• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Trade (trade hats for games)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=6040

As we all know, Jonas Salk invented money in 1955 so he would have a way to earn a living from his polio vaccine. Before that, people just traded things they found for things that other people had found. So you might "sell" somebody a scrap of carpet, say, in exchange for an old bottle. It was a perfect system with only one drawback: people spent their lives bartering for piles of garbage before dying of polio.

But wait. What if we told you that you could barter for things that weren't garbage, AND not die of polio? Steam Trading Beta lets you securely trade your in-game items for other in-game items from participating games. You can also trade Steam gifts (games on Steam that you've purchased but not yet added to your Games Library).

Want to try it out? In Steam, go to Steam > Settings, and opt into Steam Trading Beta. That's it! Now your Steam Community profile will have an item inventory, and you'll be able to view the item inventories of every public profile in the Steam community.

Now that you've opted into the Trading Beta, you can invite people to trade through Group Chat, and trade with anybody in your Friends List who's also opted in. Just right-click on their name and select "Invite to Trade" from the dropdown menu. Once your friend accepts your offer to trade, a trade window will open up. The first time you open the trade window, a step-by-step walkthrough will guide you through your first trade.

That's it! Opt in and get trading, or surf over to the Trading Beta FAQ for the nuts and bolts. And remember: Trading is still in beta, so don't forget to give us your feedback here on the Forums.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6748-ETSG-5417

Question
What is Steam Trading, how does it work and how do I participate in the beta?

Answer

How do I get into the Steam Trading Beta?

From the Steam Client, open Steam->Settings and select the ‘Steam Trading Beta’ option. The Steam Client will then need to restart in order to download and apply the change.
What items can be traded?

Team Fortress 2 items and Steam Gifts can currently be traded in the Steam Trading Beta.
Will there be other games that support trading?

We’re working now with other game developers to incorporate both Trading and Inventories. Portal 2 should be reasonably soon and we hope to have several third-party games in the next few months.

What do you mean by trading Steam Gifts?

Any game you’ve purchased from the store as a gift, or received as an Extra Copy, can be traded to other users. They can be used to trade for other Gifts, or for items in Team Fortress 2. We’ve added a new checkout option to the Store when purchasing a gift so you can save it for trading or sending later, to support users who want to save games for trade fodder.

What restrictions are there on trading Steam Gifts?

Trading a Steam Gift is very similar to sending a gift to someone; just that once it is traded that user can then either trade it again, or open it for themselves. There are no restrictions on territory.

Does Steam Trading mean I can sell my used games?

No, only games that have been bought as a gift, and thus have never been played, can be traded. Once the Steam Gift is opened and added to your game library, you won’t be able to trade it again.

How do I see my Inventory on the Steam Community?

Once you have opted in to the Steam Trading Beta, you can select Community in the Steam client, then on the right is a link to View Inventory.

Who can see my items?

Your inventory obeys your existing regular privacy settings – public, friends only, friends of friends, or private.

Who can I trade with?

Right now you can initiate a trade with anyone in a Group Chat or on your Friends List who has also opted into the Steam Trading Beta.

How is this different from trading in Team Fortress 2?

We’ve improved the display of changing which items are in the trade, and significantly increased the number of items that can be traded in one session. We hope these improvements will help with confusion or users trying to deceive others in the trade.
I have ideas for other things in Steam that can be traded. How do I give that feedback?

We’ve set up a forum thread here where you can post all feedback relating to the beta.

I have found a bug in Trading, how do I report that?

Please report all bugs in the same forum thread for giving feedback. Please click here to go to the thread. We will be actively reading the thread during the beta.

I think I just lost items in a trade! What do I do?

You’ll need to Contact Steam Support and create a new ticket. Please include your account name or a link to your Steam Community profile in the Support Ticket, as well as all the details you can remember from the trade. It will also be helpful to include a list of items that you have lost, a link to the Steam Community profile of the user that you traded with and the date and time of the trade.

What’s this new Friends Tagging feature?

It’s not related to trading, but in this new Steam Client is also a new feature to help you organize your friends list. You can right-click on any friend and select ‘Tag As…’ to choose a category for them. Friends can be tagged in multiple ways, and will show up then several times in your friends list, once for each tag.

Shame you can't trade off used games, but otherwise it sounds pretty cool.

trading_beta.jpg

MY BRAIN

Hmm... this makes me wonder what games my Sam & Max hat can get me. Or my OSX earbuds.

Everytime I play a TF2 match, I get spammed with trade requests. It's absurd.

erragal

Interesting take on real money transactions for virtual items in TF2. Really elegant solution that rewards publishers in addition to monetizing cosmetic items.

Brilliant design, expect to see more of this.

Can't see how this will help or enhance my experience in any way, since you can't trade away games you've played, but it's probably good for those who do a lot of gifting to avoid territorial restrictions and higher prices.

blamite

So... I can trade those extra copies of Portal I got for preordering 2 for other games, or hats? Neat, I guess.

The only hats I regret not getting are the Sam & Max ones. I didn't realize they would be upgraded to Steam Play later on so I went with the Mac versions right away. :(

Derrick01

Banned
Too bad for me that I never cared for these hats. I wish they would put a real trade system in, I have a bunch of games that I hate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. I'm so glad I don't care about TF2 junk, but whatever, it's cool that people have the option to sink to that level if they want.

beje

Banned
Whatever. I'm not touching TF2, not even with a stick, since the hat stupidity started (with the idle servers and general douchebaggery due to the halo hat) and looking at the course of events and updates, I guess I made the right decission.

hamchan

Derrick01 said:
Too bad for me that I never cared for these hats. I wish they would put a real trade system in, I have a bunch of games that I hate.

