• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

Raide

Yeah I know, i'm really eager to stop selling over 2 million consoles during the holiday season too.

Its not like they will stop selling 360's. I don't see them dropping 360 as fast as they did for the Xbox. Drop the price, pack in some games make more cash for 720 goodness.

Woffls

Just saw this, and I was expecting something from all 3 this year, but the degree of information that we get on PS4 might not be extensive. I would be surprised if PS4 launched anywhere this year, and I expect the 'early' reveal is down to the other two showing their hand and Sony wanting people to hold out.

Ben Parfitt said:
Obviously we can't reveal our sources. But you have my personal word on this - the source is exemplary, 100% concrete, ultra high level

Seems confident. Guessing it's a publisher.

TheOddOne

Shock PS4 announcement 'set for E3'
New report claims that all three next gen systems will take stage at LA extravaganza
Sony is planning to rock the industry by announcing PlayStation 4 plans in just a matter of months, a new report has revealed.

In a highly unexpected move, Sony executives will head to Los Angeles in June to discuss their next home console at E3, within days of Microsoft doing the same.

This week’s MCV magazine has splashed on its front page “Biggest E3 ever will reveal new consoles”, claiming that Microsoft too will unveil its next generation system at the industry event.

In October last year, Develop revealed that several Sony studios had begun prototyping early PlayStation 4 projects. One month later, PlayStation Europe boss Jim Ryan admitted it would be “undesirable” for the PlayStation 4 to launch later than its rivals.
MCV now claims that Sony has sent the message to third-parties that it will not be left behind this time.

The PS3 launched more than a year after the Xbox 360, and it is believed Sony considers Microsoft had a significant advantage with its head-start.

Develop understands that Xbox Next is to launch in 2013, with PlayStation 4 likely released a year later. It appears Sony is intensifying efforts to narrow the gap between both console releases.

MCV’s report claims that neither Microsoft nor Sony will announce launch details of their next gen systems at E3. But their presence at the event is also designed to steal thunder from Nintendo, which is currently finalising release plans for Wii U.
Dunno how I feel about it, is Sony just ramping up now?

203446452c80aae03d2894b543c746822ce34702.png

Dabanton

Its not like they will stop selling 360's. I don't see them dropping 360 as fast as they did for the Xbox. Drop the price, pack in some games make more cash for 720 goodness.

Pretty much

The Xbox 360 will probably be MS PS2 i.e it keeps on selling well, even after it's follow up is out there. There is no need to kill off the system totally ala Xbox 1.

Plus still plenty of room for price cuts on it so it reaches true impulse buy territory

Jonnyram

E3 2012? Where is the 10 years plan?
Assuming they reach market next year, it's 7-8 years after the current consoles. And the existing consoles will still keep on selling to mass market since the next gen will be too expensive for the first couple of years.

Strike

I expect nothing more than teases to rain on Wii U's big coming out party. Too many major releases on the current gen consoles to indicate that either one of them could be launching before the end of the year (unless they're banking on lots of ports).

Nothing, but Nin has been constantly reminding us that the next Xbox will be released this year.

and also reminded us every single day that it will be shown at CES. (even though it think there is no shot, would love to see a CES reveal happen. I think nin's avatar would spooge out of my monitor right into my eye.)

Does anyone know if the press conference schedules for E3 have been announced? Order of conferences could matter more this year than any other year.

Ranger X

Totally plausible. Wii U released in 2012, other consoles revealed in 2012 and released in 2013. Sounds like a familiar scenario really.

orioto

Good Art™
I guess... the dev of the PS4 is so early and things are probably completly blurry for devs, precise features etc.. but Sony need to send a "WiiU is a joke, wait for the real next gen later" message. That means they may well dive again into the target render bullshot pool.. We'll have to be careful !

Dabanton

All either of those two have to do to regain my custom is announce that all my digital content, Achievements. trophies, friends list and game saves will be moved over Day one on their new consoles along with backwards compatibility and they have my money day one.

It's the one thing Nintendo cannot compete with.

Xater

Does anyone know if the press conference schedules for E3 have been announced? Order of conferences could matter more this year than any other year.

A wild guess: MS goes first, Nintendo follows the next day and Sony is right after that.

Globox_82

Banned
A wild guess: MS goes first, Nintendo follows the next day and Sony is right after that.

Lol like every other year. Sony should switch things, most of journalist are tired and show floor is open by the time their press conference starts. I a lot of them don't even watch it.

I'm not surprised, I've said right along that I believe Sony is probably right there with MS in next gen plans, we'll just know less because they're more secretive due to the culture/language barrier.

