• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TorrentFreak's List of Most Pirated Games in 2011

Jamie OD

I think it would be very interesting if it were possible to see a how many copies were pirated by which countries. I think it would vary from game to game, sometimes greatly. But alas, we'll never know. It might be tempting to think that game sales breakdown would = piracy breakdown in the same region, i.e. if a game sells well in a particular territory it will also be pirated heavily there, but certainly in cases like Xenoblade this would probably not be true.

That is something that bothers me whenever I read about piracy and illegal streaming numbers. The companies make it sound like it all comes from the one region like America when it is much more of a worldwide thing. I'm not saying the high majority of these downloads are from outside North America but some of it definitely is.

Riposte

Crysis 2 is probably because it got leaked really early and every news site picked up on it.

Ah! That must be. Completely confused as to why Skyrim and MW3 are not the top two.

EDIT: Could it be pirates are slowly losing interest in Call of Duty!? Dead franchise

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah! That must be. Completely confused as to why Skyrim and MW3 are not the top two.

Well, Battlefield and FIFA are both bigger sellers overall than Skyrim, and Battlefield 3 had huge press on the PC version while FIFA for the first time was as good on PC as consoles, so that part isn't too surprising.

Portal 2 being over Skyrim is more interesting, but Valve does have an incredibly large PC audience.

I would guess that Skyrim is probably like 6th though.

motherfuckers...
A pirated game does not equal a certain purchase, we don't know if these are full downloads or partial ones, and there are many people that own the game and have to download it because they can't rip it to play it on emulators/experiment with certain stuff. So at least the Wii numbers are completely unreliable and not representative of real piracy.

NBtoaster

crysis 2 was leaked well before release date. that has at least a little to do with the high numbers. download and play it early, then buy it when it comes out.

The link says that is not the case:

In February, more than a month before its scheduled release date, and advance copy of Crysis 2 leaked on the Internet. Crytek and EA were hugely disappointed and feared a piracy fest, but the opposite was true.

Although tens of thousands of people downloaded a copy, the real boom came when the full version was released in March, resulting in nearly 4 million downloads by the end of the year.

Pezking

Those are only torrent numbers, right?

I guess today even more people pirate by using filehosters, since it's much safer for the one downloading the file...or are torrents still the most popular filesharing method?

So in reality, the number of pirated copies is even higher than listet here, right? Damn...

I think if the Crysis 2 #'s prove anything, it's that a mass majority of pirated copies =/= sales. With almost any statistic like this it's blatantly obvious that a huge portion of people who pirated the game would/could not otherwise legitimately purchase the game. So in that sense I see little reason to even give much theory to these statistics. All it really boils down to is not what percentile of sales were lost, it's how upset can pubs/devs/fans get who rely on sales and participation in the system. The relation to a real world sale is neither here nor there.

Those are only torrent numbers, right?

I guess today even more people pirate by using filehosters, since it's much safer for the one downloading the file...or are torrents still the most popular filesharing method?

So in reality, the number of pirated copies is even higher than listet here, right? Damn...

The really staggering thing about it is that for the most part newsgroups/FXP/Top/misc scene (aka the REAL source of piracy) is never really taken into account in these statistics. They just seem to pick up the numbers where the releases trickle down i.e. torrents/p2p/direct dl/etc. So the numbers are actually even higher, and we're not even really talking about elusive private torrenting places, either.

So the number partial or total, are much higher in reality.

Well, Battlefield and FIFA are both bigger sellers overall than Skyrim, and Battlefield 3 had huge press on the PC version while FIFA for the first time was as good on PC as consoles, so that part isn't too surprising.

Portal 2 being over Skyrim is more interesting, but Valve does have an incredibly large PC audience.

I would guess that Skyrim is probably like 6th though.

Portal 2 has had time to make those number as it was released earlier.

I think if the Crysis 2 #'s prove anything, it's that a mass majority of pirated copies =/= sales. With almost any statistic like this it's blatantly obvious that a huge portion of people who pirated the game would/could not otherwise legitimately purchase the game. So in that sense I see little reason to even give much theory to these statistics. All it really boils down to is not what percentile of sales were lost, it's how upset can pubs/devs/fans get who rely on sales and participation in the system. The relation to a real world sale is neither here nor there.

You would have to put games on the same releasedate to make a valid comparison. You could be right but these numbers don't necessarily tell us that.

Jesus at Xenoblade. Nintendo should've released it in America, fo' sure. (Though maybe the lack of localisation made more people download it?)

besiktas1

What makes me sick is that torrents is only a small portion of the stealing pie, usenet, rapid share etc. It's a problem. A big problem. Then add used games sales... I'm pulling the number out my ass but I'm guessing a loss of at least 10 million sales for some of those games.

Zwei

The really staggering thing about it is that for the most part newsgroups/FXP/Top/misc scene (aka the REAL source of piracy) is never really taken into account in these statistics. They just seem to pick up the numbers where the releases trickle down i.e. torrents/p2p/direct dl/etc. So the numbers are actually even higher, and we're not even really talking about elusive private torrenting places, either.

So the number partial or total, are much higher in reality.

Yeah, I think this is lost on the people who claim these numbers are blown out of proportion.

These numbers are symptomatic of a larger problem.

Negator

I'm not at all surprised at Xenoblade. It seemed like another Mother 3 scenario, so I'm sure most people didn't believe it was coming at all.

I think it would be very interesting if it were possible to see a how many copies were pirated by which countries.

I'm guessing places like Brazil are heavy on the 360 pirates because high end PC components to experiment with their Crysis 2 benchmarks would be pretty out of the price range for most "scumbags" down them sides.

Brera

Banned
I'm disturbed by how prevalent this line of thinking has become - "Company X isn't going to localize it so I'll just steal it!"

Pirates are the scum of the earth.

Making up statistics is fun!

Not defending the guys who pirated it but how else would they play something they want?

Blame Nintendo not the fans

Not defending the guys who pirated it but how else would they play something they want?

Blame Nintendo not the fans

So if someone's budget doesn't allow them to buy a game, is it fine to pirate it since there is no other way to play something they want?

Kayo-kun

good grief@Crysis 2. PC gamers talked all that smack about it, but apparently they accidentally still wanted to play it. But not pay for it. And now they're going to bitch more about Crysis 3 being consolized or whatever when it comes...Gee I wonder why that'll happen.

Yes because every single one of us PC gamers are pirates and are guilty for Crysis 2 being pirated. Therefore we have nothing to complain about as a customer when a new game comes out in the series. Do you even know how much the first game sold?

Also, as already stated, the game got leaked way before it got released. I guess alot of people downloaded it then to try it out before buying it.

Can I just be the first to say "Why did that many people care about Mario Sports Mix?" It's not like it was bad, but... a million downloads? And SS didn't even crack the top five? Pirates are a curious lot.
I almost want to make a joke about "not even pirates care about Skyward Sword..." but that only makes sense in the context of the UK performance of the game.

And didn't know Wii was so pirated. As bad or worse than 360.

I guess thinking about it, makes sense. The main deterrent to piracy on 360 is probably online, and Wii barely has online.
I'd say the fact the 360 requires you to purchase hardware and solder it into the system vs the Wii needing an SD card and following a step-by a step guide is as important as the online point.

Anyone else feel the Xenoblade #'s are somewhat morally justified. Now that I think about it, it's the only case of piracy being morally justified in recent memory. NoA basically said fuck you to Wii customers, who even petitioned and got tons of media coverage about wanting the game...so what other real avenues were available other than import?

My roommate did import Xeno, but I can completely understand anyone who decided to take this avenue. Just me though.
It is difficult to read fully into it. I mean how many downloads would Xenoblade have gotten in the first place? That in itself is an unknown number.

