• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
People start doing strange things once they become afraid for their own money. :p I'll be voting for Steam too of course, thanks for the heads up.

GHG

Voted for Steam.

I honestly think that some people are trolling with some of the options that have been voted for.

People be crazy I guess...

TJP

Lol, everyone hates DRM until the lost revenue comes out of their own pockets. Never change. (not aimed at anyone here, just in general).
So very true. I've read many times members placing their ROI ahead of logic on the pCARS forums.

I voted for Steam too but expect SMS and the highest investors to do whatever they like.

Arucardo

As long as there's a way to keep illegal/pirated copies of the game away from online play I'll be happy. Not that I hate the idea of letting them play but in most cases those people are not very good at racing or are there to just grief everyone else.

I've also been thinking about the new Counter-Strike:GO Overwatch system (community based curation for hacking, griefing, etc) that could be adapted to pCARS. Basically if the game has account based multiplayer they could let people vote on punishments for griefers. There's already some people in the alpha griefing public races, stuff like parking you car sideways after a crest or ramming anyone trying to pass you.

markao

As long as there's a way to keep illegal/pirated copies of the game away from online play I'll be happy. Not that I hate the idea of letting them play but in most cases those people are not very good at racing or are there to just grief everyone else.
Agree, same for me. Steam alone is not good enough, as it will allow all the pirates to ruin MP racing. So Steam + an additional verification for everything that already requires an internet connection (SMS verification server), MP/Coop/up-download files/etc., would be the best solution.

Blizzard

Banned
Pirates ruining multiplayer races aren't the problem, since even legitimate people who purchased the beta are able to do that, which is why presumably they've had the good/bad drivers threads and why they've introduced private lobbies.

People playing in privately arranged events is the safe way to do it, with possibly some sort of license rating down the road, though I rather imagine that if your license ever got bad and you got moved to say, the GRIEFER ZONE by false positives, no one would ever want to race with you so I don't know if you'd ever be able to move back.

Point is, some additional control rather than mere DRM is needed. The same problem has existed for ages on multiplayer shooter servers, and the best answer tends to be private servers or admins banning cheaters/griefers -- I suppose the license thing mostly comes up because griefing has more severe results in a high-speed race.

sueil

For some reason Direct X 11 mode won't work for me. It crashes when it goes to load a track. Just got a new video card (780) so might be doing it. DX9 mode works fine. Guess I need to dig around the WMD forums to see if anyone else has a problem.

For some reason Direct X 11 mode won't work for me. It crashes when it goes to load a track. Just got a new video card (780) so might be doing it. DX9 mode works fine. Guess I need to dig around the WMD forums to see if anyone else has a problem.

For me it minimizes on launch and wont e open.

markao

There are I think 3 tracks in this build that cause issues with DX11 that work in DX 9 (Nordschleife and I think test track ans Suzuka). If it is not related to these two, delete your pCars folder, with the graphics settings files in it, in your "documents" folder.

For me it minimizes on launch and wont e open.
Spam your "ALT-TAB" keys, if indeed you do use Logitech products (wheel/mouse/etc.) and running (starting) the Logitech Profiler before launching the game does not help.

@Blizzard, I do not disagree that there will always be people doing silly stuff online, but previous racing sims have shown that if people can create account after account, it will be far worse (SB on Steam for example). As a user you need to connect to the SMS lobby (server) anyway, so there is no downside to using this opportunity to verify if someone has a legit version of the game or not. (same for other SP functions, ghosts/leaderboards/coop/etc.).

There are I think 3 tracks in this build that cause issues with DX11 that work in DX 9 (Nordschleife and I think test track ans Suzuka). If it is not related to these two, delete your pCars folder, with the graphics settings files in it, in your "documents" folder.

Spam your "ALT-TAB" keys, if indeed you do use Logitech products (wheel/mouse/etc.) and running (starting) the Logitech Profiler before launching the game does not help.

It does for me. The game minimizes because the agent is launched causing the game to lose focus. If the agent is already running it's isn't launched again and it doesn't exit the game.

*edit* Nm, misread what you meant.

Jedi2016

There are I think 3 tracks in this build that cause issues with DX11 that work in DX 9 (Nordschleife and I think test track ans Suzuka).
Ah, that would explain the crash I had last night when I tried to play Suzuka. I had been to several other tracks before then and it was working fine. Good to know.

Sethos

Banned
People start doing strange things once they become afraid for their own money. :p I'll be voting for Steam too of course, thanks for the heads up.

People are in this for the money? I had forgot the fact that I might see a return if this thing succeeds.

Oh and I voted Steam because I don't want retail discs, odd installers I need to keep track of or all that annoying crap.

People are in this for the money? I had forgot the fact that I might see a return if this thing succeeds.

Oh and I voted Steam because I don't want retail discs, odd installers I need to keep track of or all that annoying crap.

There are many people in it with four digits, and several with five.

Zeth

I want to play this so much. Might there be some kind of additional wave of sponsorship or a beta type release? Might have to wait for retail, I guess.

Sethos

Banned
I think we've got a couple people here in it with a grand+. Not going to call them out though.

