• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Trade (trade hats for games)

Yeef

I'm really curious to see how the cross-game trading stuff works out down the line just on an academic level. Seeing how one game's market effects another, how sales effect trade values and other such peculiarities. Should be interesting.

Salsa

Baha said:
No, they just make it easier, before you could just buy copies and keep sending them to 1 email.

ha, always wondered about that, thought there was a time limit or something

beje said:
Easy, all of my closest Steam buddies used to play it until they suddenly stopped one by one after me, all of them for the same reasons I stated: "They're turning this into a stupid MMO step by step, I'm out before they start charging for stuff". Gave me the best reason not to come back ever. Then it actually went F2P, the real money store appeared and we all thought nothing of value was lost. Anyway, enough off-topic. Erm... do anyone want to trade my spare copy of Portal? Is there anybody that still has not played it either from The Orange Box or when they started to give free copies to everyone?
You and your friends don't know how TF2 works at all.

jambo

beje said:
Easy, all of my closest Steam buddies used to play it until they suddenly stopped one by one after me, all of them for the same reasons I stated: "They're turning this into a stupid MMO step by step, I'm out before they start charging for stuff". Gave me the best reason not to come back ever. Then it actually went F2P, the real money store appeared and we all thought nothing of value was lost.

How did the highlighted effect your day to day matches?

If you never click on the store and just play the game like you did for the past 4 years it's still the same.

And why do you keep saying MMO, as if MMO's are a bad thing?

vehn

man why can't they let you write notes about individual friends for yourself like Battle.Net has? I don't remember half the people on my friends list and I'll just have to tag them as ???

BigAT

Is there any way to see what you currently have that is available for trade? I've been looking around in Steam for a while now and can't see anything.

hamchan

beje said:
Easy, all of my closest Steam buddies used to play it until they suddenly stopped one by one after me, all of them for the same reasons I stated: "They're turning this into a stupid MMO step by step, I'm out before they start charging for stuff". Gave me the best reason not to come back ever. Then it actually went F2P, the real money store appeared and we all thought nothing of value was lost. Anyway, enough off-topic. Erm... do anyone want to trade my spare copy of Portal? Is there anybody that still has not played it either from The Orange Box or when they started to give free copies to everyone?

Your Steam buddies don't know what they're talking about.

BigAT said:
Is there any way to see what you currently have that is available for trade? I've been looking around in Steam for a while now and can't see anything.
Go to your community profile, click on "View Inventory" at the side underneath actions and if there's a Steam tab right next to Team Fortress 2 you should see the games there that you can trade.

Kritz

Banned
Part of me is confused on how this will actually pan out. Like, can't people just buy the hats from the store?

I guess more to the point, I'm sure the "hat economy" will have a general game-price that each hat is worth. So, a $40 game is equivalent to a slightly rare hat. But, like, at what point would it just be easier and cheaper to buy the hat from the store?

I guess you can't buy hat effects yet, and this might be a slightly more obtainable way of getting those.

IT SEEMS SILLY IS ALL I'M SAYING. But I guess this is just a response to Blizzard's real life monies action house. Embrace the trading so you can make money from it, rather than... not making money, I suppose.

hamchan said:
Your Steam buddies don't know what they're talking about.
To be fair, I kinda feel the same way.

I miss vanilla TF2. It's not the same game now. Not that I'm saying it's bad now, it's just not the game I want to play.

And yes, I know, there are vanilla servers, but still!

Orayn

beje said:
That's what I used to think, until they turned it into "generic free to play MMO #3465" with the typical shit community of morons, random drops, trade spam and real cash item shop. I really saw it coming months before it went F2P.
That's why you find a sub-community you like and just ignore everyone else. I've been playing with people from Fighting Amphibians and Team Weeaboo since 2008, and it's exactly the same group of wonderful morons. Well, I guess it's the same group of wonderful morons plus some silly hats, actually.

Kritz said:
Part of me is confused on how this will actually pan out. Like, can't people just buy the hats from the store?

I guess more to the point, I'm sure the "hat economy" will have a general game-price that each hat is worth. So, a $40 game is equivalent to a slightly rare hat. But, like, at what point would it just be easier and cheaper to buy the hat from the store?

I guess you can't buy hat effects yet, and this might be a slightly more obtainable way of getting those.

IT SEEMS SILLY IS ALL I'M SAYING. But I guess this is just a response to Blizzard's real life monies action house. Embrace the trading so you can make money from it, rather than... not making money, I suppose.

You can't trade most items bought from the store, including all hats.

BigAT

Rickenslacker said:
Go to your community profile, click on "View Inventory" at the side underneath actions and if there's a Steam tab right next to Team Fortress 2 you should see the games there that you can trade.
Thanks.

hamchan

I see the hat economy crashing and then no one will buy the overpriced items from the Mann Co store anymore. I guess more games will be sold on the store though, so this is essentially Valve transferring some of their profits to the other publishers on the store.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Hmm... this makes me wonder what games my Sam & Max hat can get me. Or my OSX earbuds.

Everytime I play a TF2 match, I get spammed with trade requests. It's absurd.
They are worth a lot, especially the Sam & Max hat. Like a hundred bucks for the hat and about 15-20 bucks for the buds. (unless prices have changed over the past few months)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm... Mining TF2 for Steam games... Hmm...

Sober

Well, being able to buy a gift copy and send it later is gonna be nice too, that's probably the best part of the update.

I mean, sure, you can trade around TF2 hats and Steam games, but how big is that specific part of the community going to be compared to people trading hats for hats or games for games?

Salsa

its cool to help gaffers since they're always saying how they arrived late to a specific sale, etc

also when someone asks you to buy something for them and say "i'll pay you back with paypal tomorrow!", now you can hold the game until they do :p

TheOGB

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
trading_beta.jpg

MY BRAIN
xmXVX.gif

Exuro

Question here.

Will games that we've already purchased that are part of a pack become part of the stockpile?

For example, if I buy the THQ pack but already have Dawn of War 2 does that become a stockpiled game?

If so sign me up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
beje said:

One should learn how to filter gaming friends.

Exuro said:
Question here.

Will games that we've already purchased that are part of a pack become part of the stockpile?

For example, if I buy the THQ pack but already have Dawn of War 2 does that become a stockpiled game?

If so sign me up.

No. It's mostly only Valve games that you can get extra copies from.

Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following specific cases:
Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
Users who own "Dawn of War II"and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.
Extra copies may apply as a part of some limited time promotions. In that case, information on what will be included with your purchase will be listed on the storefront's transaction page.

These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game.

These promotion do not apply to any games other than those specifically listed.

Amagon

Man the last time I played TF2 was back in early 08 before the hat craze bullshit train came. I miss TF2 and PC gaming soooooo much. I'm using a Eee pc :(

Yeef

Exuro said:
Question here.

If so sign me up.
You've always been able to 'stockpile' games by emailing them to yourself. I doubt the way that works will have changed at all. That is, it's up to the publishers discretion. generally, any extra copy of Valve games you buy become giftable. Redeeming packs that are on sale from other publishers or super-cheap indie packs generally doesn't give you any extra copies if you already owned some of the games. i doubt that will change.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SalsaShark said:
you made the worst decision in your life

i dont give a crap about hats and TF2 is the best multiplayer game ive ever played
There should be a way to disable hats, if there isn't already.

Boonoo

hamchan said:
I see the hat economy crashing and then no one will buy the overpriced items from the Mann Co store anymore. I guess more games will be sold on the store though, so this is essentially Valve transferring some of their profits to the other publishers on the store.

I don't see why anyone would buy them right now. None of the hats you can buy are worth anything, though. Pretty much nothing but unusuals and some promotional items (bill's hat, Max's hat, earbuds) are worth more than the price of a key (2.50).

A key is worth 2 refined metal, and you can earn a refined in around 3 weeks if you play 8 hours a week.

Unusual hats start out at around 12 keys (8 keys equals earbuds, 4 equals bill's hat).

There should be a way to disable hats, if there isn't already.
Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't added the option to turn them off.

Igo

Do the hats actually serve a purpose in TF2 or is it purely cosmetic? Would I be correct in assuming that they can be removed with a cvar or some sort?

Igo said:
Do the hats actually serve a purpose in TF2 or is it purely cosmetic? Would I be correct in assuming that they can be removed with a cvar or some sort?
They're mostly cosmetic, but there are some sets that require a hat to get the bonuses.

Personally the hats don't make a difference either way to me, I actually don't mind the Skinner box of getting items every week and hoping for a hat/making metal to craft one. Though the unusual hats rub me the wrong way, they're just aesthetic sure, but I never liked those kind of effects in games. The flaming heads in Halo: Reach bother me the same way.

Boonoo

Igo said:
There are 4 or 5 that change stats (I think Valve decided against adding more, luckily), but the rest are cosmetic. What you can do, is go through your files and have every hat point to the original models, so no matter what they're wearing it shows up as the vanilla. You can only do that on servers that don't use sv_pure.

It would be simply for them to let you do that with a simple button press, though. For the hats that are game changing they could maybe just have it be vanilla+a color or something. Although, what they should do is just get rid of the set bonus.

commissar

Reluctant-Hero said:
Hmm... this makes me wonder what games my Sam & Max hat can get me. Or my OSX earbuds.

Everytime I play a TF2 match, I get spammed with trade requests. It's absurd.
Go to adanced options and turn off trade requests (or set it to friends). Enjoy the silence :)

Boonoo

commissar said:
Go to adanced options and turn off trade requests (or set it to friends). Enjoy the silence :)
Or keep them on and get roughly 100 bucks worth of games for those 2 items.

shagg_187 said:
GAMES for GAMES as well.

That said, I just realized my brother has Bill's Hat!

*steals it before he realize it*
Hahaha.

There's a Team Fortress 2 Trade OT in the Community, check it and ask for prices etc.

Boonoo

Stallion Free said:
This is so weird. It's like they beat Diablo 3 to the punch kind of.
Yeah, my brother was talking to me about that today. I think the difference is is that in Diablo the whole point of the game is to farm for items. It could get to the point where you could basically say that my character is worth 20 bucks an hour. What an odd dynamic that will add to the game.

Uriah

Stallion Free said:
This is so weird. It's like they beat Diablo 3 to the punch kind of.

Valve hired the guy who made the TF2 backpack site (which is also used for trading). He also made the original idling program which was later banned and everyone who used it had any items earned while using it removed. Funny enough, the guy got VAC banned for getting a golden wrench through "improper" means.

Top Bottom