• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgon

serious question: what are the chances of finding life down there, with the insane conditions such as no light, the temperature and that unimaginiable pressure?

The Swiss-designed, Italian-built, United States Navy bathyscaphe Trieste reached the bottom at 1:06 p.m. on 23 January 1960, with U.S. Navy Lieutenant Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard on board.[6] Iron shot was used for ballast, with gasoline for buoyancy.[6] The onboard systems indicated a depth of 11,521 m (37,799 ft), but this was later revised to 10,916 m (35,814 ft).[11] At the bottom, Walsh and Piccard were surprised to discover sole or flounder about 30 cm (1 ft) long,[11] as well as a shrimp.[12] According to Piccard, "The bottom appeared light and clear, a waste of firm diatomaceous ooze".[11]

Also, we know there are bacteria and archaea down there. Google is your friend.

EDIT: beaten.

tino

Banned
With all said, this is very educational way to spend one person's wealth. You guys should give him some credit.

Ithil

what is with all the hate on James Cameron? I mean Avatar wasn't the greatest movie of all time, but by no means was it really a bad movie...

Because they heard from some news stories he declared himself Supreme Emperor of Earth at the Oscars or something and is like, arrogant, probably.

As you know, if any successful person has any kind of ego, their body of work is automatically terrible.

iirate

I never thought I'd be excited for one of Cameron's projects, but this is fucking cool. I wish you luck, you crazy bastard.

Because they heard from some news stories he declared himself Supreme Emperor of Earth at the Oscars or something and is like, arrogant, probably.

As you know, if any successful person has any kind of ego, their body of work is automatically terrible.

That's not it for me, at all. I've just never been impressed by any of his works. I loved Alien, and then watched Aliens right afterwards and was underwhelmed. Terminator was similarly disappointing, and Avatar, for all of its technical showiness, ended up being a very sterile film. No personal hate for the guy, in fact what the little trip of his is earning some points for him, but his movies aren't my thing.

Ithil

It's now called The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra because Cameron is a twat.

You do know any of this "BLAME CAMERON!" nonsense was pulled out of thin air in the first place? People like to pretend there was some massive law suit over the name personally headed by Cameron, but in reality I've never seen a single source that indicated any legal action has ever taken place over the Avatar name for the film and the series.

The film had its name changed well in advance of Avatar ever coming out, and not on any order by Fox, they changed it to avoid confusion. Now that Avatar is such a high grossing film, they are keeping up the name change in the US (not anywhere else, it's still Avatar: Legend of Korra here in Europe, for instance).

The sheer whining I see directed at Cameron because they saw a name change and assumed he was personally is irritating. Then they get childish about it and, based on this random assumption, start bashing Cameron's work and hobbies because...he has work and hobbies and they don't like him.

Real mature stuff here.

Kinyou

It was originally going to be a two man vessel, though every single report over the last few months has said it is now a one man dive. Cameron is going it alone.
Dude is insane, at that kind of depth he wouldn't even notice anymore if the craft imploded.

It's funny watching the whole Cameron fanboys community get offended when people make fun of him. In a certain perspective, I think it's pretty evident that the guy is at least a little pathetic. I'd have thought Titanic and Avatar, both announced revolutions that ended up being cliched, pandering pieces of shit, would actually have generated more James Cameron haters.

To be honest, I think a real scientist should go. And I think it WOULD be kinda funny (or at least very ironic) to see a billionnaire that's full of himself and drunk on his own "explorer" image pay billions of his own dollars to die at the bottom of the sea. There's a huge difference between James Cameron and, say, Neil Armstrong, for instance. I hope you guys realize this.

I'd also see a lot of irony in Virgin Galactic bringing Branson or other millionaires to die in a crash, or whatever. I mean, going into space for sheer fun because you can pay millions and then crashing back down to earth in a metallic womb is ironic.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It's funny watching the whole Cameron fanboys community get offended when people make fun of him. In a certain perspective, I think it's pretty evident that the guy is at least a little pathetic. I'd have thought Titanic and Avatar, both announced revolutions that ended up being cliched, pandering pieces of shit, would actually have generated more James Cameron haters.

To be honest, I think a real scientist should go. And I think it WOULD be kinda funny (or at least very ironic) to see a billionnaire that's full of himself and drunk on his own "explorer" image pay billions of his own dollars to die at the bottom of the sea. There's a huge difference between James Cameron and, say, Neil Armstrong, for instance. I hope you guys realize this.

Why would we realize an opinion, and not a very good one?

Im responding to the entirety of your post, thus full post coverage in my quote. And i do think Armstrong and Cameron are different.
My "I hope you guys realize this sentence" was to be applied to the sentence before it, as is usual in the english language. Good god, the sensitivity.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
any thoughts on why the article was pulled?

read: conspiracy theories please.

Maybe he read the posts in this thread taking the piss and has gave up on everything. Curse you GAF!

