• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Wants To Release A Major Final Fantasy Game Every 1-2 Years

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While we already knew they were on a "two-year per team" game release cycle, I felt this was interesting for two reasons.

1.) They list a lot of franchises that release on a yearly basis, so I'm wondering if they are thinking about something like alternating Final Fantasy Regular and a larger spin-off like Final Fantasy Versus.

2.) I was curious about people's opinions on the premise of his statement. Namely, do you feel that releasing a new major game every 1-2 years is the best way to maintain the health of a franchise. Notably they actually used to do this once upon a time.

Eurogamer said:
SE wants to release a Final Fantasy every year or two
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 21 November, 2011
To follow COD, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield model.

Square Enix wants to launch a new Final Fantasy once every year or two.

This, Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase told GameReactor, will keep fans interested in the role-playing game series.

"[For] the current generation console, Final Fantasy XIII was obviously the first game, and personally I think we took a little too long getting it out," he said.

"When you think of Western AAA titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin's Creed, they seem to work with a lot shorter turnaround - they make a new game in one to two years. That is something we need to follow up, because that seems to be the best way to keep our fans interested and attracted to the franchise."

Final Fantasy 13, which launched in Europe in March 2010, was the first in the series for the current generation of consoles. Final Fantasy 12 launched on PlayStation 2 in Europe on 23rd February 2007.

Kitase admitted Square Enix "learnt a lesson" from the game's long development, and is happier with Final Fantasy XIII-2, which launches early next year after 18 months of development.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-21-se-wants-to-release-a-final-fantasy-every-year-or-two

The examples they use are all so diametrically opposed to the FF tradition of all new systems, but I expected something like this after FFXIII-2. I'm actually glad though, I loved the fight system in 13 and wanted to see it revisited.

I just hope this doesn't result in them plumbing the depths of their back catalog to regurgitate ideas. We don't need FF6-2 with espers, or .. wait. They already did this with 4 and 7.

well...shit.

Edit: To stay with Nirolak's topic, I honestly think that a new FF every year or two is vital to keeping the franchise fresh in people's minds. If you think about it, there was only a year and change between 7 and 8 and 9, then there was a decent gap between 9 and 10, a decent gap between 10 and 12, and a loooong gap between 12 and 13. This could be the shot in the arm they need, and the realization of the vision they had with 12 of creating franchises out of the numbered worlds.

Seda

So if Versus is the next major game after XIII-2, we can expect that at the latest early 2014, 2 years later.

Unless they're counting FFX HD, then maybe it'll be XIII-2 in 2012, FFX HD in 2014, and Versus in 2016!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if Versus is the next major game after XIII-2, we can expect that at the latest early 2014, 2 years later.

Unless they're counting FFX HD, then maybe it'll be XIII-2 in 2012, FFX HD in 2014, and Versus in 2016!
I'm pretty sure they're only counting new, major console games if they're listing Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty.

DaBuddaDa

A full, entirely new Final Fantasy every 2 years would be the same as it used to be in the SNES and PSX era and I'm all for it. I have zero faith they can pull that off though.

I don't really like the idea... Seeing as though Final Fantasy games usually rack up the hours in longevity for a single playthrough, shorter development times cannot be a good thing.

Those shooters referenced rely on a multiplayer focus most of the time for filling their hours and a shortened development window will not allow for great creativity.

I'll be glad to be proved wrong however if they're up to snuff.
Some sequels wouldn't go astray either. ;)

Empty

it's nice to want things.

this is a bit depressing to be honest as while square have lots of production issues, final fantasy has been an amazing franchise for me because they significantly change the gameplay systems and worlds/characters with every new mainline version. going for quick releases given the difficulties they have with current hd development makes it much harder to do that, and breeds stagnancy. given that western gamers seem to be abandoning jrpgs because they're, wrongly imo, perceived as being stagnant, i'm not sure if this is a great move financially either.

Kyoufu

I don't think they get it tbh.

I don't want yearly FF games if they're going to be shit like FFXIII (and from the looks of it, XIII-2).

Keep interest in FF by not milking it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't think they get it tbh.

I don't want yearly FF games if they're going to be shit like FFXIII (and from the looks of it, XIII-2).

