• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I can imagine this being great. I loved the open locations in the first Assassin's Creed but there wasn't anything to do there.

AssassinsCreed_Dx102008-04-0211-15-.jpg

Picture that but more green with trees to climb and George Washingtons to kill, it's perfect.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What a boring setting. Victorian foggy London town would have been an amazing one. I never bothered with the Ezio inter-quels, was saving myself for the genuine 3, but looks like its going to be pretty dry.

As I've mentioned in the rumor threads, my inlaws are rev war reenactors and my father inlaw is the head honcho of the local free masons. So dis gun be good. Can't wait to show it off. I did warn them that they do take liberties but their attention to detail is amazing.

UrbanRats

What a boring setting. Victorian foggy London town would have been an amazing one. I never bothered with the Ezio inter-quels, was saving myself for the genuine 3, but looks like its going to be pretty dry.

I was hoping for the same setting.
Hopefully they're holding on to it for next gen. :\

Thoraxes

Yes, I think you are the only one. :p
D:
You're not the only one, but we'll both be disappointed.

I actually liked the investigation sequences from the first one better than just GTA like missions like in AC2+. Sure, they were boring, but they could've been improved instead of removing them altogether.

edit for clarification: aside from that AC1 was a borefest and AC2 is awesome. I just wish the assassinations had more build up like they had in AC1.

I really wish they would some day add a hard mode in which you're killed in one or two hits. Just add some minimum deterrence to combat, that's all I'm asking...

I wouldn't mind such a reinvention, the best games are made when the devs don't include features for their own sake.

I'm sort of with you. I'm hoping this setting will really shake things up and maybe open up the game a bit.

I mean, they still should have the basic climbing and parkour elements, it's an integral part of the series I think, but I'd be totally down with somewhat of a smaller focus on verticality and massive buildings.
:D

I guess if anything, i'd like to see them focus on horizontal gameplay more. The lands between building in the more recent games were kind of boring, empty expanses.

There only making this game to appease the right wing masses. I bet the end of the game has you traveling through time and staking bin laden through the heart with an American flag. The game then ends with your charecter, while still out of breath saying "mission....accomplished"

Eminem's newest song then starts playing over the end credits

Well I'm in. It will be the first interesting game in the series in a long while. I only liked the first game. It should feel good to get out of the city setting.

There only making this game to appease the right wing masses. I bet the end of the game has you traveling through time and staking bin laden through the heart with an American flag. The game then ends with your charecter, while still out of breath saying "mission....accomplished"

Eminem's newest song then starts playing over the end credits

That would be badass.

Shito

Revelations and then this setting killed the serie for me, sorry guys.
I'm with the ones thinking that the French Revolution or Victorian London should have been the next destination; this is just plain boring and not fitting at all.

Ubi doesn't seem to understand that along with the big gameplay overhaul, one of the strongest point of AC2 over AC1 was its immense artistic background. I'm as tired of the Italian Renaissance in AC as the next guy, but the American revolution is going to seem so empty and boring compared to that.

But hey, what can I say: I hate the countryside.

Xun

The race that came before (call them aliens or just ancients, it doesn't matter) created humans in their own image to serve as slaves to serve them, using their own DNA. Both races lived in a huge, technological city called Eden, where the Ancients used their technology to control the humans.

Adam and Eve were different. Something in their DNA allowed them to resist the powers of the Ancient's technology... a skill that has since been passed down to the Assassins and showcased by both Altair and Ezio. Adam and Eve stole a piece of the Ancient technology and fled Eden. This act of rebellion led to the war between the humans and the ancients.

Before the war could end the EVENT happened, and destroyed Eden along with the ancients, leaving the humans to inhabit Earth.

We still don't know what the event was, or why it caused the vast majority of human kind to 'forget' their origins and instead interpret the past as popular/biblical myth.

But apparently, it's going to happen again in 2012.... right around the same time the Templars are planning to launch Eden technology on a satellite with the plans of using it to control/influence the minds of the entire globe.

