• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

At least he spends his billions on something cool and useful instead of a hundred gold cars or something.

equap

Banned
wow so many questions!

who makes the battery assembly? how is it pressure compensated? what about the propulsion system?? tungsten sliding weights for pitch control?? Titanium sphere like the Alvin? but that's only rated to 6500m.

this is so cool!

Lkr

what is with all the hate on James Cameron? I mean Avatar wasn't the greatest movie of all time, but by no means was it really a bad movie...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
This is really cool. Is he planning on moving around, or is he going to sit in one place? I hope the lights don't scare away any potential animals.

relaxor

what?
so they did it in the 60's but we haven't done it since...

Let's bring some more of that can-do Kennedy spirit!

EDIT:

Anyway haters (such as myself) be damned, stuff like this is pretty cool. Good thing for Cameron to do with his money without going straight philanthropist.

totowhoa

Banned
Oh man... the footage from this is going to be amazing. Good luck to all involved; I hope there aren't any complications.

All I can think of is the Abyss, and Cameron down there typing this out:

"Knew this was a one way ticket, but you know I had to come."

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Knowing what could happen with a breach at these depths is terrifying. Also, being confined in a solitary space is bad enough but being confined to a space where it'll take hours to actually return from and get out of... even worse.

Bruiserk

I don't understand why he gets to go down and not some high caliber scientist. Does he do work in the field that I don't know about?

I don't understand why he gets to go down and not some high caliber scientist. Does he do work in the field that I don't know about?

He can pay for it himself, I guess.

Anyway, Cameron should just die already... he hasn't done anything worthwhile in 21 years...

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
The balls on this man. In case anything happens (non-immediate implosion-related), there's no way the footage can be redeemed right?

It would be badass if he was never to be heard from again only to reemerge when he hears Justin Lin was tapped to helm Avatar 2.

He paid for the damn thing so he can do what he wants.

And yes he has a longstanding and well known obsession with deep ocean diving.

As for reasons to hate him, I find it hard to forgive what he did to Legend of Korra.

Cyrillus

He can pay for it himself, I guess.

Anyway, Cameron should just die already... he hasn't done anything worthwhile in 21 years...

Wow, really? What have you done "worthwhile" in the last 21 years, that makes you think you are more entitled to life than Cameron?

He's looking for R'lyeh.

Seriously though, that's fucking cool. I've always loved how Cameron throws so much money at exploring the "local outer space", i.e. the deep ocean. Can't believe he's in a billionarie's race with Branson. Go 1%!

(He's also seemingly the only filmmaker alive who can film a "water movie" and not have disastrous consequences to the budget.)

I love the fact that this is a competition. I actually like Cameron's sub much more than Branson's.
Cameron's
[IMG ]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/md4f4cdd03.jpg[/IMG]
Branson's
article-1373813-0B7E96B800000578-652_634x319.jpg

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/qk4f4cdd0d.jpg
edit:
Though none of those is more iconic than the Trieste if you ask me.

Wow, really? What have you done "worthwhile" in the last 21 years, that makes you think you are more entitled to life than Cameron?

Nothing whatsoever... But I'm not contributing towards the dumbing down of modern cinema, am I? It annoys me that someone as talented as him became so centered on greed. He made more than enough money while he was making movies with character, it just strikes me as a very weak-spirited decision to willingly venture into the soulless blockbuster void when he could've kept going. In short, he lacks the integrity that his talent deserves.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Nothing whatsoever... But I'm not contributing towards the dumbing down of modern cinema, am I? It annoys me that someone as talented as him became so centered on greed. He made more than enough money while he was making movies with character, it just strikes me as a very weak-spirited decision to willingly venture into the soulless blockbuster void when he could've kept going. In short, he lacks the integrity that his talent deserves.

ONLY DEATH CAN RECTIFY THIS.

Kerrby

Banned
How do we know the Mariana Trench is the deepest part of the ocean?

Also will we find shit like Cthulhu down there?

Risette

A Good Citizen
This post is very confusing.

This post is very confusing.

How so?

Seriously??! Shame on you.

What? Come on, be honest... this is the guy who made Aliens, the Abyss and Terminator 1 and 2... ever since T2 he's graced us with a mediocre action comedy (true lies) a melodramatic disaster movie (titanic) and a mind-numbing Pocahontas remake. Anyone who even tries to refute that his film making career has gone from admirable and respectable to unimaginative poopoo that's easy to swallow is in denial.

Wow dude you're so cool you're like the first to point this out haha so clever. It's also like Dances with Wolves and Ferngully don't forget!!!

Right, 'coz everybody knows truths are only relevant when first announced/discovered. You're so good at sarcasm. *insert bender video*

Seriously, the saddest part is... the original script was amazing... but no, they had to dumb it down to the point of rendering it braindead just so it wouldn't repel audiences. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom