• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unfortunately, Batman: Arkham City IS using Games for Windows Live (Eurogamer)

New thread for new news:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-30-warner-batman-ac-is-a-gfwl-title

Batman: Arkham City is a Games for Windows Live title, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive has confirmed to Eurogamer.

This comes following a Tweet from digital retailer Green Man Gaming, which claimed it had been told by Warner that Rocksteady's game was "Games for Windows but NOT a Games for Windows 'Live' title."

Gamers were first alerted to the situation in June when box art, which showed the Games for Windows Live logo, emerged.

Shit, another game I'm not buying then.

100% of my GFWL games have been rendered completely unplayable by that shitty system and I've learned my lesson.

Salsa

t'was better to hold off and post a new thread about Warner refering to the issue directly. Only thing we have now is two different sources saying two different things.

GMG (who are actual sellers of the digital version of the game, so yeah) says they recieved an Email directly from Warner saying the game is not gonna be GFWL.

Eurogamer says they recieved an Email directly from Warner saying that the game is gonna be GFWL.

so yeah

SalsaShark said:
t'was better to hold off and post a new thread about Warner refering to the issue directly. Only thing we have now is two different sources saying two different things.

GMG (who are actual sellers of the digital version of the game, so yeah) says they recieved an Email directly from Warner saying the game is not gonna be GFWL.

Eurogamer says they recieved an Email directly from Warner saying that the game is gonna be GFWL.

so yeah
maybe it's gfwl for europe :p

NBtoaster

SalsaShark said:

so yeah

The publisher is by far the better source on the matter..

Never had a problem with GFWL.

Eusis

soulassssns said:
And that is bad why?
Save issues for those that don't use a program to back them up, a terrible patching method, and a litany of other crap people could go on about.

soulassssns said:
And that is bad why?

To quote myself from the old thread:

Mama Robotnik said:
Bought two Games For Windows Live titles, and was unable to play either of them due to that shitty, shitty system. Its intrusive, prone to disastrous failure without warning, and renders purchases unplayable from the moment of installation.

I can't understand why any company would actually choose to anchor their PC releases to a such a toxic product, and can only assume they do so because they prioritise agreements with Microsoft over the quality of the consumer experience. Instant disrespect to any publisher and developer that is either idiotic or corrupt enough to force it on their customers.

Good on Rocksteady for abandoning it, if only everyone else would follow suit.

Its a disastrous piece of shit that destroys saves, renders purchases unplayable and pales in comparison to far superior alternatives. Infecting your game with it is like choosing to release a poisoned software.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's weird that I've never had a single issue with any GFWL title in the past (certainly none of the ones listed in this thread) and as a small bonus i like how it's linked to my XBL profile and i get achievements added to it and such, so yeah don't really have a problem with this, if it's true.
Definitely sucks for most people who have had issues with the service tho.

Zeliard

Awful.

And Eurogamer is probably accurate here given that they also mentioned GMG in this news bit. So they almost certainly took steps to verify before publishing.

Salsa

graywolf323 said:
I kinda trust GMG more than Eurogamer

I actually do too, specially with Snuggler's other thread about them pulling shit out of their ass about EA.

Then again, GMG must be probably telling the truth (dont see why they wouldnt), and the statement of it NOT being a GFWL title could be just a Warner PR's screw-up.

Aaron

NBtoaster said:
The publisher is by far the better source on the matter..

Never had a problem with GFWL.
I assume you've never had cancer either. Doesn't make it any less bad.

I won't take Arkham off the list. I will wait for a steam sale though.

NBtoaster

I don't understand how GFWL can destroy saves. It doesn't have a cloud system or anything. I've made trillions of saves in Fallout 3 and never had a problem with them.

tsab

I personally prefer it than having steam to tell you the truth.I have a windows live account already (hotmail e-mail) so I don't mind. I don't have a steam account and I do not intend to get in the near future. I downloaded a crack to play my DNF:BoS edition.

inb4 steam is the best thing ever arguments

Salsa

tsab said:
I downloaded a crack to play my DNF:BoS edition.

d897f782ff13a84d94c8348542bd9f78b551c948.jpg

Special J

Banned
NBtoaster said:
I don't understand how GFWL can destroy saves. It doesn't have a cloud system or anything. I've made trillions of saves in Fallout 3 and never had a problem with them.

probably because users make a profile make saves which are bound to that profile then delete the profile and ask where did these saves go. its prolly user error.

Salsa

Special J said:
probably because users make a profile make saves which are bound to that profile then delete the profile and ask where did these saves go. its prolly user error.

lololololololololololol

no.

its called opening the game one day and your saves are gone

use google

Zeliard

I'm just gonna paste this Stump post so people stop asking why GFWL is so heinous:

Stumpokapow said:
That's absolutely true. Steam on day one was significantly worse than GFWL today... of course, Steam on day one was also significantly worse than Steam today, so I'm not really sure that the angle is for the comparison.

