• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

duk

Banned
Sony knows WiiU and 720 will be at E3, they have to show something. Prob a nice compilation of WIP games, some real-time and some cgi stuff. Huge boner teaser that will hold the PS fans over til 2nd qtr 2014. me thinks:

Wii U = fall 2012
720 = mid 2013
PS4 = spring 2014

Please no.
Give me one and a half more years please. I'll end up buying them anyway, but I'd like more time with this generation.
Too many good games to play still.

Wii U = fall 2012
720 = mid 2013
PS4 = spring 2014

I'd actually be ok with that.

monome

Sony can deliver a reveal at E3.
But can they launch for Christmas 2013?
Both Sony and Nintendo have to offer a substantial upgrade in terms of OS too, whereas MS is comfortable with Metro/Windows 8.
Is Nintendo willing to go the 3DS road and price the WiiU aggressively in its first year, putting enormous pressure on SONY/MS.

And all the consoles manufacturers have console exlcusives for sure.
But by the time they come out, a mid-size PC will be as much capable and offer a great more deal of possible uses and Steam success leaves few doubts on PCs still getting a lot of consoles ports.
MS is best positionned with Windows to benefit from some players keeping their gaming on PC.
Those new consoles are gonna be rather big from what I gather on the tech threads, so I hope they paid good money to good design firms because undecided potential customers will certainly leverage between Apple/PC and consoles before investing.

Wii U = fall 2012
720 = mid 2013
PS4 = spring 2014

I think Spring 2014 is a death sentence.
Apple is the only player who can prompt crazy sells when it wants.
Nintendo needs Holidays in the West.
MS has no chance outside of the West and needs another win ala Kinect which was launched at the right time and somewhat priced nicely for an until then "revolutionnary" (debatable) tech.

THat twitter is confusing. How come then Sony has so many games in 2012 and new IPs? Shouldn't their devs be working on PS4 by now if that was the case? really confusing.

I think a good argument can be made Sony appears to be "winding down" in 12 just as much as MS (though in MS case it's harder to tell if they're just shifting focus to Kinect).

I mean out of really mainstream noteworthy games that are guaranteed to actually come out, you've basically got Last of Us (which you can easily say the same for the much bigger Halo 4 in MS case) and Twisted Metal. Maybe throw Starhawk in there. A far cry from 2011 in terms of hype factor.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Wii: U will be playable.
NextBox will not be playable but they will have 'tech demos' (hint: CG trailers lol).
PS4: Only an announcement, also CG trailers.

Gonna be an awesome E3. Like every year!

Yeah I know, i'm really eager to stop selling over 2 million consoles during the holiday season too.

I don't get this argument at all. When people say it are they implying MS will stop supporting the 360?
Or the 2 million in sales this late in the game is coming from the trendsetters?
Or have they forgotten about the PS2's continued sales?
Have people never heard of Apple or do they simply not see the strategy employed since launching the ipod?

There are far more reasons to launch while your brand is popular then when it is on the decline. It makes little sense to fall back and wait for your brand to devalue before introducing a successor.

mocoworm

Eurogamer are reporting this now as well:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-06-playstation-4-also-set-for-e3-2012-reveal

"What an odd, waterfall-like situation it would be, if Sony had rushed to dilute Microsoft's thunder - only to discover that Microsoft had itself rushed to dilute Nintendo's Wii U thunder. What fantastic machinery we'd be sold as a result.

If this report does turn out to be true, Sony may have little more to show of PS4 at E3 than target renders and a basic strategy - an announcement rather than a reveal, if you like. Cast your mind back to E3 2005 and the infamous target render footage of Killzone 2 on PS3 for an idea of what to expect."

Toki767

I feel like both Microsoft and Sony already know what their next systems will be. They're just waiting for one to make the first move while continuing to rake in money from their current systems.

Globox_82

Banned
I think a good argument can be made Sony appears to be "winding down" in 12 just as much as MS (though in MS case it's harder to tell if they're just shifting focus to Kinect).

I mean out of really mainstream noteworthy games that are guaranteed to actually come out, you've basically got Last of Us (which you can easily say the same for the much bigger Halo 4 in MS case) and Twisted Metal. Maybe throw Starhawk in there. A far cry from 2011 in terms of hype factor.

God of war 4, nuff said. Besides that might not be all.

Alx

I'm not really excited over specs and impressive target renders, but it would be interesting to see their strategy on different features, like online gaming, digital distribution (or not), controls ans such things.
Oh yeah, and backward compatibility !

duk

Banned
I don't get this argument at all. When people say it are they implying MS will stop supporting the 360?
Or the 2 million in sales this late in the game are coming from the trendsetters?
Or have they forgotten about the PS2's continued sales?
Have people never heard of Apple or do they simply not see the strategy employed since launching the ipod?

There are far more reasons to launch while your brand is popular then when it is on the decline. It makes little sense to fall back and wait for your brand to devalue before introducing a successor.

big time:

fall 2012: 360 $149-199
fall 2013: 360 $99-129
fall 2013: 720 $299-399 (2 sku launch)

I feel like both Microsoft and Sony already know what their next systems will be. They're just waiting for one to make the first move while continuing to rake in money from their current systems.

Both console have been in R&D since the ps360 came out so that is a pretty safe bet.

Edit: Sorry that reads more full of dickbaggery than I mean it to sound.

Xater

Sony knows WiiU and 720 will be at E3, they have to show something. Prob a nice compilation of WIP games, some real-time and some cgi stuff. Huge boner teaser that will hold the PS fans over til 2nd qtr 2014. me thinks:

Wii U = fall 2012
720 = mid 2013
PS4 = spring 2014

If we assume PS4 needs some more time I think this seems more likely:

Wii U = Holidays 2012
Next Xbox = fiscal 2012, so by March 2013
PS4 = Fall 2013

Globox_82

Banned
Yes it is, as they caveat it with their own opinions on the rumour, and opinions of the highest gaming industry websites are what people want to read.

What I meant it doesn't bring anything new to the rumor. It's not like they add their own source. Which in my opinion is not worth posting. Why read same stuff once again?
Feel free to post what ever you want, just to be clear.

plainr_

Wii U = fall 2012
720 = mid 2013
PS4 = spring 2014

Shieet. Sony to miss worldwide launch for the holidays again? Unless you're Apple, launching in spring is just dumb.

Yes it is, as they caveat it with their own opinions on the rumour, and opinions of the highest gaming industry websites are what people want to read.
They aren't reporting anything, opinions on someone else' rumor are fodder and it's disingenuous to say that Eurogamer is reporting something on this.

If they give info from a source backing this up or discrediting it then that would be news.

edit-This is how rumors grow, various sites piggy back off the same rumor and you get people talking about how everyone is reporting it so it must be true.

monome

I would arge that MS is winding down way faster than Sony.
They have Halo 4 which is huge in terms of presence and its possible lasting effect with MP, the rest is filling some gaps (XBLA, Kinect games).

Sony still has God Of War 4, its Smash Bros Thing, Last Guardian and last but not least Last of Us for Q4 2012/Q1 2013.

Don't know wich IP thay can use at PS4 launch, Gran turismo would be a debacle, and Uncharted PS4 in late 2013 is madness.

It just so happens that this rumor makes more than a little sense.

Neither will give Nintendo the market uncontested for any more than a year and a half. That is the latest they can launch without fear of becoming an afterthought. I'd say you're pushing it at a year. Not every system can have the luck the Wii did launching late.

big time:

fall 2012: 360 $149-199
fall 2013: 360 $99-129
fall 2013: 720 $299-399 (2 sku launch)

I wouldn't be all that surprised if the loop/720 launched in fall of this year. MS has a history of doing it (launching) the same year as E3 (announcement).

mocoworm

They aren't reporting anything

They are reporting that the story was run on MVC, therefore giving it weight as Eurogamer are one of the highest level industry sites and don't just post any crap. I am not going to get into an pedantic argument over the definition of 'reporting'.

saladine1

So, are there any Xbox 720 and PS4 mockups floating around then?

As much as i'm interested in the specs and shit, i'm equally eager to see what these consoles are going to look like. I need some 'artistic' references ffs!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hmm, exciting times ahead. Both Sony and MS can afford to release it in 2014, but I guess maybe due to Nintendo they also decided to launch in 2012.

They are reporting that the story was run on MVC, therefore giving it weight as Eurogamer are one of the highest level industry sites. I am not going to get into an pedantic argument over the definition of 'reporting'.

Come on, they "report" on all kinds of bullshit rumors. Them talking about it gives it no more weight.

Most recent example I can think of

Edit- If Eurogamer themselves was actually breaking and reporting this rumor it would hold more weight, but passing along another site's rumor is meaningless.

Ashler

I'd gladly pass on this new generation for a Dark Souls II.

Having said that... Bring on the sexeh new hardware!!!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I don't know about this.

I am leaning more and more to the "one console future" side.

but that means you could get charged $599 for a system they put less effort into. cause you ain't got no alternatives.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm going to be very careful about my next next-gen console choice. I'm not having all three again. It's going to be a one console future in the cyberheater household this time around.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, are there any Xbox 720 and PS4 mockups floating around then?

As much as i'm interested in the specs and shit, i'm equally eager to see what these consoles are going to look like. I need some 'artistic' references ffs!

Wait til April when MS shows the console under NDA to select key gaming press and the European magazines post the images early.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSM3_Magazine PSM3_Magazine
Full PS4 story in the new issue of PSM3 out... today? Is it today? We lose track

PSM3_Magazine PSM3_Magazine
PS4 set for E3 reveal? Yes, like we've been saying mcvuk.com/news/read/next…

-----
OK What the FUCK is going on?!!!

PSM3 has baited with non-stories more than once. Tenner bets that's just a 'what could PS4 be like?!' story.

Chittagong

Gold Member
8813374.jpg

Top Bottom