• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I would probably say the DS and 3DS, i'm not much of a handheld guy... i mostly buy them to play Mario Kart and that's it. Not to mention i know they're going to release a better 3DS someday.

TheContact

The Wii. By far. The sad part is I waited overnight at a GameStop for it just for them to tell us that they only had 3 units. Then I waited outside Best Buy for hours to get it. *sigh*

I sort of regret buying the PS3 too. I bought it Day 1, but have only bought 3 games for it, only 1 of which I still have.

Right now the PS3 serves as a Netflix machine for my bedroom, since I can't get a TV wire in there.

Davey Cakes

I didn't buy it (my brother did), but the PS2.

He got tired of his PSP and traded it in for a slim PS2. We were Gamecube and Xbox gamers during the 2001-2006 generation but we figured that maybe it was finally time to try the console that was actually the most popular and had the largest library of games.

It's nothing against the PS2, but neither of us played the system much. He played some ICO and MGS3 and put it down. I played some God of War and put it down. It was really just too late; neither of us actually wanted to play the PS2's big games as much as we had originally thought. It was during a shifting period as well where our gaming tastes were more selective in general. "Missed the boat" seems about the right thing to say. Now the system is just sitting there, unused.

Well

Xbox360 - First one was from the Pepsi contest, so it died in 3 weeks, I had the same PS2 for 5 years. But I have a Halo Reach Xbox360 and I am happy with it.

PS3 60 Gigs, I never thought it would die, but it died in 2010 August. Definitely regret paying 659.99 + Tax

Wii - sorry this is the worst console I have purchased.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
When I saw the title of the thread I originally thought to post SEGA's Saturn and Dreamcast, but truth be told, I had a lot of fun with the games I actually did buy for these. They weren't bad consoles... they just underscored that there's no fourth medal in the Console Olympics.

Actually, if you really based this on a dud game per good game purchase ratio and thus a ratio of "worst experience", the worst console I've ever owned was a PS2.

Birbo

Don't know that I'd say I regret buying any, but some I definitely like more than others. My least enjoyed would be:

32X - Doom 32X was my first of many FPS games and I enjoyed Star Wars Arcade & Shadow Squadron at the time, but not much beyond that.

Wii - My son likes it, so that's a plus, but beyond the two Galaxy games, there wasn't too much for me.

Gamecube - Enjoyed the first-party exclusives, but online gaming on my OG Xbox took up most of my time back then. Don't think I ever finished a game I owned for this system. :(

PSP - Bought a cheap Go to test the waters for a Vita. Really love the design and the games I have are good, but handheld gaming just isn't for me.

PS2 - Only because I bought this way late in its lifespan (like 2008).

tkscz

You know what i like about threads like these? You get to see all the people who buy two games for a system and think that's all it has to offer.

I have no regrets toward any system, as the ones I've had, I actually got more than just 2 games for it.

Lastly, you charge it and it does not keep its charge. Its ridiculous. I take it 3-4 days later and the charge is almost gone.

This was always my biggest complaint with PSP. Lived in the nightstand drawer with the DS and both would sit for days/weeks at a time. Decide to play a little at any point and only one of them would actually turn on.

Boulayman

Wii: Not enough games that interest me
psp and ds: great consoles but I am not just at all into handheld gaming
360: Possibly a better console than the ps3 (Love the interface, the controller feels nicer and far less updates) but I bought it late in its lifecycle (so I already owned all the big 3rd parties on my ps3) and I do not like its flagship exclusives: absolutely hated halo ( I bought halo 3,odst and reach figuring the next one will be the charm but I just can't stand it), I am still trying to like gears of wars, haven't given up on that one yet.

Kuramu

Keeping in mind that I had a DS phat and DS lite already, the DSi was an unnecessary purchase for me. I was so frustrated the the painful diagonals on the Lite D-pad, I was hoping the DSi would make it usable again, but no, it was worse.

berg ark

When I sold my Wii with 9 games I bought an Xbox 360 for the money. Big mistake, never used it, eventually sold it aswell to buy a PS3, which has turned out to be a better decision even though I dont play on it anymore. It was fun while it lasted though!

None, I only regret not buying certain consoles. The ones I bought, I used a lot most of the time also after the new gen machines kicked in. I look for great games, and consoles are only means to play them.

Jokeropia

None, because I'm not stupid. Any system that doesn't die within a year or less has at least enough games justify cost of purchase. (Unless you have an extremely specific taste, in which case you should research better.)
Current generation excluded as not to induce any flame wars.
Haha. It was a nice thought, but apparently 90% only reads the title.

Chris R

Honestly, I'd have to say I'm kinda let down by the 3DS right now. I think I'd be less let down if I never had owned a DS and played all the games from that library that I wanted already. As it stands now I only own a single 3DS cart (OoT) but do use it every now and then to play games from the 3DS shop/Ambassador titles (Pushmo is great). Hoping E3 is big for it, because I really want to use it more :( Just needs more games, but then the same could be said for the Vita too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
820249-playstation_3_super.png

I still can't believe I blew $599 on this. Uncharted 1/2 and Demon's Souls were great, but nothing beyond has elicited much satisfaction. I've had it sitting in storage for a year and doubt I will ever hook it up again.

Cimarron

I still can't believe I blew $599 on this. Uncharted 1/2 and Demon's Souls were great, but nothing beyond has elicited much satisfaction. I've had it sitting in storage for a year and doubt I will ever hook it up again.

I guess I would have thought this way about my PS3 if I bought it for$ $599. But for $300 it has earned its keep with demon souls, uncharted 1/2, and GOW 3. And the bluray is nice.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously? Wow, I use mine nearly every day. :\

You know what i like about threads like these? You get to see all the people who buy two games for a system and think that's all it has to offer.
Yep.

Even the worst systems generally have more than two worthwhile games available if you have an open mind.

Honestly, something like the Tiger Game.com, the CDI, or even the 32x are the only types of systems that come close to offering almost nothing. Even then, they are curiosities. Comparatively, something like the Wii or PS3 have mountains of content on tap.

Of course, I regularly hit up eBay to add old, dead consoles to my collection with a random assortment of games. Recently picked up a NeoGeo Pocket Color and Wonderswan Crystal along with a whole mess of games. Some good games out there for those despite their lack of success in the marketplace.

Dylan

Sega Game Gear: As a kid I really honestly thought that there was no way this could fail. I mean it was a gameboy but with colour right? Wrong. The games sucked and the 6 AA batteries it required lasted a few hours. POS.

N64: Super Mario 64 was amazing, and a few others (Waverace, Goldeneye) were definitely gems, but overall the system lacked the RPG's and third party games I was hungry for.

PS3: Already owning a gaming PC, I got a PS3 for Little Big Planet and MGS4, neither of which really lived up to my expectations. The only game I would really enjoy thoroughly on the PS3 is Dark Soul. I feel like I wasted my money on this system.

satriales

DS: I bought it and then sold it about 6 months later because I didn't fancy any of the games. After I sold it lots of games came out that I liked the look of but I never did re-buy one to play them.

360: When I bought it I didn't realise that XBox Live was per person rather than per console, which meant it would cost a fortune for everyone in my family to play online. So after my 1-yr sub ran out I decided to sell it. I also was worried about the RROD.

Vita.

Why?

1 - I travel a lot of for work. Every time i used my vita anywhere where there is aircon the touch screen does not work. That includes planes. Doh.

2 - disabling online features: what's the point of a 3g mobile console if i'm disconnected every time i'm playing a game

3 - 'home console experiences on the move' - hear me out here... PSP was vaunted as a console that enabled you to have PS2 quality gaming on the go. great in theory but in the end it just meant that the majority of games felt like experiences I'd already had elsewhere. Much the same on vita at this point.

4 - disjointed. one of the things I hate about the PS3 interface is that every menu on the dash feels like it was designed by a different team and stitched together later (account management, system settings, ps store - which is different to the in-game ps store interface - what's new, etc etc etc) all use different interfaces and navigation. Sony have taken this to an extreme on vita. For all of the faults of 360's latest dash, it at least feels somewhat consistent and cohesive.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No consoles, but I do hate that I jumped in so early on some Nintendo handhelds. GBA had an awesome launch lineup, and COTM is a frick'n killer launch game. To bad the no back light thing almost killed playing that game even with a worm light.