For all the people saying "I have no idea what anyone is complaining about", here are the major issues with GFWL:
- Profile issues. Signing in on a profile on Xbox 360 (or booting up a 360 if the profile is set to auto sign-in) will kick you out of a game on GFWL. This is true, of course, with Steam on multiple computers (or MSN or a lot of other user profile things), but it's much more likely to be triggered in a 2+ person household with a 360 and a PC.

- DRM issues. Different games have different DRM. Some games (I'll give an example that's a crappy game but it's true for good ones as well--Where's Waldo) are locked to one gamertag. This is a more restrictive licensing system than the 360 and for really no reason. I understand that the newer release games have more flexible DRM in many cases, but the inconsistency is just as annoying as the restrictiveness.

- Patching issues. To patch a game you need to launch the game, sign in to your gamertag, get the patch message, get booted out of the game, download-and-install the patch (which itself requires you to wait rather than having it done in the background like Steam), relaunch the game, and re-sign in. On the other side, developers have to submit patches through MS QA which incurs them additional costs as well as slows the process down immensely. The reason that Valve is able to, say, improve Team Fortress 2 so often, is because no such hurdle exists on Steam.

- Pay DLC / Free DLC. Steam has absolutely no input or desire for input on how much, what kind, and how expensive DLC is. If a developer wants to pump out tons of free DLC, Steam is all for that. MS has historically interfered with developers elsewhere who try to make free DLC.

- Missing features. Steam supports cloud saves. Steam supports backups of your game. Steam has resolved most/all their issues with playing offline. Maybe Epic would have used cloud saving, maybe not. I would assume they would, since Valve bends over backwards to make it easy for developers to do so.

- Serious bugs, technical issues, and compatibility issues. GFWL is less router-friendly than Steam; as in far more people experience connectivity issues. GFWL has had a number of bugs, including client upgrade bugs, that have resulted in a total nightmare or many users. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, installing GFWL breaks Samba shares in most other operating systems and for most media players, jeopardizing your ability to share media across your house. This is a hassle. Maybe you haven't experienced it. Congratulations. Just like not having had an RRoD does not mean that 2005 vinage 360s are a stable, sturdy machine, not having experience problems with GFWL doesn't mean that there aren't serious technical issues.

- No client. Some people don't like running the Steam client. For them, this is an advantage. Of course you're still "running" a GFWL client, it's just only the overlay-style components. It's not like you're saving resources, really. Either way, for those of us who make use of the Steam client--to be able to message people when they're not in games or when we're not in games, GFWL's setup (client for the marketplace, no client just to chill out) is unusual.

- Overlay is less functional. On Steam you can use the overlay to check out a walkthrough, browse GAF, or really do whatever you want. On GFWL, the overlay is strictly for Live messaging and viewing game achievements. Yes, you can alt-tab out of the game, but the impact of doing so varies per game and with Steam you don't have to.

- GFWL is not free for developers, Steamworks is totally 100% free.

- Ongoing support. Compare Valve's record and Microsoft's record on improving their products on PC and innovating features on PC. If Microsoft launches the Xbox 720, will they drop GFWL again? They laid off most of the team at one point and cancelled in-progress PC ports and didn't greenlight anything new for ages. I don't doubt the sincerity of Microsoft's current commitment (just like I don't doubt the sincerity of their current commitment to IE, for example), but there's nothing stopping them from just cutting and running when corporate priorities shift, and there's virtually no chance of that happening with Valve. I don't think this will involve, say, discontinuing activation servers or closing up shop, but I do think this will involve periods of stagnation if the product is not given favoured son status. Also, remember that Microsoft tried unsuccessfully to charge money for multiplayer on PC. While I commend them for fixing that error, I don't think there's anything precluding them from trying again in the future--they discontinued it because it was unpopular, not because they recognized that it was a bad idea. Valve will never charge for multiplayer :p

Now, the advantages of GFWL:
- You get to buy things using Microsoft points. This isn't actually an advantage, because you can use a scrip system on Steam, you have more payment options on Steam than on GFWL, the sale benefit of being able to accumulate cheap points for MS purchases is more than eclipsed by Steam's more aggressive sales, etc.

- You earn achievements that earn Microsoft gamerscore. Of course there are still achievements on Steam, Valve offers developers more flexibility with implementing, changing, and adding them, and nothing is really different. Is this an advantage? Yes, for people who care about their gamerscore. But really it boils down to "We're Microsoft, bitch" and I'm not sure how the 360 version doesn't cover that.

- You get to message back and forth with your Microsoft friends. Is this an advantage? It is if most of your friends are on the 360. It isn't if most of your friends are on Steam. If your friends are on both, it's neither an advantage nor a disadvantage, although personally I prefer Steam chat to MS messages, because I can continue the conversation when I finish playing the game I'm playing.

What all three advantages have in common is that they're all "If you love Microsoft and want to surround yourself with Microsoft's version of everything, use Microsoft Games for Windows Live for your Microsoft needs". Which is fine, but you guys should consider that all of those Microsoft things are true for the 360 version, and if this game didn't use GFWL, you guys would buy the 360 version. That's totally cool and all, but since you were going to buy the Microsoft version regardless, the rest of us are stuck with the disadvantages and don't necessarily make use of these advantages!