And we've got a lot more with much less in it and I'll bet you a lot of people aren't in this for the money. I personally just see it as a Kickstarter with my £100 and anything else is just a cherry on top. So saying everybody who votes Steam are very concerned about their money etc. is just pushing it a bit, in my opinion.

I want to play this so much. Might there be some kind of additional wave of sponsorship or a beta type release? Might have to wait for retail, I guess.

There's going to be a new round of funding for nextgen consoles (separate from the current deal) that may or may not include PC access. I'm sure you'll hear about it when it goes down.

And we've got a lot more with much less in it and I'll bet you a lot of people aren't in this for the money. I personally just see it as a Kickstarter with my £100 and anything else is just a cherry on top. So saying everybody who votes Steam are very concerned about their money etc. is just pushing it a bit, in my opinion.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say most people are concerned with the money. Steam is a very reasonable choice, however there are plenty of people who've voted for more extreme measures, and you've got to wonder where their motivation comes from.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't say most people are concerned with the money. Steam is a very reasonable choice, however there are plenty of people who've voted for more extreme measures, and you've got to wonder where their motivation comes from.
That's not what I meant. Steam is the most reasonable and popular choice. I meant that voting for more extreme measures like always online or some of the other voting options might be silly.

That's not what I meant. Steam is the most reasonable and popular choice. I meant that voting for more extreme measures like always online or some of the other voting options might be silly.

We're not saying the same thing? Unless you're calling those people silly, and I'm doubting their motivations. I mean the vast majority voted for something I'd call reasonable, but more people voted for securom than no DRM at all. Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just jokers messing around.

p3tran

Banned
hey guys! you gone crazy or what?? :D just vote NO DRM!!
you want this game to be a big success, right?
then let as many people possible play it. more will buy it this way, as long as it is good.

hey guys! you gone crazy or what?? :D just vote NO DRM!!
you want this game to be a big success, right?
then let as many people possible play it. more will buy it this way, as long as it is good.

Sure about that? Being on Steam generates a lot of publicity.

p3tran

Banned
Sure about that? Being on Steam generates a lot of publicity.

first of all, I did not get in time to participate like you guys, therefore I can only know what you guys post here.
so, I thought this was for you to vote for anti-piracy method. thats why I said no drm at all.
I dont know what your options are regarding publicity, advertizing, distribution etc.

Arucardo

first of all, I did not get in time to participate like you guys, therefore I can only know what you guys post here.
so, I thought this was for you to vote for anti-piracy method. thats why I said no drm at all.
I dont know what your options are regarding publicity, advertizing, distribution etc.

Steam itself is a form of DRM though...

markao

Ian has a question for you all: pCARS platforms.

Ian Bell said:
I think we should stop work on PS3 and Xbox 360 and use those resources to make a start on the PS4 and Xbox One.

We'd continue with WiiU and of course PC.

Thoughts?

....more info on forum

As PC gamer only I'm for dumping old gen and DX9 while we are at it, but I can see why someone else (other than Amar ;) ) might see it differently. If so, make sure you get your voice heard on the WMD forum.

TJP

Ian Bell was adamant there was a lot of money to be made at the end of the console life cycle...although the other SMS employees make valid arguments for switching to PS4 and Xbox One.

Hopefully the poll Ian mentioned will be posted soon. Sorry Jamesways, I voted to end current gen development.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i would hope they havent spent a lot of resources on the current gen games if they are scrapping them in favor of next gen...

with that said, i think they could make a splash if they release a quality product early in a new consoles life. also, i'd sure as hell buy this for whichever next gen system i purchase

Ian has a question for you all: pCARS platforms.

As PC gamer only I'm for dumping old gen and DX9 while we are at it, but I can see why someone else (other than Amar ;) ) might see it differently. If so, make sure you get your voice heard on the WMD forum.

I think GT6 will soak up all current gen racing dollars from the market. Next gen seems to make more sense. There will be an opportunity to make a splash because there's always a post-launch void where there's a lot of hunger for games.

Financially? It's almost impossible to comment really. A big publisher willing to spend some advertising dollars could have milked some money from the legacy consoles, but it appears now that no such deal was ever in place. I don't know what to make of that really.

The 35% split, I don't know. I'm not in it beyond the cost of a copy, so I'm not sweating those terms. I'm sure there will be further analysis of that.

LeBoef

ok... this is too much
078.jpg

what the fuck is wrong with me? why didnt i know of that...
i am going nuts over this missed oppurtinity.

how is their forum? is it going well and is it effective?

amar212

As PC gamer only I'm for dumping old gen and DX9 while we are at it, but I can see why someone else (other than Amar ;) ) might see it differently.

I will certainly have an elaborate on this bit later. Thank you for the insight Markao.

On the other hand, later today I will post a big Interview I made with Ian Bell, Andy Garton and Ivo Franic from Slightly Mad Studios for May issue of Croatian Reboot Magazine.

We covered a huge, 12-pages special about pCARS and thanks to Ivo we got a chance to talk with Ian and Andy about various details of pCARS project.

I will be posting the interview in full - the published print-edition was shortened - and I hope you will find it interesting.

Original of the interview will also be exclusively published online today on my GTSurgeons.com community, but I will also post it here because I am not dying for traffic and some of my members (I am looking at you Three60) would probably just C/P it here - so I will save them the hussle ;)

Regs.

Top Bottom