• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2012

90sRobots

So which Game Gear game is the worthiest of my dollars? I have Sonic CD for Xbox and Android that I never play, but was always curious about Triple Trouble. Is Shinobi any good? Seems like they're more along the lines of "interesting curios" than the "hidden gems" a la Lock n Chase and Avenging Spirit.

Roto13

So which Game Gear game is the worthiest of my dollars? I have Sonic CD for Xbox and Android that I never play, but was always curious about Triple Trouble. Is Shinobi any good? Seems like they're more along the lines of "interesting curios" than the "hidden gems" a la Lock n Chase and Avenging Spirit.

Dragon Crystal is the only one of the three that isn't hurt by the low-res Game Gear screen.

GeekyDad

Not sure how it will play on 3DS/DS, but Amoebattle on iOS is top-quality. Folks should be looking forward to this one. It's actually priced the same as on iOS, which is surprising. A steal at $5.

90sRobots

Dragon Crystal is the only one of the three that isn't hurt by the low-res Game Gear screen.

Thanks. It definitely has good GG/SMS music, but then I realize I haven't finished Link's Awakening and I ask myself whyyyyyy I am buying new games when I have enough on my plate as-is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Buying one Game Gear game is worth it, so you can check out the vastly superior emulator when compared to the Game Boy one.

Maybe the reason Nintendo is waiting on Virtual Console releases is they're revamping the emulator to support Super Game Boy options.
Yeah, right

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Really let down about Rhythm Thief's demo not coming out today. It makes as much sense as seperating the US and Euro launch by 3 months.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I'm so close to downloading this Roller Angels game because it looks like it plays sorta like 2D Jet Set Radio.

But man, it clearly looks so... so un-manly-ish. Or something.

Gonna check out the Pyramids demo I guess...

Not till later though. Even if it captures my interest, my money reserves is for 2 VC games... which would be nice to get next week.

zigg

I'm so close to downloading this Roller Angels game because it looks like it plays sorta like 2D Jet Set Radio.

But man, it clearly looks so... so un-manly-ish. Or something.
I enjoyed it. I suppose it's sorta repetitive if you have something against that. My biggest issue was that it took awhile to really get going.

I agree with this review, except I think it took a little longer to get going than that reviewer did.

Dude, where the hell is Wario Land?

C'mon Nintendo, please.

Anyone else hoping they'll announce and release some VC games at their E3 conference like they did with Link's Awakening last year?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I enjoyed it. I suppose it's sorta repetitive if you have something against that. My biggest issue was that it took awhile to really get going.

I agree with this review, except I think it took a little longer to get going than that reviewer did.

No More Heroes is my favorite game ever, so I've got nothing against repetition as long as the mechanics are solid. And the impressions I gather from that review seem pretty good too, after the initially slow start.

Man I feel silly now asking for people to help out in getting a download code for Kid Icarus 3D Classic for Gamestop ONLY FOR IT TO COME OUT THIS GOD DAMN WEEK ON THE STORE ANYWAY. I really really wish NOA would do what NOE does and announce whats coming out in the store at the beginning of the week instead of on the day it comes out.

On another note, looking forward to playing Rush Rush Rally tonight when I get home from work, looks kinda interesting.

And yeah issuing same sentiments as everyone else, hurry up with the VC games on the 3DS Nintendo.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
OFLC has outed Vampire: Master of Darkness for Game Gear. It's the most blatant Castlevania clone you're ever likely to play, but that's not a bad thing. It's right up there with the best of the GG's library. Good shit.

The actual Castlevania: The Adventure Game Boy game has also been rated.

Inchworm Animation for DSiWare is coming out in Europe next week for 800 Points. Get it.

Yeah, pity it's no good.
I knew it wouldn't happen but I'm kinda disappointed that they aren't going with the Konami GB Collection games instead of just releasing the games one at a time. I would easily pay 10 to 15 bucks for each volume just to have the colour versions of the games.

Oh well I do have them on Game Boy Colour anyway, might fire them up tonight.

Don't like Soloman's Key?

Never played it. It's just I didn't intend on purchasing it yet until I played the demo, not to mention waiting on VC games. But I goofed and ended up buying it, so yeah.

Post World 1 Impressions of Pyramids, it seems to be 6 worlds with 9 levels each, not sure if there's bonus levels. First world is pretty simple obviously.

