• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most terrifying situation you've ever faced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Aside from deaths in the family I don't really have one, except for the time I was young and the family car broke down to our drive to Las Vegas. I had just seen the movie Breakdown (Kurt Russel's car breaks down in the desert, wife goes to get help, doesn't come back) and my dad and sis decide to hoof it to a gas station a few miles away while my mom and I stayed back. Man, that was pretty damn terrifying as a kid.

Of course I know GAF has faced much, much worse, so lets hear your personal tales of terror.

Having a bear stroll through camp at night and nose at the tents while backpacking in Montana. Or when my little brother got lost on the beach in California. Different kinds of terror, hard to choose. In one instance I thought I was well and truly dead, in the other I thought I was never going to see my brother again.

Stuck driving in the city at 4am with my ass ready to explode and nothing open. Local 7-11 guy pretending they have no bathroom and forcing me to high-tail it out of the store before I shit all over the floor. Shitting in an ice-cold alley 4ft from a sleeping homeless man who looks at me as if to say 'Damn, that motherfucker has it rough', whilst a few doors over a fish market starts loading their shipment - one of the women walking past me and luckily not noticing me 1ft behind her in a divet in the building with my pants down and two steaming chocolate swirls on the doorstep of the back entrance to some other business. Postit notes with an infinitely stickier and smellier adhesive all over the place when I leave.

marrec

Banned
Changing my Avi for RealPicJanuary.

Alternatively:

Having to climb down a flaming wind-turbine during a lightning storm.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Pulled over on my birthday, while my friend was driving. They searches the vehicle, because they said the smells alcohol. I was in the backseat. They got as all out ofthe car and searched us. Illegally I'm assuming. They found a baggy in the back. And they found an old piece of bud, under the drivers seat.

For some fucking reason they just let us go.
Also the whole time i was tripping on some rolls. Had took 2 that day.

Ovid

Aside from deaths in the family I don't really have one, except for the time I was young and the family car broke down to our drive to Las Vegas. I had just seen the movie Breakdown (Kurt Russel's car breaks down in the desert, wife goes to get help, doesn't come back) and my dad and sis decide to hoof it to a gas station a few miles away while my mom and I stayed back. Man, that was pretty damn terrifying as a kid.

Of course I know GAF has faced much, much worse, so lets hear your personal tales of terror.

That is such a great movie. Kinda of a rip-off of The Vanishing but still good nontheless.

totowhoa

Banned
Stuck driving in the city at 4am with my ass ready to explode and nothing open. Local 7-11 guy pretending they have no bathroom and forcing me to high-tail it out of the store before I shit all over the floor. Shitting in an ice-cold alley 4ft from a sleeping homeless man, whilst a few doors over a fish market starts loading their shipment - one of the women walking past me and luckily not noticing me 1ft behind her in a divet in the building with my pants down and two steaming chocolate swirls on the doorstep of the back entrance to some other business.

But did you wipe?

I was up in Foresta Yosemite when Cary Stayner beheaded a woman. My neighbor came up on to our porch and told us that day that a woman had been killed down the road and that the killer was on the loose. Scary fucking shit.

I've had a few. One of them being having to mentally prepare myself to spread my ass cheeks for a doctor to examine, and probably, poke. I had pinworms/threadworms. I was almost in tears when he told me I needn't remove my pants

Ovid

Stuck driving in the city at 4am with my ass ready to explode and nothing open. Local 7-11 guy pretending they have no bathroom and forcing me to high-tail it out of the store before I shit all over the floor. Shitting in an ice-cold alley 4ft from a sleeping homeless man who looks at me as if to say 'Damn, that motherfucker has it rough', whilst a few doors over a fish market starts loading their shipment - one of the women walking past me and luckily not noticing me 1ft behind her in a divet in the building with my pants down and two steaming chocolate swirls on the doorstep of the back entrance to some other business. Postit notes with an infinitely stickier and smellier adhesive all over the place when I leave.

LOL...dying with laughter here.

I was up in Foresta Yosemite when Cary Stayner beheaded a woman. My neighbor came up on to our porch and told us that day that a woman had been killed down the road and that the killer was on the loose. Scary fucking shit.
yikes. I imagine you didn't sleep much that night?

