• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

fresquito

ill just wait and see what they can accomplish. i hope they really push the console.
They won't. First WiiU game by them, being a port and in early life cycle on the console? Good luck with the "pushing the machine". It doesnt mean it won't be one of the WiiU stunners (since there's not much else to choose from).

markao

They won't. First WiiU game by them, being a port and in early life cycle on the console? Good luck with the "pushing the machine". It doesnt mean it won't be one of the WiiU stunners (since there's not much else to choose from).
Martin G. worked on porting the last NFS game to the WiiU, so they have some experience with getting a rendering engine running on it, but other wise agree.

GAH! Next time I should just fall in line. Here, forgive me:
That's better ;)

I just came from reading up on the WMD forum and to me it is still mind boggling that some people after over a year of development still do not get it. Guy even adds the words " immediate future" to the post and still people start complaining about the stuff that is missing, just amazing.

fresquito

So I'm coming back to the game little by little. It's been so long since I last played that everything feels fresh to me. Today I've tried the BMW M3 E30 Group A for the first time and, wow, such a nice car to drive. Old Spa looks fantasstic and some time settings are, like photorelistic (driving old Spa, 8am, Clear 2 to Foggy is something else). I've tried the new AI and, well, it's better than it used to be, but still placeholder.

I've never gone into online; there're not that many games and ones I've checked I'd find combos that I didn't know, and couldn't get my self to play them for the first time online. All in all, it's been a sweet comeback.

BTW, Ford Focus RS is such a tricky car to drive.

Pepto

Banned
Finally found the "photomode" and spent few mins driving around like this:

cars1.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Finally found the "photomode" and spent few mins driving around like this:

cars1.jpg
That's the funny thing, "photo" settings like crazy depth of field can be used during normal racing if I recall correctly. I'm not aware of any purely static screen enhancement options.

Ryökäle

Neo Member
If someone wants to do some fun league/championship racing, I will be hosting and organizing a new league starting sometime during May. It's not meant to be that serious, I'm hosting it just to have some good and fair races. Anyway I even made a banner to get people's attention!

So if you're interested just head to the championship's Steam group page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pCARSBMWGT

You can find all the information about the championship there and also sign up for it through the group's forum/discussion, but can also take sign ups through here. Though I think won't be able to update the sign ups to Steam until Sunday when I get back to my computer.

Arucardo

I remember when you guys were all "oh yeah this is coming to PS3 and 360, pfffssshh".

Mmhm.

What do you mean? as in not happening?

Maybe I just understood wrong but it's def. coming to those two platforms, there's changes listed to console versions (I don't actually remember if there have been 360 specific notes but there's def. some ps3 stuff every now and then) in the build release notes.

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like the most recent build started adding a -vr option for use with the Oculus Rift. I look forward to seeing how this development progresses. :D

TheD

The Detective
Why the hell can I no go into the behind the car view?
I do not have the menu option to force in car view turned on.

DieH@rd

Banned
New build is out [v467], with few Oculus Rift additions:

* add OculusRiftSDK 0.2.1
* add -vr command-line option. (inform the renderer to use the Oculus SDK and the headset display if it is available)
(the app plumbing so i can test the Oculus Rift stuff, while keeping the non VR rendering the same as before)
* Add helper IsDisplayDeviceOculusRift() method to DX9/DX11 renderers
* Oculus Rift Distortion with Chromatic Aberration shader implemented.

:D

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing if there are hardware or software options for keeping a locked 60 fps. I know I need an upgrade, but reliable 60 fps seems pretty much mandatory for VR.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing if there are hardware or software options for keeping a locked 60 fps. I know I need an upgrade, but reliable 60 fps seems pretty much mandatory for VR.

Cymatic Bruce talked about that, for him anything 45+ is enough.

Arucardo

Ryökäle;57140130 said:
If someone wants to do some fun league/championship racing, I will be hosting and organizing a new league starting sometime during May. It's not meant to be that serious, I'm hosting it just to have some good and fair races. Anyway I even made a banner to get people's attention!

So if you're interested just head to the championship's Steam group page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pCARSBMWGT

You can find all the information about the championship there and also sign up for it through the group's forum/discussion, but can also take sign ups through here. Though I think won't be able to update the sign ups to Steam until Sunday when I get back to my computer.

Oh snap, the M3 is a real pleasure to drive. Really looking forward to this league and I hope we get a full roster for this one.

Don't be afraid to join even if you think you're not the fastest man on earth, from the guys we have on board so far there's a pretty good range of skill and it's not super serious.

You can find some FFB tweaker files on the WMD forums that for me at least made the M3 feel so much better, added a lot more weight to the steering too (I tend to prefer heavy-ish steering).

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah its a great car. Anyoone has some suggestions for "general setup" that will make it little faster. Is the default setup ok?

I'd really like if someone here could make a screenshot of PCARS at low/med settings at 720p. I'm curious to what to expect from a WiiU version. Preferably gameplay shots.

Arucardo

Yeah its a great car. Anyoone has some suggestions for "general setup" that will make it little faster. Is the default setup ok?

0 or 1 downforce at front and 1 or 2 at back is a good start. It doesn't upset the car at all really. Haven't driven enough to know what else needs adjusting.

Also, be sure to change the tyre compound to GT slick - Green from the setup -> global

* add -vr command-line option. (inform the renderer to use the Oculus SDK and the headset display if it is available)
(the app plumbing so i can test the Oculus Rift stuff, while keeping the non VR rendering the same as before)

Because there's nothing that says 'VR' better than chromatic aberration. :/

BraXzy

Anyone with an occulus rift care to give us some feedback on what this is like? :D

saladine1

They added new Zonda R sounds too. Give a listen to this, Sal.

http://youtu.be/izkJy4o0g1U

Holy shit, listen to that fucking thing!
Absolutely brutal.

There are differing effects throughout the entire RPM sweep. The exterior and interior are distinct. The reverb and doppler are excellent.
Also love the shifting effects.

Are these the new audio improvements they were talking about in the updates notes?
Great job SMS!

markao

They added new Zonda R sounds too. Give a listen to this, Sal.

http://youtu.be/izkJy4o0g1U
I wanted to ask someone for a video, as I'm down and out (fever) on the cough, so thanks BT. It sounds a lot better throughout the entire range, nice!

Saw short notice in AJ's thread on the first introduction of the tyre temperature modelling, is this available for all cars, or at all? Also amazed at how complex things have gotten since the first time I followed it in a sim a little in the old GPL days.

The rest of heat modeling got turned on last night, although it is not completely hooked up yet, and what is hooked up is only in the Dirt B tire. It is completely not calibrated at all, so it is not really even suitable for a taste. All it is good for at the moment is to make sure it is hooked up: that behavior changes, that the HUD shows changing temps, etc.

The gist of the model is that the road flashes temperature into the contact patch (flash heating). That heat diffuses into the bulk rubber of the tread. The tread heat transfers with the ambient air and the carcass. The carcass interacts with the internal air. The internal air interacts with the rim. The rim interacts with the well air (air 'inside' the rim well). The rim air interacts with both the ambient air and the brakes. There is also evaporation cooling in the wet.

Depending on the resolution of the contact patch and the tread, each of those has many "heat reservoirs", one per seta in the patch and one per tread element in the whole tread. Right now most tires have 36 of each. Beyond that there is also one reservoir for each of: internal tire air, rim, well air, and carcass. FlexiCarcass may have more than one. ElementCarcass will have more than one. From the tire model point of view, the road temp, ambient temp, and brake temp are just numbers fed to the model each time step.

Bottom line, most current tires will have 76 reservoirs.

saladine1

I wanted to ask someone for a video, as I'm down and out (fever) on the cough, so thanks BT. It sounds a lot better throughout the entire range, nice!

Saw short notice in AJ's thread on the first introduction of the tyre temperature modelling, is this available for all cars, or at all? Also amazed at how complex things have gotten since the first time I followed it in a sim a little in the old GPL days.

Yep. We have certainly come a long way.

I certainly hope that no version of the game is gimped and all are treated equal..

It really is amazing. There's so much work being put into tire simulation across every sim these days. It's been fun watching the pCARS guys chip away at it.

Man the Zondas new engine sound is incredible i nearly blew my wad. 2 complants...
1. its a bit off at low revs
2. need to get the engine start sounds in.

Angst

I decided to update from 249 to the most recent junior build... And of course the official servers are offline so I have to do it all manually D: PC Gaming TM. I'm excited to get to try it out though, so hopefully it's worth it :)

Of course it's my own damn fault as I haven't updated the game since last summer.

Shaneus

New 'Overlay Effect' video and helmet cam effect of Project CARS build 469, it's a race in Indianapolis Motor Speedway with the NASCAR cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFoSWYolqA

And comparison race between Project CARS build 475 and the real life, both with the Caterham 7 in the historic English circuit of Donington Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4C3BSIAS4

I hope you like it. ;)
Didn't reply to this earlier, but I meant to. That latter video is fantastic... thanks for the effort!

TheD

The Detective
Some real dickheads on the CARS forum, yeah Diablo 3's DRM that broke the fucking game for months is a real fucking good idea.......

Lol, everyone hates DRM until the lost revenue comes out of their own pockets. Never change. (not aimed at anyone here, just in general).

I voted Steam.

Top Bottom