• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ: Red Faction Series Is Dead, Team Moving On To inSANE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I just heard this in THQ's conference call, and Neuromancer found an article on Joystiq confirming it.

The Red Faction series is dead, and THQ is moving the team to inSANE.

Joystiq said:
Red Faction: Armageddon has signaled the end of not just a planet, but an entire, transmedia universe. Speaking during an investor call this evening, THQ CEO Brian Farrell described the franchise's reach as "niche," and consequently no longer worth pursuing.

"Given that that title, now in two successive versions, has just found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way," Farrell said. He described the development team at Volition as "talented," and noted that they would be moving on to the company's Guillermo del Toro project, Insane.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/27/red-faction-franchise-wont-continue-in-any-meaningful-way/

Update:

Reilly said:
Not being killed off...yet. More like put on hold indefinitely. It can always be revisited.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1184555p1.html
So it seems it's only dead unless inSANE bombs or THQ suddenly finds themselves with lots of money.

Make a puzzle game, ala Boom Blox, with the engine.

It's seriously the most perfect idea for the series going forward. The only fun part of Guerilla was when you had to take down a building in x explosions. Who the hell wants to drive around and shoot people in a Red Faction game when the destruction is the only good thing!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RIP.

I had a bad feeling the first time I saw footage of Armageddon, and it's a shame the series had to end on that note. I bought Guerilla around release on PS3, and I bought it again recently on Steam. I would have been in line, day one for a proper sequel that improved on RFG, but instead we got a half-baked third person shooter. No thanks.

Dambrosi

Banned
After the last one lost its way so spectacularly, maybe this is for the best.

Though, I must ask - what is "inSANE"?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Also, I'd like to note that he's wrong.

Red Faction found an audience with Guerrilla, and they threw that audience out with Armageddon.

Armageddon certainly wasn't the game that found a niche, it was the game that made it a niche.

I would love destructible environments in a horror (OR ANY) game.

Walkin' along a hallway when a monster can randomly burst through a wall at any time.

RF:G 2 needs nextgen to power the scale of destruction I would be content with, so let them do something else for a while.(Also let gamers forget the mess that was RF:A)

Sectus

Well, that's a shame, Red Faction: Guerrilla was a really great game. Would love to have seen the destructive engine be used for more.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Niche, another word for dead.

Sad to the franchise die after the horribly mismanaged 4th entry in the series. Which is humorous because it seems like 3 repaired a lot of the distrust after 2. Only for 4 to do the same.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Make a puzzle game, ala Boom Blox, with the engine.

It's seriously the most perfect idea for the series going forward. The only fun part of Guerilla was when you had to take down a building in x explosions. Who the hell wants to drive around and shoot people in a Red Faction game when the destruction is the only good thing!
Who did that in Guerrilla? It was all about driving a car full of mines into a building and blowing it all up.

KingDizzi

Banned
They were shit games therefore this is very good news, then again moving onto a new IP will not suddenly make the team talented. Had inSANE started development yet?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can live without another Red Faction game, but it will be a damn shame if GeoMod isn't used again. It's one of the coolest techs to emerge this gen and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

ctrayne

Sectus said:
Well, that's a shame, Red Faction: Guerrilla was a really great game. Would love to have seen the destructive engine be used for more.
Agreed. They really just scratched the surface. Guerrilla is an awesome game as it stands, though. At least we have that.

Mdk7

Wasn't this inSANE thing directly related to (canned) Del Toro's At The Mountain of Madness?
Or i got it wrong?
Cuz with the movie officially dead, i assumed the tie-in would be cancelled as well...
Any word on this topic?
Did they change the whole project?

Armageddon brought this upon them. Guerilla was a great game and I wanted to see another in that open-world style direction. We got the exact opposite with Armageddon and with no multiplayer either. I really hope all the work that went into the geo mod engine finds a home with inSANE or the next Saint's Row.

Meh not a big loss IMO, I've never been attached to the Red Faction IP, although the games are pretty good

Hopefully the inSANE IP is more interesting to me and retains that destructible goodness that i love

Snuggler said:
I can live without another Red Faction game, but it will be a damn shame if GeoMod isn't used again. It's one of the coolest techs to emerge this gen and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

i've been beaten...