I guess the only real scary situation I've been in, but I was a small kid (maybe 5 or 6) and barely remember this, is when my biological father got in a bloody knife fight with an intruder while I was in on the couch. I suppose I was terrified at the time, but I don't remember that aspect of it, just moving images.

marrec

Banned

I've never been told that a crazy murderer was on the loose in my neighborhood, but I imagine I wouldn't have slept at all that night. Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about how much I'd kick some serial killers ass if he came through the door... then I laugh and remember that I'm in Quality and have bankers hands.

yikes. I imagine you didn't sleep much that night?

I guess the only real scary situation, but I was a small kid (maybe 5 or 6) and barely remember this, is when my biological father got in a bloody knife fight with an intruder while I was in on the couch. I suppose I was terrified at the time, but I don't remember that aspect of it, just moving images.

Did not sleep, the FBI set up this loud and big strobe light that you could hear for miles. Worst part is my mom, friend and I saw the woman in her cabin the night before.

Throavium

Dear lord, have you sought counseling?
tumblr_luknndtrik1qkq0wr.gif

marrec

Banned
NoRéN;33842160 said:
That's one thing I do find somewhat scary. I don't know how you can have the courage to post a pic if yourself on here.

I don't hide anything else about me; you people probably know more about mine and my fiancee's sex life than anyone else, so a pic isn't that bad in retrospect.

totowhoa

Banned
For me... almost drowning in the ocean, I think. I haven't really had anything that terrifying happen otherwise. The next worse thing I can think of is getting pulled over Christmas Eve last year going from one parents house to the other to stay the night. Probably a little after midnight. My fiance was drunk, but I hadn't drank anything for a couple hours and felt fine. Got pulled over for failing to signal at a stop sign in a neighborhood and had to do a field sobriety test in freezing cold weather. Racing through my head the whole time was "what if I didn't wait long enough to drive and I get a DUI on Christmas ugghhh".

Anyway, it all turned out fine, but it was pretty scary as well.

Satyamdas

Banned
Had a gun put point blank to my chest by a strung out gangster dude as I was leaving my girl's house one time. Dude didn't try to rob me or think I was banging, he just kept telling me how he could blast my ass if he wanted.

Another time was walking with a buddy and had 2 carloads of gangsters pull alongside us and 2 of them pointed guns out the window asking where we were from, etc. We didn't gangbang but the area we lived in was pretty shitty. We whispered to each other that our best move was to split up and run but we ended up running the same direction and were able to hide in a nearby apartment complex. Dudes drove around the block for like an hour looking for us. Shit was scary.

Also, had a severe episode of sleep paralysis around 10 years ago. Probably even more terrifying than the times I could have been shot. I've never felt more pure terror in my life. I know that's not really "facing a situation", but goddamn was it scary.

Esch

Banned
Driving home from guitar lessons, huge storm going on. I try to take the connecting road to the main highway. Only problem is that there are cars flipped over in front of me. So i take a back road i know thinking i can reconnect onto the smaller ones. Big mistake. As i'm on one of these roads, suddenly a huge blast of water hits my car and spins it around to where the back of the car is resting on a rail. I'm stunned from the impact of the water and i shake my head. As i do, i realize that i'm suddenly in the middle of a fucking river, and there's water surrounding my car moving pretty fast. Can't open the door, water pressure's too heavy. I try to open my windows, but my engine floods before I can finish rolling it down. And then i feel it, my shoes are wet. Oh fuck, water's coming into the car cabin now. I call 911 and tell them to direct me to the fire department. I tell them where I am and what the situation is. I call my mom, do the same, and tell her I love her. I move to the back of the car and realize that my car is pinned up against a grate, the only thing keeping me from a 40 foot drop. I start getting a little scared now. I'm hoping this grate holds or i'm basically fucked. So the water keeps streaming through. and after 20 minutes i'm standing on my car seat. The water is about to reach my neck. I grab my keys and i'm about to punch my way out through the car roof and sit on top of the car. Right as I'm about to i see flashing lights on the distant bank of this new stream surrounding my car for feet and feet. I see a fireman rope himself to a truck and wade in after me. i open the door for him a crack with my foot, we pull it open together, and he drags me out.

Luckily I survived. No hypothermia, no drowning, no 40 foot fall, and luckily i didnt lose consciousness from the impact of the river. Told me a dam broke and burst onto my car mid drive. Crazy.