On the other hand you can't help but feel that NOAs behavior helped create this problem. NCL will have to decide some time weather they want NOE and NOA to act independently, leading to wildly different game releases which seems like a waste of localisation resources (then again NOE having the policy of FIGS or bust will further strain their teams leading to more instances of no London life).

On the other hand, I would be curious how many downloads Mother 3 has garnered since release and translation.
Over 100,000 downloads of the patch (source) from the official site (tomato thinks it was at least double).

Is there supposed to be anything changed or added at all for the NA version?
If you're lucky they might Americanise the spellings. I personally hope they do not so you can feel what we usually have to put up with. Oh, I love how inconsistent NOE can be about it too.

What surprises me the most is the amount of BF3 downloads. Seriously the campaign is average at best, it's the multiplayer where it's at.

Vaporak

Making up statistics is fun!

The industry rarely investigates the relation to piracy and sales. It's both a complex topic to talk about academically, but an easy topic to talk about to shareholders and fake confidence about. Those two together give a pretty strong incentive to not seriously investigate piracy and how it impacts different business models. The one time it's been done and reported with open methodology that I'm aware of was for a small indie game and their result was that when they introduced DRM to eliminate piracy, their baseline sales of the game increased by 0.01% of their previous piracy rates. Since their DRM cost them far in excess of that amount, they stopped paying for their DRM and subsequently made more money. Obviously the rates will be different per game, but even having their percentage hundreds of times higher for AAA hyped up games still ends us up with single digit percentages of pirated copies as lost sales, aka tens of thousands of lost sales for multi-million seller AAA titles.

lucius

I knew people were still pirating but didn't think it was that much, plus that does not include people that make copies of discs.

me neither... it wasn't localized, so its more Nintendo's fault than anything.

Of course it was localized. They surely downloaded the European version here.
And if they have the equipment to play pirated games they definitely have the equipment to play import copies, too. There's no way you can justify that.

NCL will have to decide some time weather they want NOE and NOA to act independently, leading to wildly different game releases which seems like a waste of localisation resources (then again NOE having the policy of FIGS or bust will further strain their teams leading to more instances of no London life).

Surely that has to be a better solution than having NOE localising entire games from scratch when there already is a superior US localisation being made? (Hello Advance Wars Days of Ruin Dark Conflict!)

mxgt

Banned
Wow those Crysis 2 numbers :( Even if it was 10% lost sales that's ~400k, 5% is ~200k, significant numbers for the PC market. Why pirate COD and BF3? are they playing on custom servers or something? I doubt anyone would pirate BF3 to play the single-player lol

People probably pirate BF3 to test performance

Of course it was localized. They surely downloaded the European version here.
And if they have the equipment to play pirated games they definitely have the equipment to play import copies, too. There's no way you can justify that.

Yes you can. Spent all the money on PC components.....out of money!

There, that was quick.

Eusis

People probably pirate BF3 to test performance
But for over half a year the choice available was Crysis 2, not Battlefield.

I'd actually be REALLY interested to know how long each of those people played the game, it wouldn't surprise me if for its outlandish numbers that it actually wasn't seriously played by all but a few. Then there's the question of WHERE they lived, though that's more easily answerable. And... yeah, hoping the piracy rates (or imports to a lesser degree) don't mean sales are too low for Xenoblade.

spwolf

No worries guys, no worries. Those are ALL people that wouldn't possibly buy the games in question. There is no lost sales.

plus a lot of people in private trackers and private ftp's that are popular in europe... of course, none of them would buy games usually.

domlolz

Banned
Pirates are the scum of the earth.

Wow, I can't wait to hear what you think about crimes that directly harm/deprive someone!

I'm fascinated to know what culture on earth doesn't see theft as unacceptable.

Not everyone classes it as 'theft'
4fd61.gif
Do you call all your friends that download music thieves?

Also some of the BF3 figures might be alpha/beta versions?

Top Bottom