• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TorrentFreak's List of Most Pirated Games in 2011

PC
1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000 downloads)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000 downloads)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000 downloads)
4. FIFA '12 (3,339,000 downloads)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000 downloads)

Xbox 360
1. Gears of War 3 (890,000 downloads)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000 downloads)
3. Battlefield 3 (760,000 downloads)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000 downloads)
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000 downloads)

Wii
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000 downloads)
2. Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000 downloads)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000 downloads)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000 downloads)
5. FIFA '12 (860,000 downloads)

http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

2010's numbers for comparison.

PC
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (4,270,000 downloads)
2. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (3,960,000 downloads)
3. Mafia 2 (3,240,000 downloads)
4. Mass Effect 2 (3,240,000 downloads)
5. StarCraft II (3,120,000 downloads)

Xbox 360
1. Dante's Inferno (1,280,000 downloads)
2. Alan Wake (1,410,000 downloads)
3. Red Dead Redemption (1,060,000 downloads)
4. Halo: Reach (990,000 downloads)
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops (930,000 downloads)

Wii
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,470,000 downloads)
2. Wii Party (1,200,000 downloads)
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns (920,000 downloads)
4. Kirby's Epic Yarn (880,000 downloads)
5. Red Steel 2 (850,000 downloads)

Xenoblade...nearly a MILLION downloads?

I don't get the Call of Duty and Battlefield piracy. They can't play online if they pirate it...yes?

MrDaravon

Xenoblade...nearly a MILLION downloads?

I don't get the Call of Duty and Battlefield piracy. They can't play online if they pirate it...yes?

Plenty of people at my work play pirated 360 versions online, I don't know how that works but apparently you can. PC I have no idea.

Brannon

I've always wondered, are those all 'complete' downloads, or are some of those just the ones that were attempted but stopped for some reason?

TheMan

wouldn't have guessed that wii downloads would be higher than xbox downloads.

the fuckers who dl'd xenoblade better be buying that shit in april.

Crysis 2 is probably because it got leaked really early and every news site picked up on it.

The most surprising thing is that Kinect Sports is so high up there. I wouldn't have thought that many kinect owners would also pirate.

Ranger X

No worries guys, no worries. Those are ALL people that wouldn't possibly buy the games in question. There is no lost sales.

Kinyou

Did Crysis 2 sell well? I'm sure they could have used these numbers. Then again, many of these might have been "demo" pirates.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't have much experience with torrents so maybe this question doesn't make sense, but do we know if these numbers reflect how many times the torrent file has been downloaded or is this how many times the actual game files were downloaded to completion?

Basically I'm asking if the numbers are inflated by people who downloaded the torrent file and then never actually downloaded the game or got part way through and said fuck it.

conman

Okay, anyone else surprised that Skyrim didn't even crack the Top 5?
IMO these two facts are related. Most game piracy is closer to a rental mentality than a purchase mentality (which BTW is also why piracy fears are way overstated). Makes sense that so many folks would "rent" CoD and BF3 without worrying much about playing online. And it makes just as much sense that folks wouldn't bother to "rent" Skyrim.

Xenoblade is an exception to that rule because of the reluctance to localize it for NA. In order just to play an import copy of the game in NA, people had to cross very close to the Land of Piracy. I'm sure quite a few of those people succumbed to temptation just by sheer proximity.

Alrus

Damn I kinda wish Xenoblade sold that much (even though that's obviously not how it works) >.>

Did Crysis 2 sell well? I'm sure they could have used these numbers. Then again, many of these might have been "demo" pirates.

I don't believe demo pirate exist. They'll download the game with that intention in mind, but then just finish it and when that's done, "why bother buying it? I could use that money elsewhere". Done.

Xenoblade not announced for NA ---> people pirate it ----> gets announced for NA later ----> doesn't sell as well because everyone played it already ----> "that's why we don't bring games over there to you filthy pirates!!"

/nintendo of america

Top Bottom