes they were stupid, but no one deserves to die because of stupidity. Imagining the fear they were in at that moment makes me sick, the whole situation is horrible. People blaming them and saying they got what they deserve are sick.

Eh, from a neutral standpoint, this is how nature works.

It's sad, but they were warned multiple times, and there were signs. I feel bad for their parents, but these guys had a death wish.

Jobiensis

SpectreFire said:
How is it unclear? They're all from the same family. Those idiots saw him do it, thought it was alright because he made a joke out of it, despite the outcry from the other visitors, and got themselves killed in the process. The man should be arrested on causing criminal negligence causing death and negligent endangerment of a child.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, being that you confused a post about one of the people that died with the father holding his kid over the edge.

There is no evidence of malice from the three that died. I agree the father endangering the child is a dick move, but the article never states that he is related to any of the people that died, just that he was from the same group of family and friends. 20+ year olds should know better.

Salmonax

ConfusingJazz said:
There is a perfectly good safety measure: The rails the idiots hopped over to river. If there is dangerous to be at the rail, they close the trail up.
Right - what I'm saying is that some people regard things like railings as being for "other people" who can't handle themselves. And these people are morons.

It's the season of stupid. Here's a picture of a guy minutes before he got sucked into a blowhole. People know somebody died there and just days later they are already crowding the blowhole for a look.

ee62aca6b14be10ff20e6a70670029ce.jpg

Watch the video and read the article about these other idiots at the same spot laughing about almost losing a friend while the kids are screaming and crying.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...alele-point-maui/story-e6freuy9-1226094594637

And a new one for today; woman who wanted to touch beauty sucked into a whirlpool at Niagra Falls.

r-NIAGARA-FALLS-large570.jpg

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Has anyone ever been to Yosemite? EVERYONE ignores the the optional guard railings across the park. I remember doing it when I was like 10, lulz, and I'm not some outdoors person either.

LM4sure

Banned
People are not going to heed the warnings of signs. It’s kind of idiotic that they didn’t listen to the people telling them to get their asses out of the water.

When I was in Ireland there were guard rails around the Cliffs of Moher and people (myself included) still went beyond them and walked up to the edge. It was pretty scary, but awesome at the same time.

In Kauai along the Kalalau Trail there is this sign telling you not to go in the water because a lot of people have died. I still saw a lot of people in the water. I was actually smart enough not to get in this time.

14iptlu.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
ggnoobIGN said:
Has anyone ever been to Yosemite? EVERYONE ignores the the optional guard railings across the park. I remember doing it when I was like 10, lulz, and I'm not some outdoors person either.
Well if everyone is doing it, it must be ok.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
xxracerxx said:
Well if everyone is doing it, it must be ok.
Pretty much the line of thinking. When you see more people over the guard railings, then in front of them, you pretty much just say what the hell.

Eteric Rice

tiff said:
Anyone dying is how nature works.

Dying young from stupid shit is also how nature works.

I don't think anyone is saying that these people are bad people. They were probably very cool and all. But they did something stupid, and they died for it.

It happens. It happens in nature, and it happens in the world of humans.

These people were sufficiently warned. They took a risk, and they lost it all.

Jobiensis said:
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, being that you confused a post about one of the people that died with the father holding his kid over the edge.

There is no evidence of malice from the three that died. I agree the father endangering the child is a dick move, but the article never states that he is related to any of the people that died, just that he was from the same group of family and friends. 20+ year olds should know better.
I never said that the 3 who died had any intentions of malice. They were stupid, and also terribly selfish. They put themselves into a situation that ended up in creating a lot of trauma for a lot of people, and all for what? A slight kick and a stupid picture?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the poor folks who had to witness those three fall over that deserves our sympathy, not that three who died.

madara

Sigh, it looks so beautiful, I would do anything to experience that. Surely wouldn't be an idiot and not obey obvious railings and signs. People really dont comprehend how good they have it to piss away life so.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
LM4sure said:
image of tiny sign

That sign really isn't big or graphic enough for a deterrent, unfortunately. But at least there's a sign. I reiterate my comment from earlier in the thread. They need to start posting photos and death tolls at the pool above the falls. I can see why casual hikers who don't have a lot of experience outdoors might underestimate the slipperiness of rocks on a river bed and how strong the current can be in a deceptively placid stream above a waterfall (particularly if you can't see the waterfall from that poll - I imagine you can hear it though, which still leaves me smh).

ggnoobIGN said:
I was just there last July (maybe you saw the pictures above) and walked the full extent of Panorama to Mist and down to the Valley. NOBODY was over the railings, along any part of the trail. Do to so, is taking your life into your own hands and risking death. Most people are smart enough not to do so.

luxarific said:
That sign really isn't big or graphic enough for a deterrent, unfortunately. But at least there's a sign. I reiterate my comment from earlier in the thread. They need to start posting photos and death tolls at the pool above the falls. I can see why casual hikers who don't have a lot of experience outdoors might underestimate the slipperiness of rocks on a river bed and how strong the current can be in a deceptively placid stream above a waterfall (particularly if you can't see the waterfall from that poll - I imagine you can hear it though, which still leaves me smh).
That's not a sign from Yosemite.

