• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

beje
Banned
(04-24-2012, 05:59 PM)
beje's Avatar

Originally Posted by Javier

Anyone knows if the Firmware update is available in Japan yet, since it's the 25th there?

If we go by past firmware update timings, it would be up tomorrow morning (around 9AM) European time, so probably midnight for American people. Just speculation though.
wsippel
(04-24-2012, 06:03 PM)

Originally Posted by JavyOO7

I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai
Dillion's Rolling Western

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.

They're all great, though my top three would be Pushmo, Zen Pinball and Mighty Switch Force - in that order. On DSiWare, most ArtStyle games, all titles by Q-Games, all games by WayForward and Rytmik are definitely worth a look.
Wilsongt
Member
(04-24-2012, 06:16 PM)
Wilsongt's Avatar
All I want is Sword of Hajya in NA soon.. :(
Gooster
Member
(04-24-2012, 06:19 PM)
Gooster's Avatar

Originally Posted by JavyOO7

I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai
Dillion's Rolling Western

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.

It took me maybe three hours (according to my game time) to initially play VVVVVV but it felt like a 50-hour game. Lots of exploration. Loved it.

Sakura Samurai might be my next DL. For some reason I can't get into Dillon's Rolling Western even though I like the idea and concept of it. Enjoying Mighty Switch Force and Pushmo right now.
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 06:32 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by JavyOO7

I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai
Dillion's Rolling Western

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.

I bought Pushmo, Zen Pinball, and Sakura Samurai from that list and they're all pretty great. Especially Pushmo. Everyone should buy Pushmo.
lunchwithyuzo
Banned
(04-24-2012, 07:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Celine

Completed IoG yesterday.
That good.

I successfully avoided softmodding my Wii for the Rainfall trinity, but I don't think I'll have a choice for the Soul Blazer trilogy. If we don't get any indication of a release by Wii U launch, then I'll transfer to the new system and use my old Wii for games the VC should be getting [but isn't].
SkyMasterson
Member
(04-24-2012, 07:08 PM)
SkyMasterson's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchwithyuzo

1st priority: Soul Blazer Trilogy

Haha you read my mind! That would seriously be my first order of business(if I were to choose which games got released).

Though I finally acquired an English cart of Terranigma, so I'm good haha.
Colonel Mustard
Member
(04-24-2012, 07:11 PM)
Colonel Mustard's Avatar

Originally Posted by wsippel

They're all great, though my top three would be Pushmo, Zen Pinball and Mighty Switch Force - in that order. On DSiWare, most ArtStyle games, all titles by Q-Games, all games by WayForward and Rytmik are definitely worth a look.

Mr. Driller
Bomberman Blitz
AuraAura Climber

All worth looking in to as well!
Smashkirby
Member
(04-24-2012, 07:24 PM)
Smashkirby's Avatar
I was just going to redeem my Pushmo code and the e-shop is down!
Henke
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:25 PM)
Henke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Smashkirby

I was just going to redeem my Pushmo code and the e-shop is down!

So they can put Wario Land up in the US and Mutant Mudds/Vvvvv in the EU.
GWX
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:33 PM)
GWX's Avatar

Originally Posted by JavyOO7

I played Mutant Mudds demo yesterday and it'll probably be the first eShop title I buy. Though now because of that title I want to get some titles that have caught my eye...

Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force
VVVVVVVVVV
Zen Pinball
Sakura Samurai
Dillion's Rolling Western

And I'm pretty sure there are some gems in DSi Ware land that I don't know about yet.

I got Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Zen Pinball and Rolling Western out of those, and they're all great. Mudds is also very good (I have it too), but I think I prefer Mighty Switch Force to it.

Nintendo, where's my Picross-e goodness? *waits impatiently*
zigg
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:34 PM)
zigg's Avatar
Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.
MatthewB92
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:49 PM)
MatthewB92's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update,

Yes!!!!!
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say
(04-24-2012, 08:53 PM)
Somnid's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

Nice too see more patches. Bodes well. Though what do they mean 3DS Cave Story? A patch to the NIS game or like a port of the Nicalis version?
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:54 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update,

I don't like WayForward games, but that's pretty awesome.
Colonel Mustard
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:55 PM)
Colonel Mustard's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

Cave Story 3D on eShop? Or a pixel 3D version?

Either way, 4th time buying!
zigg
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:55 PM)
zigg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnid

Nice too see more patches. Bodes well. Though what do they mean 3DS Cave Story? A patch to the NIS game or like a port of the Nicalis version?

Looks like a port of the Nicalis version, with widescreen, 3D, "jukebox mode, adjustable controls... Boss Rush, Curly Story, Hell Time Attack, Wind Fortress, Nemesis Challenge, and possibly more."

