• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox 3 = 6-core CPU, 2GB of DDR3 Main RAM, 2 AMD GPUs w/ Unknown VRAM, At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
[Nintex];32827386 said:
Holy shit, that's insane. If that's true they're not fucking around and Sony better start opening some more credit lines if they still want to compete.
i dont think its true

charsace

Forget what I said. It was just guys speculating on what went out. When the alpha 360 dev kits went out they had the best ATI cards at the time in them. So based on the rumors the guys at beyond3d think it could be a 6990 in the dev kits since that is a dual gpu and falls in line with the type of alpha kits they sent out for the 360.

Basically they think that since the 360 alpha got the best ati cards at the time and the 360's final card turned out to be high class R500 part with some custom features they think the xbox3 alpha has the best ATI card and because of rumors they think the kits have 6990's so the xbox3 will have a high level 7000 card.

Zeal

Banned
People are saying the dev kits have 6990 ati cards in them so the system will have something that pushes 6990 levels of graphics. That will probably be a 7850 or 7870.

If this is true, wtf is going on? These are $800+ cards. Microsoft is going to try and utterly obliterate the WiiU and PS4 before their production.

EDIT: The speculation is still sound.

MDX

These rumors might simply be distractions to turn buyers away from the WiiU:

"For this market, making people think you are going to launch could be as important as launching. If a new system seems to be on the horizon it could slow movement towards a PS3 or Wii U. Once the Wii U launches the Xbox 360 becomes the old system." - DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole

The only system that we know will launch in 2012 is the WiiU.
It has already been revealed to the public.
We know what games are being made for it.
And developers still don't have final kits.

I just dont see why Microsoft would rush out their new console.
Is there any indication that a reveal is possible at the CES?
Keynotes?

The only reason why I think MS would launch in 2012 is because they might
be worried about the online services Nintendo might offer with the WiiU.

slider

Forget what I said. It was just guys speculating on what went out. When the alpha 360 dev kits went out they had the best ATI cards at the time in them. So based on the rumors the guys at beyond3d think it could be a 6990 in the dev kits since that is a dual gpu and falls in line with the type of alpha kits they sent out for the 360.

Basically they think that since the 360 alpha got the best ati cards at the time and the 360's final card turned out to be high class R500 part with some custom features they think the xbox3 alpha has the best ATI card and because of rumors they think the kits have 6990's so the xbox3 will have a high level 7000 card.

If it is true I wonder where that puts RAM speculation?

Just looked up a Crysis 2 vid on YT running on a 6990 (I think). Bring it on MS, I'm ready.

If this is true, wtf is going on? These are $800+ cards. Microsoft is going to try and utterly obliterate the WiiU and PS4 before their production.

EDIT: The speculation is still sound.

Maybe they're trying to price Sony out of the market? I'd guess that MS could go on making a loss on hardware and not give a shit, knowing that Sony will try to better it and waste away their profits like they did with the PS3.

[Nintex]

Maybe they're trying to price Sony out of the market? I'd guess that MS could go on making a loss on hardware and not give a shit, knowing that Sony will to better it and waste away their profits like they did with the PS3.
But Sony doesn't have much in terms of profits to waste away. They're at the point where they have to consider selling parts of the company to keep other parts afloat. It's bursting at the seams and Stringer is like: "Lol I won't go away, I'll reinvent the TV!".

Keynotes?

We know now that Nintendo aren't launching until at least after E3. So spreading rumours around about CES or E3 wouldn't do any good there. You'd have to do it the Sony way, reveal first, delay later.

Proelite

If the dual amd gpu rumours are true, it can mean one of two things.

1. The final Gpu in the next xbox will be more powerful than a 6970, and a 6990 is needed for development purposes.
2. The next xbox have two weak gpus, and the only way to simulate that properly is two use a gimped 6990, or cross firing two weaker southern islands cards. The reason ms might want to use two small gpus is that the yield rates would be better than a large gpu and it's easier to reconfigure the chip layouts down the line for slim xboxes.

[Nintex]

We know now that Nintendo aren't launching until at least after E3. So spreading rumours around about CES or E3 wouldn't do any good there. You'd have to do it the Sony way, reveal first, delay later.

Nintendo really botched that up. I still don't know what they were thinking with the Wii U reveal. Maybe they were still trying to rush for fall 2011 and someone stepped on the brakes. It would've worked out better if they just showed that Zelda teaser/trailer thing at end of their conference as a last surprise. This was like a full blow-out of the console that was missing pieces and then going back into hiding when they didn't know the answers to questions they knew were coming.

Majanew

Banned

Keynotes?

Why does it keep being labeled as "rushing" the console if it releases next year? It could be ready for next year and MS has just been watching the competition and the market.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not basing anything off that post. Read into the thread where guys break down why it could be a 6990 in the alpha kits. It could be plausible if they are doing things in a similar way to how they did things with the 360.
That Post is the first mention of 6990 for the Nextbox and discussion of feasibility & implications of the 6990 on the system started from there.

thuway

There is no fucking way MS is launching a console in 2012 with a 6990. Barring everything the damn thing will look like a tank and will suck the power out like your goddamn refrigerator.