They had a legitimate hit with Guerrilla after being a very mediocre franchise before. Then, instead of growing on the things that attracted so many new fans they went back to the formula of the older games and made a very poor entry, and now they're surprised that the audience didn't follow? Guerrilla 2 could be a fantastic game, but if they're insistent on making such terrible choices then it's a series that deserves to die.

Rodney McKay said:
Who did that in Guerrilla? It was all about driving a car full of mines into a building and blowing it all up.
Me. I hated everything about the open world in RF:G. I was happy when I was destroying buildings and everything else was an annoying distraction.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's dead because they killed it. You can't follow up a mediocre but potentially interesting reboot with a shit game like Armageddon and expect people to care.

M.W.

Ushojax said:
It's dead because they killed it. You can't follow up a mediocre reboot with a shit game like Armageddon and expect people to care.

This, except Guerrilla was more than mediocre.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
THQ: Open-world destructibility of Guerilla + urban environment = $$$ from me.

C-Jo

Guerilla was great. It's a shame they crapped the series up.

Also, when does large scale destructibility come to Saint's Row?

C-Jo said:
Guerilla was great. It's a shame they crapped the series up.

If Guerrilla sold better they wouldn't have tried a different take on it. They made a great game in Guerrilla and people more or less ignored it. Frusterating to see such a great game get passed over because of the name on the box.

TheOddOne

Now we know why he left.

Volition Founder Mike Kulas Leaves Studio
Mike Kulas, founder and president of Red Faction and Saints Row developer Volition Inc, is to leave the company early next week.

He is voluntarily stepping down after 18 years with the Illinois-based games company, including five years with its predecessor, Descent developer Parallax Software.

Kulas co-founded Parallax with Matt Toschlog in 1993. After the company split in 1997, Kulas formed Volition, which was later bought by THQ.

Volition's vice president of product development Dan Cermak will take over from Kulas as Volition president. Cermak has been with the company since 2003.

Talking to Illinois news site The News-Gazette, Kulas noted that his departure was not triggered by any event, and he has been considering leaving the company since last year.

He said that with Red Faction: Armageddon now completed and Saints Rows: The Third "in the home stretch," now was a good time for him to leave.

Although THQ recently confirmed that Volition has been hit by layoffs, with 16 employees let go, Kulas said that there are no other layoffs coming in the near future.

Kulas said he has no immediate career plans at the moment, and is looking to clear his head before moving on to a new project or company.

Fox Mulder

they killed it themselves with shitty games. Armageddon was an awful shift from Guerrilla, and then there's that XBLA game.

It's for the best, Guerilla was excellent, but inSANE seems extremely promising, if it turns out well I'd much rather have it than RF:G 2.

MMaRsu

Banned
KingDizzi said:
They were shit games therefore this is very good news, then again moving onto a new IP will not suddenly make the team talented. Had inSANE started development yet?

Rofl, how are they "shit" games. I think you don't even know what a truly shit game is?

RFG was amazing, I have not played Armageddon but I have no intention beside having played the demo.

THQ singlehandily murdered their own franchise with a terrible disgusting third person shooter entry while RFG was just an amazing open world shooter. They could have build upon that and made it big, made a fortune really. But nooooooo, you gotta turn it into some generic TPS gears bullshit wannabe, and now that didn't work you cancel the whole franchise?

Fuck you THQ, fuck you. And Volition, unless you guys want to be closed down in a few years I'd suggest finding a different publisher or something.

Xater

Nirolak said:
Also, I'd like to note that he's wrong.

Red Faction found an audience with Guerrilla, and they threw that audience out with Armageddon.

Armageddon certainly wasn't the game that found a niche, it was the game that made it a niche.

Yup, They had something great to build upon but instead they threw all that out of the window. THQ's and Volition's fault to be honest.

V_Ben

Banned
*post echoing sentiments about Guerilla and Armageddon*

In trying to make a game that would sell better than Guerilla, they managed to get rid of everything that made Guerilla fun. Repackage the wrecking modes, sell it on PSN/XBLA, that's where the series could have found footing. But that's pointless now.

Top Bottom