• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox would be open to Borderlands 2 on the Vita

V_Ben

Banned
So, this was in the Vita western launch thread, didn't want it to get buried.

From kotaku tips about Border lands 2 on vita

bsA0T.jpg

also on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/q4m5g/lets_get_borderlands_2_on_the_.../

I... I would totally buy that to play Borderlands 2 anywhere. Make the online cross compatible with the PS3 version, and you have something awesome. Go on Gearbox, do it.

kuroshiki

So, this was in the Vita western launch thread, didn't want it to get buried.

I... I would totally buy that to play Borderlands 2 anywhere. Make the online cross compatible with the PS3 version, and you have something awesome. Go on Gearbox, do it.

Oh Shit.

I will totally buy it.

yencid

Up voted it on Reddit and also sent emails out.

this is from reddit

SCEA PR email: scea_media_hotline@playstation.sony.com
2k PR email: pr@2kgames.com

here are the emails to the PR depts at 2k and Sony. no idea if PR would be able to do jack, but they were the only non-support emails i could find. I also snail mailed
my emails to:

2k Games
10 Hamilton Landing
Novato, California
94949 United States

and

SCEA
919 East Hillsdale Blvd, 2nd floor
Foster City, CA 94404

the SCEA address is their HR dept, but it was the easiest address to find on short notice. If anyone else has tips or ideas (or better contact info), lets hear em!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"Would be open to the idea" is a far, far cry from "Is developing for..."

Short answer is, they should definitely be developing it for the Vita. It would be silly not to. It could becoming the US Monster Hunter.

But that make sense, so they won't. =P

Duffyside

Banned
It's not coming out at release so might as well not even bother.

It wouldn't? Or are you just assuming that because it seems they haven't started on it yet?

And I didn't even love Borderlands that much and this appeals to me. Seems like a great fit.

yencid

It's not coming out at release so might as well not even bother.

If borderlands 2 is anything like borderlands 1 it will be supported with DLC. so it could mean that it could release with the DLC included.

If it happens of course.

EDIT: And if they have explored it im sure they mean at least messing around with the vita.

JWong

Banned
Make the online cross compatible with the PS3 version

This part is really difficult to do. The Cell architecture is different from the ARM Cortex A9.

I don't know what magic Studio Liverpool did, but it would be even more of a nightmare to do for an FPS.

V_Ben

Banned
This part is really difficult to do. The Cell architecture is different from the ARM Cortex A9.

I don't know what magic Studio Liverpool did, but it would be even more of a nightmare to do for an FPS.

Tell that to Valve with portal 2 ;)

I figured that would be a big ask though :p

kuroshiki

Cross play has nothing to do with CPU architecture. It is all about receiving/sending data.

cyborg009

Banned
Tell that to Valve with portal 2 ;)

I figured that would be a big ask though :p

add this to OP

SCEA PR email: scea_media_hotline@playstation.sony.com
2k PR email: pr@2kgames.com

here are the emails to the PR depts at 2k and Sony. no idea if PR would be able to do jack, but they were the only non-support emails i could find. I also snail mailed
my emails to:

2k Games
10 Hamilton Landing
Novato, California
94949 United States

and

SCEA
919 East Hillsdale Blvd, 2nd floor
Foster City, CA 94404

the SCEA address is their HR dept, but it was the easiest address to find on short notice. If anyone else has tips or ideas (or better contact info), lets hear em!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
DO IT. The more launch day ports on the Vita, the better.

Except the Wii couldn't run UE3. The Vita can, so this wouldn't be the same as bringing a PS3/360 game to the Wii. ;)

It's still significantly less powerful than HD consoles, and it's still not a platform that publishers/developers seem to have much respect for or faith in, so not that different, no.

Weenerz

Banned
If the save file would sync between the pc and vita maybe, doubtful, but that would be my tipping point. BL2 is PC or bust for me otherwise.

Twinduct

Would really enjoy this ... then again I would enjoy any decent lootwhoreing game ... don't judge me.

Anyhoo, e-mailed them for funsies anyway.

therapist

I would buy it on vita over ps3 just to have it anywhere...

I dont even like rpgs but i beat borderlands twice...awesome fuckin game.

JWong

Banned
Cross play has nothing to do with CPU architecture. It is all about receiving/sending data.

All that was explained to me is that floating-point format and integer format don't mix, and the Cell processor performs much better with floating-point calculation than traditional CPUs.

So PS3 data isn't simply just sent to the Vita. It needs to be reprocessed into something it can use.

I think WipEout can do this easier because it only needs to worry about position of the vehicles, but any game with tons of AI or Coop will probably have a lot more trouble.

DiscoJer

Sony needs to open its wallet for this.

Put out a Borderlands 2 Vita Bundle - the game, a Vita, and a 4 gig memory card for $250.

I'd buy it.

All that was explained to me is that floating-point format and integer format don't mix, and the Cell processor performs much better with floating-point calculation than traditional CPUs.

So PS3 data isn't simply just sent to the Vita. It needs to be reprocessed into something it can use.

I think WipEout can do this easier because it only needs to worry about position of the vehicles, but any game with tons of AI or Coop will probably have a lot more trouble.

Format data in a float that is easy for both the ARM and the IBM chip. I know the IBM S/360 format uses 16 as the radix rather than IEEE's radix of 2. I'm not sure whether IBM continued the use of 16.

Even still, (I don't think) that shouldn't play too heavily into this.

I'd be interested if it has cross-play with PS3 users, otherwise the online user base would be too small.

It would be even better if I could play it on both PS3 and PSV for one price, like Motorstorm RC.

Top Bottom