• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TorrentFreak's List of Most Pirated Games in 2011

WillyFive

Xenoblade not announced for NA ---> people pirate it ----> gets announced for NA later ----> doesn't sell as well because everyone played it already ----> "that's why we don't bring games over there to you filthy pirates!!"

/nintendo of america

Unfortunately, even if unintentional, this could happen.

Chatin

It's one of the most obvious ones there.
Maybe it's the most obvious one to explain being torrented, but even then the numbers seem inflated. Prior to seeing these numbers, would you really have guessed that near a million individuals would download Xenoblade?

Corto

Somewhere at EA/Activision: "More DRM.... MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRREEEEEEEEEE. We're not doing enough! And throw in some online passes for good measure. Just look at the list. No Batman! No Ubisoft games! We need to put DRM in our DRM!"

I'm sure the cracked version of Portal 2 is without a lot of functionality. Games as a service has its perks.
Is that common for pirated games (I know about Batman AA's glide gimp)? stuff being broken or lacking functionality etc. If so, what's the point? a shitty game experience to save a few bucks?

I dunno, I can't really wrap my head around the console piracy numbers... seems like a lot of work to mod them etc.

conman

So Portal 2 is pirated over 3 million times on PC and still had the best sales on that platform?
All that proves is that Portal 2 was a popular game to buy and a popular game to pirate--the jury's still out on the degree to which piracy eats into actual sales.

kswiston

Not surprised to see that all the most pirated PC games have really short campaigns (other than Fifa). Skyrim may have been buggy, but it gave single player people their money's worth. Same is true for the Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: HR, both of which seemed to sell pretty well on PC based on Steam stats.

StuBurns

Banned
Is that common for pirated games (I know about Batman AA's glide gimp)? stuff being broken or lacking functionality etc. If so, what's the point? a shitty game experience to save a few bucks?

I dunno, I can't really wrap my head around the console piracy numbers... seems like a lot of work to mod them etc.

If you play forty games a year, and would otherwise buy them, you've saving $2.4k a year. I can't imagine modding a console is that bothersome.

As for lacking functionality, even if you can't play the co-op, it's not as if Portal 2 isn't worth playing. Those people are still getting an incredible game.

Zomba13

All that proves is that Portal 2 was a popular game to buy and a popular game to pirate--the jury's still out on the degree to which piracy eats into actual sales.

True. Looking at the PC numbers haven't all of those games sold very well? I mean, I know they are all multiplatform but even with the sickening numbers they are all considered successes right?

It would be nice if we somehow managed to turn those numbers into lost sales, like, actual lost sales. Like they played through the pirated version but if it wasn't there they'd have bought it and not trying it out (using it as a demo) and not liking it.

Levyne

Banned
You're assuming that one download = one sale. I would say at least 85 percent of the people pirating games only do so because its free and have no intention to buy them in the first place.

That's the joke.

Unless this is sarcasm and I am the one missing the joke..

Pre

Xenoblade not announced for NA ---> people pirate it ----> gets announced for NA later ----> doesn't sell as well because everyone played it already ----> "that's why we don't bring games over there to you filthy pirates!!"

/nintendo of america

I'm disturbed by how prevalent this line of thinking has become - "Company X isn't going to localize it so I'll just steal it!"

Pirates are the scum of the earth.

You're assuming that one download = one sale. I would say at least 85 percent of the people pirating games only do so because its free and have no intention to buy them in the first place.

Making up statistics is fun!

Levyne

Banned
I'm disturbed by how prevalent this line of thinking has become - "Company X isn't going to localize it so I'll just steal it!"

I dunno how to feel. There was seemingly little hope of it coming over. If the wii was region free anything other than importing would likely seem wrong. But since it required some modding, I guess some semblance of legitmacy was there in some eyes.

atomsk

Party Pooper
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000 downloads)

wait... what?

this is the most shocking thing on the list

Kinda crazy how virtually impenetrable the PS3 turned out to be.

I wonder if any of the future consoles will have the same success the PS3 had in stopping piracy on their system, or at least making it so difficult that it never becomes widespread. I'm sure this is something on the console makers' minds as they contemplate the merits of DD only, cloud, etc.

kswiston

If you play forty games a year, and would otherwise buy them, you've saving $2.4k a year. I can't imagine modding a console is that bothersome.

As for lacking functionality, even if you can't play the co-op, it's not as if Portal 2 isn't worth playing. Those people are still getting an incredible game.

I would hope that a number of those 3 million pirates bought the game for $7.50 during the Steam holiday sale to check out the missing modes.

I think it would be very interesting if it were possible to see a how many copies were pirated by which countries. I think it would vary from game to game, sometimes greatly. But alas, we'll never know. It might be tempting to think that game sales breakdown would = piracy breakdown in the same region, i.e. if a game sells well in a particular territory it will also be pirated heavily there, but certainly in cases like Xenoblade this would probably not be true.

okenny

Banned
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000 downloads)

wait... what?

this is the most shocking thing on the list

It's not surprising really. It's unfortunate but the chances of the average person knowing a geek who knows his way around torrents and FAQs are pretty high. I hot meal, a six pack, or a generous dose of guilt are the honey loved ones use to encourage innocent nerds to perform illegal tasks :(

I'm sure the cracked version of Portal 2 is without a lot of functionality. Games as a service has its perks.

This is why online play is so prevalent now. The biggest fear is losing your account. I can't imagine being banned. This is the direction the industry is heading towards, getting consumers within your ecosystem. Whether it's on IOS devices, Steam. Xbox Live or PSN. The accountability is having your ID in good order all soon to be in the gaming cloud.

Rufus

I wonder how many people downloaded Crysis 2 (and Crysis, for that matter) just as a benchmark, or just to see if they could run it. I liked Crysis well enough, but I can't see how it is more popular than other games on that list. They don't sell that much, or do they?

I'm disturbed by how prevalent the idea of region locking content and then not bringing it to all regions has become.

Companies are the scum of the earth.

Wow those Crysis 2 numbers :( Even if it was 10% lost sales that's ~400k, 5% is ~200k, significant numbers for the PC market. Why pirate COD and BF3? are they playing on custom servers or something? I doubt anyone would pirate BF3 to play the single-player lol

Top Bottom