• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -- $20.99 (Amazon DotD). Buy this game!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fucking BUY THIS. You owe it to yourself. Of course, if you don't like simple, rudimentary activities like reading words, this might not be the game for you.

But we're adults, so I don't see how this is possible. Only a child would complain about having to read things.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game. It's a game that shows the power of interactivity as a storytelling device. If you are at all interested in narrative in games, get this game.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Great game with a nicely done localization (which can make or break games like this), but only get this if you enjoy visual novels or is interested in playing one, skip otherwise.

Zomba13 said:
Just found a path guide (no spoilers. Just saying what path to take to get which ending)
Turns out the way I went on my first play through would have got me the 'true' ending if I had gotten another ending first. That is why it just ended at a cliffhanger. Kind of annoying. Like, I know they want me to see the other endings but I kinda feel cheated, getting it 'right' the first time and being stopped because I didn't get the 'right' 'wrong' ending.

Still very much enjoy this game. Going the route for the right wrong ending this time. Wish I could skip the puzzles I've already done. I know how to do them now. It's no fun doing the puzzles I've passed over and over. I just want to get more of the story now.
Even though I didn't use a guide I was in the same position as you (would have gotten the true ending in the first playthrough but got the cliffhanger one). I was a bit bummed at first for being cut off like that for apparently no reason but, like others have said, it does pay off in the end.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Earl Cazone said:
it is not as good as gaf makes it to be. i am only in the beginning though, maybe it will get better. but i cant really get myself to finish it

and i hate that there will be multiple endings. i hate that
Most everyone says you don't really see the true brilliance of the game until you play through multiple times and see how all the endings work together in the overall narrative.

Volcynika

Earl Cazone said:
it is not as good as gaf makes it to be. i am only in the beginning though, maybe it will get better. but i cant really get myself to finish it

Well, tons of people that have beaten it love it, and you're only in the beginning.

Also helps if you're into the type of game it is.

Ra1den

Bought! Thanks for the heads up. Anybody that wants it better act fast, looked like there were 10 left while I was placing my order.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Earl Cazone said:

I just used a guide to get all the endings, but some crazy stuff happens in each one. The corrrect ending is amazing though.

DuckRacer

How long does a replay take? I'm currently close to finishing my first playthrough but if I have to do this another six times for the "full experience" I'll be annoyed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Earl Cazone said:

DuckRacer said:
How long does a replay take? I'm currently close to finishing my first playthrough but if I have to do this another six times for the "full experience" I'll be annoyed.

LOL

LiK

DuckRacer said:
Considering the changes (major and minor) with each playthrough, you wont find it too repetitive but each playthrough is lengthy. You can fastfoward anything you read already. Very handy.

Durante

This game was interesting enough that I actually played it 9 times to get all the endings without reading a guide. And that was despite being annoyed at having to re-do the puzzles each time.
For reference, I usually complete games once at most, even really good ones.

Btw, when playing the game, don't leave your note sheet lying around where people can see it, it might make you seem (spoilers!) slightly insane.

DuckRacer

LiK said:
Considering the changes (major and minor) with each playthrough, you wont find it too repetitive but each playthrough is lengthy. You can fastfoward anything you read already. Very handy.
Didn't know about the fast-forwarding, that's good to hear.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
DavidDayton said:
You know, all things considered, this really should be $9.99.
Aksys needs the money so that they can bring over even more obscure Japanese titles.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Trojita said:
Aksys needs the money so that they can bring over even more obscure Japanese titles.

Oh, I didn't mean the game wasn't "worth" $20.99 -- I meant that a $9.99 price would be quite fitting.

Just to clarify, when you're all saying, "Buy this now! Best story ever!" what you mean to say is "It has the best story ever!
Which you get snippets of every once in awhile between arbitrary puzzles! At the very, very end, after getting through hours of puzzles and mediocre dialogue multiple times, there's a really cool twist!

I really don't see the appeal of stuff like this. There's no reason that this shouldn't be a graphic novel or cartoon or whatever. Besides the twist at the end (which is cool, but in the end is just a twist. Doesn't exactly take a genius to come up with a twist in a story), being a game just brings the whole thing down. If you have a story to tell, I don't see why on earth you wouldn't want to just tell it instead of piece-mealing it between puzzles.