Possibly Aliens.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Nothing whatsoever... But I'm not contributing towards the dumbing down of modern cinema, am I? It annoys me that someone as talented as him became so centered on greed. He made more than enough money while he was making movies with character, it just strikes me as a very weak-spirited decision to willingly venture into the soulless blockbuster void when he could've kept going. In short, he lacks the integrity that his talent deserves.

I didn't think Avatar was a 'soulless blockbuster' that contributed to the 'dumbing down of modern cinema.' But I do love it when people consider their unpopular opinion to be empirical fact. Keep on keeping on!

Well, between this thread and the Game of Thrones is cheap on Blu thread, Oxigen_Waste is already making a name for himself. And not in a good way.

I don't mean to come into this thread and waste a post space by saying this, so anyone can feel free to ignore it...

But I could really care less about James Cameron or anything he is doing, even if it is diving to the bottom of the ocean. (mainly because I know it will just lead to another mediocre movie.)

He's been dead to me since T2

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think Avatar was a 'soulless blockbuster' that contributed to the 'dumbing down of modern cinema.' But I do love it when people consider their unpopular opinion to be empirical fact. Keep on keeping on!

Of course it works both way. People see how much money it made and use that as proof that its good and opinions to the contrary are wrong.

I don't mean to come into this thread and waste a post space by saying this, so anyone can feel free to ignore it...

But I could really care less about James Cameron or anything he is doing, even if it is diving to the bottom of the ocean. (mainly because I know it will just lead to another mediocre movie.)

He's been dead to me since T2

If you didn't mean to come into this thread and waste a post space ... you wouldn't have. You knew what you were doing, but thanks for sharing!

That being said, I can't wait to see pics of this voyage.

Of course it works both way. People see how much money it made and use that as proof that its good and opinions to the contrary are wrong.

My only issue with the movie (though I certainly can see where others might find many others) was that effectively, Jake tamed a creature that few Na'vi had ever done ... by going up. This was the jist of his entire strategy. I mean we are to believe that these people couldn't figure out go higher without this human? So yeah... there's that.

He's been dead to me since True Lies

Fixed that for you, so now we can agree.

James Cameron and his aquatic fancy have been dead to me since Titanic, which also made buckets of money. So somehow I gotta be wrong. :p

Hopefully nothing happens to him on his field trip. Unless it's something awesome like a giant octopus eating them. :O

James looks like someone wanting to discover something NO ONE ELSE has ever discovered.

Would not be surprised if he ventures off into space exploration

As I posted earlier in the thread, less than a decade ago he was supposed to go into space with the Russians before the mission was pulled at the last minute. He is on the NASA advisory council and is one of the main benefactors of the Mars Society.

Black-Box

stupid idea when you think about it.

humans should stop going going down that deep, since we can only last for so long, the chances of finding something is smaller than having a robotic sub that can last for days.

humans should stop going going down that deep, since we can only last for so long, the chances of finding something is smaller than having a robotic sub that can last for days.

I want to slap you for being so ignorant. It is amazing how many people will spout off any bullshit - fully aware that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Kyaw

With that kind of thinking, we won't get anywhere.

Casp0r

Banned
Funny if Cameron announced plans to fly to a new planet, I recon all these haters would be on their knees for him.

The bottom of the sea floor isn't quite as appealing as an alien planet amiright.

Puddles

Banned
I've always just assumed he is a joke character still trying to make people pay attention to him.

Doesn't he write for a film magazine in Montreal or something? I don't think I've ever agreed with any of his opinions, but he must watch a lot of films at least.

Funny if Cameron announced plans to fly to a new planet, I recon all these haters would be on their knees for him.

The bottom of the sea floor isn't quite as appealing as an alien planet amiright.

If James Cameron discovered a new planet and had the means to go there I'd pronounce him winner of all things.

Casp0r

Banned
If James Cameron discovered a new planet and had the means to go there I'd pronounce him winner of all things.

He already did.

It was called Avatar.

m-night-shyamalan(2).jpg

How does the machine work that can withstand that much pressure?
I believe this is what he will be using

The Triton 36,000 Full Ocean Depth Submersible's pressure hull
utilizesRayotek’s patented manu-facturing process and proprietary
technologies to produce a sphere of high-strength specialty glass.
Glass has been successfully used in deep submergence for more
than 40 years and some spheres have been rated to almost
30,000 ft. (9,000 meters).

Rayotek’s proprietary technology is capable of overcoming previous
manufacturing limitations and producing perfect spheres of sufficient
diameter to accommodate three occupants. By incorporating no
metallic elements or through hull penetrations in the pressure
boundary, the design takes advantage of the fact that up to a very
high limit, glass becomes stronger with greater compression.

I pay for that shit. Here's hoping he gets some decent footage of living things.

Goron2000

best junior ever

I'd also see a lot of irony in Virgin Galactic bringing Branson or other millionaires to die in a crash, or whatever. I mean, going into space for sheer fun because you can pay millions and then crashing back down to earth in a metallic womb is ironic.

Cameron has the money to do it, Scientists do not. What's the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom