• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Yeef

Obviously you only work for Valve at the lowest level. If you worked for Valve Gold or Valve Platinum, you'd know about these things.

Blizzard

Banned
So are we getting the band back together?

fallengorn#1126
Let's do it! :3

ExMachina#1229
I'm up for it (on the weekends at least)

Spaceb0y#1814
It sounds fun but I have a few concerns:

• Unlike TF2, no Steam
  • Unlike TF2, no private servers / custom settings?
  • Unlike original TF2, $40 plus crates already and more microtransactions possible in the future?
  • Unlike TF2, restricted small teams of 6 or less might produce the MOBA syndroms of clique-y groups or rage at one or two people who make mistakes.

I might try the TF2 competitive mode once it comes out, but I'm leaning towards waiting a little longer on Overwatch to see how things go.

It sounds fun but I have a few concerns:

• Unlike TF2, no Steam
  • Unlike TF2, no private servers / custom settings?
  • Unlike original TF2, $40 plus crates already and more microtransactions possible in the future?
  • Unlike TF2, restricted small teams of 6 or less might produce the MOBA syndroms of clique-y groups or rage at one or two people who make mistakes.

I might try the TF2 competitive mode once it comes out, but I'm leaning towards waiting a little longer on Overwatch to see how things go.

Game is fun, fam. It's not as flexible as TF2 or as relaxing as TF2. It's like...a try-hard TF2 experience. We won't have trivia servers in Overwatch or custom maps to do stupid shit on. But in its vein of what it's trying to do, it does it better than anything else in the sub-genre. Also, chests drop for free after each level you reach and cost nothing to open.

It won't replace TF2 if that's what you're wondering. It'll augment it nicely, however.

Blizzard

Banned
Also apparently there are some custom settings so you can raise the tick rate, according to another thread.

Personally, I thought TF2 was fun when people were laughing and enjoying things instead of being super tryhard. When people go serious and bust out scout/demo/soldier/heavy/engineer, then no one has any fun and everyone leaves the servers after the round ends. :p

And then there's hydro.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I didn't do the Beta and I just hopped on last night. It's fun. Games go by pretty fast, which is a good contrast from 2 hours on Hightower. It's a pretty breezy game so far.

Also cool playing with JoeFu and Sciz again.

i paid my fees! i'm in valve diamond!

Check again, you've got Value Diamond level.

Yeef

I didn't do the Beta and I just hopped on last night. It's fun. Games go by pretty fast, which is a good contrast from 2 hours on Hightower. It's a pretty breezy game so far.
I suppose if you're a quitter, that's about right.

In case you've all forgotten, we're still in Day 589 of our most recent Hightower game. Eventually, someone will get that cart to the top. We just have to have faith.

Yeef

i don't think i've ever played a round of hightower that lasted two hours when everyone was actually trying
They did increase the uphill cart speed eventually. When the map first launched though, it was like impossible to get it up the hill or the lift. Even if the whole team was on the cart it still took like 20 minutes to get it up.

That's what she said.

Yeef

I still remember when Hightower was first released. Everyone was high on it because it was good for every class.

Eventually we realized that "every class" excluded Medic, because HighTower is awful for Medics.

Anyway, shut up and play Overwatch.

Blizzard

Banned
I still remember when Hightower was first released. Everyone was high on it because it was good for every class.

Eventually we realized that "every class" excluded Medic, because HighTower is awful for Medics.

Anyway, shut up and play Overwatch.
I used to try Quickfix Medic on Hightower. "It'll be great," I thought, "a soldier or demo will jump me onto the tower!" I thought.

In reality you just fall short and die half the time, or get left behind.

The only way I've found to have fun with medic on Hightower is to use the Vaccinator. I think it got nerfed though?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hi guys!

I just got out of my time capsule and installed TF2. Never played before, did training and practicing against bots.

What do I need to know? (good intro guides, noob classes, etc would be appreciated)

Yeef

Hi guys!

I just got out of my time capsule and installed TF2. Never played before, did training and practicing against bots.

What do I need to know? (good intro guides, noob classes, etc would be appreciated)
Heavy is probably the easiest class to play, but also has a low skill ceiling. Pyro is easy to play, but has a higher skill ceiling. Soldier is also very easy to play, but has a very very high ceiling.

Medic is the most useful class.

Scout is the best class.

In summation, just play whatever you feel like, but know that certain classes (Soldier, Demo, Scout) are better at direct confrontation than others and tend to be the bread and butter of the game. Other classes are good if there's just one or two on the team, but get really bad in multiples.

