• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Post-MGS4, Mr Dec 13) [Kamiya NOT Director, New Info]

Takao

Banned
Double Update:

Extended cut of the trailer

Update:

I listened to English podcast:
http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/radio/the_report/the_report_152.mp3

here is a summary

gameplay is 100% Platinum Games, Story and cutscenes done by Kojima Productions. They go and check out with other, making sure characters and world are presented correctly in the game as it should be in Metal Gear universe.

they talk a lot about game's development, you should listen if you're interested.

They want to go all out with action, crazy scenes that you haven't seen in the series from Kojipro before.

The old MGS Rising story was set between 2 and 4, but when they decided to go to platinum they decided that it was limiting and changed it to set after MGS4. PG's game design demanded the story to be changed, gameplay comes first etc. They think it was a good decision.

About Zan-Datsu:
It was a a concept revealed in E3 2010, it's now taken away, they think it slows you down, you still cut thing as you see but it's different than the concept shown in E3 2010. "Gameplay comes first" again.

Who's the director?

When talking about director at PG, Kamiya is the first name to come up but he's not directing, they are unable to reveal it yet but they have great talent there for action games, it's a great team there etc.

This time the whole work flow is toward English, they will be releasing English trailers first, game is directed more to western audiences, they try to develop with that in mind. Even if game design can not be released in Japan that's fine, western gamers come first. Talking about shooters etc and how it's the biggest market. They are aiming for a global market.

This doesn't mean they are copying western games, they are making what they want, it's still a Japanese made game, but they had that in mind. They are making games, games that are fun, but thinking who will find it fun.

OK, I know miladesn is listening to the podcast now, so he will certainly pick up a few more details, but here's what I remember:
• Korekado (the new project manager, you remember him from the "fight" he had with Kojima in the MGS4 making off video) implicitly says that the project failed because of the previous director, he didn't have a clear vision for the game design. And they did the mistake of starting working on the story, mocap, etc... just based on the "cut anything" gimmick. They tried to add gameplay elements, but it always felt not enough to make a game. They made multiple prototypes, but it never really worked.
• The project was once cancelled (? 中止 in Japanese?), and then Kojima invited Platinum to Kojima Prod, and asked Korekado to make a presentation in front of Minami and Inaba
• They gave the previous plot to Platinum, but Platinum ended up asking to write it all again from scratch. Therefore, it went from between MGS 2 and 4, to after MGS4. Writing the script took 2 months (instead of 10 months with the previous failed project).
• They will an interview from Kojima and Inaba posted online on Wednesday (Iwata asks??) to give more details.
• They were playing a demo of the game during the podcast, and they said Platinum added a gameplay element. Since you can cut anything, thy added something that would allow you to enjoy the "taste" of that freedom (??? Drink or eat the enemies???)
• Enemies are cyborgs, and that red liquid is not blood but some kind of cyborg oil

rising34b0wb.png

rising25i6h7.png

kamiyarzks3.png

---

kojimazkamw.png

Trailer

Screenshots

Poor Kojima... On stage his entrance was something...

credit.png

mgr_keyart_fnl_120811mzqow.jpg

No director announced! I uh what... Official Site here

Website said:
Discover the new METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE trailer unveiled during American cable channel Spike’s 2011 Video Game Awards (VGAs)! Held at the end of every year, the VGAs are a celebration of world-class games. As the name suggests, the show recognizes the most outstanding gaming titles of the year, but it also serves as a venue for showing world premiere trailers of select anticipated titles. One of the highlights of this year's show was when Hideo Kojima took the stage to reveal this new trailer.

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING’s E3 2010 trailer won numerous “Best Trailer” awards and drew praise worldwide. At the 2011 VGAs, the game re-emerged as METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE with an all-new trailer.
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is being developed through a partnership with Platinum Games, known for hit titles like Bayonetta and Vanquish, and this new development structure promises to set all-new standards for the action genre.

The main character, Raiden, was once feared as the child soldier "Jack the Ripper" on the front lines of the First Liberian Civil War. Now, his combat mastery is channeled through a cyborg body as the strikes from his high-frequency blade slice even massive assault drones in two. Raiden is contracted for VIP protection, military training and other duties by PMSCs (Private Military and Security Companies) in a developing country piecing itself back together after a bloody civil war. Little does he know that the stage is set for a clash with an enigmatic force of countless cyborgs.

Reborn at the hands of Platinum Games, METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE pits cyborg against cyborg in battle that blazes past every human limit!

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING was a spin-off intended to feature the actions and transformation of Raiden, one of METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY’s main characters, in the lead-up to METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS.

However, after Platinum Games came on board, the story was changed to take place several years after METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to give them more of an opportunity to show off what they can bring to the series. Cyborgs are spreading at a rapid pace in the game’s world, resulting in earth-shattering superhuman action at every turn!

The original aim for a combination of stealth and action has also been enhanced, for a more aggressive new focus on pure, exhilarating action.

A Solid Collaboration Breeds a "Solidless" METAL GEAR

Naturally, Kojima Productions is still overseeing the game’s story and its world, and is also providing visual direction to ensure METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE retains the characteristic look of the METAL GEAR series. Though its exact identity is a step apart from the METAL GEAR SOLID games, the blood of the series still flows within this new METAL GEAR.
Kojima Productions and Platinum Games: Two world-class powerhouses among Japanese studios join forces to bring you METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE . What can we expect from this astounding combination? Keep your eyes on this site for more details!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No More Heroes x Metal Gear Solid

Best MG since MGS! Bring it! I even hate that character but this looks sweet.

Although, yeah, there's already a thread for this particular video, that the source wasn't GT at that point doesn't make it new...

But since all the links in the OP there were killed and nobody bothered to update it I guess it's up to the mods which to keep this time.

This trailer looked amazing. I had zero hype with the initial reveal but this looks so badass. You can really see the platinum games influence lol.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
METAL GEAR RISING IS THE BEST FUCKING GAME OF ALL TIME.

REVENGEANCE.

I'LL BUY 10 COPIES JUST TO SAY I DID. SNICKERS WRAPPERS.

I think the problem with the trailer is that it doesn't give any sort of idea about the story other than its Raiden cutting up dudes. Was expecting some plot involving Sunny, Big Boss and the Patriots.

The way the trailer makes it look, if you replaced Raiden with any other character, you wouldn't even know its based in the Metal Gear universe.

TTP I ALWAYS BELIEVED ;_;

Man, I guess KojiPro asked Platinum to give their game the Vanquish treatment. My interest for the game has jumped to must have, and if Kamiya is at the helm then the deal is sealed: day motherfucking one. It has the potential to be incredible.

Did Raiden fucking suplex a Metal Gear Ray? Oh lawdy.

Himself

Thanks Ratchet and Ilpalazzo. Sheesh...you'd think I know that what with Platinum being my favorite developers this gen. and all.

dvolovets

I thought it was hyperbole as usual with people saying "that looks horrible!", but damn, it really doesn't look very good... and seriously, "revengeance"?...

Himself

Gotdammit, who's directing this thing. The fact that that Kamiya's name hasn't popped up yet doesn't bode well.

Oh, but it does. That means he's working on something else, a new IP perhaps. I'd rather a new Kamiya game plus MGR being worked on by Platinum.

I'm too hyped can't type properly.

No what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense because the "trailer" in this thread is the same in the other. I don't see new news and those "screenshots" are screengrabs that also existed in the other thread. You even posted in that other thread so this "hype" is unparallelled to what you are presenting.

But who am I to judge? Carry on! :D

I'll be honest as excited as I am for Platinum Games this looks very "un-Metal Gear".

Hopefully the trailer just did a bad job.

It looked really "bro-y".

Carbonox

Oh, but it does. That means he's working on something else, a new IP perhaps. I'd rather a new Kamiya game plus MGR being worked on by Platinum.

Platinum Games working on Bayonetta 2 and Metal Gear Rising side-by-side would be...I don't think the planet could contain such a gigaton.

I massively preferred the look and tone of the old Rising. Plus that one was going to have Tenchu-esque stealth elements. This looks willfully stupid.

Watching it again and it just makes me realize...this is cool, but not something I want from MG:R.
It's shamelessly balls-to-the-wall over the top, like Bayonetta or Vanquish at times. Even in the first reveal trailer (not the tease) for Rising, it had a touch of...sophistication and "control". This totally loses that control and goes over the top. That's cool, but not exactly what I'm looking for here.
The Raiden scenes in MGS4 were jaw-dropping when we first played and saw them...but they had "control". You can beliee it was a human in a supersuit, but not so over the top that he can throw 34242432 ton Metal Gears and air dash 35224 feet. That human factor is lost here. This is the kind of stuff I want (and have) seen from Asura's Wrath for example, not here.

Also, story-wise...this is the game that has the chance to explain what exactly lead up to and happened with Raiden's mysterious new happenings seen in MGS4. Totally mysterious and we want answers, this is the game to do it, and it would be a shame if it's campy cheese. That was fine in Vanquish, but this ties into a huge franchise and has to be canon and ties into/answers a lot of questions we have about the character since MGS2 really.

Takao

Banned
No what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense with the "trailer" in this thread is the same in the other. I don't see new news. You even posted in that other thread so this "hype" is unparallelled to what you are presenting.

But who am I to judge? Carry on! :D

Oh sorry. That thread is just a big mess, so I thought maybe a new one was needed to bring out the official release of the trailer. If a mod wants, a merge/lock can happen.

Cartman86

Banned
Kojima on twitter said

@HIDEO_KOJIMA
Expect great things from Platinum Games and Mr. Imaizumi (@ken1555). Raiden is RISING. #MGR #VGA

Kenichiro Imaizumi has been a producer on the MGS games for a while now. Is he just saying he's the producer in charge of this game or has he been promoted to a designer?

EDIT: Never mind he's producer. According to his twitter.

Has anyone asked Kamiya what his role is? If he's not working on it, that means...:O

I think he's asleep right now or otherwise busy, since he hasn't been active on Twitter for eight hours or so. When he gets on later tonight, he'll probably be swamped with questions.

On one hand, the fact that Platinum's biggest "superstar" doesn't have his name all over this from the start suggests that he has no involvement, but Platinum is a small company and they already have people working on Anarchy Reigns, so who knows what he's doing.

DXPett1

Kojima on twitter said

Kenichiro Imaizumi has been a producer on the MGS games for a while now. Is he just saying he's the producer in charge of this game or has he been promoted to a designer?

I think he is saying Kojima is back working on MGS5

Top Bottom