Don't get me wrong GAF, I WANT THIS, but I doubt it. This is the GPU ALONE-

6990hd.jpg

Globox_82

Banned
I'll be the first to say it- there is no goddamn way MS can launch a console in 2012, at a reasonable size, and enough value at $399 with a 6990.

Barring everything the damn thing will look like a tank and will suck the power out like your goddamn refrigerator.

Don't get me wrong GAF, I WANT THIS, but I doubt it.

late 2013, early 2014

Proelite

All these GPU rumors and speculation are baseless, but one thing concrete is that MS will always have a powerful and cutting edge graphics chip in their new consoles. Even if they went a Wii route they'll sacrifice everything except for the GPU. They spend massive amounts of R&D each year on DirectX. The 360 was a trojan horse for developers and gpu manufacturers to adopt new DirectX technology.

charsace

That Post is the first mention of 6990 for the Nextbox and discussion of feasibility & implications of the 6990 on the system started from there.

Its not fact or anything just a possibility. One that isn't too out there if you look at how MS did things with their previous two systems. They are most working with ATI. ATI's best card is a dual GPU set up. The rumors say the alpha kit has a dual gpu set up. Its not hard to imagine that one possible conclusion to the rumors is that the alpha kit has a 6990 in it.

Other things to think consider is that ATI probably has a lot of things already worked out. They already have one console configuration for another console maker(Nintendo) and that card is rumored to be a DX10.1 part. Whose to say they haven't developed a custom DX11 part for MS? The card doesn't need to have the high fill rates of the PC counterparts.

thuway

Whatever happens with the GPU, Sony needs to launch six months later with a similar performance or they are fucked. We are talking Samaritan numbers here. This has to be 2013, now way in fuck its 2012.

I don't want to be this hyped for nothing. damnyougaf.

Proelite

Whatever happens with the GPU, Sony needs to launch six months later with a similar performance or they are fucked. We are talking Samaritan numbers here. This has to be 2013, now way in fuck its 2012.

I don't want to be this hyped for nothing. damnyougaf.

2013 and 2012 isn't going to make a difference in terms of power. Only when 22/20nm fab processes get matured will you get noticeable performance increases, and that's 2014 at the earliest.

1-D_FTW

Its not fact or anything just a possibility. One that isn't too out there if you look at how MS did things with their previous two systems. They are most working with ATI. ATI's best card is a dual GPU set up. The rumors say the alpha kit has a dual gpu set up. Its not hard to imagine that one possible conclusion to the rumors is that the alpha kit has a 6990 in it.

Other things to think consider is that ATI probably has a lot of things already worked out. They already have one console configuration for another console maker(Nintendo) and that card is rumored to be a DX10.1 part. Whose to say they haven't developed a custom DX11 part for MS? The card doesn't need to have the high fill rates of the PC counterparts.

I don't see why it would be DX11 based. I'm sure it'll have a very symbiotic relationship with Windows 8. Could easily see it based off of DX12. Although how much any of that matters is debatable.

thuway

2013 and 2012 isn't going to make a difference in terms of power. Only when 22/20nm fab processes get matured will you get noticeable performance increases, and that's 2014 at the earliest.

How is it even remotely possible that MS can build a console for an affordable price with a GPU as large as the 6990 in 2012? We are deluding ourselves. I'm sure someone like Brainstew will set this shit straight.

Majanew

Banned
There is no fucking way MS is launching a console in 2012 with a 6990. Barring everything the damn thing will look like a tank and will suck the power out like your goddamn refrigerator.

Don't get me wrong GAF, I WANT THIS, but I doubt it. This is the GPU ALONE-

6990hd.jpg

And this is an ATi X1900

auth11.png

They don't just plop PC graphic cards in the things. I don't think it'll be a 6990 equivalent, though. Maybe a lesser card that can get close in a closed system.

Globox_82

Banned
That's because they launched at about $700. I don't know where that $800 came from.

And they don't shrink old cards.

I feel like I am talking to a little kid, I have to explain everything. I meant that some card of that or similar power will by 2013 be much smaller in size, and be usable for a gaming console.

For example GPUs in mobile phones are very powerful, like cards we had in our PCs a couple of years ago. Of course they are not exact same cards (since I have to explain my self for everything) but of that or similar power.

I am sure if someone in PS2 era told you that current gen would use multi cpu or multi core processor you would have said the same thing.

Proelite

I don't see why it would be DX11 based. I'm sure it'll have a very symbiotic relationship with Windows 8. Could easily see it based off of DX12. Although how much any of that matters is debatable.
It's going to be DX12 and beyond. It'll have GPU features that might or might not make it to AMD 8000/9000 series.

It's about the value proposition, not the ticket price.