Zwei

Futureman said:
This game is $20 new at Gamestop.

I just did a search and every store within 30 miles has it in stock.

I live in a state with 8.25% sales tax, so this Amazon DOTD remains a good deal for me. (no tax + free shipping)

Plus, it's Gamestop. o_O

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Amazon update XD

# Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #29 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

* #1 in Video Games > Nintendo DS > Adventure
* #1 in Video Games > Nintendo DS > All Games

Awesome <3

Wichu

Can you order stuff from Amazon.com from Europe? I've been wanting to play this for a while, but it's never come out over here :(

Feep

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Just to clarify, when you're all saying, "Buy this now! Best story ever!" what you mean to say is "It has the best story ever!
Which you get snippets of every once in awhile between arbitrary puzzles! At the very, very end, after getting through hours of puzzles and mediocre dialogue multiple times, there's a really cool twist!

I really don't see the appeal of stuff like this. There's no reason that this shouldn't be a graphic novel or cartoon or whatever. Besides the twist at the end (which is cool, but in the end is just a twist. Doesn't exactly take a genius to come up with a twist in a story), being a game just brings the whole thing down. If you have a story to tell, I don't see why on earth you wouldn't want to just tell it instead of piece-mealing it between puzzles.
The twist at the end isn't merely a narrative twist, it's something that uniquely utilizes both the gaming medium and the DS hardware in particular. I don't know how that's confusing.

Moreover, I *certainly* spent more time reading than I did solving puzzles. It's more like the puzzles are arbitrarily intermixed with the story, not the other way around.

What's the appeal of graphic novels? The story could easily be told without pictures. DS visual novel games add visual stimulus, AND sound, AND a level of interactivity that isn't possible with any other medium. Stop shitting on other people's opinions.

Futureman

Zwei said:
I live in a state with 8.25% sales tax, so this Amazon DOTD remains a good deal for me. (no tax + free shipping)

Plus, it's Gamestop. o_O

Even with sales tax it's only like $0.60 more and you can get it today!

But I have no extra money this month, so hopefully it stays $20 at GS.

Zafir

Wichu said:
Can you order stuff from Amazon.com from Europe? I've been wanting to play this for a while, but it's never come out over here :(
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even with this sale on it comes to the same price as you would pay from an import shop located in europe due to shipping and import tax.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Amazon update XD

# Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #22 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

Amazing :D Keep on truckin', 999!

Zwei

Futureman said:
Even with sales tax it's only like $0.60 more and you can get it today!

yeah, I guess. I personally don't need it immediately and it gets delivered straight to my door. :)

and I save the $0.60

Wichu

Zafir said:
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even with this sale on it comes to the same price as you would pay from an import shop located in europe due to shipping and import tax.
Good point. I haven't imported any games yet (other than being sent a few US rather than UK versions by Amazon Marketplace sellers). You wouldn't happen to know of any good places to get it in the UK, would you? :)

jorgeton

This game is a total trip.

When the big reveal happens during the true ending, it literally felt like reality was slipping away from me. I had to put the DS down because I needed a moment to catch my breath. I was also drunk at the time, but still.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Amazon update XD

# Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #16 in Video Games (See Top 100 in Video Games)

Stupendous :3! Shine on, 999, you crazy diamond! XD

Jintor

ussjme said:
This game is extremely overhyped on GAF imo. I guess maybe it just resonated with a lot of people since we don't get many graphic adventure titles released here. It's a very good game, one of the very few that I've actually replayed to get all the endings, but its not the end all be all of games like this extreme hype would suggest.

Lol no-one's saying it's the end all be all of games, it's just really good. I agree with the rest of your assessment though.

Feep said:
The twist at the end isn't merely a narrative twist, it's something that uniquely utilizes both the gaming medium and the DS hardware in particular. I don't know how that's confusing.

Moreover, I *certainly* spent more time reading than I did solving puzzles. It's more like the puzzles are arbitrarily intermixed with the story, not the other way around.

What's the appeal of graphic novels? The story could easily be told without pictures. DS visual novel games add visual stimulus, AND sound, AND a level of interactivity that isn't possible with any other medium. Stop shitting on other people's opinions.

This

Top Bottom