A team with 5 soldiers will do well, even if it's a bit annoying. A team with 5 spies is likely to lose without getting anything accomplished..

Overwatch's comp matches are so much more boring to watch than TF2 6v6. It's like watching Highlander. It puts me in actual pain knowing that OW's comp scene will be more successful than TF2's ever was.

Anyways, new VAC ban wave. Poor Tom.

TQjPNfv.png

mEARhWs.png

QO2NAkD.png

Ww1R2dK.png

wOZvY1W.png

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
How long do y'all think I should practice with bots before trying some real matches?

Also, what are the best and/or most populated playlists?

So far I've been playing Dustbowl (I think that's the name) on easy versus bots and winning (just to give you an idea of where I am, I know winning versus easy bots means nothing) is

commissar

How long do y'all think I should practice with bots before trying some real matches?

Also, what are the best and/or most populated playlists?

So far I've been playing Dustbowl (I think that's the name) on easy versus bots and winning (just to give you an idea of where I am, I know winning versus easy bots means nothing) is
Just jump in on say, payload and shoot some dudes. Valve servers have people of all skills so just join up :]

The cart will give you some heals which makes things a bit easier, and you'll be helping the team

Yeef

The TF2 thread has been "the people who used to play TF2 Thread" for a long time. Whenever a big update hits people actually talk about and play TF2!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Holy shit the TF2 community sucks. I was just booted from two consecutive MvM matches because I apparently wasn't doing what the team wanted me to do. Instead of, you know, telling me what I should change they just indiscriminately kick me before I can even protest the vote.

Assholes. This is why I don't play multiplayer games.

Yeef

Holy shit the TF2 community sucks. I was just booted from two consecutive MvM matches because I apparently wasn't doing what the team wanted me to do. Instead of, you know, telling me what I should change they just indiscriminately kick me before I can even protest the vote.

Don't let a couple of jerks sour your opinion on the community at large. For the most part, the TF2 community is pretty friendly.

Russ T

Banned
Don't let a couple of jerks sour your opinion on the community at large. For the most part, the TF2 community is pretty friendly.

I dunno in my experience MvM players are pretty shitty more often than not. "If you can't help, get out." I think I've had one good experience with pubs when playing by myself in MvM.

Damn it, the fact that you guys are playing Overwatch makes me even more tempted to buy it. It will be like the old days when I first joined The Jank (holy shit has it really been over 6 years?!). I've been so addicted to Dark Souls 3 it's actually beginning to scare me... I don't know if I could survive being addicted to that AND a new TF2-style FPS. But I have enough gift card money to buy it... resistance is failing...

Yeef

I dunno in my experience MvM players are pretty shitty more often than not. "If you can't help, get out." I think I've had one good experience with pubs when playing by myself in MvM.
I suppose that's possible. I really only play MvM with people I already know. The non-MvM community is fine though. I guess there's a divide there.

Randdalf

Yeah that's pretty much my experience with MvM too. It sucks because of the community, most of whom seem to be just grinding it for unlocks and rewards with a prescribed method rather than having fun. Playing with friends is really the only way around it, but most of my friends have moved to other games.

Russ T

Banned
I suppose that's possible. I really only play MvM with people I already know. The non-MvM community is fine though. I guess there's a divide there.

Yeah I think it's just the time investment. You go into MvM wanting to win the whole thing, right, and when you've got dead weight...

Non-MvM community is definitely much better on the whole. Tho you still get some shitty "kids" spouting slurs.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah normal games are still fairly chill. MVM is where one or two new players can lose the game, and people probably rage as a result.

Or for that matter, they might kick a random person to invite their own friend. Pity they didn't say anything.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Damn it, the fact that you guys are playing Overwatch makes me even more tempted to buy it. It will be like the old days when I first joined The Jank (holy shit has it really been over 6 years?!). I've been so addicted to Dark Souls 3 it's actually beginning to scare me... I don't know if I could survive being addicted to that AND a new TF2-style FPS. But I have enough gift card money to buy it... resistance is failing...

Join us...

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Got kicked/banned from servers three more times tonight.

Oh well, fuck it, guess Team Fortress 2 isn't for me. Off the computer it goes.

I keep hearing these horror stories of people getting kicked from MvM for having low tours and such, but I've literally never seen it happen. Every time, it's because some guy with zero tours insists on playing Spy or something and refuses to change.

Top Bottom