• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -- $20.99 (Amazon DotD). Buy this game!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
2j0xp28.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VR5PPY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Do it. Do it!

One of the most satisfying stories in a game I've ever encountered. The way it was structured was phenomenal. Truly a game that deserves everyone's attention. Basically:

BUY THIS, YOU FUCKS

Codeblue

This is one of the few games with an atmosphere so powerful that it affected my mood. I've never felt as hopeless as I was during my time with this game. It may not sound like it, but thats a good thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Codeblue said:
This is one of the few games with an atmosphere so powerful that it affected my mood. I've never felt as hopeless as I was during my time with this game. It may not sound like it, but thats a good thing.
Try and play Saya no Uta, and not coming out feeling sick.

Whelan

Banned
I got this last week. About to go in for the second play through. I have a feeling there is a lot more to find out!

Sotha Sil

I know (well, I think I heard) the game involves
time travel of some sort

Will I still enjoy it, or is the spoiler too big? Thanks in advance, Gaf.

would anyone recommend this to someone who did not like the phoenix wright titles? i've been meaning to get this since so many on neogaf praise it..

slick7rick said:
would anyone recommend this to someone who did not like the phoenix wright titles? i've been meaning to get this since so many on neogaf praise it..
What didn't you like about the Ace Attorney games?

Ledsen

I'm playing this right now and I'm not finding it to be very good. The writing isn't great and the story repeats itself too much. I'll make a LTTP thread when I'm finished, but for now it's a disappointment. If this were a book I honestly don't think I'd finish reading it.

Gunloc said:
What didn't you like about the Ace Attorney games?
stories, characters, actions, emotions, etc were too childish & immature for my taste. i enjoyed the hotel dusk game but did not finish it.

slick7rick said:
stories, characters, actions, emotions, etc were too childish & immature for my taste. i enjoyed the hotel dusk game but did not finish it.
Well, 999 is a lot darker than the Ace Attorney series. You're not going to find any over the top animations or super wacky characters.

If you have trouble to committing to finishing these types of games though, it might be a bit of a problem. Winning the game multiple times is essential to getting the full experience of the game.

Ledsen

Gunloc said:
Well, 999 is a lot darker than the Ace Attorney series. You're not going to find any over the top animations or super wacky characters.

If you have trouble to committing to finishing these types of games though, it might be a bit of a problem. Winning the game multiple times is essential to getting the full experience of the game.
Really? That's interesting. How much changes on subsequent playthroughs? Just some parts or most of the game?

Jintor

You'll take entirely different routes and get different endings. But it works best if you discover why it's so essential for yourself.

On a related note, don't make the LTTP thread after one ending.

Ledsen said:
Really? That's interesting. How much changes on subsequent playthroughs? Just some parts or most of the game?
I don't want to say too much as it could be considered spoilers, but you can't even see the "true" ending without at least playing the game through twice. (And it still depends on what endings you've already seen.)

999 uses the multiple ending mechanic in a way that I've never seen done before in any game, and once you see the true ending it'll all come together in a way that I think is very satisfying. I beat the game six times and found every playthrough interesting and worth while.

Korigama

Ledsen said:

Each ending acquired builds upon what the player already knows, coming together to form a larger picture of just what's happening with the story, yet still managing to subvert expectations (many questions answered, only for new ones to emerge as you continue).

What you'll see will be determined by the paths you take, and the responses you give while talking with the other characters.

StunandStab said:
I played the demo and thought it was terrible because there were far too many words.
The extreme amount of explanations is only present in the first puzzle room. And the demo, while fun, doesn't really give a good impression of the actual game IMO.

But if you don't like to read, this game is not for you.

Gunloc said:
The extreme amount of explanations is only present in the first puzzle room. And the demo, while fun, doesn't really give a good impression of the actual game IMO.

But if you don't like to read, this game is not for you.

Yeah, probably not. I didn't like that the game was trying to be a novel.

Jintor

StunandStab said:
Yeah, probably not. I didn't like that the game was trying to be a novel.

Definitely not the game (or genre) for you. Much like the Phoenix Wright games, 999 is borderline visual novel.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Jintor said:
Definitely not the game (or genre) for you. Much like the Phoenix Wright games, 999 is borderline visual novel.

Fixed. :p

Oh, and PEOPLE MUST BUY THIS GAME IT'S COMPLETELY WORTH IT!!

Zafir

Meh. Importing it from amazon makes it just as expesive if it wasn't on offer. £13 for the game itself, £7 for shipping, and another £4 for import fee deposit(Even though the game is under £18).

Zomba13

Picked this up earlier in the week and been playing it a fair bit. I loves it.
On my third play through at the moment. The first ending I got seemed like it could have continued but it just kinda ended abruptly. The second ending I got was fucked up
The Submarine ending

Really really like this game.

Ledsen

Gunloc said:
I don't want to say too much as it could be considered spoilers, but you can't even see the "true" ending without at least playing the game through twice. (And it still depends on what endings you've already seen.)

999 uses the multiple ending mechanic in a way that I've never seen done before in any game, and once you see the true ending it'll all come together in a way that I think is very satisfying. I beat the game six times and found every playthrough interesting and worth while.
So is there a fast-forward mechanic on subsequent playthroughs? There's no way
I'm reading hours of the same dialogue again, especially with the super slow text crawl (I read much faster than the text).

Korigama

Ledsen said:
So is there a fast-forward mechanic on subsequent playthroughs? There's no way
I'm reading hours of the same dialogue again, especially with the super slow text crawl (I read much faster than the text).

Yes, there is. You'll be prevented from skipping through anything you haven't seen up until that point (a useful way to make sure you're trying/seeing something new). Puzzles, however, must be repeated.

Crazetex

Oh my god.

I got it last night; I was waiting for a price drop + to find it used.

Never, ever play it before bed - or in the middle of the night, stranded in your car in a creepy parking lot. My god, I was ready to die.

Ledsen

Korigama said:
Yes, there is. You'll be prevented from skipping through anything you haven't seen up until that point (a useful way to make sure you're trying/seeing something new). Puzzles, however, must be repeated.
Just got my first ending and tried the fast-forward. That's great.

Top Bottom