Pau

Driving through the mountains of Colombia and being stopped by a military patrol at a check point and not knowing if the soldiers were military or la guerilla.

They had us all get out of the car and some kept their guns pointed at us while they searched the car. Having a loaded assault rifle pointed in your direction is not fun. What made the whole situation truly terrifying though is that my family has been a target of la guerilla before, including my dad who had been kidnapped (and released, thankfully) years before, and I remember quietly asking him if he could tell if they were legitimate military or guerilleros. Him answering "I don't know" was pretty damn terrifying.

They ended up being legitimate military, but my dad and the rest of us were so spooked by the incident we just turned the car around. We weren't in any real danger, but it did bring up a lot of unwanted memories and fears.

MetalAlien

Banned
I was in the middle of a police shoot out last month, but I got to watch from inside an armored car so it was more fun that terrifying.

RedShift

Having building work done, landlord tells us the builders don't have access to the house.

Get in and the builders are in the house, say the electricity has tripped out and they need me to flip the fuses, so I head down into the basement, and they follow.

Suddenly realise I'm in an enclosed underground space with two strange men who I found in my house, and no one else is home. Get a little bit freaked.

Of course it was actually fine, the only thing I had to worry about from those builders was being woken up by them singing along to the radio.

Driving home from guitar lessons, huge storm going on. I try to take the connecting road to the main highway. Only problem is that there are cars flipped over in front of me. So i take a back road i know thinking i can reconnect onto the smaller ones. Big mistake. As i'm on one of these roads, suddenly a huge blast of water hits my car and spins it around to where the back of the car is resting on a rail. I'm stunned from the impact of the water and i shake my head. As i do, i realize that i'm suddenly in the middle of a fucking river, and there's water surrounding my car moving pretty fast. Can't open the door, water pressure's too heavy. I try to open my windows, but my engine floods before I can finish rolling it down. And then i feel it, my shoes are wet. Oh fuck, water's coming into the car cabin now. I call 911 and tell them to direct me to the fire department. I tell them where I am and what the situation is. I call my mom, do the same, and tell her I love her. I move to the back of the car and realize that my car is pinned up against a grate, the only thing keeping me from a 40 foot drop. I start getting a little scared now. I'm hoping this grate holds or i'm basically fucked. So the water keeps streaming through. and after 20 minutes i'm standing on my car seat. The water is about to reach my neck. I grab my keys and i'm about to punch my way out through the car roof and sit on top of the car. Right as I'm about to i see flashing lights on the distant bank of this new stream surrounding my car for feet and feet. I see a fireman rope himself to a truck and wade in after me. i open the door for him a crack with my foot, we pull it open together, and he drags me out.

Luckily I survived. No hypothermia, no drowning, no 40 foot fall, and luckily i didnt lose consciousness from the impact of the river. Told me a dam broke and burst onto my car mid drive. Crazy.

Wow.

Firestorm

About 10 years ago, We'd missed our flight the previous day and were making the trip back to the airport in London (can't remember if it was Gatwick or Heathrow). I was in the backseat with my parents and brother. Saw a truck in front of us and closed my eyes and was going to just doze off. All of a sudden I hear a noise, open my eyes, and the truck had slammed into the side of the car and was pushing us for what felt like an eternity... My dad and brother were screaming. I was completely silent I remember. Thought we were going to die but it eventually stopped and we didn't go under.

I couldn't really go by a truck on the highway without tensing up for a year or two after that.

Kozak

Banned
Pulled over by the police for a RBT when high as fuck.

Tests came out clean for alcohol but the male cop asked "are you on anything else? your eyes look a bit funky. POT!?".

Then the female cop was all like "alright your good to go"

And so I go.

Tests came out clean for alcohol but the male cop asked "are you on anything else? your eyes look a bit funky. POT!?".

And so I go.

That's a shame.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pulled over on my birthday, while my friend was driving. They searches the vehicle, because they said the smells alcohol. I was in the backseat. They got as all out ofthe car and searched us. Illegally I'm assuming. They found a baggy in the back. And they found an old piece of bud, under the drivers seat.

For some fucking reason they just let us go.
Also the whole time i was tripping on some rolls. Had took 2 that day.

...huh. I don't know if this is the most terrifying situation I've been in, I can think of others where my life was in more danger or I was scared for my loved ones, but this is what came to mind after reading yours.

So like 7 years ago I was chilling and smoking with a couple friends on a bench on this tennis court in a local park in our neighborhood, something that up until now we did almost twice a week without any kind of issues or heat at all.

So we get into this little discussion about what we would do if we saw some cops pull up right then. One friend goes "oh we could just go GTA on 'em!" We chuckled. I go "we could just lay flat on the ground, they'd never be able to see us from here!" (...?) More chuckling. Then my other friend gets all serious and says "you know what guys, seriously, if we see some cops right now, we just grab all the shit, and we bolt. We know this neighborhood better than they ever will, they'd never find us." We all kind of nodded fake-seriously, then burst out laughing some more. It was one of those dumb-fuck high conversations where in your mind you feel like you'll become a superhero at the drop of a hat if the moment calls for it.

So then of course a police car pulls up, lights on. Two cops get out holding flashlights and start making their way up the parking lot toward the tennis court. We looked at each other like we had become underground freedom fighters in some kind of fascist uprising.

My friend just bellows out, eaaaaasily loud enough for the cops to hear, "GO! STICK TO THE PLAN!" and the three of us just take the fuck off. The cops start running after us and in my mind they've always drawn their guns when I think back on it, but I could be imagining this detail. Anyway they chase us and I am running faster than I ever have and we spill out into the backyards and alleys of my neighborhood.

We keep moving, never use any of the major intersections. At one particular juncture (we were trying to make our way to my friends house which would have been empty and he had a car), we decide to cross this canal rather than go out into the street, after my second friend gets into the water and past this little rowboat docked there (you couldn't see them anymore), I see a flashlight swing around the corner of the house we were in back of and I take off in the other direction, hoping that if any cops saw me I'll be leading them away from my friends at least.

So now I'm separated from my friends. I'm too scared to make any noise at all to even try calling them until hours later. I'm just sticking to the backyards in my neighborhood (there are a lot of lakes and canals and some have bridges or pipes you can walk on, it's easy to get anywhere on foot without touching the street). Every once in a while when I'm near a major street I peer around the corner of the house- more and more cop cars are streaming into my neighborhood. I counted 7 in a 15-minute period though of course I could have been counting the same ones twice if they were circling.

I hid out in the shadows in my neighborhood for 5 hours. Along the way I stashed the baggie I had on my under these two accent rocks in someone's lawn, so I wouldn't have anything on me if I did end up caught. At about 4:00AM, I stopped seeing lights on the street and finally exited the back alleys. They seemed to have given up so I went home totally shaken up and marveling at how lucky I was.

One of the cops had seen my car parked near the park (not in a driveway) and run my plates, so they'd shown up at my parents house and hung out for an hour while the rest were searching my neighborhood for us. They had nothing to actually charge me with of course so he just ended up leaving. Got into a world of trouble with my parents of course, and they sort of told me my chances at any kind of enjoyable future were over, but it worked out alright.

A few weeks later it was my birthday, and a bunch of my friends were over. I told them all this story just like I told it to you, then we all walked down to the house I'd left the baggie at and retrieved it from under the rock. Felt good. I can't believe I got out of that situation without getting arrested or shot, let alone without losing my bud.

Looking back I can't believe it's something that really happened. In my mind it's like I'm watching it from a third person view like a movie. I don't know why the fuck we thought running was a good idea. I bet barely anything would have even happened to us if we'd just talked to the cops in the first place.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Imagine a large onion ring, bitten so it's a long slippy length of onion, and it's being sucked down your windpipe. There's no one around to help so you have to ram your fist into your mouth and try and find the tail of it before it goes all the way in, all the while you're choking.
Certainly gets the pulse racing!

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Fighting the strong current and waves to reach the shore of the beach while trying to keep afloat my almost drowned brother. I was sure we were going to die, but I did not give up. This event is not an exaggeration, probably the most heroic but also most terrifying moment in my life so far.
Second is probably surgery, specially the post effects of anesthesia.
Third is point blank death threats in high school.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Being like 12 and having a kidney stone attack scared the hell out of me. Not as terrifying as some other stuff here but being in massive amounts of pain and basically everyone had know idea what it was until they got me to the hospital.