Both Desmond and Subject 16 are descendants of Adam and Eve, which is why they have Eagle Vision and make for particularly potent Animus subjects. They are, essentially, the last known direct line back to the Ancients that created humans.

Subject 16 has stated that Eve's DNA is the key. We don't know why yet, but it likely has something to do with their original ability to resist the control of the ancients.
I never bothered to play Assassin's Creed but this shit sounds deep.

Lime

Yeah, this setting makes me seriously pessimistic of buying the game. Obviously I'll give Ubisoft the benefit of doubt and wait and see whether or not they'll do something interesting.

But the presumable themes and the iconic imagery we are seeing so far have me seriously worried. They are all so cliché and for someone as critical of patriotism/nationalism as me, the art work really puts me off.

Also, architecture is (imo) supposedly pretty shit compared to what could've been Victorian-Era London or 18th Century Paris or Moscow.

Shtof

Is it confirmed that Washington is a villain? And is it confirmed that protagonist is an half-breed?

Arucardo

I hope it has some nicely designed forests. Would be pretty cool to climb trees and jump from tree to tree when following a target or something like that.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm still hyped over the main character. That jacket is badass as all hell, and the possible Native American story aspects really peaks my interest. That single picture has vaulted this to my second most wanted game (only behind Mass Effect 3 at the moment).

overburning

Neo Member
The thing that bugs me the most in AC is that ever since Brotherhood, the series' just plain black and white with everything Templars do = evil and everything Assassins do = good, hopefully it will be different this time.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
what if the founding fathers are like a radical offshoot of templars who are making a power grab in america

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hype get but I'll try to do like I did with Brohood and Reveleations and go for a semi-media blackout for this from the start. Will be hard to resist though.

I said this in another AC thread sometime ago, but I'm pretty much down to whatever setting they choose for the series. The amount of research and effort that goes into recreating the locations, filling the database and just making sure everything fits is just great. I can't see the team choosing an era and place while thinking "yeah this is kind of boring I guess but let's use it anyway" for the third game, I'm positive they have a load of surprises up their sleeves.

MacBosse

Isn't it obvious why they chose the american revolution over the french?

First was the american revolution, then came the french. Sequel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
American Revolution... :/

... :/

I'm not sure if I'm okay with this.jpg

2012: AC3: American Revolution
2013: AC3-1: Washington, D.C.
2014: AC4 for next gen: current/near-future city setting w/ cliffhanger & guns (final Templer vs Assassins fight)
2015: AC4-1: Real conclusion of the series

(+ DLC episodes. Also more games depending on release of next gen consoles and success)

After the first two games I hoped they would go into all kinds of interesting eras (as in, not that often featured in media). Like B.C.-Egypt, feudal Japan, China during unification, Russia during Tsarist autocracy etc. etc. etc. I would buy those just to see a recreation of the cities/the "daily life" of those people.

Brotherhood already burned me out big time on the series. I'm happy AC3 will finally continue to a different time etc., though this setting is not my first choice to say the least.

btw, I wonder if they will change the gameplay for AC3, from my impression the US cities during that time were quite open&ordered. Not sure if that works with the gameplay style of the previous games. Maybe they will focus more on the rural areas.

I really wanted the French Revolution. Having studied the time period, I would have loved to Paris throughout the years, with different factions rising and falling. It would have been so rich in terms of potential scenarios and plotlines.

I really wanted the French Revolution. Having studied the time period, I would have loved to Paris throughout the years, with different factions rising and falling. It would have been so rich in terms of potential scenarios and plotlines.

That would require actual thought and a coherent intertwined plot of fact and fiction. Clearly out of the realm of Ubisoft.

I would have preferred London myself, but as they say, all good things must come to an end.

Alrix

Very interesting. It's cool that they're getting away from larger European type cities and into more small towns and open land. Like was said I see a lot of Red Dead type stuff in here, I never played Metal Gear Solid (planning on doing it eventually) but is there a lot of outdoorsy-stealth in that game? Like wilderness type? Taking AC out of a big bustling city could be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom