• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)

RedSwirl

The last thread about this game is half a year old so I thought I'd just make one for finding the DC version of the game, which is supposedly the best console version, and also the rarest.

Edit: Version differences for those unaware:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_2#Re-releases_and_ports

Wiki said:
After its initial release for the PlayStation in January 1998, Resident Evil 2 was reissued and ported to other systems, often gaining new features in the process. The first re-release was the Dual Shock Ver., which incorporated support for the vibration and analog control functions of the PlayStation's DualShock controller. Other additions include a new unlockable minigame called "Extreme Battle", and a "Rookie" mode that enables the player to start the main story with a powerful weapon that features infinite ammunition. The Japanese release of the Dual Shock Ver. contained a "U.S.A. Version" mode based on the difficulty level of Resident Evil 2's Western versions.[49]

The Dual Shock Ver. served as the basis for the majority of ports, such as the Windows 9x-based PC-CD release, which was titled Resident Evil 2 Platinum in North America. Aside from retaining all previously added features, the PC version can be run in higher resolutions.[50] A "Data Gallery" was added to the main menu, allowing the player to view movies, rough sketches, illustrations and 3D models.[50][51] In February 2006, a Japan-exclusive, Windows XP-compatible PC-DVD re-release was published. Developed by Sourcenext, it included high-quality FMVs encoded at a resolution of 640×480 pixels.[52][53] The Dreamcast version keeps the additions from the original PC release, runs at 60 frames per second during gameplay, and incorporates real-time display of the character's condition on the Visual Memory Unit peripheral.[54][55] The Japanese edition of the Dreamcast port was given the subtitle Value Plus and came with a playable demo of Resident Evil Code: Veronica.[51] An unmodified port of the Dual Shock Ver. was released for the Nintendo GameCube.[56] The initial PlayStation version was re-released on the Japanese PlayStation Network in 2007, while the service's North American counterpart received the Dual Shock Ver. two years later.[57][58][59]

The Nintendo 64 version of Resident Evil 2 differs most from the other releases. Over the course of twelve months and with a budget of $1 million,[60] Resident Evil 2 was ported to the console by a staff of about 20 employees from Capcom Production Studio 3, Angel Studios and Factor 5.[1][61] This version offers features that were not included on any other system, such as alternate costumes, the ability to adjust the degree of violence and to change the blood color, a randomizer to place items differently during each playthrough, and a more responsive first-person control scheme.[11][61][62] Additionally, the port features 16 new in-game documents known as the "Ex Files",[11][62] written by Tetsuro Oyama.[63] Hidden throughout the four scenarios, they reveal new information about the series' lore and connect the story of Resident Evil 2 to those of the other installments.[11][62] The Nintendo 64 version adjusts its display resolution depending on the number of polygonal models currently on screen, and supports the console's Expansion Pak accessory for a maximum resolution of 640×480 during gameplay.[64][65] Other visual enhancements include smoother character animations and sharper, perspective-corrected textures for the 3D models.[64] The music of the Nintendo 64 version utilizes Dolby Surround, and was converted by Chris Hülsbeck, Rudolf Stember and Thomas Engel.[61] The team reworked the sound set from the ground up to provide each instrument with a higher sample rate than on the PlayStation, thus resulting in higher-quality music.[66] Some features from the other enhanced ports based on the Dual Shock Ver. do not appear in the Nintendo 64 version, such as the "Extreme Battle" minigame.[67]

I just have a couple questions for you guys who have played it:

1) Would you say it's worth $30 today (that's the average used price)?

2) Are there any major differences with the PAL vesrion?

Oemenia

Banned
Its better than all of those, even the GC version was based on the PSone. The PC version is based on the DC game, but being an old game, it has all sorts of compatibility problems.

RedSwirl

ANYWAY, does anyone here think it's actually worth $20+ to track the DC version down when the Dual Shock version is on PSN for $6?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ANYWAY, does anyone here think it's actually worth $20+ to track the DC version down when the Dual Shock version is on PSN for $6?

Honestly? No. Unless your deadset to get the 60FPS which is really only for the truly anal about framerate people, it's just the Dual Shock version with an extra VMU health display.

Chinner

Banned

watch ebay prices and see if its an sought after item or what its average selling price is. if you can resell it again for $20 then yes! think of it is as an investment!

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
4ziMd.gif

Teknoman

Honestly? No. Unless your deadset to get the 60FPS which is really only for the truly anal about framerate people, it's just the Dual Shock version with an extra VMU health display.

Dreamcast version runs at 60? Dont remember it being that way... I should go through it again soon as a refresher.

jwhit28

I only played the GC version, what was wrong with the N64 version? Hi-res, all that extra stuff, randomization, sounds like a good deal.

def sim

I can't imagine the "surround sound" the n64 produces would be any better than setting pro-logic on your receiver for any source inputted.

To me, it just seems like a lot of trouble to get the DC version, when the PSN version is still pretty damn good and can be downloaded so quickly you'll be playing it within a half hour. Plus then you don't have to dig out an old console and have it hooked up to your TV, which for me is a hassle. But of course, your mileage may vary. Maybe your DC is always hooked up anyway, I don't know.

Honestly though, when I play RE2 it's usually on the Wii with the Gamecube version because it looks a lot more clean. But if you have a PSP, that problem pretty much goes away. RE2 on the PSP looks and plays great. (I have so many friggin' versions of RE2.)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I only played the GC version, what was wrong with the N64 version? Hi-res, all that extra stuff, randomization, sounds like a good deal.
I can't fathom how anything on N64 could be considered hi-res. Nothing on that system is in the same stratosphere as anything that could be regarded as "sharp graphics".

The N64 version let you set the control scheme so that you push left and the character moves left, etc.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS WITH EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT EVIL GAME IT WORKED FINE.

entremet

I can't fathom how anything on N64 could be considered hi-res. Nothing on that system is in the same stratosphere as anything that could be regarded as "sharp graphics".

It was 640 by 480, which was high res for consoles at the time. Have you played that version btw?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It was 640 by 480, which was high res for consoles at the time. Have you played that version btw?
I don't need to, I've got the DC version. :trollface

Seriously though, is RE2 a wild anomaly to every other N64 game? Because they're generally a murky mess, even the ones that used the Expansion Pak.

Thinking about it, I never realized it was 60fps last time I played it and presumed it was 30.

Nice, i'm glad that I own it for DC, if only resi 1 was ported to dreamcast also.

RedSwirl

I don't need to, I've got the DC version. :trollface

Seriously though, is RE2 a wild anomaly to every other N64 game? Because they're generally a murky mess, even the ones that used the Expansion Pak.

Yes. They pulled off some technical black magic with the N64 port of RE2. Nevermind it being the largest N64 game.

VerTiGo

Banned
The N64 version was my first RE game ever. Good times. I remember the cutscenes being a mess cuz of all that compression nonsense to fit it on cartridge.

wrowa

Wait they released a version called Dualshock version and it didn't support analog controls?

The Dualshock version supported the control stick, it didn't support analog controls however. It still was just the tank controls mapped to the sticks.

alf717

I like the Dreamcast version since the models don't flicker like they do on the other ports (minus the PC and N64 versions). Too bad they didn't bother to do the same with RE 3. Each port seems to be good in some areas while lacking in others. The only issues I find with the DC version are that 2D sprites are blurry / filtered and the dull gun sounds.

lol @ the people doubting the N64 version without having even played it. Thats the beauty of it, the game should be so shit so some ignorantly just assumes that it is.

Game is a technical marvel and has features that are exclusive and awesome.

GameCube one is the easiest to play for me now-a-days though through the Wii.

Magnus

The Dualshock version supported the control stick, it didn't support analog controls however. It still was just the tank controls mapped to the sticks.

Analog and tank aren't mutually exclusive. Misuse of the terminology here.

N64 version has an option for DMC analog controls. So glorious, don't know why they removed that option from every other RE game after. :((

After a long search, I finally found a copy of the DC version a few months back. It's not worth the extra money, imo. Character models look nice(r) with the VGA adapter, but they stick out from the low res backgrounds. RE2 is hurtin' graphically these days whichever version you get.

cj_iwakura

As an owner of the DC version, I can safely say that yes, DC version is best version, and so worth it. (I have 3 for it as well.)

cvxfreak

I personally prefer the GameCube version of RE2. Skippable cutscenes, one disc, better controller for the game (I seem to always run into walls when using the DC analog stick).

Still, for what it offers, the DC version is excellent.

Luigiv

We need CVXfreak in this thread to give us a definitive answer on the matter.

Edit: Goddamn, beaten by the man himself.

Oemenia

Banned
Id say its worth hunting down the DC version, it looks so much better which goes a long way towards its immersion. The backgrounds on the PSone version are REALLY blurry.

Top Bottom