• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

DieH@rd

Banned
I deleted my profile when I installed last patch, but the current default gearing with all cars that I tried is very off [im slower than weak AI cars], and if I tweak any gear, entire car goes mad [FA uses gear 1 to get to 240km/h :D ].

I tried manually deleting my profile, and reinstalling last patch. It did not help.

Any suggestion?

Arucardo

I deleted my profile when I installed last patch, but the current default gearing with all cars that I tried is very off [im slower than weak AI cars], and if I tweak any gear, entire car goes mad [FA uses gear 1 to get to 240km/h :D ].

I tried manually deleting my profile, and reinstalling last patch. It did not help.

Any suggestion?

I replied in the league thread and Casey (Vehicle Lead) elaborated on it some more:

Me:
Going by the video that's not a bug. The gear ratios are displayed relative to each other now (like in most sims), you just made 1-4th gear basically the same.

Casey:
^What Arucardo said. The only rule we apply to the gearing now is that the lower gears can't have a taller ratio than higher gears. It doesn't preclude setting equal ratios for several gears. Not a 100% perfect solution, but we'll refine it later. Important thing for now was to give everyone more range for adjusting the cars which should have it.

I got a little confused by this too when they changed it last week but then I remembered how it's in rF and other sims.

Hi guys, I leave you a new 'overlay effect' video, is and effect where I put my hands with the racing gloves above the image of Project CARS build 499. In the video I give a lap in Azure Coast Stage 3, with the BMW M3 E30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVdr9tNDBQ

;)

Love those overlay videos. I hope sim racing looks like that one day. Rift + forward facing camera with green screen overlay. That's Holy Grail type stuff.

TJP

Is there any way to buy the Game again?

It seems the monthly-thing is not available on their website anymore.
No, those who didn't buy a tool pack prior to the funding cut-off aren't able to be a part of the beta testing. There were posts on the WMD forum to reopen memberships but that hasn't happened and probably won't. You'll have to wait for the retail release.

Megasoum

Banned
Haven't had chance to play in a while. Did they end up re-adding back the full FFB effects? The last time I played it was finally playable with a fanatec wheel (it wasn't really playable for a while) but they had disabled most of the FFB effects so you had zero feedback from the car.

markao

No, those who didn't buy a tool pack prior to the funding cut-off aren't able to be a part of the beta testing. There were posts on the WMD forum to reopen memberships but that hasn't happened and probably won't. You'll have to wait for the retail release.
There is no more funding allowed by the FSA for the current project, but there will (probably) be a Next Gen (PS4/XB1) one, with PC testing, once the new rules have been created according to the FSA ruling (investment/shares).

so the answer should be yes, when opened up for the PS4/XB1 funding.

Haven't had chance to play in a while. Did they end up re-adding back the full FFB effects? The last time I played it was finally playable with a fanatec wheel (it wasn't really playable for a while) but they had disabled most of the FFB effects so you had zero feedback from the car.
There always have been FFB and I always have been able to tell what the car (tire grip) was doing (feedback). You still have to tweak each car, as some cars have to strong forces (clipping) and others are to weak, balancing will come when tire-model is fully done.

Unless you are referring to the more canned effects, like curb/engine rumble, as those are still disabled by default (enable in F1 menu possible?, not sure).

Arucardo

Also, if you're not happy with the FFB there's a bunch of people posting their FFB tweaks on the forum that can improve all kinds of stuff, road feel, understeer, etc.

PriitV

Stepan Vondrak said:
pCARS is not available at Steam yet. Today we should have first private testing build on Steam and if all goes well we will have public builds available soon(tm).

We will keep using our downloader+patcher in parallel with Steam for at least few weeks, and once any potential issues are resolved we'll switch to Steam-based distribution only. Then we'll replace the forum-based authentication to Steam-based authentication. Everything is ready for these steps but so far it's been tested only by me locally :)
SMSooooon.

I was going to pull the trigger on a pack days before they closed the registrations but ended up dilly-dallying. Have tried to not think about it...

I want to play this so bad.

markao

SMSooooon.

SMSsoooonnner ;)

teasepls5c.jpg

Never had issues uploading, probably good connection to their server, or issues updating, but for those that had, good it is coming. Also wondering if this means we will see "next gen funding" starting soon and also if it will be released on "Steam Early Access", to find additional funding to finish/release on next Gen.

Lovely, markao.

I wonder how much Steam integration (community hub, news, etc) you get when still in development, and not actually on Steam yet. Maybe you're right, maybe next gen will go live at the same time existing users get Steamworks builds.

Next gen funding with early Steam access is going to generate a ton of interest. Much more than we've seen up until this point, imo.

markao

Lovely, markao.

I wonder how much Steam integration (community hub, news, etc) you get when still in development, and not actually on Steam yet. Maybe you're right, maybe next gen will go live at the same time existing users get Steamworks builds.

Next gen funding with early Steam access is going to generate a ton of interest. Much more than we've seen up until this point, imo.
I hope they will wait a little, get game in to a more "content finished" / beta, or however SMS call this, before going to "early access". There is a lot that is not working yet (SP career mode) and I do not know if people understand the WIP state of a game (modes/performance) enough to not create a negative vibe.

Other games I tested in Steam beta do/did not use any of the community hubs, but were not "steamworks" titles. How much can you share when you are still in alpha/beta?

I hope they will wait a little, get game in to a more "content finished" / beta, or however SMS call this, before going to "early access". There is a lot that is not working yet (SP career mode) and I do not know if people understand the WIP state of a game (modes/performance) enough to not create a negative vibe.

Other games I tested in Steam beta do/did not use any of the community hubs, but were not "steamworks" titles. How much can you share when you are still in alpha/beta?

For sure. Exposing people to really rough stuff was a necessary evil during the original funding, but the next gen round doesn't need to go down that same road. Like you said, it's probably best to wait for the feature complete beta.

markao

For sure. Exposing people to really rough stuff was a necessary evil during the original funding, but the next gen round doesn't need to go down that same road. Like you said, it's probably best to wait for the feature complete beta.
I don't know at what state (days/months before release) other games are added to "early access", so maybe it will be ok to add it 9/12 months before release, we will see.

I had a go with the new flash thread tire on the Capri at Eifelwald early morning, yes little to dark, specially after I turned down lights (and therefore also in cockpit). Do like the way the cars are coming a little more a live on these tires, specially under heavy braking.

Single lap, early morning, 7.01, youtube.

saladine1

Is the gearbox flex integrated in the physics or is it just a sound effect?

I am loving the fact that more and more games are using this effect in their gearbox shifts. It just adds so much more realism. I fucking loathe the rigid shifts that most games use including so called sims..

I'm absolutely livid I didn't get into this. I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely loved SHIFT. Yes, the handling problems sucked but once dialed in, there was some great fun to be had.
Anyway, when is the public getting their hands on the beta?

markao

Is the gearbox flex integrated in the physics or is it just a sound effect?

I am loving the fact that more and more games are using this effect in their gearbox shifts. It just adds so much more realism. I fucking loathe the rigid shifts that most games use including so called sims..

I'm absolutely livid I didn't get into this. I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely loved SHIFT. Yes, the handling problems sucked but once dialed in, there was some great fun to be had.
Anyway, when is the public getting their hands on the beta?
I know for sure that the sound effect is physics based (triggered). But they recently implemented a new "volumetric throttle system" and I'm not sure how/what the throttle/driveshaft/gearing/etc. is/does in their physics engine at the moment. (hope that makes sense ;) )

saladine1

I know for sure that the sound effect is physics based (triggered). But they recently implemented a new "volumetric throttle system" and I'm not sure how/what the throttle/driveshaft/gearing/etc. is/does in their physics engine at the moment. (hope that makes sense ;) )

That's great to hear!

Please keep us (me) posted on when anything new surfaces regarding sounds.

markao

And one non sound related post for today ;)

Steamworks builds now available

Hi everyone.

Let me start with a big warning: Anyone is able to download the published Steam build, but only Senior Managers will be able to play it. Please wait until the usual Friday afternoon (July 5th 2013) when a Junior build playable by everyone will be published.

You can find your Steam key in your Basic Profile, look for "Steam Key (PCARS), more Information on how, in the link above.

Zeth

I would gladly pay such a large amount of money to play this in any state. From my understanding there are no immediate plans for another round of members/funding?

edit: sorry, I realize a lot of people feel the same way, reading through thread

I would gladly pay such a large amount of money to play this in any state. From my understanding there are no immediate plans for another round of members/funding?

edit: sorry, I realize a lot of people feel the same way, reading through thread

There will be new funding for the PS4/XO versions that will include PC access to builds. We just don't know when.

TJP

Downloading CARS via Steam now 8) It's a 5.3 GB download for those interested. SMS are so quick in getting things out after they announce them.

Megasoum

Banned
Downloading CARS via Steam now 8) It's a 5.3 GB download for those interested. SMS are so quick in getting things out after they announce them.

I've look on the forums but haven't found anything specific. Have they said how it will work for the different splits? I can see that they have weekly, bi-weekly and daily beta branches so I assume they will use that but I'm curious on how it will work exactly.

Megasoum

Banned

Ahhhh right so everybody has access to all the branches but if you choose a branch you don't have access to normally then you won't be able to play the game and will have to re-download the whole thing... This make a lot of sense...good good.

I work with Steam beta branches everyday but for us it always need to be super secured with password and stuff so I didn't even think about the most simple solution lol.

Shaneus

Oh sweet, I haven't played pCARS for a while, but that it's accessible now via Steam is a great, great thing. I tend to neglect games that aren't. Makes updates super easy, too.

Blizzard

Banned
I will definitely install this on Steam once I get my new PC up and running. I may cry if I still can't get 60 fps with a 770 and 5870k. ;_;

Watevaman

So there's no file overlap between the two versions (old client and Steam) is there? I noticed I had to drag over my custom liveries, but other than that it's safe to uninstall the old version?

Megasoum

Banned
So there's no file overlap between the two versions (old client and Steam) is there? I noticed I had to drag over my custom liveries, but other than that it's safe to uninstall the old version?

It's probably even better to uninstall the old version first.

They said to delete your profile manually too since Steam doesn't have an option to delete it for you.

markao

No need to remove the old version, they can coexist (at least for now) and will use the same "profile" in your documents folder. As Megasoum mentioned, always better to delete your old profile.

And JonZ created a new trailer, he is getting good at it !

No need to remove the old version, they can coexist (at least for now) and will use the same "profile" in your documents folder. As Megasoum mentioned, always better to delete your old profile.

And JonZ created a new trailer, he is getting good at it !

Excellent trailer, can not wait. Probably will get Wii U version.

Top Bottom