You're an explorer who has the ability to make blocks in front of him, or diagonally downwords. You can also destroy blocks this way. Blocks can be used for giving you a pathway to gather treasures as well as defend yourself from enemies. If an enemy attacks your block, it becomes crumbly and will be destroyed the next time it's hit again.

According to the manual, you're capable of shooting as well, provided if you have ammo. You need to get the key in order to leave the stage. However, what's important to know is that you get stars depending on your performance, so if you say, got all the gold, you'll get the star, or if you reach the door, you'll get a star, and if you get the gold and beat the clock, you'll get a star. The stars are necessary in order to access new worlds, so you'll have to aim to be as efficient as possible to see the whole game. There's also dynamite in the game.

You're capable of having QR Code levels, but unlike Pushmo, you only have space for 9 extra QR levels.

Graphics are a bit plan but not offensive. The presentation looks choppy because it's slow, but the gameplay is pretty smooth from what I've played. 3D is servicable.

Roto13

pZZb8.jpg

Sure, why not?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Random Pyramids fact: the game can load custom levels via QR code, but there's no official level editor; the devs were just gonna offer up different custom stages to various blogs as a promotional tool. However, someone reverse-engineered the QR codes and created a level editor for PC, so if you really dig Pyramids you can make your own stages.

Never played it. It's just I didn't intend on purchasing it yet until I played the demo, not to mention waiting on VC games. But I goofed and ended up buying it, so yeah.

Post World 1 Impressions of Pyramids, it seems to be 6 worlds with 9 levels each, not sure if there's bonus levels. First world is pretty simple obviously.

You're an explorer who has the ability to make blocks in front of him, or diagonally downwords. You can also destroy blocks this way. Blocks can be used for giving you a pathway to gather treasures as well as defend yourself from enemies. If an enemy attacks your block, it becomes crumbly and will be destroyed the next time it's hit again.

According to the manual, you're capable of shooting as well, provided if you have ammo. You need to get the key in order to leave the stage. However, what's important to know is that you get stars depending on your performance, so if you say, got all the gold, you'll get the star, or if you reach the door, you'll get a star, and if you get the gold and beat the clock, you'll get a star. The stars are necessary in order to access new worlds, so you'll have to aim to be as efficient as possible to see the whole game. There's also dynamite in the game.

You're capable of having QR Code levels, but unlike Pushmo, you only have space for 9 extra QR levels.

Graphics are a bit plan but not offensive. The presentation looks choppy because it's slow, but the gameplay is pretty smooth from what I've played. 3D is servicable.

Yeah, the game was not made for sharing levels on a whim but rather looking at the developer-made QR levels. However, as stated above, there is now an editor for the levels.

Pyramids has a really cheap feel to it that reminds me of a shareware PC game from the early 90s, but not in a good way (as opposed to say Mutant Mudds). I liked the demo enough to get 3 stars in all 6 levels, but I couldn't see myself ever wanting to buy the full version.

Just bought Penguin Patrol, it's pretty keen. Cute sprite graphics, relaxing music and challenging puzzle gameplay, all for two bucks. Solid.

I think the company that made this is also making that Amoebattle game, which looks quite awesome.

The boulder dash game coming out in a couple months or so really should have been an eshop game. Granted, I like boulder dash...

It would be a good candidate for the retail games available on eshop thing coming soon

90sRobots

So is there a 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE HYPE TRAIN for actual releases next week since there will be a system update? I want me some Wario Land to put in my BRAND NEW GAME BOY FOLDER.

I dunno, Nintendo might not want to put out any software that would directly compete with folders.
Normally I wouldn't be okay with this, but its folders, so I'm okay with this. Folders is the biggest thing released for 3DS yet!
Not really :p but still a pretty big release.

Got Go! Go! Kokopolo! Last week, only played through the first eight levels but its a really awsome game. Glad I bought it :) Just really wish the map was of the whole area and not just a small part of it.

rpmurphy

Not sure how it will play on 3DS/DS, but Amoebattle on iOS is top-quality. Folks should be looking forward to this one. It's actually priced the same as on iOS, which is surprising. A steal at $5.
I saw a preview of it a long time ago and it piqued my interest as there are really hardly any RTS games on the DS, let alone DSiWare. Is it combat-focused, or is there a resource-gathering and construction element as well?

Top Bottom