• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Trade (trade hats for games)

G_Berry

Banned
SiriusTexra said:
So how would one busk on the street in this society? If your patrons money is going into your hat, but your hat is money....and their money is hats.....

Fuck this I'm out.

BOOM!

Close the thread.

I'm not sure what to think of this. The idea of trading in games for hats sounds absurd, but I'm not completely opposed to trading hats for games.

At least now there's a monetary reward for the grind (and the prize for gambling money for the hats actually has value now)

hamchan

Don't see why anyone would think this is bad at all. Someone explain the downsides of this? That's right you can't because there are none ha ha ha.

rakhir

First hats-based economy!

Awesome though how many in-game items now
legitimately
have real life value all of sudden.

RealMeat

Banned
Subliminal said:
So how do I see all the hats I got when I last played Team Fortress (about a year ago) without installing it.
If you turn on the trading beta, it shows your inventory on your profile page.

beje said:
Whatever. I'm not touching TF2, not even with a stick, since the hat stupidity started (with the idle servers and general douchebaggery due to the halo hat) and looking at the course of events and updates, I guess I made the right decission.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbo4cVRSNBw

Game is still quite fun (basically they didn't turn it into too much of an mmo) but I understand the sentiment.

Anyway you're missing the bigger picture: tf2 hats are now effectively steam's store currency, like gamersgate blue coins but even better because they are more liquid.

SalsaShark said:
its pretty crazy how it sounds though, i can see a lot of people exploiting in the sense of buying a game to gift during a sale, then holding on to it and selling it for more money through paypal later, when the sale is gone.
People could already do that though - you never had to send gifts to anyone when purchasing them. I still have gifts I have never sent.

Uriah said:
No, not really. You can only trade games that aren't on your game list.
Sort of - you can only trade giftable games, which means games bought expressly as gifts or games that came with free giftable copies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it funny that somehow these anti-hat people are able to conjure up a TF2 where everyone only trades hats. Somehow that small percentage manage to make them think that it's equivalent to the whole community/game.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
HvPGd.jpg

I've been cool with everything valve has done to TF2 up until now, but this..... I dont know. It just feels like a step too far.

I fear its going to become much, much more difficult to get a good hat-to-hat trade anymore. Anyone with a good item to trade is only going to want to trade it for games now, and as a result those who aren't willing to shell out money to buy the specific games that traders desire are gonna be out of luck.

I honestly don't see how people can give this a pass after being so up in arms about the Diablo 3 real money auction house. They're kind of the same thing.

So this means that on every sale instead of buying games for myself, I'll buy them all as a gift and only open them when I feel like playing them.

Yep, poverty here I go!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Roy G. Biv said:
I've been cool with everything valve has done to TF2 up until now, but this..... I dont know. It just feels like a step too far.

I fear its going to become much, much more difficult to get a good hat-to-hat trade anymore. Anyone with a good item to trade is only going to want to trade it for games now, and as a result those who aren't willing to shell out money to buy the specific games that traders desire are gonna be out of luck.

I honestly don't see how people can give this a pass after being so up in arms about the Diablo 3 real money auction house. They're kind of the same thing.

Most hats go for 1-2 refined which is ~$2. Unless someone wants a Magic: The Gathering foil conversion DLC, hat to hat trades will still be the norm.

Unusuals and Max Heads are a different story, though.

Metal Gear?! said:
Nope. You can still trade it outside of steam or use ebay, of course.
What an oversight.

I hope they add this feature in later

Roy G. Biv said:

The Mann Co store will be the trump in all this.

Nobody is going to trade a 20 dollar game for a hat that can be bought for 5 dollars, for example

masterkajo

BomberMouse said:
So this means that on every sale instead of buying games for myself, I'll buy them all as a gift and only open them when I feel like playing them.

Yep, poverty here I go!
Is this possible though? Can I buy a game as a gift and open the gift myself and add the game to my steam account? Or would I need two different steam accounts for that'?

mitheor

About those hats, do you know why some of them don´t appear in my profile?

For example the ones from the Red Orchestra 2 Preorder, or the one from From Dust. Do i have to wait until the release date or it´s because i did not log into the game for a few months? :$

mitheor said:
About those hats, do you know why some of them don´t appear in my profile?

For example the ones from the Red Orchestra 2 Preorder, or the one from From Dust. Do i have to wait until the release date or it´s because i did not log into the game for a few months? :$
It's because you haven't played TF2 in awhile.

Right now there's no way to collect your items without being in-game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nephilimdj said:
Seems a bit unfair valve are adding this before they allow you to own more then 1 copy of 99.99% of games on steam.
Send a gift to your e-mail, don't open it and bam, you have a copy of the game sitting in your inventory that you can use for trading.

Omikaru

I have a few "rare" hats from TF2 (rare enough that strangers add me on Steam and bug me for them), and I don't play TF2 at all. Time to get my trade on!

masterkajo

Omikaru said:
I have a few "rare" hats from TF2 (rare enough that strangers add me on Steam and bug me for them), and I don't play TF2 at all. Time to get my trade on!
What are considered rare? I only own Bill's hat. AFAIK, it was only for pre-order of L4D2. Does this count as rare?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
UnluckyKate said:
Steam is crashing upon laucnhing for me on OSX since I launch the trade beta.

GREAT

delete clientregistry.blob

launch steam with the -clearbeta flag (on OSX, go to terminal, type either open /Applications/Steam.app --args -clearbeta or /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steam.sh -clearbeta--one of these should work) you should be opted out of the beta and using the regular client. i've never done this on OSX, only Windows, so I'm not 100% sure it'll work.

KiKaL

Looks like the Beta Crashes Steam on Mac. I had to reinstall steam and when I opted in a second time it crashed again. Guess I will have to wait to check it out at home. Mac users beware.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
masterkajo said:
What are considered rare? I only own Bill's hat. AFAIK, it was only for pre-order of L4D2. Does this count as rare?

Off the top of my head (prices could be wrong):

Bill's Hat goes for ~$8
OSX earbuds go for ~$16-20
Max's Head goes for ~$50-60
Unusual hats go for ~$50-1500

Omikaru

Archie said:

Bill's Hat goes for ~$8
I have Bill's Hat and Max's Head. :O

And someone had the gall to ask me for them for nothing a while back!

I kinda wish I'd gone for the earbuds now, too, since I had a Mac when Steam was released for it, and just thought, "Eh, can't be arsed downloading it for an in-game item for a game I don't play."

If only I could see the future...

Stumpokapow said:
delete clientregistry.blob

launch steam with the -clearbeta flag (on OSX, go to terminal, type either open /Applications/Steam.app --args -clearbeta or /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/steam.sh -clearbeta--one of these should work) you should be opted out of the beta and using the regular client. i've never done this on OSX, only Windows, so I'm not 100% sure it'll work.

The two of these does not work. They both do something different but the result is the same : crash upon start

wutwutwut

masterkajo said:
Is this possible though? Can I buy a game as a gift and open the gift myself and add the game to my steam account? Or would I need two different steam accounts for that'?
Yes, it's possible and it's been like that for ages.

Hakkuei

Archie said:

Bill's Hat goes for ~$8
What about the soldier's medal?

masterkajo

PaddyOCanager said:
Honestly this is great and all, but I really wish I could trade my games I don't want to play anymore.
I don't see this happening but I am there with you. I already have a category on steam "shouldn't have bought" that is by far larger than my "games" category...

kodt

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Send a gift to your e-mail, don't open it and bam, you have a copy of the game sitting in your inventory that you can use for trading.

Yeah, but if you buy something like the Ubisoft Complete pack during a summer sale, and then next year they have it again but with 5 new games, you can't buy it and get gift copies for all the games you already own.

JWong

Banned
Can anyone confirm if this isn't like ingame trading?

I don't need to be on premium membership to trade, do I? (buy an item to be able to trade)

Top Bottom