• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Grain of salt time, perhaps, but MCV people sound super sure of their sources on this in twitter chatter.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/next-xbox-and-ps4-set-for-biggest-ever-e3/089421

Both the Xbox 360 successor AND a follow up to the PS3 will be shown at E3 2012.

Microsoft has long been rumoured to detail its next-gen plans at E3 2012, and recently signalled to partners this will happen, MCV has been told.

But the real surprise is an early move from Sony. Execs at the PlayStation firm have made it clear to third-parties that they will not be left behind this time.

Execs aren’t expecting price or launch details for the new Xbox or PlayStation. But their unveiling could be a perfect spoiler to the pre-Christmas launch date and price that will be revealed for Wii U in June.

Via TheOddOne:

203446452c80aae03d2894b543c746822ce34702.png

I've got 2013 penned in for the release of the new Sony and Microsoft systems, so a 2012 reveal seems likely from where I'm sitting.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
They have the hype roll outs this year, followed by the actual roll outs next one, with releases that Winter. Makes sense. Expect lots of trailers and hype!

Which means some meme worthy magic out of Sony press conf.

I have a feeling if you want to play japanese console games, wii U might be the one to pick up. Japan can barely figure out how to get current gen games out in a timely fashion.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Interested in control interfaces more than the hardware. Hope they'll both focus on that rather than simply put some hardware spec sheets out there.

Thoraxes

If I was making as much bank as MS is with the 360, I wouldn't release that system for at least another 2 years, that is, unless their new system has the same PP as the current 360.

Also, Sony should be focusing more on the Vita and propetiating that. I think their conference will be pretty interesting this year to see how they divide the attention.

adelante

They have the hype roll outs this year, followed by the actual roll outs next one, with releases that Winter. Makes sense. Expect lots of trailers and hype!

Kinda like what Sony did back in 2005....can't wait for those prerendered trailers!!

Xater

If I was making as much bank as MS is with the 360, I wouldn't release that system for at least another 2 years, that is, unless their new system has the same PP as the current 360.

Also, Sony should be focusing more on the Vita and propetiating that. I think their conference will be pretty interesting this year to see how they divide the attention.

Good thing you are not in charge of MS otherwise they would be out of the console business pretty quickly.

MCV being this sure is a good sign. Sony also unveiling their new system is a surprise though. I still remember the Sony guy saying that they still need time. Both new consoles at E3 will make me really happy.

Duh.

Neither of them are going to give Nintendo any more than a year and a half on the market uncontested. They don't want even the off chance of another Wii scenario. Not when the system is within port range.

Atruvius

I want Playbox/Xstation. A console made by Microsoft and Sony together. Think about how good the release games could be: ported Halo 4, God of War 4, Killzone 4. It would really be the console with best games.

never gonna happen :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Good thing you are not in charge of MS otherwise they would be out of the console business pretty quickly.

MCV being this sure is a good sign. Sony also unveiling their new system is a surprise though. I still remember the Sony guy saying that they still need time. Both new consoles at E3 will make me really happy.

I assume Sony will only reveal if MS does... Just so they steal the thunder

If MS doesn't, then it's possible/likely Sony won't either

Just for posterity sake

Considering there have been zero rumours or talk of the PS4, I really doubt it will be revealed.

In response to the next Xbox they might want to cause a distraction, but the PSVita should be their focus and nothing else.

At best I would expect an announcement that it is coming, along with a technical summary of what is possible.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
SONY needs to announce along with MS

It has been LTTP for the last 3 systems, due to competitors and market shifting, and they come out stumbling

PSP
PS3
VITA

If Sony goes the same route as the last 3... yeah

Raide

THREE new consoles at E3. It's going to be the ultimate shitfight this year.

Maybe we should prep now for the 500's...

I think MS is ready to move on but I think the PS3 still has life left in it. Personally I am looking forward to a new generation where they all start out of the gate at the same time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nothing, but Nin has been constantly reminding us that the next Xbox will be released this year.

An initial reveal in June wouldn't really support that idea, though, would it?

Interested in control interfaces more than the hardware. Hope they'll both focus on that rather than simply put some hardware spec sheets out there.

Sony's been trucking along as if they're still in the middle of PS3's cycle, which makes me wonder if PS4 will be of pretty different character. Who knows though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can't wait for E3 2012's E3 2006 loser.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also don't think 3rd parties don't want this

They want a new gen, as much as they say HUGE Budgets, they want to wipe the slate clean and start over, try to put new franchises with new tech and try to corner a market

If your game is a hit, you will have a loyal following and sequels and other things you announce will receive a positive spin

Will Activision finally go out of their way and upgrade their engine and put in effort + money to keep their dominance, or does someone step up to the plate and take the reigns away from them

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just for reference, did we even hear much chatter about PS3 being in E3 2005? Because I have the recollection that nobody was ally expecting a full blown reveal with console hardware design, a huge range of game trailers and even a logo and they pretty much pulled the rug under wall guy (and then undid all that the next year).

Xater

They want a new gen, as much as they say HUGE Budgets, they want to wipe the slate clean and start over, try to put new franchises with new tech and try to corner a market

If your game is a hit, you will have a loyal following and sequels and other things you announce will receive a positive spin

Will Activision finally go out of their way and upgrade their engine and put in effort + money to keep their dominance, or does someone step up to the plate and take the reigns away from them

That is true. A new gen is always a chance for someone to create the new next big thing. Right now we have a couple of big franchises that are hard to beat. having a break out success with a new IP this late is difficult.

Raide

3rd Parties want all 3 home machines to be fairly close in spec so they can produce 1 game and have it on all 3, with minimal tweaking. Probably the reason some 3rd Parties did not do too well on Wii. I am sure fans will also be happy that they are getting an equally good version of multi-platform titles.

Activision with a new engine? I am sure they will try and use what they have but if the jump in tech is good, then they will have to have something new in the pipeline.

Thoraxes

Yeah I know, i'm really eager to stop selling over 2 million consoles during the holiday season too.

Globox_82

Banned
Yeah Sony is going to announce another console when current one is still 249 and their recently released handheld is under performing, makes sense....

Carl

I want Playbox/Xstation. A console made by Microsoft and Sony together. Think about how good the release games could be: ported Halo 4, God of War 4, Killzone 4. It would really be the console with best games.

never gonna happen :(

because less competition is a great thing, right

Top Bottom