The other one was the DS Phat. I know some people like the biggerness of the system, but ugh the industrial design on that thing was just horrific.

That being said I ended up with an SP and a Lite so problems solved. :p

dark10x

1 - I travel a lot of for work. Every time i used my vita anywhere where there is aircon the touch screen does not work. That includes planes. Doh.
Wait, what? That is bizarre. I have definitely not encountered that with any direct airflow.

Jokeropia

Yep.

Even the worst systems generally have more than two worthwhile games available if you have an open mind.

Honestly, something like the Tiger Game.com, the CDI, or even the 32x are the only types of systems that come close to offering almost nothing. Even then, they are curiosities. Comparatively, something like the Wii or PS3 have mountains of content on tap.

Of course, I regularly hit up eBay to add old, dead consoles to my collection with a random assortment of games. Recently picked up a NeoGeo Pocket Color and Wonderswan Crystal along with a whole mess of games. Some good games out there for those despite their lack of success in the marketplace.
Indeed. Maybe it's another matter if you're casual and won't take the time to properly research a system's library, but that should be taken into consideration before buying it in the first place.

Duxxy3

Wii. At first i was excited about the idea of motion controls. By the second month i had sworn off motion controls and anything to do with them.

You would think that i regret buying a saturn (at launch) but i played that thing a ton and legitimately enjoyed it.

dark10x

Wii. At first i was excited about the idea of motion controls. By the second month i had sworn off motion controls and anything to do with them.

You would think that i regret buying a saturn (at launch) but i played that thing a ton and legitimately enjoyed it.
You know what the Wii does best? 2D platformers! Seriously, I detest all of the gimmicky shit that the Wii stands for but there are a load of fantastic games available for it that I love. It's great for fans of platform games for sure.

That's not to say there aren't other gems on there outside of that genre, but I definitely spend most of my Wii time with such games. Honestly, the pointer based menu system has been a hassle in that I use a battery powered sensor bar which eats up batteries quickly. Having to switch it on in order to navigate the menu OR pull out a classic controller (which won't work with the in-game system menu) is annoying. Most of the games I do play use a sideways Wii-mote position or the CC Pro.

Gav47

Are you saying the touch screen won't work in a room with air conditioning? Or am I picking that up wrong?

Pranay

Truth.

Their is always worth while content in every console, i am surprised how people are sometimes close minded in such cases.

Vita.

Why?

2 - disabling online features

3 - 'home console experiences on the move'

4 - disjointed.

1) Not sure if serious?
2) True that - 3G is a complete waste. I canceled my data plan 3 weeks in as all I could really use it for on the go was Near and posting to leaderboards. Pffff.
3) I've been playing Rayman Origins, Virtua Tennis, MLB The Show and Blobs and yes, they are (for the most part) exactly what I'd expect to play on my PS3. I love this. What else do you want?
4) The dashboard could use some work, no question. But does this really make it a regrettable purchase?

I dunno, I love my Vita and all it can do. By far my favorite gaming device I've ever purchased outside the PC environment.

The Wii, on the other hand. I've bought 2 and the only game I've played and finished is Paper Mario. Really was more a toy than a gaming platform (YMMV).

1) Not sure if serious?
2) True that - 3G is a complete waste. I canceled my data plan 3 weeks in as all I could really use it for on the go was Near and posting to leaderboards. Pffff.
3) I've been playing Rayman Origins, Virtua Tennis, MLB The Show and Blobs and yes, they are (for the most part) exactly what I'd expect to play on my PS3. I love this. What else do you want?
4) The dashboard could use some work, no question. But does this really make it a regrettable purchase?

I dunno, I love my Vita and all it can do. By far my favorite gaming device I've ever purchased outside the PC environment.

The Wii, on the other hand. I've bought 2 and the only game I've played and finished is Paper Mario. Really was more a toy than a gaming platform (YMMV).

#1 sounds odd given its a capacitive touch screen? I mean it requires electrical conduction to operate. Air shouldn't make any difference.

I pretty much regret the Wii. Just wasn't worth it to me.

Hey You

Excluding this gen? None.

I do regret getting a PSP, never really used it much except for the internet and sometimes GTA: Vice City stories.

If I went back in time, I wouldn't get the 360 again. Not worth the 6 replacements I had to go through, but I definitely would miss some of the exclusives on the thing.

I feel like saying the Wii as well, but that's only because I could still enjoy some of it's greatest games on dolphin, which isn't fair to say.

Wait, I know the perfect answer to the question...

The DSi. I bought it because "omg, it has like 3x the ram and twice the clockspeed and there are going to be games that take advantage of that" I'd like my $199 back.

I think PSV is an awesome piece of kit but I feel I should not have picked one up at launch. I really have nothing to play on it now. The only upcoming game I'm interested in is gravity daze. I hope Sony announces some big stuff for it come E3.

Well, I can't think of one prior to this generation. I only had Nintendo consoles until the PS2, but I didn't buy any of those nor would I have regretted it.

I owned the 4 last gen consoles and I guess the PS2 is the closest. Not that it was a bad console but a Gamecube and Xbox more than satisfied my console gaming needs so it was mainly an early decade DVD player for me. I'd also say the Dreamcast had I bought it at full price given that ti has a grand total of 3 or 4 games I want and none stayed exclusive, but I got it, an extra controller, and a game for $25 so I can't complain.

Now there is one of the two consoles I bought from this gen, but...

Haha. It was a nice thought, but apparently 90% only reads the title.

Too true.

plc268

PS3.

It just sits there. It only gets played for the occasional sony exclusive, but I'd rather play any multiplatform games on the 360 or PC.

The wii was somewhat of a disappointment, but I sold it some time ago for more than what I bought it for, so that wasn't too bad.

Tymerend

The only console I ever 'regret' buying is the Nomad. A portable Genesis? Sweet! Wait, I have to spend HOW much on batteries? And they last HOW long? Oh well.

plc268

The only console I ever 'regret' buying is the Nomad. A portable Genesis? Sweet! Wait, I have to spend HOW much on batteries? And they last HOW long? Oh well.

Haha. Never had a nomad, but I thought even the Game Gear was terrible on batteries. I never knew anyone who didn't exclusively use the AC adaptor for it

although i don't regret my purchases, i haven't spent as much time as i would love to be able to with my consoles. wii has been worth it for super mario galaxy alone. no more heroes and sin & punishment were incredible so i don't regret my $80 wii purchase at all.

my ps3 on the other hand.... first time i bought it, i ended up selling it for profit since at the time i didn't own an hdtv or even internet access. i rebought another ps3 this year and while i've played some great games, i ended up using more for netflix than anything else. i don't know if regret is the right word, but i probably could've lived without it. still play my gamecube and ps2 more than anything else :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I don't regret buying any consoles.

The closest I have had to it was the Gameboy Color, just because it has no backlighting and the only major games I got for it was Pokemon Red/Gold and Dragon Quest III.

JaseMath

How could anyone regret buying any mainstream console? There are so many great experiences on every console.

Hinomura

How could anyone regret buying any mainstream console? There are so many great experiences on every console.

In my case I've spent about 1,600 dollars to play with PS3 expecting a PlayStation library: PS1 + PS2 had thousands of exlusive japanese games, ton of new IPs, pratically every genre covered (save for a few genres usually covered by western PC gaming), huge variety, many new ideas.

In this console generation I play multi platform games on a PC (plus the many PC exclusives) and I cry for the loss of many genres, for the IPs I loved gone missing / mutilated, and for the reduced variety.

I use very occasionally PS3 just to play with a couple of friends with VS beat'em ups (ie SF3ts), or doing SP with the very few exclusive games I like (ie Yakuza).

To me, this doesn't justify absolutely the amount of money I've spent and the hassle I had for the faulty hardware, so I'm regretting it.

Top Bottom