They would never create a used marketplace on Steam, that would be dumb of them.

Salsa

beje said:
Whatever. I'm not touching TF2, not even with a stick, since the hat stupidity started (with the idle servers and general douchebaggery due to the halo hat) and looking at the course of events and updates, I guess I made the right decission.

you made the worst decision in your life

i dont give a crap about hats and TF2 is the best multiplayer game ive ever played

Uriah

beje said:
Whatever. I'm not touching TF2, not even with a stick, since the hat stupidity started and looking at the course of events and updates, I guess I made the right decission.

You're missing out. You know when people talk about TF2 hats they are joking? The game is fucking amazing.

jambo

beje said:

Have fun not playing the best MP game around.

Baha

Tf2 hats aside, you can now buy games specifically for trading later. With the new trade system you don't have to do the "gift me the game first" dance anymore. You both put the games up for trade and make the transaction. This is huge for various reasons besides trading tf2 items.

hamchan

What do you mean by trading Steam Gifts?

Any game you’ve purchased from the store as a gift, or received as an Extra Copy, can be traded to other users. They can be used to trade for other Gifts, or for items in Team Fortress 2. We’ve added a new checkout option to the Store when purchasing a gift so you can save it for trading or sending later, to support users who want to save games for trade fodder.

Whoa whoa wait, you can start stockpiling games from the store now? That's pretty damn huge.

Salsa

Baha said:
Tf2 hats aside, you can now buy games specifically for trading later. With the new trade system you don't have to do the "gift me the game first" dance anymore. You both put the games up for trade and make the transaction. This is huge for various reasons besides trading tf2 items.

its pretty crazy how it sounds though, i can see a lot of people exploiting in the sense of buying a game to gift during a sale, then holding on to it and selling it for more money through paypal later, when the sale is gone.

MRORANGE

this is end up going to be like stock buying, someone will buy 50 copies of a game on a massive discount on a daily sale and will then use it to trade other games on sale.

I like it.

beje

Banned
SalsaShark said:
you made the worst decision in your life

i dont give a crap about hats and TF2 is the best multiplayer game ive ever played

That's what I used to think, until they turned it into "generic free to play MMO #3465" with the typical shit community of morons, random drops, trade spam and real cash item shop. I really saw it coming months before it went F2P.

Baha

SalsaShark said:
its pretty crazy how it sounds though, i can see a lot of people exploiting in the sense of buying a game to gift during a sale, then holding on to it and selling it for more money through paypal later, when the sale is gone.

There doesn't seem to be a monetary system in place for the trading atm. So those people who buy cheap and sell high will continue to do so outside of the new trading system.

Salsa

beje said:
That's what I used to think, until they turned it into "generic free to play MMO #3465" with the typical shit community of morons, random drops, trade spam and real cash item shop. I really saw it coming months before it went F2P.

how do you know they turned it into that if you havent played it?.. there's tons of servers with people just playing and having fun. The GAF server for example.

Baha said:
There doesn't seem to be a monetary system in place for the trading atm. So those people who buy cheap and sell high will continue to do so outside of the new trading system.

still, they just open that door to people who wanna do that

Uriah

beje said:

There is a GAF server, you can turn off trade requests, and I don't actually know anyone who buys stuff from the cash shop that isn't a key.

1-D_FTW

Cool, I guess. I was kind of hoping it was some public mart where I could just pawn off my Tier 2 Treasure Hat and Bill's Hat without having to do any work. I doubt anybody on my friends list wants that garbage.

TGMIII

beje said:

And you have no idea what you're actually talking about. Cool.

Surprised something like this didn't come earlier to be honest, should be interesting to see how it takes off.

Yeef

I'm hoping the fact that friend-tagging uses the same interface as game categories means that being able to put games into multiple categories is right around the corner.

I also hope they introduce Steam gift cards soon. Even if it's just virtual gift cards like Amazon does that would be amazing.

beje said:
You must've just been playing on shitty servers. if you completely ignore cosmetic items the game is just as much fun as it's ever been.

Baha

SalsaShark said:
how do you know they turned it into that if you havent played it?.. there's tons of servers with people just playing and having fun. The GAF server for example.

still, they just open that door to people who wanna do that

No, they just make it easier, before you could just buy copies and keep sending them to 1 email.

jambo

beje said:

How in the hell is it in any way generic? Name one other multiplayer-only shooter that has as detailed a story and characters as TF2.

The community is awesome, in Australia at least, with tonnes of servers filled to the brim with team players. There's hardly any trade spam in chat these days, and most good servers have rules against it and people work them out pretty quickly. And 99% of the items in the "real cash item shop" can be found in game or traded for without needing to spend a cent.

hamchan

So they haven't added the new gift options to the store yet right?

Also dragging TF2 items to chat windows is awesome.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
beje said:

wat

Morons existed even before TF2 went F2P, you can pretty much block trades, and item shop is pretty much ignorable.

beje

Banned
SalsaShark said:

Easy, all of my closest Steam buddies used to play it until they suddenly stopped one by one after me, all of them for the same reasons I stated: "They're turning this into a stupid MMO step by step, I'm out before they start charging for stuff". Gave me the best reason not to come back ever. Then it actually went F2P, the real money store appeared and we all thought nothing of value was lost. Anyway, enough off-topic. Erm... do anyone want to trade my spare copy of Portal? Is there anybody that still has not played it either from The Orange Box or when they started to give free copies to everyone?

Top Bottom