Keep interest in FF by not milking it.

To add to that, I would say keep interest by not announcing titles 4 years early and release said announced titles before announcing new ones.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think we took a little too long getting it out

No kidding, sherlock. :p

Anyway, this is what I expect:

2011-2012: Final Fantasy XIII-2
2012-2013: Final Fantasy Versus XIII
2013-2014: Final Fantasy XV
2014-2015: Final Fantasy XVI (new HD console game)
2015-2016: Final Fantasy XVI-2

batbeg

Maybe this way I'll get a worthwhile one every few years like the good old days.

And pass on the others as I did with XIII :( I'm excited for XIII-2 though!

JudgeN

it's nice to want things.

this is a bit depressing to be honest as while square have lots of production issues, final fantasy has been an amazing franchise for me because they significantly change the gameplay systems and worlds/characters with every new mainline version. going for quick releases makes it much harder to do that, and breeds stagnancy. given that western gamers seem to be abandoning jrpgs because they're, wrongly imo, perceived as being stagnant, i'm not sure if this is a great move financially either.

This is how I feel about it as well, it will be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Honestly, if they can pull this off with the same quality they pulled off FF7, 8, and 9 using that same timeline strategy, then who am I to complain. Those 3 are amazing to me and were released within 3 years of eachother I believe.

DaBuddaDa

Those 3 are amazing to me and were released within 3 years of eachother I believe.

That's right: VII in the US was September 1997 and IX in the US was November 2000, with VIII in-between in September 1999.

That's 24 months between 7->8 and 13 months between 8->9.

I think the only way they will be able to accomplish this is to make a second, full-sized team dedicated to mainline Final Fantasy games, ala Infinity Ward/Treyarch.

LiK

RPGs are not like action games. They can't just push them out and expect a large quality diverse world. Whatever, let's see how they kill it.

TheContact

Square Enix wants money and doesn't care about quality. Ever since the merger these guys have gone downhill BIG TIME.

Ranger X

LOL, they think it's the way to keep franchise alive while it's the way to actually kill your IP fast.

Looks like FF28 won't happen afterall. They should also try to make good games before making a new one every year.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dear EA:

Battlefield model.

No. Please... just... no. Support BF3 for the next two years and then release another BF. Don't listen to Activision or Square-Enix, 'kay?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dear EA:

No. Please... just... no. Support BF3 for the next two years and then release another BF. Don't listen to Activision or Square-Enix, 'kay?
They intend to alternate it with Medal of Honor.

Battlefield is the "2 year" part of their analogy, though they bolster that with expansion packs.

I'm worried that annual releases may cause them to take fewer risks with their game design and art direction, not unlike every other annual release from Western developers. I hope my fears are unfounded but at least it won't take very long to find out.

...and I'll still buy them all.

If it works out: Mainline > Spin-off > Mainline > Spin-off, then's that will work out just fine I think.

I think you can fit Final Fantasy XIII-3 in there somewhere.
You know they'll do it.

Pranay

Beaten :\

batbeg

That's right: VII in the US was September 1997 and IX in the US was November 2000, with VIII in-between in September 1999.

That's 24 months between 7->8 and 13 months between 8->9.

I think the only way they will be able to accomplish this is to make a second, full-sized team dedicated to mainline Final Fantasy games, ala Infinity Ward/Treyarch.

Isn't this what they have always done, though? IX, X and XI were all announced together and made possible because of three different teams. And XII was obviously not handled by the same team as X, X-2 or XIIIs either.

Aru

Every 2 years is fine. I'm for this.
But every year ? No thanks. Unless they make a spin-off the year after the last numbered FF.
Or unless they still make vastly different games each time, unlike other titles quoted.

DaBuddaDa

LOL, they think it's the way to keep franchise alive while it's the way to actually kill your IP fast.

From 1991 through 2000 they released 5 mainline Final Fantasy games in the US, which adds up to one every ~22 months, less than two years each. This is the time when Final Fantasy broke big in the west and became the juggernaut series it still is, so I disagree with your assessment. In that same span of time there was also Mystic Quest and Final Fantasy V which didn't come out in the US, but was made by the same company nonetheless.

Top Bottom