• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk appreciation thread of neon lights and computer chatter

Man, that looks awesome. Never heard of this game.

Worth checking out if you like adventure games with cyberpunk theme. It was released on PC and SegaCD too.

Rise of the Dragon is a futuristic first-person adventure game. The game's visuals are reminiscent of a comic book, with digitized photos of actors and hand-painted backgrounds. Unlike most other adventure games of the time, it relies less on inventory puzzles and more on specific choices made by the player. The game has an internal clock and requires the player to plan the protagonist's moves ahead in order to be in the right place at the right time. Dialogues with multiple choices are utilized as a gameplay tool; a wrong choice will often lead to a premature end of the adventure.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/rise-of-the-dragon

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
980675291-00.jpg

980675835-00.jpg

1079488456-00.jpg

Sallokin

Do any of the main services sell Blade Runner? Or is it something I"m going to have to track down through amazon marketplace/ebay?

Zeliard

Do any of the main services sell Blade Runner? Or is it something I"m going to have to track down through amazon marketplace/ebay?

You gotta buy a boxed copy but you can find it for like $10.

Another one of those gems that badly needs some digital distribution.

Phandy

Cyberpunk is probably my favorite genre. Need to get into E.Y.E and Gemini Rue, I picked em up at christmas and ain't played em.

Mr Dead End Thrills has some really lovely screens of Deus Ex: HR over here:
http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=268

Also the biggest travesty of modding for many years;
the creators of all this just let it die. Neotokyo just needed a gun mechanics overhaul and it could of been REALLY good, the game mode they had was very interesting, it could of been great with some tweaks.
So sad :(

http://www.neotokyohq.com/media/nt_map_mahkito_wide.jpg

http://www.neotokyohq.com/media/nt_map_maws_wide.jpg

http://www.neotokyohq.com/media/nt_map_okujou_wide.jpg

Edit - looks like it threw a wobbly hotlinking - left the links behind.

i played this game a lot as a clueless young teenager.

105-1.jpg

only a few years later when i finally saw blade runner did i understand that a whole genre of this entertainment exists.

it plays about as well as an interactive movie game from the mid-90s in a cyberpunk setting would.
which mean it's awesome in the shittiest way possible.

228798-angel-devoid-face-of-the-enemy-dos-screenshot-selina-ss.png

228794-angel-devoid-face-of-the-enemy-dos-screenshot-bums.png

228804-angel-devoid-face-of-the-enemy-dos-screenshot-bounty-hunters.png

Angel Devoid Playthrough Pt. 1/9

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You gotta buy a boxed copy but you can find it for like $10.

Another one of those gems that badly needs some digital distribution.

It's unfortunately stuck in licensing hell like the System Shock series. :/

MrOogieBoogie

Cyberpunk is probably my favorite genre. Need to get into E.Y.E and Gemini Rue, I picked em up at christmas and ain't played em.

Mr Dead End Thrills has some really lovely screens of Deus Ex: HR over here:
http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=268

Also the biggest travesty of modding for many years;
the creators of all this just let it die. Neotokyo just needed a gun mechanics overhaul and it could of been REALLY good, the game mode they had was very interesting, it could of been great with some tweaks.
So sad :(

nt_map_mahkito_wide.jpg

nt_map_maws_wide.jpg

nt_map_okujou_wide.jpg

Speaking of NEOTOKYO, you guys should check out the recent free-to-play shooter Blacklight: Retribution.

I've given it a whirl and really like the aesthetic. It's heavily reminiscent of NEOTOKYO.

No mention of the Dead Space series? I felt the future tech in the games were very cyber punk.
dead space is too horror-futuristic for me to consider it cyberpunk. there's no emphasis on hacking, technology usurping man as the dominant species, corporate greed, or all the aesthetic trappings of cyberpunk (grungy urban zones, rain, neon, etc etc).

Maybe not the most apparent but I always counted WipEout as cyberpunk.
WOXL/2097 is definitely cyberpunk in a unique way. the other entries stray from the gritty/abrasive aesthetic a little too much i think. from the time i spent with 2048, it reminds me way more of WOHD than anything else, very clean style.

hym

Banned
When I first saw Akira in the early 90s, I instantly wanted a video game based on the motorcycle chase scenes, Road Rash came close gameplay wise but without all the stylistic elements that make it cyberpunk it never really connected with me, which WipEout instantly did.