Look further up in the thread and someone else posted the sign from Yosemite.

TheJollyCorner said:
Really??? Posts like this are more tragic than the story.

Yeah it was stupid, but these were somebody's kids. Show a little bit of humanity.
I'm flattered my post was so touching.

If anything, this thread has made me want to revisit a few of my favorite waterfalls. A beautiful spectacle.

ggnoobIGN said:

Used to every year, even twice. This year there is so much snowpack, when I went up in mid-June there was still compacted ice, not everything had melted. The falls were at the most full I have seen them in years and everything had still not melted over. The emerald pool has warnings. Here's a current vid of the pool right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEHT93UL-R0

Anyone who gets in that is asking for trouble. It's not the usual placid pool you'll see in a drier year or late august.

A big ass sign saying don't fuck around would mar the beauty anyway, if people are going to be dipshits there is only so much the park service can do. I'd rather the areas not be quartered off or have huge obstructions.

alphaNoid

Banned
Noirulus said:
What's going on in that video? Did the guy behind the camera dude die at the end?

Edit: Removed text/images
This needs to be understood better I agree. I watched that video thinking someone from it died? Is that not true?

edit. Ok David Potts, 44 .. died in the blowhole. But I'm not sure he was in that video?

Parch

Big-E said:
People do this all the time in Vancouver. Always go out of bounds, always do what they are not suppose to do then they get lost and get hurt and the taxpayer has to pay for their rescue. A lot of people want people who deliberately break rules to have to pay for their rescue because it isn't cheap and I agree.
It's millions per year that is spent rescuing the stupid. Hiking and skiing trails are constantly ignored and people get stranded and injured, often requiring helicopter rescue. People are fined for breaking street laws, they should also be fined for breaking trail rules.

Maybe warning signs should include a hefty fine for violation. It obvious that safety concerns are never deterrent enough.

Jarmel

Banned
LM4sure said:
People are not going to heed the warnings of signs. It’s kind of idiotic that they didn’t listen to the people telling them to get their asses out of the water.

When I was in Ireland there were guard rails around the Cliffs of Moher and people (myself included) still went beyond them and walked up to the edge. It was pretty scary, but awesome at the same time.

In Kauai along the Kalalau Trail there is this sign telling you not to go in the water because a lot of people have died. I still saw a lot of people in the water. I was actually smart enough not to get in this time.

14iptlu.jpg

Nothing but a statistic.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
bigtroyjon said:
That's not a sign from Yosemite.

Look further up in the thread and someone else posted the sign from Yosemite.

I know it's not from Yosemite (says it right on the sign). My point was that a sign like that, whether on a dangerous beach or next to a rapidly-flowing river, isn't graphic/big enough to really deter anyone, particularly if there are inexperienced hikers reading it. You need to personalize the people who have died there and you can best do that with hard numbers and photographs of the dead (not referring to photos of their dead bodies here, just head shots from their drivers licenses, if their families would allow it).

mn-yosemite21_ph_0503810031.jpg

A red ban mark over a stick figure swimming just doesn't sufficiently convey how incredibly dangerous it is to wade in that pool area, imo.

Dreaver

Last week I was at some falls (Elbow) near Calgary, Some man was hiking behind the fences and slipt and fell down about 5-10 meters (I think) and rolled down another 5-10 meter. The man got rescued after some time with 2 helicopters and stuff. I think I arrived within 10 minutes after the accident. So I saw the whole rescue operation. He most likely survived it though.
Even how sad it may be, it shows how stupid people can be.

JGS

Banned
I had conflicting views about these kind of deaths. On one hand, i would never in a million years put myself in those situations, but I also know these extreme hikers that want to get off the beaten path.

There's a lot of folks out there that have the invincibility gene that tells them they are too skilled to die whether hiking, driving too fast, doing drugs, or whatever.

Basically, this isn't necessaily the same as planking on a balcony on the Darwin Award scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom