• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Here's some of my screenshots along with a community gallery I made of what I consider some of the best shots.

My shots: http://imgur.com/a/WRqDx
Community Shots: http://imgur.com/a/ULQeq

High Quality Flickr shots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15539352@N02/sets/72157627926694442/

m9R6KFU.jpg

Jesus oO

markao

Yum.

Does this game have F1 license or is that exclusive to Codemasters? GP2, GP3?
No official licensed one as mentioned, but career will have besides Formula A, 4 more formula classes. From the pic in Metalmurphy's post (Formula Rookie), to Formula Gulf, yo a Formula 3 like car (Formula C) and one power/weight wise in between the F3 and the FA (the Formula B).

There also will be some historic Lotus Formula 1 cars.

Blizzard

Banned
At long last with the 4.2 GHz Intel i5 3570k and 2GB GTX 770, I can rur PCARS at 60 fps. That's great.

But I promptly discovered if I went to a map with reflections and light rain, it goes back to 27-40 fps. Oh well, maybe there are settings I can adjust, or things will get optimized further. :p Any tips on rain? The wet road looks nice but that's a huge performance hit for me.

Business

The road surface in GT6, why the hell is it so clean. Looks too new.

I think GT6 road surface looks more realistic to be honest. Circuits don't have such a black lane on the driving line and the skid mark galore that there's on the pCARS video.

Most skidmarks are actually there on the GT version as well, but the contrast is just lower. Also, the reflections on the track surface are much more toned down on GT, and only happen in small areas, which is more realistic imho.

Overall, PS3 holds up really well. Of course, PC hardware abstraction and difference in budgets are a huge factor, and I've still added my 10 euros a while ago because I think Project Cars is a great and promising project.

Business

Most skidmarks are actually there on the GT version as well, but the contrast is just lower. Also, the reflections on the track surface are much more toned down on GT, and only happen in small areas, which is more realistic imho.

I disagree, GT has a reasonable and more realistic amount. CARS has just way too much rubber on track, much more than GT and much more than a real circuit. It's not that it really bothers me, they probably think it looks more spectacular or helps with sense of speed or by actually showing the player the ideal line and these are fair choices, but if we talk realism, that's not how tarmac looks on a circuit.

DieH@rd

Banned
I saw this:

here.

Anyone cares to share what is this about (for the non-members)?

Backers get regular updates of the game, and patchnotes have recently been filled with WiiU notes. Game is still not bootable on the WiiU, but they are close to it. Release of the game on that system however... that's not close.

Code base is ported, and the renderer is implemented to the point where it should work, in theory, and then they'll sort out the bugs.

Confirms my suspicions they never had a Wii U version before, so to that guy I argued before about it, eat crow.

:p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Backers get regular updates of the game, and patchnotes have recently been filled with WiiU notes. Game is still not bootable on the WiiU, but they are close to it. Release of the game on that system however... that's not close.

Code base is ported, and the renderer is implemented to the point where it should work, in theory, and then they'll sort out the bugs.

Thanks, guys!

TJP

Got to love Steam intergration! 816 MB download for the following: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?15345-Build-519-(18-7-13-Team-Member-)

Build 519 has just be released and it contains two important changes related to Steam issues:

The game initializes the Steamworks library before the renderer. This is when Steam hooks its overlay and other stuff in the game when you run pCARS.exe directly, and it might or might not change the behavior when the game is launched from Steam as well. (this has been added earlier this week, but this is the first Team Member+ release containing the change) We fixed several threading issues in the DirectInput handler

These changes could fix several startup issues. On the other hand they might also break the "launch pCARS.exe directly" workaround. Everyone with black screen issues please test the new build and report how it behaves for you now.

Lots of WiiU mentions in the patch notes 8)

Blizzard

Banned
Got to love Steam intergration! 816 MB download for the following: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?15345-Build-519-(18-7-13-Team-Member-)

Build 519 has just be released and it contains two important changes related to Steam issues:

The game initializes the Steamworks library before the renderer. This is when Steam hooks its overlay and other stuff in the game when you run pCARS.exe directly, and it might or might not change the behavior when the game is launched from Steam as well. (this has been added earlier this week, but this is the first Team Member+ release containing the change) We fixed several threading issues in the DirectInput handler

These changes could fix several startup issues. On the other hand they might also break the "launch pCARS.exe directly" workaround. Everyone with black screen issues please test the new build and report how it behaves for you now.

Lots of WiiU mentions in the patch notes 8)
Someone in the PCARS Steam chat was just asking about a black screen startup problem last weekend, so hopefully this fixes it. I'm also hoping to see fewer crashes. I was getting some crashes doing things like sitting in a multiplayer lobby, or changing my car in a multiplayer lobby, and hardly any seemed to even produce debug logs, unfortunately.

MJLord

Hi guys, would I be laughed at for asking if this supports the xbox controller? I don't have the money to front for a steering wheel :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Hi guys, would I be laughed at for asking if this supports the xbox controller? I don't have the money to front for a steering wheel :(

Game fully support xbox controller [and many are playing the game with it]. There is also a lot of options for drive assists.

MJLord

Game fully support xbox controller [and many are playing the game with it]. There is also a lot of options for drive assists.

This is great to hear. I love my racers on the xbox but I think its time I graduated to something a little more serious. Sick of ramming pubs.

MJLord

Sorry for the double post. I just went around Silverstone in the closest thing to an F1 car I could find. Oh My God. Nailing the first corner in full throttle is terrifying. The slightest thing sends me spinning, any help gaf?

Sorry for the double post. I just went around Silverstone in the closest thing to an F1 car I could find. Oh My God. Nailing the first corner in full throttle is terrifying. The slightest thing sends me spinning, any help gaf?

Reach for those driver aids if you need them.

markao

If you are talking about the Formula A, check the engine braking setting in the set-up menu (global). I think default set-up it is still at zero and should be at max(6?) as a starting point. While you are in that menu also up decelaration lock (differential), higher less nervous rear but slightly harder to turn in.

And nice to see some more LMP (2) coming to pCARS with the ORECA deal

2013_oreca_lmp2_c2a9dstjoa.jpg

[edit] just when I typ this there is an official post by Rob, added picture and news to OP

Blizzard

Banned
If you are talking about the Formula A, check the engine braking setting in the set-up menu (global). I think default set-up it is still at zero and should be at max(6?) as a starting point. While you are in that menu also up decelaration lock (differential), higher less nervous rear but slightly harder to turn in.

And nice to see some more LMP (2) coming to pCARS with the ORECA deal

2013_oreca_lmp2_c2a9dstjoa.jpg

[edit] just when I typ this there is an official post by Rob, added picture and news to OP
For the Formula A I think I saw someone else recommending changing the braking setting to 6 as well, so I'll second this. I think the Formula A is one of the cars getting the most attention and tuning at the moment, so it should be pretty fun to drive. :)

This is great to hear. I love my racers on the xbox but I think its time I graduated to something a little more serious. Sick of ramming pubs.
I don't think you can buy an account right now though, maybe until they open sales on Steam.

Also, I have a manager account yet I still play with the XBox controller (and no driving assists, manual transmission), so don't feel bad. =P I definitely recommend turning gamepad filtering off though, to make things lower latency and more responsive.

MJLord

For the Formula A I think I saw someone else recommending changing the braking setting to 6 as well, so I'll second this. I think the Formula A is one of the cars getting the most attention and tuning at the moment, so it should be pretty fun to drive. :)

I don't think you can buy an account right now though, maybe until they open sales on Steam.

Also, I have a manager account yet I still play with the XBox controller (and no driving assists, manual transmission), so don't feel bad. =P I definitely recommend turning gamepad filtering off though, to make things lower latency and more responsive.

I bought a Junior account back in October so I have an account. It's a shame though I was thinking I might upgrade xD

Neo 007

Yep..I have a Junior account and play with a 360 Controller...feels quite good with Filtering turned off.

Awesome with G25 but can't be bothered setting it up everytime.

TJP

Steam downloading a rather large update of 1.4 GB! I got excited only to discover: "Unfortunately Steam's patching system isn't as efficient as ours was/is (40mb patch in comparison) thus resulting in a large patch. We are looking now trying to find exact causes and see if we can improve the situation. For now will have to suffer 1.8gb update, sorry. hurts me here too, I have to download to test every time on relatively slow DSL" - Viktor Kolomiets

TJP

I agree that SMS will get the patching issue sorted. Someone cheekily posted about a laser scanned track being the reason the download was huge and that's what got me excited.

DieH@rd

Banned
Where can I see what version of the game I have? I kinda miss manual patch downloading. It made me curious to go to the forums and see what new stuff was introduced with them...

Lettuce

is there anyway i can still get into this game in beat form??

Was it only a timed access to the build a few years back, as i can no longer access the forum or client build :(

Top Bottom