And then there's this ominous "Plans may call for the DSiWare version... to be removed from the eShop... when the new version becomes available... but the old DSiWare version will remain in the Nintendo DSi Shop..."
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:56 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Colonel Mustard

Cave Story 3D on eShop? Or a pixel 3D version?

Either way, 4th time buying!

Cave Story 3D is a retail game. So this probably goes with the new ability to update retail games coming in the firmware update tomorrow.

EDIT: Or maybe this is something completely different? :P
SteeloDMZ
Banned
(04-24-2012, 08:56 PM)

Originally Posted by zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

Yeah, Retro City is coming to every gaming system, except 3DS for now. Game looks amazing.
zigg
Member
(04-24-2012, 08:57 PM)
zigg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

Cave Story 3D is a retail game. So this probably goes with the new ability to update retail games coming in the firmware update tomorrow.

I don't think this is related to Cave Story 3D at all, other than the obvious "it's Cave Story." Says "a new version," and the picture is of the traditional graphical style, just 3DS-wide.
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say
(04-24-2012, 08:59 PM)
Somnid's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

Looks like a port of the Nicalis version, with widescreen, 3D, "jukebox mode, adjustable controls... Boss Rush, Curly Story, Hell Time Attack, Wind Fortress, Nemesis Challenge, and possibly more."

And then there's this ominous "Plans may call for the DSiWare version... to be removed from the eShop... when the new version becomes available... but the old DSiWare version will remain in the Nintendo DSi Shop..."

Okay, cool I guess? What the hell is the point of the NIS version anyway? To compete with itself?
zigg
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:00 PM)
zigg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnid

What the hell is the point of the NIS version anyway?

I asked that question when it was released at $40.
fernoca
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:03 PM)
fernoca's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?

Because it's in the latest Nintendo Power as an "upcoming WiiWare title", along with a promise of five new free levels for Mighty Switch Force delivered as an update, and an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

There's also a lengthy Jools Watsham bit abot Bomb Monkey.

From what I remember, Retro City Rampage was ready to be released on WiiWare back on August last year, but put on hold because of the Xbox Live Arcade release. Since then, the game's also coming to Steam, PS3, Vita...and the game still not out anywhere (it's a small team, so understandable). Expected around May at least on Steam and Xbox Live Arcade.

On his Twitter, he recently commented about hooking someone with a preview copy of the WiiWare version, so I guess May also includes WiiWare.
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:04 PM)
Roto13's Avatar
Who ever knew that Cave Story would end up being one of those annoying games that gets rereleased every year?
OMG Aero
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:06 PM)
OMG Aero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnid

Okay, cool I guess? What the hell is the point of the NIS version anyway? To compete with itself?

The point of the 3DS version is to give Europeans something to buy because Nicalis are masters at releasing digital titles in a timely fashion in other regions.
iamaustrian
(04-24-2012, 09:07 PM)
iamaustrian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

Who ever knew that Cave Story would end up being one of those annoying games that gets rereleased every year?

except in fucking EU
we are STILL waiting for the DSiware version...for over a year now.
hopefully they release the upgraded 3DS version here
zigg
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:12 PM)
zigg's Avatar

Originally Posted by fernoca

From what I remember, Retro City Rampage was ready to be released on WiiWare back on August last year, but put on hold because of the Xbox Live Arcade release. Since then, the game's also coming to Steam, PS3, Vita...and the game still not out anywhere (it's a small team, so understandable). Expected around May at least on Steam and Xbox Live Arcade.

I see. I was under the impression it wasn't coming to WiiWare at all—that it had moved to XBLA et al. Good news for everyone who wants to play it.

EDIT: This is what I get for not reading gaming news obsessively anymore.
Last edited by zigg; 04-24-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:16 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by iamaustrian

except in fucking EU
we are STILL waiting for the DSiware version...for over a year now.
hopefully they release the upgraded 3DS version here

That might just be the plan. Skip the DSiWare version entirely and just release this 3DSWare version.
Fare Godmace
Member
(04-24-2012, 09:48 PM)
Fare Godmace's Avatar

Originally Posted by zigg

Did we know that Retro City Rampage was going to land on WiiWare after all?.

I played the WiiWare version a week ago at iDÉAME, so yeah. It was just a demo, but it felt pretty polished (and it's been already translated to Spanish, so I guess it's EFIGS).

Damn, now I'm hyped for the update. WayFoward better deliver with those new levels! I know they will <3
BooJoh
Member
(04-24-2012, 10:15 PM)
BooJoh's Avatar
I bought Cave Story on WiiWare and didn't end up finishing it... considered the DSiWare version but I knew it would look like crap on 3DS, and the retail 3DS version was too pricey for me.

I might buy a 3DSWare version though, especially if it's pixel graphics with 3D layers.
Roto13
Member
(04-24-2012, 10:18 PM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by BooJoh

I bought Cave Story on WiiWare and didn't end up finishing it... considered the DSiWare version but I knew it would look like crap on 3DS, and the retail 3DS version was too pricey for me.

I might buy a 3DSWare version though, especially if it's pixel graphics with 3D layers.

That's basically me. :P Bought on it WiiWare and never finished it, didn't want the DSiWare version since I already had the WiiWare version and don't care about playing it on the go, didn't want to pay that much for the 3D version (actually was going to get a review copy of that game but apparently it got lost...) but I might buy the eShop version if it's basically 3D Classics Cave Story.
ScreenSplitter
Member
(04-24-2012, 10:18 PM)
ScreenSplitter's Avatar
I still really wish they'd kill off WiiWare/DSiWare. It's bloating the release list every week, and when the WiiU comes out Nintendo's going to have four downloadable platforms at once, each not being quite as good as they could be if there were just two.

You could argue Sony does a similar thing, but their platforms are interchangeable and inter compatible.
jgkspsx
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:56 AM)

Originally Posted by zigg

an "upgraded" 3DS version of Cave Story.

Thank goodness. I'm in, as long as it's $8 or less. Still annoyed it wasn't included with Cave Story 3D.
PixyJunket
Member
(04-25-2012, 01:00 AM)
PixyJunket's Avatar
Boy, they're really milking Cave Story, eh?

Of course, I would probably buy a 3D version of the 2D game (2D is 3D rules). I got the retail 3D game for my birthday, so I'm all good.

Also, NEW MIGHTY SWITCH FORCE LEVELS. Hopefully these tease into a sequel.
backlot
Member
(04-25-2012, 01:15 AM)
backlot's Avatar
I just heard about the new Mighty Switch Force levels. Can't wait!
@MUWANdo
Member
(04-25-2012, 01:38 AM)

Originally Posted by ScreenSplitter

I still really wish they'd kill off WiiWare/DSiWare. It's bloating the release list every week, and when the WiiU comes out Nintendo's going to have four downloadable platforms at once, each not being quite as good as they could be if there were just two.

You could argue Sony does a similar thing, but their platforms are interchangeable and inter compatible.

You say this like the WiiWare/DSiWare stuff is pushing other games off the release schedule, which isn't true at all. We're still getting plenty of this stuff because it takes months/years to get 'em through submission, and because there are plenty of third-party devs/licensees for those platforms out there--they've already made the investment, so it behooves them to try and claw some of their losses back (or even profit ((haha))).
BooJoh
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:04 AM)
BooJoh's Avatar
Looks like the update might be here... instead of saying my system is up to date, it's downloading.
Seven Force
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:07 AM)
Seven Force's Avatar
Update's up in JP and US regions, downloading both now.
GWX
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:08 AM)
GWX's Avatar
Downloading now! ;)
Javier
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:13 AM)
Javier's Avatar
It's downloading for me too! Update's here, folks!
nincompoop
Banned
(04-25-2012, 02:16 AM)
nincompoop's Avatar
This update's downloading sooooooo slooooooowwwwww for me
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
(04-25-2012, 02:25 AM)
abstract alien's Avatar
It's live for me too here in houston.
abstract alien
baby dolphin -> sun
it's the only way
(04-25-2012, 02:31 AM)
abstract alien's Avatar
Yep. I got folders now. Named one "Good stuff".
Seven Force
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:38 AM)
Seven Force's Avatar
Wow, hasn't even been a month since Japan VC got Wario Land 2, and it's getting Wario Land 3 next week. NoA needs to seriously step their shit up.
Roto13
Member
(04-25-2012, 02:44 AM)
Roto13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Seven Force

Wow, hasn't even been a month since Japan VC got Wario Land 2, and it's getting Wario Land 3 next week. NoA needs to seriously step their shit up.

WHAT
jgkspsx
Member
(04-25-2012, 03:15 AM)
Updating. It's slow, but I bet it will be slower tomorrow.
nincompoop
Banned
(04-25-2012, 04:59 AM)
nincompoop's Avatar
Decided to buy Catrap, seems like a steal at only $3 for 100(?) levels plus a level editor. The mechanics aren't mindblowing or anything, but I played the first 20 levels and they already managed to sneak in a few clever bits here and there, so I can see the later puzzles getting pretty challenging. The rewind feature is a nice touch.
StreetsAhead
Member
(04-25-2012, 05:14 AM)
StreetsAhead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Roto13

WHAT

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/vc/qapj/index.html

Oh hell yes. :D
jgkspsx
Member
(04-25-2012, 05:14 AM)
Catrap is awesome. Just after Picross in value for money on 3DSVC.
Sinthetic
Member
(04-25-2012, 12:47 PM)
Sinthetic's Avatar
I just watched that Magical Dance animation. Fuck me. I swear I couldn't hear any audio (I'm not deaf). Sort it out damnit.

Thread Tools