And heck, what do we actually know about the next Xbox anyway? Nothing really, for that matter.

Anyway I still find anything more than a XB3/PS4 teaser at e3 12 to be exceedingly unlikely, and I dont even see any reasoning for a teaser, since I steadfeastly believe no earlier than 2013 on both, and I dont see what a teaser accomplishes. I cant rule out a teaser, though. Especially since Microsoft in an interview skirted the subject rather than deny it.

Perhaps the teaser would be designed in response to warding off Wii U "momentum" or something? I still find that dubious.

Jonnyram

I just hope they all do a better job of backwards compatibility and carrying over our digital purchases than this gen. They have to really.

duk

Banned
can't wait for sony's cgi claiming it to be real-time lol

edit: i don't think sony wanted ps3 til 2014 at least, Wii U forced 720 earlier which forced PS4 earlier

spats

If that's actually true, this E3 might be the craziest I'll have witnessed on GAF. Can't wait for the errors and not being able to read any of the threads because they're moving so fast.

THat twitter is confusing. How come then Sony has so many games in 2012 and new IPs? Shouldn't their devs be working on PS4 by now if that was the case? really confusing.

It makes sense if they're not launching in 2012.

Which one again all rests on the premise they would reveal in 12 and launch in 13. Which remains odd, but the only thing I can see happening.

Execs aren’t expecting price or launch details for the new Xbox or PlayStation.

Again, if they were launching in 12 I think we'd get date and price info at E3 for sure. So another indication of no 12 launch at least.

I'm still skeptical all around.

Globox_82

Banned
PSM3_Magazine PSM3_Magazine
Full PS4 story in the new issue of PSM3 out... today? Is it today? We lose track

PSM3_Magazine PSM3_Magazine
PS4 set for E3 reveal? Yes, like we've been saying mcvuk.com/news/read/next…

-----
OK What the FUCK is going on?!!!

RSLAEV

Not getting my hopes up. We'll probably get more 'target renders' like the Killzone Trailer in 2005:

cwWRN.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Someone should find out if Sony have started to hire out the render farms to create all their PS4 "Target Renders".

Globox_82

Banned
Not getting my hopes up. We'll probably get more 'target renders' like the Killzone Trailer in 2005:

I think they learned their lesson since then. All of their demos were in game, something they tend to hype. I doubt they will do it again....I hope not.

duk

Banned
if the big 2 comes out within the same timeframe (6months) again then awesome. machines will be on par again and it'll be up to the services, innovation and s/w again.

i just can't help but wonder how sony will support vita and ps4 launches all within a year of each other. big challenge but reward will be great if they can pull it off.

The develop article (which is playing off the MCV one)

Develop understands that Xbox Next is to launch in 2013, with PlayStation 4 likely released a year later. It appears Sony is intensifying efforts to narrow the gap between both console releases.

Again, much more realistic timelines imo.

And forget target renders even guys, I would guess. My guess is literally an incredibly vague teaser with no footage at all. The only point that makes sense here is a general "hey dont forget we're coming too next gen fans" aimed at Nintendo's Wii U hype.

Again, think Wii U 11 E3 (very little) to Wii U 12 (full blowout) transition, only even less on the initial reveal (far less, as I dont think we'll be playing with any prototype controllers)

Globox_82

Banned
This E3 is going to be amazing.

Hope the servers are ready for this.

I just don't know how Sony plans to fit in The Last of Us, God Of War 4, who knows what else for PS3, then shit ton of Vita, o and yeah you that PS4 rumor? Here it is. In just 2 hours... Sounds like cluster fuck

THat twitter is confusing. How come then Sony has so many games in 2012 and new IPs? Shouldn't their devs be working on PS4 by now if that was the case? really confusing.

Both Sony and Microsoft do, I don't see what's confusing about that. They both have plenty of internal teams, some big enough to handle multiple projects. And then there are independents.

I'm wondering how reliable is MCV, too?

Cant put my finger on it but I seem to remember them being pretty unreliable in the past on some major stuff.

I just don't know how Sony plans to fit in The Last of Us, God Of War 4, who knows what else for PS3, then shit ton of Vita, o and yeah you that PS4 rumor? Here it is. In just 2 hours... Sounds like cluster fuck

Probably the same way they fit way more on PS3, arguably more on Vita (since it was brand new) in at e3 11?

Reminds me of when Sega were supporting the Master System/Genesis/Sega CD/32X/Saturn/Nomad/Game Gear at the same time.

Top Bottom