Ive had alot of near misses situations that could have ended badly, but so far so good.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Had a gun pulled and aimed at the vehicle I was in when I was a kid. No shots, as far as I can remember. All I remember clearly is my mom either just pushing me down to the floor while sitting in the back with me or reaching back from the front and pushing me down to the floor. Either way, I remember clearly that I was pushed to the floor and I had coca cola spilled all over me, and my dad did something to get out of there. I'm not sure if he just went in reverse as fast as he could or what, I didn't get up for several minutes.

I definitely didn't want to go anywhere at night after that. I'm not exactly sure what motivated them to point a gun at us, but I remember there being two parked vehicles. Maybe it was a deal going on or something and it was their way of telling us to get out. It was up on a levee road, not a regular street. And it's kinda near the bad part of town, so yeah.

Jintor

Almost drowned pulling a family friend back to shore (I was 14, she was... hmmm... 11 or something). Thank the gods for surfies.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I was stabbed through the shoulder when I worked as a detention officer.

Guy spent several months sharpening the edge of a meal tray. Hurt like Hell.

And so I go.

Damn, it's a shame pieces of trash like yourself can get away with that sort of thing.

Draft

I once came incredibly close to being arrested while in possession of a huge quantity of something illegal. The specifics aren't important, but a seemingly inconsequential decision made earlier that day ended up sparing me a no doubt terrifying trip through the legal system. The universe may be uncaring, but it is also random, and that day the numbers fell my way.

mantidor

Driving through the mountains of Colombia and being stopped by a military patrol at a check point and not knowing if the soldiers were military or la guerilla.

They had us all get out of the car and some kept their guns pointed at us while they searched the car. Having a loaded assault rifle pointed in your direction is not fun. What made the whole situation truly terrifying though is that my family has been a target of la guerilla before, including my dad who had been kidnapped (and released, thankfully) years before, and I remember quietly asking him if he could tell if they were legitimate military or guerilleros. Him answering "I don't know" was pretty damn terrifying.

They ended up being legitimate military, but my dad and the rest of us were so spooked by the incident we just turned the car around. We weren't in any real danger, but it did bring up a lot of unwanted memories and fears.

Holly crap this brings back memories.

We were almost stopped by the guerrilla in the times when they were at their peak of kidnapping, I have to confess traveling through los llanos to visit my aunt was pretty terrifying, even though kidnappings had been significantly reduced. Sometimes, you would get nervous just because you stopped seeing cars going in the opposite direction, that was a sure sign something was happening ahead.

More recently,ok this is dumb, but is having to speak in public, I wish it was just the usual stage fright, but I actually start to tremble, sweat, I can't control it and I just freeze, fuck social phobia, it has really hampered my life specially in my career.

Was walking through the woods at night with a buddy and ran into what I *think* was a bear, based on the noise it was making. We froze and it snuffled and moved around us for about 5 minutes (or so it felt) before finally moving on. I honestly thought I was going to get mauled, not fun.

Satyamdas

Banned
Running from the po-po
Reminds me of a time when I was a teen, and a bunch of us decided to break into an apartment unit in our building that was vacant at the time (this was easily accomplished through an unlocked balcony sliding glass door, no broken windows or picked locks necessary). We did this often during the summers and called it the Sugar Shack. The Sugar Shack was always a great place to kick it and get drunk, smoke weed, and mack to the neighborhood honeys. We were always quiet enough that we never drew attention or got caught.

Well one time we had a Sugar Shack poppin and in this particular apartment we ended up way in the back in the huge walk in closet of the master bedroom (these were 4 bdrm apartments that all had a long main hallway leading to the master). In this closet there were about 7 or 8 guys and we were shooting dice and smoking and drinking and having the time of our lives. I was a hardcore gambler and was there for hours while everyone else kind of rotated in and out.

Out of fucking nowhere as I'm reaching for the dice I look up and see a huge grey pistol being shoved into the closet accompanied by screams of "EVERYONE FREEZE! DON'T FUCKING MOVE!". Everyone backs away from the circle, except for one guy who decides to reach down and take this opportunity to swipe all the cash for some fucking reason. Dude lifts the gun right at his temple and I thought it was going to get messy so I flinched and closed my eyes. Luckily for my buddy the cop had enough restraint to just scream at him instead of paint the wall with his brains. We just got escorted out and chewed out by the managers and that was the end of the Sugar Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom