• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

patchday

Finally got a chance to play this game for a bit last night and had some great fun. It's come a long way since I last played it a few months ago. Really digging the Steam interface. They've added lots of cars too. Physics feels very, very solid. Need to try racing against other cars now (was hotlapping last night).

patchday

I'm sure Forza 5 will be good but just by virtue of this game being on PC it will enjoy lots of advantages over it. Such as, being able to use any racing wheel. Have they confirmed what steering wheels you can use with the Xbone? So far, all I know of is the new Thrustmaster wheel.

Besides, I wouldn't agree that Forza 5 looks better. pCars has always look straight up photorealistic. It looks absolutely superb on a powerful PC

paskowitz

Out of curiosity, what kind of PC specs would I need to run ~30 cars on track, high-max settings, mid-high AA, 1920x1080 at a reasonably stable 60fps?

Blizzard

Banned
Out of curiosity, what kind of PC specs would I need to run ~30 cars on track, high-max settings, mid-high AA, 1920x1080 at a reasonably stable 60fps?
I'm not sure if that's possible if you play on tracks with reflections/rain. Having 30 cars might also push it towards very difficult territory.

I have a GTX 770 and a 4.2 GHz overclocked 3570k, with 8GB of memory. That processor and GPU can do 1680x1050@60 fps for some AA modes, but once any sort of rain/wet track comes in, you might be lucky to get 40-50 fps. I think the starting area of Belgian Forest also puts me at 40-50 fps almost no matter what.

I'm also not sure if there is any high quality AA mode that gets most/all edges. You can try using the highest supersampling setting for screenshots, but I would anticipate that killing your framerate. In motion, the game can look pretty nice though.

Some of these things may get better performance closer to release if the developers use more efficient techniques, or add level-of-detail models for certain things and so forth.

If anyone has any corrections or better information by all means chime in though. This is just from my experience a couple of weeks ago playing on a mostly clean install. I also haven't tried it with the very latest nVidia drivers, but I'm not sure if I'm actually GPU limited.

Megasoum

Banned
I hope they will start working on more tracks (other than the ones already announced and in progress right now)... The track selection is already amazing but there's a bunch of really really good tracks I wish were included...including

-Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
-Mosport
-Road Atlanta
-A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring
-Turkey F1 track
-Mont Tremblant

TJP

I'm not sure if that's possible if you play on tracks with reflections/rain. Having 30 cars might also push it towards very difficult territory.

If anyone has any corrections or better information by all means chime in though. This is just from my experience a couple of weeks ago playing on a mostly clean install. I also haven't tried it with the very latest nVidia drivers, but I'm not sure if I'm actually GPU limited.
I think you've covered it well Blizzard. I have a very similar setup to yours but I'm using a GTX 680 in place of the 770 and see very similar framerates.

pCARS is a very much unfinished project and between now and the release date of mid 2014, SMS will go through the process of game optimisation. That said, if you really want to push the graphics up and run with all the bells and whistles with a 30 car grid racing in the rain then a multi GPU setup will be the most likely choice. You could also wait for the PS4 or Xbox One version and see how the console versions stack up against the PC version...

_machine

I hope they will start working on more tracks (other than the ones already announced and in progress right now)... The track selection is already amazing but there's a bunch of really really good tracks I wish were included...including

-Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve
-Mosport
-Road Atlanta
-A1 Ring/Red Bull Ring
-Turkey F1 track
-Mont Tremblant
I wish so too, but I think the budget's stretched enough as it is so any more tracks apart from the ones already licensed and planned will probably delegated to DLC, but if fairly priced that would be fine by me. pCARS already has a very strong track lineup so I'd prefer more work put on the cars at the moment.

Also kinda on topic, Kunos' Assetto Corsa F1 simulator at the Maranello musuem was pretty awesome (the FFB was godly compared to my Momo and the cockpit effects were really good, especially under acceleration) and reinforced my thoughts about next year being the best year ever for racing games. As for the physics, no doubt with the FFB and effects I thought it felt a bit more realistic than pCARS F1 at the moment (I think the FA feels to tame under acceleration in the first 2 gears compared to AC), but overall I think they're generally rather similiar and very, very convincing to me. Graphics on both are absolutely stunning too; I was surprised how clean AC looked even if I was sitting quite far away from the monitors.

I wish so too, but I think the budget's stretched enough as it is so any more tracks apart from the ones already licensed and planned will probably delegated to DLC, but if fairly priced that would be fine by me. pCARS already has a very strong track lineup so I'd prefer more work put on the cars at the moment.

