• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -- $20.99 (Amazon DotD). Buy this game!

Codeblue

Sotha Sil said:
I know (well, I think I heard) the game involves
time travel of some sort

Will I still enjoy it, or is the spoiler too big? Thanks in advance, Gaf.

I remember that. I saw that same post before I played the game and it didn't really ruin anything, I won't say anything beyond that.

Monocle

This better be worth it, dammit. Last week I bought three portable games with Amazon's buy two get one free special. I'm trusting you, GAF.

Javier

Zomba13 said:
Picked this up earlier in the week and been playing it a fair bit. I loves it.
On my third play through at the moment. The first ending I got seemed like it could have continued but it just kinda ended abruptly. The second ending I got was fucked up
The Submarine ending

Really really like this game.
That's a good way to start the game. It gets sooooooo much better.

I gave into GAF hype on this back in February and it didn't impress me too much. For $20 it might be worth it. If you like visual novels, you will probably like it.

Jintor

Sotha Sil said:
So, are we talking meaningful choices? I'm a sucker for choice-oriented visual novels.

How can I put this... it's not so much the choices you make as the culminative impact of your choices... eventually.

Hmm. That might not be a lot of help.

Clott

Truly an original game with the way it put everything together, if you haven't played it please do, it's truly amazing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fun game, though the puzzles were really easy and I didn't like the whole true end, it was soooo hokey...
present day June and friends creating their own version of the Nonary Game just to help child June solve a Sudoku puzzle
. My introduction to the VN genre, and makes me want to try more in the future.

This game hooked me a few weeks ago. Once I started playing I couldn't put it down. I played through to all the endings in less than a week.

matmanx1

Loved it! I put over 20 hours in back when the 3DS first came out getting all of the endings and I can honestly say the game hooked me hard for a few days. I ended up staying up super late to get the true ending one night and the whole experience was just really really cool.

It's one of those games that you really need to have a little bit of patience with to get to the truly good stuff because of the way the endings build on each other and the way the real, true story isn't revealed until you've done at least a couple of the other endings. Much love for 999!

Sleeper GOTY for sure.

If you only play one visual novel in your life, it might as well be this one.

Shows how amazing writing can elevate a combination of story and mechanics into something truly special.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My current GOTY even though it was released at the end of last. Anyone who loves good games and doesn't buy this is truly missing out.

Hylian7

This was easily one of my favorite games of 2010. Plus a sequel is on the horizon too!

Don't let the fact that it's a VN hang you up. This was my first in and I was hesitant at first, but I loved it! It's also gotten me into buying a bunch of other VN-esque games for the DS too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can't recommend this game enough, but before you buy understand that you aren't getting an adventure game, you're getting a visual novel. There is a lot of just sitting there watching text in this game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can't get this game ATM, but I can get Hotel Dusk. Never played visual novels before, but I love puzzles and I love good stories in books or otherwise. Shall I go for it, gaf?

LiK

blu said:
I can't get this game ATM, but I can get Hotel Dusk. Never played visual novels before, but I love puzzles and I love good stories in books or otherwise. Shall I go for it, gaf?
Just do it.

Javier

The_Technomancer said:
I can't recommend this game enough, but before you buy understand that you aren't getting an adventure game, you're getting a visual novel. There is a lot of just sitting there watching text in this game.
Seriously. Don't go into this game expecting Ace Attorney/Hotel Dusk level of interaction. The game is incredibly talky.

The sexual innuendo in a couple of scenes is simply hilarious, though.

Riposte

This game IS an adventure game where do you go through rooms doing puzzles and collecting items for other puzzles, but it has a lot of "talking" as people put it. The amount of cutscenes/dialogue a game has doesn't change what genre it is though. For it to be a visual novel it would need like 50+ fewer puzzles.

And the puzzles are decent. I only had a rough time with 2 or 3 of them.

Also this game is a good example why listening to game music before you play it is as bad as reading spoilers.

GSR

I can't say much that hasn't been said; if you're a fan of visual novels or just text-heavy adventure games you should definitely grab it while you can. And they just announced a sequel (or at least a spiritual successor), so why not play it now and then be forced to endure the agonizing wait with the rest of us?

Kambing

Well shit, i just bought this yesterday at amazon... Time to talk to customer service and get a refund in price -_-

Zomba13

Just found a path guide (no spoilers. Just saying what path to take to get which ending)
Turns out the way I went on my first play through would have got me the 'true' ending if I had gotten another ending first. That is why it just ended at a cliffhanger. Kind of annoying. Like, I know they want me to see the other endings but I kinda feel cheated, getting it 'right' the first time and being stopped because I didn't get the 'right' 'wrong' ending.

Still very much enjoy this game. Going the route for the right wrong ending this time. Wish I could skip the puzzles I've already done. I know how to do them now. It's no fun doing the puzzles I've passed over and over. I just want to get more of the story now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zomba13 said:
Just found a path guide (no spoilers. Just saying what path to take to get which ending)
Turns out the way I went on my first play through would have got me the 'true' ending if I had gotten another ending first. That is why it just ended at a cliffhanger. Kind of annoying. Like, I know they want me to see the other endings but I kinda feel cheated, getting it 'right' the first time and being stopped because I didn't get the 'right' 'wrong' ending.

Still very much enjoy this game. Going the route for the right wrong ending this time. Wish I could skip the puzzles I've already done. I know how to do them now. It's no fun doing the puzzles I've passed over and over. I just want to get more of the story now.
Eh....the true ending will not have nearly the emotional impact that it does if you haven't done the others first. Its my honest recommendation that you complete all the others before going back.

Zomba13 said:

Heh, once you get all the other endings and then the True ending you'll understand exactly why they did that. Being able to get the True ending on the first go would ruin a bit of the story.

Seriously, even if you follow the guide don't try getting the True ending ASAP. I highly suggest getting all the other endings first, and I'm sure anyone else that played the game would suggest the same thing.

I remember international shipping being expensive, I'd try to get this otherwise. I really want to own this game ;___;

*sigh* Guess it'll have to be on my next trip to the US...

Zomba13 said:

Trust me, it's a good thing they didn't allow you to go farther. Make sure to get every other ending before the one needed for the true ending.

Javier

Yeah, I also recommend getting all the bad endings before going for the True ending. Helps tie up a few loose ends, not to mention getting the bad endings after the True ending feels kinda anti-climatic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
lucablight said:
I would like to add to the chorus of BUY IT
Indeed, Clover compels you all to buy it!

j1O7R.gif

Zomba13 said:

Trust me when I say there was a reason it happened that way.

ussjme

This game is extremely overhyped on GAF imo. I guess maybe it just resonated with a lot of people since we don't get many graphic adventure titles released here. It's a very good game, one of the very few that I've actually replayed to get all the endings, but its not the end all be all of games like this extreme hype would suggest.

With that said, 20 dollars is a steal and if you have any interest at all I highly suggest you pick this up. The writing is phenomenal. Makes the story seem better than it actually was.

it is not as good as gaf makes it to be. i am only in the beginning though, maybe it will get better. but i cant really get myself to finish it

and i hate that there will be multiple endings. i hate that

Top Bottom