I do think 2048 is a bit of a missed opportunity to go more extreme into a low life cyberpunk direction, grittier, illegal racing, gangs rather than companies, maybe improvised weapons. But I suppose that's still me hoping for an Akira racer.

IPFZL.jpg

Perhaps the XL/2097 intro sequence shows best how far they initially wanted to go into a cyberpunk environment but weren't able in-game due to the all the Playstation limitation and after the first 3 games it all became a bit too clean and space-age rather than cyberpunk but still great games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuFnFQQ_pI

Ivan

When I first saw Akira in the early 90s, I instantly wanted a video game based on the motorcycle chase scenes, Road Rash came close gameplay wise but without all the stylistic elements that make it cyberpunk it never really connected with me, which WipEout instantly did.

I do 2048 is a bit of a missed opportunity to go a bit more extreme into a low life cyberpunk direction, grittier, illegal racing, gangs rather than companies, maybe improvised weapons. But I suppose that's still me hoping for an Akira racer.

IPFZL.jpg
And I want Sony Studio Liverpool to make a big-budget cyberpunk game....

Let me know when you find info on that puppy after August of last year. I'm getting pretty concerned at this point.

Responding via Twitter to a question from another developer, Prey 2 lead graphics programmer revealed that publisher Zenimax forced developer Human Head to cancel all talks relating to the game at this year's Game Developers Conference. "Yes, Zenimax forced us to pull all Prey2 related talks from GDC. I'm pretty devastated by the news. This was to be my first conf talk." He explained over a series of tweets.

:/

http://www.1up.com/news/reasons-zenimax-cancel-prey-2

Roth

Banned
For me, I really like scenes with mechs and circuitry with a certain amount of light source(s). I also like having a wide-angle view of how this fictional city may look.. Here's a short music video clip of Jpop queen, Ayumi Hamasaki in a track called Connected:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStLf2j00T4
As you can see, it's got a sort of AKIRA influence..

Here's a feature on IGN Rewind Theater where they analyze the Unreal Engine 3 tech demo of Samaritan running in real-time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq1wUEkkEw8
Strikingly similar to Bladerunner, I love those dark, wet scenes of the futuristic city at night where the street lights, electric signs, electronic devices are your only sources of light.

news_samaritan-640x300-e1300964641269.jpg

unreal_engine_samaritan.png

I won't try to stray too far into Film Noir which is a similar style that I also happen to like, but I do remember there being a game called Enter the Matrix, which was based on, you guessed it, The Matrix. Here's the trailer for that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQITNRegxwk

The Matrix Online trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqk7HtdKH90

..and another video game, The Matrix: Path of Neo:
the-matrix-path-of-neo-20051028070316327.jpg

As someone mentioned earlier, Mass Effect 2 has some really nice scenes. I really liked that club scene, and when you step outside, you get a small view of the city:

I'm sure there are plenty of sci-fi games like Star Wars The Old Republic that would have similar designs as such.

Lastly, I can't stress how much I love the computerized world of TRON and TRON Legacy.
This is absolutely one of my favorite scenes of the latest movie where Flynn's son discovers his dad's old arcade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO5qq1XN64M

Flynn gets digitized:
DigitizingKevin.jpg

830px-Computer_world.jpg

830px-Tron_legacy_city_2.jpg

// Roth

MrOogieBoogie

If we're counting Wipeout, how about F-Zero GX?

Some great futuristic track designs in that one:

i_2210--article_image.jpg

Qwomo

EYE: Divine Cybermancy came out recently, great game. It's one of the most underrated games in a while because it's so deliciously obtuse and nonsensical. Some really great environments, especially the central hub.

Phandy

Speaking of NEOTOKYO, you guys should check out the recent free-to-play shooter Blacklight: Retribution.

I've given it a whirl and really like the aesthetic. It's heavily reminiscent of NEOTOKYO.

Looks great, might even be good. But man, that Perfect World client, blluuerggh, it even comes with Pando Media Booster. Nothing makes me want to uninstall it faster.

Oh man, I really need to go start playing E.Y.E. now.

MrOogieBoogie

dead space is too horror-futuristic for me to consider it cyberpunk. there's no emphasis on hacking, technology usurping man as the dominant species, corporate greed, or all the aesthetic trappings of cyberpunk (grungy urban zones, rain, neon, etc etc).

WOXL/2097 is definitely cyberpunk in a unique way. the other entries stray from the gritty/abrasive aesthetic a little too much i think. from the time i spent with 2048, it reminds me way more of WOHD than anything else, very clean style.

Dead Space 2 certainly has a lot of cyberpunk-influenced environments, more so than the first game I believe. Wish I had some screens at hand, but I don't. Anyone care to contribute?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)

Similar scene from Deus Ex: Jensen's apartment.

deusex.jpg

I'm also a big fan of everything cyberpunk, that's what finally convinced me to buy and play Deus Ex Human Revolution despite my hate of FPS games (more like I suck at them, therefore I don't like them)... and what an experience that was!!! I enjoied every freaking second of it!! I need more!! His apartment was one of my favourite locations together with Hengsha. Virtual Tourism alright!! The view from the elevator in Montreal was amazing too!
It's too bad that cyberpunk setting is so overlooked in videogames, and in other media too...

I want his coat damnit!!!

Beneath a Steel Sky

215485-beneath_a_steel_sky__10_.png

I also got this for free when I signed up on GOG to get The Longest Journey (what a coincidence, eh?) and I didin't know it had a cyberpunk setting, I need to get back on this too.

I'm hoping cyber-punk will eventually make a comeback in a big way, but I am not counting on it.

More "to play" games added to my list. Thanks, thread!

Dead Space 2 certainly has a lot of cyberpunk-influenced environments, more so than the first game I believe. Wish I had some screens at hand, but I don't. Anyone care to contribute?
definitely the sequel more than the first, thinking on it now the church of unitology did make me think of Wilbur Mercer from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for some reason. just a strange future-religion i guess.

there's a lot of great cyberpunk-esque design going on in dead space 2. one of my favorite moments was the stuttering "TST" animated sign.

MrOogieBoogie

I'm hoping cyber-punk will eventually make a comeback in a big way, but I am not counting on it.

I posted this earlier, but the genre's seen a pretty good revitalization of sorts lately: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Syndicate, Hard Reset, E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy, Gemini Rue, Blacklight: Retribution...

And on the horizon we have Prey 2. Anything else?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's sad that Ghost in the Shell on PS2 have really too bland and non-cyberpunk like environments/levels.

MrOogieBoogie

definitely the sequel more than the first, thinking on it now the church of unitology did make me think of Wilbur Mercer from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? for some reason. just a strange future-religion i guess.

there's a lot of great cyberpunk-esque design going on in dead space 2. one of my favorite moments was the stuttering "TST" animated sign.

Holy fuck that part of the game blew my mind. The lighting is INCREDIBLE. As are the particle effects and IQ.

Someone please find a video of this part!

Phandy

We've gone from WW2 to Modern Combat.
I think were moving past that a bit into a sort of future warfare thing at the moment.

Hopefully it goes like this;
WW2 > Modern Combat > Future warfare > Cyberpunk > Sci fi

XNarte

My most beloved cyberpunk game is Rise of the Dragon from Dynamix, released in 1991 on the Amiga.

70495-rise-of-the-dragon-sega-cd-screenshot-video-phones.png

32302-rise-of-the-dragon-sega-cd-screenshot-sega-cd-message-blinkings.gif

32306-rise-of-the-dragon-sega-cd-screenshot-sega-cd-city-halls.gif

YES. I got this game bundled with a Sega CD (and Earthworm Jim: Special Edition!) I bought off of Ebay for real cheap and I loved it. Still have to go back and beat it.

Holy fuck that part of the game blew my mind. The lighting is INCREDIBLE. As are the particle effects and IQ.

Someone please find a video of this part!
i've been meaning to record and post that area on youtube for some time now. just like that blade runner video you posted. 10 minutes of that. maybe i'll do it tonight now that i know someone else was obsessed with it like me.

MrOogieBoogie

i've been meaning to record and post that area on youtube for some time now. just like that blade runner video you posted. 10 minutes of that. maybe i'll do it tonight now that i know someone else was obsessed with it like me.

Do you remember what chapter it was? I'm sure I could find a walkthrough on YouTube and just jump right to that part.

Top Bottom