• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Next Xbox AND PS4 at E3 2012

luffeN

Anyone doing a one console run next generation? What would be your optimal releases for the big three?

I am probably going to buy all of them at launch, if possible. So it would be cool for me if the releases are seperated by about six months so that you can start saving for the next console plus one or two games. Like someone mentioned in this thread, Wii U fall 2012, 720 spring 2013 and PS4 fall 2013.

c05h91c8ku7a5sw57.png

herod

Anyone doing a one console run next generation? What would be your optimal releases for the big three?

If my free time, available TV time and gaming habits remain as they have been for the last couple of years, I'm veering between none at all or just a Wii U.

No freakin Hotels available in the downtown area for e3... Trying to plan for e3. I think I should start a Thread about this.

Either way, I don't expect these new consoles to be playable though at e3.

monome

I've said this a lot in other threads... but if the 360 can get ports from much more advanced PC games, the WiiU should be well within engine portability range. I mean... most PC games are designed to be used on some pretty antiquated hardware anyway. The WiiU isn't that hardware from we can tell. It won't have the power either the PS4 or Loop are likely to have... but in an era where engines are made to play on phones to PC's... it probably won't have to be.

Price war incoming for sure.
It's the Apple cycle applied to consoles. Move aggressively with cool hardware, then milk the shit out of customers while trying to force ways to make them captive to your own ecosystem and thus making purchases on other plateforms become a dilemna.

Could Sony do a repeat of E3 2006?

Are we gonna see Miyamoto conducting again!? Maxtrix KINECT KINECT KINECT KINECT KINECT? I know they'll have a new console but it's still going to be all about KINEEEEEEECT!

MS may dare show a tech demo using Halo or a big Activision title or Gears.
Any of that will keep fans happy.
Kinect 2.0 if a true successor and not a slight amelioration should be kept under wrap some more as it will be a key difference with Sony's system.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Could Sony do a repeat of E3 2006?

Are we gonna see Miyamoto conducting again!? Maxtrix KINECT KINECT KINECT KINECT KINECT? I know they'll have a new console but it's still going to be all about KINEEEEEEECT!

Do you actually believe that 3rd parties want to make money. I've given up on that belief. It comes as no surprise that THQ and EA are in constant trouble.

This is like using your nieces lemonade stand and Pepsi in a sentence talking about the beverage industry. THQ's parents must be so proud!

I'd bet on a CGI demo reel at best for both consoles, or a "work in progress" demo running on target spec PCs.

As long as Nintex is wrong about a 2012 launch, all is right in the world.

deepbrown

This article is from 2010:

When asked about when he thought the PlayStation 4 and ‘Xbox 720′ would be out, Reeves (now Capcom Europe’s COO) told GamesIndustry.biz:

“Two to three years, I reckon so. I don’t have any inside information. All the first-parties have got to be working on something. The tricky thing is when do you put a stake in the ground on technology? That’s the problem. You can be waiting a few extra months to implement something, but you’ve got to set a date to go with a certain chip at a certain point otherwise you’re going to miss the key milestones.”

http://www.psuni.com/ex-sony-ceo-ps4-out-in-two-to-three-years-4083/

And Phil Harrison kind of hinted that they were working on the PS4 in 2008... so it's possible.

Xater

When asked about when he thought the PlayStation 4 and ‘Xbox 720′ would be out, Reeves (now Capcom Europe’s COO) told GamesIndustry.biz:

“Two to three years, I reckon so. I don’t have any inside information. All the first-parties have got to be working on something. The tricky thing is when do you put a stake in the ground on technology? That’s the problem. You can be waiting a few extra months to implement something, but you’ve got to set a date to go with a certain chip at a certain point otherwise you’re going to miss the key milestones.”

http://www.psuni.com/ex-sony-ceo-ps4-out-in-two-to-three-years-4083/

And Phil Harrison kind of hinted that they were working on the PS4 in 2008... so it's possible.

You should have mentioned that the article is from 2010. So yeah the timeframe seems to be right.

GlamFM

Banned
I bet on Sony showing a CGI reel of games that will never come out + a catchy stupid phrase like "It´s powerful enough to control a 3rd world country"

Microsoft will show a lot of CGI for games that actually will come out + HALO 4 gameplay.

monome

[Nintex];34041849 said:
MS will put the Xbox 720/Loop/Fusion/Next/Infnity under the christmas tree this fall.

