• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: OTR - New Weapon Vids *NSFW*

ArjanN

From the achievement list I can say there's a sandbox mode as well this time. There's some other spoiler stuff in there as well.

Orayn

Capcom still has me by the balls when it comes to Dead Rising and Monster Hunter, so I'll probably wind up getting this as long as the scoops have been remixed as well as the main story. I love me some Frank West.

.la1n

SalsaShark said:
this aint saints row

My thoughts exactly, and it looks just as unpolished as Dead Rising 2. Good job Capcom picking these guys up. Call me when you figure out how to get your farmed out franchises made on your own engine.

edit: past farmed out in this particular case, now they own the studio obviously ;)

Orayn

.la1n said:
My thoughts exactly, and it looks just as unpolished as Dead Rising 2. Good job Capcom picking these guys up. Call me when you figure out how to get your farmed out franchises made on your own engine.

edit: past farmed out in this particular case, now they own the studio obviously ;)
What was so unpolished about Dead Rising 2? If anything, I felt it was more polished than the original and I fucking loved the original.
Chao said:
Dead Rising is not a GTA clone.
This. If you're want just-go-nuts sandbox games, Dead Rising is not the series for you.

Chinner

Banned
i don't get the gta/saint row thing. i mean they're both open-world, but dead rising is actually open-world and is actually fun.

Orayn

Chinner said:
i don't get the gta/saint row thing. i mean they're both open-world, but dead rising is actually open-world and is actually fun.
Some people hate the scoops, survivors, psychopaths, and storyline and want the games to be like Just Cause 2.

Enco

The return of tank controls?

The weapons look pretty stupid (save for the laser which looks cool).

Definite no buy after DR2 (ahh time limits, tank controls and useless zombies).

P.s. time limits don't make a game about zombies more realistic

Orayn

Or are just looking for a completely different game. Those "flaws" are what make Dead Rising into the action-adventure route planning/time and resource management game I love so very, very much. When you ignore preconceived notions of what an open-world game is supposed to be, Dead Rising is hugely unique and creative. But no, people want Saints Row with zombies. People...

EDIT: What tank controls? Resident Evil had tank controls. Mega Man Legends had tank controls. Dead Rising 2's controls were wholly comparable to other modern action-adventure games, and it used a bog-standard dual analog shooter setup when you held down L with a gun.

And you're right, Dead Rising isn't realistic at all, and it's pretty bad as a pure sandbox game. That's probably because it's not trying to be either of those things.

MjFrancis

It's been a while since I played any Dead Rising game (Case Zero being the last) but I recall any firearms combat to be a pain in the ass. I can understand where the 'tank controls' claims come from, even if I don't entirely agree.

MjFrancis said:
It's been a while since I played any Dead Rising game (Case Zero being the last) but I recall any firearms combat to be a pain in the ass. I can understand where the 'tank controls' claims come from, even if I don't entirely agree.

I've found firearms to be pointless in DR2, CZ and CW, especially against bosses/sub bosses, etc. You deal out considerably more damage if you use one of the hundreds of melee weapons that are scattered around the place/use one of the dozens of combo card melee weapons.

Orayn

MjFrancis said:
Oh yeah, most of the guns were pretty bad in terms of power and usefulness. You kind of had to use them during a few story missions for DR2, but you were better off giving them to a survivor 90% of the time.

Chinner

Banned
Enco said:
The return of tank controls?

The weapons look pretty stupid (save for the laser which looks cool).

Definite no buy after DR2 (ahh time limits, tank controls and useless zombies).

P.s. time limits don't make a game about zombies more realistic
and nothing of value was lost. go bk 2 cod.

Chinner

Banned
Orayn said:
What's so terrible about it, apart from it not being Saints Row with zombies?
- no quick save
- time limit
- no regenerating health
- no fps mode
- bosses are hard
- no on-screen prompts telling you how amazing you are
- no competitive deathmatch

Kacho

This looks like a fun time. I'll pick it up for sure, but I hope to God the Psycho battles aren't complete garbage this time around. (I'm sure they will be)

Chinner said:
- no quick save
- time limit
- no regenerating health
- no fps mode
- bosses are hard
- no on-screen prompts telling you how amazing you are
- no competitive deathmatch
cant tell if this is sarcastic or not.
Because that list is what i would put of reasons i really like this game.

Dead Rising is one of the very few new genres this generation we should be praising it for being original and still great.

JWong

Banned
Orayn said:
What's so terrible about it, apart from it not being Saints Row with zombies?
Canned and unresponsive actions is the worst for me. There are many weapons that are so clumsy that they put you in more danger when you use them. And the fact that you spend like 10 seconds wearing a hat, smashing your face on the controller trying to cancel it while zombies surround you and kill you, that's poor design.

Inventory limit kills the more enjoyable weapon mixing feature (with no ability to write down weapon locations).

And forcing players to replay the same awful story over and over to complete all the content is over extending its life.
Chinner said:
- no quick save or checkpoints
- time limit
- bosses are hard stupid
These are fixed and valid.

ArjanN said:
From the achievement list I can say there's a sandbox mode as well this time. There's some other spoiler stuff in there as well.
Ooooooooooh

Krauser Kat said:
cant tell if this is sarcastic or not.
Because that list is what i would put of reasons i really like this game.

Dead Rising is one of the very few new genres this generation we should be praising it for being original and still great.
He was being very sarcastic.

schick85

SalsaShark said:
this aint saints row
The two Dead Rising games always had a lot more crazier shit going on than the two Saints Row games already out. Not really seeing your point here.

ninja stealth edit: Guess this is all subjective. It's just that the Japanese never ceases to surprise me.