Special J

Banned
SalsaShark said:
lololololololololololol

no.

its called opening the game one day and your saves are gone

use google

dirt3 was because the patch probably changed the save structure, honestly thats on codemasters for not supporting legacy saves.

but dont get me wrong i dont like middleware like gfwl, but i just hate seeing people taking the easy approach and blame gfwl for everything.

Salsa

Special J said:
dirt3 was because the patch probably changed the save structure, honestly thats on codemasters for not supporting legacy saves.

but dont get me wrong i dont like middleware like gfwl, but i just hate seeing people taking the easy approach and blame gfwl for everything.

GFWL is a horrid service, there is far more than enough proof to support this, of course im gonna blame GFWL. It did the same thing for me with two different games from two different developers, 2 years from each other.

I never had this issue on Steam.

not fanboy-ing, just telling the truth.

Eusis

NBtoaster said:
Fallout 3's one of the better examples really. Should any freak incident happen you can use a GFLW deactivater, copy your saves into the directory your User folder is in, then just keep playing sans achievements, and you can even get a mod for the game to track them anyway if you care enough.
Special J said:
You mean like installing your OS to a new drive, copying your entire User directory over, log into your SAME profile, and be unable to access your old saves anyway? Because that happened to me with Batman, at least I didn't get very far, just
the Bane fight IIRC
. Apparently that could've been avoided with a save manager, but that and SFIV are the ONLY games where a straight up copy didn't work, presumably because either A. the developers/publishers were jerks and put in some copy protection feature of GFWL's, or worse B. games like Fallout 3 and Dawn of War II are freak exceptions to a Microsoft mandated policy to obfuscate saves in order to protect those god damn achievements of theirs from being cheated. Or just came before this hypothetical mandate, whichever.

Edit: And honestly, adding support for cloud saving ala Steam WOULD help mitigate this issue, not that I expect that to be flawless but at least it'd compromise between (useless) save security for achievements and being able to use my saves across computers/installs freely.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't have any GfWL-related issues* with Fable III, however I chalk that down to using an offline profile... something I had to do since GfWL wouldn't accept my password, even though I knew it to be correct and later confirmed that suspicion by signing into my profile via the website.

* Issues that dicked me over, such as buggered saves.

Edit: Clarity

Special J

Banned
darkwing said:
does this mean its always on drm?
gfwl doesnt do this it would be upto the publisher and wb games doesnt really get their hands dirty with this sorta thing so highly doubt it.

wbgames yay? lollipop chainsaw and bastion :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GFWL is gross, but I can't pass on Batman. On the plus side, it's one of only a few worthwhile GFWL titles on the horizon...it might be dying out.

markot

Banned
Lets just face facts.

Microsoft made GFWL begrudgingly, and doesnt know what its doing, or even wants to do in the PC area.

Valve made steam out of love, sweat and tears, and has a vision it is working towards.

The end!

Eusis

JaseC said:
I didn't have any issues with Fable III, however I chalk that down to using an offline profile... something I had to do since GfWL wouldn't accept my password, even though I knew it to be correct and later confirmed that suspicion by signing into my profile via the website.
Had that same issue with Viva Pinata. Actually, I half expect my save didn't carry over for that either, but at least I don't really mind having lost it in this case. And I guess you COULD counter this with the idea that if you beat a game and pick it up years later you'd be better off restarting anyway, but that's not very comforting and is a useless defense for Street Fighter.

And I may just go for Batman on consoles with a Steam sale later on like I've done with a surprisingly large chunk of the games I've played this generation, but I'll be curious to hear how saves are and how that save manager handles Batman, since that really is my biggest beef with the service.

Salsa

damn that's nice said:
I love Games for Windows LIVE.

edit: completely unironic

edit2: using my 360's gamertag on the computer? yes why not?

Because the fact that you didnt have any issues so far doesnt neglect the fact that hundreds have?

I mean fuck, if i was using a service that was working fine but read everywhere that there's a high probability that it'll fucking erase my save files i would get the hell out and never risk a playthrough on that service again. I just dont get you people.

I get it that some might say "ugh, this sucks, im really aware of GFWL's issues but i appreciate that it lets me use my xbox gamertag so i'll still use it because of that"

but to say "I LOVE GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE" when everyone else is talking about the horror stories is just.. stupid to me.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
damn that's nice said:
I love Games for Windows LIVE.

edit: completely unironic

edit2: using my 360's gamertag on the computer? yes why not?
You loving it still doesn't make it less horrible unfortunetaly.

The only good thing is that it looks like GFWL is dying out on PC. Developers see how broken it is for both gamers and devs alike.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Eusis said:
And I may just go for Batman on consoles with a Steam sale later on like I've done with a surprisingly large chunk of the games I've played this generation, but I'll be curious to hear how saves are and how that save manager handles Batman, since that really is my biggest beef with the service.

If the word-of-mouth surrounding GfWL in Arkham City is positive enough, I'll still purchase Arkham City on PC (Steam) provided my experience with the GfWL-infested Arkham Asylum flows smoothly (I'll do my best to use my online profile with it so as to receive the complete GfWL experience).

Top Bottom