No, but they could release by Q2/Q3 2013 so they build momentum and get some big titles from 3rd parties for the big Christmas season.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've said this a lot in other threads... but if the 360 can get ports from much more advanced PC games, the WiiU should be well within engine portability range. I mean... most PC games are designed to be used on some pretty antiquated hardware anyway. The WiiU isn't that hardware from we can tell. It won't have the power either the PS4 or Loop are likely to have... but in an era where engines are made to play on phones to PC's... it probably won't have to be.

It depends what you design the baseline around.

Unreal Engine 3 works great on iPhone, but you can't play Arkham City, BioShock Infinite, or Gears of War 3 on one.

Even when we take games like Battlefield 3, they specifically have to lead on consoles to end up being shippable.

Obviously some things transfer much easier (look at CoD on Wii), but that is very far from a guarantee.

Vol5

Games aside, MS need to show something next-gen with regards to Live. Something fresh and appealing while building on their solid community.

Sony have made huge strides with PSN and while it's not up to Live standards, it is free. PS4 is bound to have cross-game chat and party systems, so the pressure is on MS to deliver something more if they want to attract or keep existing customers. This is the fight I'm most interested in.

Then again who's to say Sony won't charge for PS4 PSN benefits!?

Games aside, MS need to show something next-gen with regards to Live. Something fresh and appealing while building on their solid community.

Sony have made huge strides with PSN and while it's not up to Live standards, it is free. PS4 is bound to have cross-game chat and party systems, so the pressure is on MS to deliver something more if they want to attract or keep existing customers. This is the fight I'm most interested in.

Considering Sony have yet to make a profit on PSN, they just might.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Well, Vita has brought new PSN features that bring it more toe-to-toe with the current XBL offering, without accompanying service fees. And they've earlier introduced a subscription service that doesn't pivot on core features, but content.

Who knows what they'll do with PS4, but it seems their current thinking hasn't drifted in that direction. THAT SAID, a new home system would make an easier excuse for a change of thinking there than a new portable, arguably.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In case anyone is wondering why Hermit is missing it's because he was a dupe account, not because of what he was saying.

Please ignore and stay with our regularly scheduled programming.

TheMan

on the one hand, I hope microsoft reveals their system during ces cause i'm hungry for more info

on the other hand, if sony and microsoft both revealed at e3, it would harken back to the glorious e3s of yore: action, adventure, and fanboy meltdowns.

either way, can't wait.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By the wording of the article and some of what Michael French was saying in the Guardian's coverage, I wondered if the PS4 stuff was more expectation-based rather than anything else. But on Twitter, Michael French has indicated that it's based on 'firmer indication' rather than simply expectation that Sony ought to feel obliged to counter MS.

edit - and on a side note, in the Guardian's article, MS and Sony have refused comment - but Sony did note that Vita and PS3 are its priorities for this year.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Man, this E3 is going to be epic. I'm surprised it took them until the upcoming gen to realize that coming out first is a big deal out of the 3. It only makes sense that if you're the first next gen system you'll do the numbers. Not all, but quite a few gamers are tech people, and tech people can't resist the latest shit. Especially if their friends are considering the newest console.

And really, as long as they don't pussyfoot around with backwards compatibility (in other words, it must be 100%), I'm fine with buying new consoles in 2013.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Now only Apple also has to announce their entrance to the console market on this years E³ and the global shitstorm would be perfect.

Vorg

Banned
I wonder if the ps4 and xbox 1080 will actually be able to pull off those Killzone 2 and Halo 3 tech demos in realtime.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hopefully they launch sooner than l later after the WiiU. They shouldn't let Nintendo have a head start and give them a break.

monome

Wii U didn't have a run.

nah...Nintendo is an alien ship, they can resist whatever shit is brought on them.
If I had kids, I would get a WiiU over anything Sony/MS release and would have to deal with it.

I wonder if the ps4 and xbox 1080 will actually be able to pull off those Killzone 2 and Halo 3 tech demos in realtime.

I see them as capable of realising some nice Battlefield 3 graphics, but it's gonna take time before animations go next-gen.
Better textures, aliasing, fps and resolution and I'm good with it for year 1.

Top Bottom