Orayn

JWong said:
Canned and unresponsive actions is the worst for me. There are many weapons that are so clumsy that they put you in more danger when you use them. And the fact that you spend like 10 seconds wearing a hat, smashing your face on the controller trying to cancel it while zombies surround you and kill you, that's poor design.
The variation in animations and windup/cooldown frames kept the weapons from feeling too samey and also helped you differentiate between practical weapons and the ones that were just for fun. The animations upon changing clothes/accessories... Yeah, I guess I can see the frustration. Personally, I learned my lesson the first time and resolved never to play dress-up unless the store was completely cleared of zombies. It still would have been nice if they were cancel-able like answering walkie-talkie calls and the like.
JWong said:
Inventory limit kills the more enjoyable weapon mixing feature (with no ability to write down weapon locations).
I kind of get this one as well. Your inventory starts pathetically small, but it grows with you as you learn the ropes and become more familiar with the game mechanics. It serves the secondary function of forcing you to learn which food/drink items restore the most health and which weapons last long enough to be good for long trips. By the time you can hold lots of stuff, you'll be able to carry a nice load of practical items in addition to whatever silly stuff you feel like trying out.
Also, lots of the utility closets have little hints about which combos you can make with nearby items, as they would often include uncommon things like batteries, power drills, and flashlights.
Jwong said:
And forcing players to replay the same awful story over and over to complete all the content is over extending its life.
I actually liked the story, but I think my lucky stars the cutscenes were skippable. I didn't see it as a burden, but as the base level of challenge for each run-through of the game. Most of my fun came from continuously figuring out how many scoops I could take on, which items I should have been using, and how best to navigate the map while juggling the story missions.

Checkpoints were provided after several story missions.
The time limit, I felt, was what made the game interesting and worth replaying.
The boss difficulty was indeed a bit uneven compared to run of the mill zombie fighting.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
JWong said:
What, you can't afford a pen and a piece of paper?

The process of having to remember where you saw things is a desirable element to some. See Metroid.
Uh, you don't have to do that.
These are fixed and valid.
DR2 had checkpoints when each case was completed.

Dead Rising's whole point is time management and having actual consequences for bad planning. Taking that element out is like saying Mario could be better with less jumping.

Bosses, I'll give you. They're a real crapshoot.

Razlo

I <3 that Dead Rising is a series now and I hope that Blue Castle doesn't listen to what the haters want out of Dead Rising, when it comes time to make 3, because the haters don't actually want what makes Dead Rising special.

I'll be getting this, as I am a DR fanboy and love Frank West.

JWong

Banned
Shig said:
What, you can't afford a pen and a piece of paper?

The process of having to remember where you saw things is a desirable element to some. See Metroid.

Uh, you don't have to do that.

DR2 had checkpoints when each case was completed.

Dead Rising's whole point is time management and having actual consequences for bad planning. Taking that element out is like saying Mario could be better with less jumping.

Bosses, I'll give you. They're a real crapshoot.
The fact that you're asking me to use paper and pen shows that the game needs a location recording mechanic ingame.

I had saved every hostage I could possible save, and I didn't get 100% completion. Unless you're telling me that I don't have to play the game again, which I will not anymore.

DR2's "checkpoint system" was that you had to return to the only base in the game that is usually far, far away from objectives, while there is a time limit. Do you really consider to be checkpoints when there is 20+ minutes of unsaved gameplay? I sure don't.
Remember saving that singer and having to sit through that entire, boring sequence? Then you run into a case of "bad luck" with retarded AI getting killed and you have to... sit through it again! oh dear lord no more.

Chinner

Banned
you guys actually need to write down where things are? jesus you must have really awful memories. i pretty much know where all the items and ideal hostage paths without any real problem. i mean you've got to put effort into it, but you shouldn't expecting to do this shit on a first run anyway.

Orayn

JWong said:
The fact that you're asking me to use paper and pen shows that the game needs a location recording mechanic ingame.
Why, though? I think it's fun to do that sort of things yourself, every now and then. Makes it feel like I'm making my own fun and figuring something out, rather than having the game do my thinking for me and hand me fun on a silver platter.
JWong said:
I had saved every hostage I could possible save, and I didn't get 100% completion. Unless you're telling me that I don't have to play the game again, which I will not anymore.
There are some survivors that aren't announced by walkie-talkie messages, but you're right in that there's no point in doing another playthrough if you didn't enjoy your first, second, etc.
JWong said:
DR2's "checkpoint system" was that you had to return to the only base in the game that is usually far, far away from objectives, while there is a time limit. Do you really consider to be checkpoints when there is 20+ minutes of unsaved gameplay?
I don't think there's a single location in the game where you're more than five minutes away from a bathroom. You can also just use the other save slots to "fork" your progress if some plan of attack goes all pear-shaped on you.
JWong said:
Remember saving that singer and having to sit through that entire, boring sequence? Then you run into a case of "bad luck" with retarded AI getting killed and you have to... sit through it again! oh dear lord no more.
Having to do an annoying scoop over again can be a real pain in the ass, but I approach it more like a Tony Hawk game where you learn the course, prepare yourself, and go for a "perfect run" of some small segment. Once you've got that down pat, you can chain it together with other such runs until you're ripping up the entire game and doing exactly what you want. All of that, however, does hinge on you finding some enjoyment in other aspects of the gameplay to keep you going.

pvpness

I love DR. It's sad to me when people don't like the time system. The entire game(s) is based around Chuck/Frank being a timelord. That fact alone makes the game so easy that I can only pity those who cunt about not being able to do absolutely everything on their first run.

If you don't wanna have a timelord avatar in a game, don't fucking play Dead Rising. For gods sake, we've got Majora's Mask and Dead Rising games that use this system and a billion other games that don't. Go play them.

Top Bottom