Also kinda on topic, Kunos' Assetto Corsa F1 simulator at the Maranello musuem was pretty awesome (the FFB was godly compared to my Momo and the cockpit effects were really good, especially under acceleration) and reinforced my thoughts about next year being the best year ever for racing games. As for the physics, no doubt with the FFB and effects I thought it felt a bit more realistic than pCARS F1 at the moment (I think the FA feels to tame under acceleration in the first 2 gears compared to AC), but overall I think they're generally rather similiar and very, very convincing to me. Graphics on both are absolutely stunning too; I was surprised how clean AC looked even if I was sitting quite far away from the monitors.

Oh hey, fun. How'd the LaFerrari look in person? So many great race cars there.

Blizzard

Banned
I think you've covered it well Blizzard. I have a very similar setup to yours but I'm using a GTX 680 in place of the 770 and see very similar framerates.

pCARS is a very much unfinished project and between now and the release date of mid 2014, SMS will go through the process of game optimisation. That said, if you really want to push the graphics up and run with all the bells and whistles with a 30 car grid racing in the rain then a multi GPU setup will be the most likely choice. You could also wait for the PS4 or Xbox One version and see how the console versions stack up against the PC version...
I wanted to get the bad news out of the way first. The good news is, I'm still not sure about the multiplayer performance since I haven't played it much recently, but aside from wet conditions or certain track areas like Belgian Forest's starting line, it does seem stable at 60 fps with this setup, and it's really nice to be able to finally get it. CARS was one of the main reasons I was building the new PC, along with the Oculus Rift.

markao

Also, the audio for the trackside cameras on few cars seems to have improved by quite a mile with some new first ever in a racing game tech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqDBkCzqSc
I prefer the Capri, but the Z4 sounds pretty good too. It's the first pass though so I imagine it'll only get better.

Wow, some "hard transitions" to fix, but that already sounds really good. Is it in today's build or is that just an example ?

I wanted to get the bad news out of the way first. The good news is, I'm still not sure about the multiplayer performance since I haven't played it much recently, but aside from wet conditions or certain track areas like Belgian Forest's starting line, it does seem stable at 60 fps with this setup, and it's really nice to be able to finally get it. CARS was one of the main reasons I was building the new PC, along with the Oculus Rift.
Racing game frames, besides the rainy conditions (added reflectons), will always be the lowest at the start of a race. Most of the buildings and "people" on a race track are around the start/finish line/pitlane and at the start you also have all the possible cars in the same frame, so you get the biggest performance hit.

I mostly set-up the game to just below acceptable at that point and after few corners you than hit your wanted framerate, if there isn't enough power in the videocard. Mine (5850) right now hardly can run one car in time trial mode ;)

_machine

Wow, some "hard transitions" to fix, but that already sounds really good. Is it in today's build or is that just an example ?
It's in today's build with some restrictions:
I've just checked in WIP updates to the Capri, Zonda R and BMW Z4GT3.

These now have Tim's new 'trajectory' parameter enabled. This parameter is all about directional audio - and currently only works on trackside cameras (chase cam coming soon). You will notice a difference between cars approaching and departing the cameras. This parameter will be eventually rolled out for the AI cars too.

The settings at the moment are highly experimental and will change of course. Currently, we have a simple filter and volume control on approach and on departure, full volume and no filter.

Known issues: the closer the camera is to the car, the more stark and rapid the transitional effect (mid distance ones work better). We'll need to find a good balance here or maybe some subtle code tweaks will be needed.

Sounds like a great trip. I saw your Sesto Elemento pic in the TG thread. What a weapon!

The new externals sound pretty good. I think a bit too much reverb (I believe that's what I'm hearing) for my tastes though. Sounds like a tunnel. It's a good start though.

TJP

EDIT: Got some Lambo and Ducati pics too if anyone's interested. I should probably write a bit about my trip somewhere...(twas pretty great if the +40 degrees weather made walking around very tiring)
Reads like a great trip and I'd love to see the Ducati pictures!

paskowitz

You could also wait for the PS4 or Xbox One version and see how the console versions stack up against the PC version...

What status is the PS4 version? Confirmed/hinted/rumored/forum BS? If they can get it out before Gran Turismo 7 they will sell bucket loads, if it comes out after... they may have issues.

_machine

(chase cam improvments should come next week apparently)
Actually, they were supposed to come today, but unfortunately the Steam devtools are apparently down so SMS haven't been able to release the latest build (yet). Here's a few pics instead:
l10909034iugr.jpg

l1100061lkul5.jpg

(that particular Lambo was up for the test drives, I really need get some money for my next trip to Italy, though I have quite some saving to do if I plan to go to Cuba next summer...)
l1100068tkuhh.jpg

l1100134hiu3n.jpg

l1090909i4uo2.jpg

l1090911auuqc.jpg

l1090931xbu53.jpg

l10909766uksr.jpg

l1090982hdjem.jpg

EDIT: I'll probably write a bigger post eventually (no idea which thread to use, though), but I just have to say for me the factory tours of Lambo (twas fun with the guide pointing out everything and saying "is very expensive" since there were some crazy things customers had ordered like a neon yellow leather interior with special stitching and quilted seats) and Ducati (even though just assemble the bikes and produce nothing more than the crank- and camshafts were machined inhouse it gave a really good look into how these bikes come to be and how they manage to produce a wide variety of bikes with just a few lines) were probably the highlights of the trip, but the food and people were a close second ;)

_machine

Omgggggg dat SWB. One of my all-time favourite cars.
Yeah, I thought the GTO would be the crown of the museum, but both me and my brother definitely preferred the SWB.

Also, before the trip I was sure Lamborghini had never made anything remotely ugly, but that multipla-esque one (I can't remember the name nor can find it anywhere) is probably the first (and only) not-beautiful lambo.
lamborghini-museum.jpg

p3tran

Banned
pretty fun trip you made _machine. well done 8)

p.s. I dont know which lamborghini you dont like in that pic, but I dont see the lm002 in your pic, so yeah, there are more than one :)

NotSaladin

Neo Member
I wish that after the PC version is fully developed that next-gen systems (primarily the PS4) would take precedence over current-gen versions. Watching some of those clips inside the cockpit from a gameplay perspective look brilliant. The environment graphics could do with a little improvement (to match), but they are focusing where things matter and that is capturing visceral racing with beautifully recreated cars.

I'm a big GT fan personally, but the series has sadly become a bit stale. Mainly because of the AI, sound and the feeling of 'speed'. They are my biggest qualms.

_machine

pretty fun trip you made _machine. well done 8)

p.s. I dont know which lamborghini you dont like in that pic, but I dont see the lm002 in your pic, so yeah, there are more than one :)
Thanks,

I meant the red one with the "bump" in the hood before the lights (a bit like multipla). But you're right some of the LM's and the Genesis aren't exactly beauties, but the LM they had on display was actually pretty cool if a bit crude looking.
Great photos! Who had the MP4/4 on display?
It was in the new Museo Ferrari Casa Enzo Ferrari, which currently hosts a F1 Champions exhibition with many F1 winning cars and helmets and background texts and pics about racing in Italy (not just about F1, there was quite a bit about Jarno and Agostini and other bikers of the era).

Here's a few more pics of the old Ducatis, a Diavel which wasn't anything special to me before the trip, but live is a whole different beast, the AC F1 simulator, and a few pics from the Casa Enzo with Senna's infamous Williams:

I meant the red one with the "bump" in the hood before the lights (a bit like multipla)
Ah! I misread your post. Apparently that ghastly thing was called the Acosta. It looks like it shares many parts with the Diablo, so it can't have been a proposed replacement. An additional, pointless model - thankfully it never made production.

kazinova

Quick question: I snagged a Junior membership to Project CARS (mostly because I just wanted to check it out), I've never been able to access much. I seem to only be able to try a couple cars and a couple tracks. And my image quality is way lower than any screenshot or video posted of the game.

I'm running a GTX 670 and a 3770k so I'm pretty sure I should be able to get some more eye candy. Is the limited selections/options due to being the lowest level in funding?

Quick question: I snagged a Junior membership to Project CARS (mostly because I just wanted to check it out), I've never been able to access much. I seem to only be able to try a couple cars and a couple tracks. And my image quality is way lower than any screenshot or video posted of the game.

I'm running a GTX 670 and a 3770k so I'm pretty sure I should be able to get some more eye candy. Is the limited selections/options due to being the lowest level in funding?

Can you not change the visual settings?

Pepto

Banned
Quick question: I snagged a Junior membership to Project CARS (mostly because I just wanted to check it out), I've never been able to access much. I seem to only be able to try a couple cars and a couple tracks./QUOTE]

How many cars are we talking about?

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Other video in which I've applied some filters to have a tonality, lighting, lens effect and realistic sound, along with camera movements that mimic its position on the helmet. The lap is with the Formula A in Suzuka.

With Oculus Rift will be much better... :)

Lettuce

I know this is a long shot, but do any of you guys know anyone who has a beta/tool pack to this game that doesnt play it anymore and would be willing to part with it. Not sure if there is a trading system on the WMD forums or not that has member give up there beta code/account??

Top Bottom