And you can't create that value proposition by launching a system with lots of features that has a high upfront price, as the PS3 eminently demonstrates. What's important for overall sales volume with a decent ASP is a wide product range with a good entry point: yes, the 360 still averages like $300, but that's with all the pricier Kinect bundles dragging up the value of all the cheapo $200 Arcade-only systems.

I mean, we even saw this with the 360. Over a year of extraordinarily mediocre sales all driven by their inability to price drop early. It was only once MS got down to $200 that their sales really took off and they were able to experiment with legitimate value-adds to bring up the ASP.

[Nintex];32824861 said:
All MS needs to do is put Windows 8 on this thing. If investors, shareholders and the board see the Windows userbase growing with high percentages every year because they put it on Xbox's, phones and whatnot they don't care if MS writes down hundreds of millions in manufacturing this thing.

No, that's definitely not accurate. Windows 8 is almost entirely about mobile penetration -- nobody's going to really care (beyond the fairly superficial level of "oh, I guess you really are working at total integration") whether the next Xbox uses it, and it's certainly not going to excuse the kind of profligate spending the Xbox division engaged in in the past -- because shareholders are already going to be busy excusing that kind of spending in the mobile/tablet arena.

Proelite

How is it even remotely possible that MS can build a console for an affordable price with a GPU as large as the 6990 in 2012? We are deluding ourselves. I'm sure someone like Brainstew will set this shit straight.

They can't achieve the raw flops with a 28nm card in 2012, but they certainly can match real world performances for 1080p/60fps, because the card is inside a console.

The 6990 can do 5 teraflops, a 28nm console gpu at 3 teraflops can match in most situations imo simply because devs can achieve higher usage of the given flops.

To give an example, the x1800 is comparable to Xenos on paper, but in real world performance, combined with the rest of the system, Xenos spanks it.

BurntPork

Banned
I feel like I am talking to a little kid, I have to explain everything. I meant that some card of that or similar power will by 2013 be much smaller in size, and be usable for a gaming console.

For example GPUs in mobile phones are very powerful, like cards we had in our PCs a couple of years ago. Of course they are not exact same cards (since I have to explain my self for everything) but of that or similar power.

I am sure if someone in PS2 era told you that current gen would use multi cpu or multi core processor you would have said the same thing.

Still wrong. That level of performance won't be in a $100 card until late 2014 or early 2015 at the absolute earliest, so it probably won't be viable for a console until late 2015 at the earliest. That's being very optimistic, too.

It's going to be DX12 and beyond. It'll have GPU features that might or might not make it to AMD 8000/9000 series.

DX12 hasn't even been talked about yet. It's still a long way off.

Mrbob

If MS is going to use a split memory pool, is 1GB GDDR5 even enough with 2GB DDR3?

Battlefield 3 on PC is a now game, and it already uses about 1.3gb of video memory for 1080P with everything set to max. Future games will only go up.

If we have a choice between 2GB DDR3 + 1GB GDDR5 or 2GB GDDR5 + Large EDRAM, I take the latter. I'd surely expect the Nextbox to at least be able to offer modern games at the ability to max them out at 1080P. How can the first option do so when it doesn't even have enough video memory to handle all effects at 1080P? With a bunch of EDRAM and fast memory, the second option should hopefully make this possible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this line of thinking.

late 2013, early 2014

Even so, it's just impossible, given any common sense around size, power consumption, price, etc...

Sony it's being more reasonable with the specs on the Vita I expect the same on PS4, MS going this way it's a mistake unless they loss a fuck ton of money for every console sold.

thuway

They can't achieve the raw flops with a 28nm card in 2012, but they certainly can match real world performances for 1080p/60fps, because the card is inside a console.

The 6990 can do 5 teraflops, a 28nm console gpu at 3 teraflops can match in most situations imo simply because devs can achieve higher usage of the given flops.

To give an example, the x1800 is comparable to Xenos on paper, but in real world performance, combined with the rest of the system, Xenos spanks it.

You know exactly what we are talking about. There is no possible way a Microsoft console in 2012 is using a card as powerful in raw performance as a 6990.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If MS is going to use a split memory pool, is 1GB GDDR5 even enough with 2GB DDR3?

Battlefield 3 on PC is a now game, and it already uses about 1.3gb of video memory for 1080P with everything set to max. Future games will only go up.

If we have a choice between 2GB DDR3 + 1GB GDDR5 or 2GB GDDR5 + Large EDRAM, I take the latter. I'd surely expect the Nextbox to at least be able to offer modern games at the ability to max them out at 1080P. How can the first option do so when it doesn't even have enough video memory to handle all effects at 1080P? With a bunch of EDRAM and fast memory, the second option should hopefully make this possible. Someone correct me if I'm wrong with this line of thinking.

Just a guess, but I think you can be to some degree more precise about your memory usage on a console than on a PC (?) So there may be savings to be made to get the same result.

Also, the GPU would have access to the DDR3.

I'm sure MS will go with whichever option most devs approve of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom