• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

Gustav

Banned
CD-i. Yep, I had one. The wacky golf game was the best it had.

There was also the superb Burn: Cycle. Oh, how much I loved that game.
Burn_cycle.jpg

. Atari Jaguar - it had AVP, which was the reason I bought the system and ultimately the only thing the Jaguar had going for it.

. SEGA Saturn - at the time, I wished I'd bought a PlayStation, but I've since returned to the system and due to all the fantastic imports it's become one of my favourites.

. Gamecube - I went from Dreamcast to Xbox, and then foolish decided to buy a Gamecube instead of a PS2, and despite Windwaker, Resident Evil 4, Baton Kaitos and a few other gems, my Gamecube was largely unused.

. Wii - just haven't used it all that much, there haven't been enough compelling releases to keep me interested and I don't really enjoy the motion controls.

. 3DS - I should have just probably waited a few years to get one, like I did with the DS, as I haven't really been using it all that much. Haven't bought a single new 3DS game this year.

wii

The others have been fine, even the gamecube (for the price of two games and including RE4)

Funnily enough, the wii was like what I bought 6 years before, and 300% more expensive

Wii.... not huge on nintendo first party titles so yea, the system was a bust for me though I tried. The other systems and PC took all my time away from Wii use.

Saturn. Got one years after it had died, but getting good games for it had become incredibly expensive and while good, lot of the games just really weren't worth the crazy prices they were going for. Felt like I wasted alot of money even though did get some enjoyment out of it, I paid too much and regretted how much I spent in the end.

C4Lukins

None I really regret. But these are the ones that I just did not play with a lot.

PS3
PSP
Nomad
Gamecube
Wii

Sayah

I only buy a console when I know there is a single game on it that can satisfy me for years. So none. I always go with Sony and Nintendo every generation.

I've never regretted buying a console, as they've all had their positives, but the Xbox 360 is definitely the one I've liked the least. I didn't want to fork out the extra dough for the PS3, so I made the jump from Sony to Microsoft, and haven't played anything that made me want to stay.

Next gen, I'm going back to my tried and true Nintendo/Sony duo. For one thing, I like the Playstation controllers better.

PSP, Wii

Owned the Wii for just under a year, tried my best to get along with it buying most of the big name games for it but I'd say I played it for about 3 weeks of the whole year. Then the following christmas came and stores in some parts of the country we out of stock. I put it up on ebay and got my money back due to the demand. That was a good christmas.

I just regretted the PSP because I had put so much money into it when it was released and never found myself playing it except for multiplayer stuff like tekken. And I get headaches playing handhelds in moving vehicles :/

Dark Souls was not even mentioned as a pc port until very recently.

Memory is hazy, but gta4 was initially only mentioned as a console game from what I recall.

ie it was not a safe bet to assume they would be on pc any time soon when they first came out.

You had a 360 and Dark Souls in on 360 (in most territories, anyway), why buy a PS3 to play it?

MDSLKTR

Resident evil machine (gamecube) and castelvania machine (ds), I don't think i'll ever get any other nintendo console ever. I had lots of fun with my 360 when it launched but I think I made a good decision selling it.

Sky Chief

PSP, all the games I bought it for ended up coming to PS3 anyway but it was really cheap. The control setup was just so bad, even if I liked a game it was hard for me to play through it. However, I did play Policenauts on it after I installed CFW and it was an absolutely amazing game so that makes me feel better.

360 and PS3. I should have waited and just played everything on PC when I could handle it.

Outside of MGS4 and FF13 I don't think I would have missed anything.

Probably done with Microsoft and Sony (at least on console) for good now.

Zia

I purchased a 360 to play Pac-Man: Championship Edition, own three "retail" PlayStation 3 games and play through an average of one Wii game a year (not including Virtual Console). It doesn't take a lot for me to be pleased with a console.

smr00

Banned
PS3.

To be honest if it didn't play blu-rays i would of sold it back when i bought it at launch and if it breaks ill just buy a cheap blu-ray player but don't get me wrong i enjoyed a few of the exclusives but the PS3 is just a gigantic let down compared to the PS1/PS2, if i had the model that has PS2 BC it would get a lot more play but sony decided to be complete idiots about it.

In my life I have regretted buying only 2...

PSP and a Vita...

Now don't get me wrong the hardware is amazing! I just prefer a quick dose of Mario, Mario kart, Pokemon, and other Nintendo first party games if im going to be playing a handheld.

Hopefully VITA comes around nicely and I can grab another one because I've already sold my launch unit.

neoemonk

I regret buying my 360. I almost never play online and there aren't any exclusives on it that I care about.

I bought it to play Mass Effect, and then it came to the PC. That's where I've played that series ever since.

The purchase has been salvaged a little with XBLA, but I resent the fact that I can't take full advantage of everything the console has to offer without paying a monthly fee.

Lunchbox

Banned
PSP

terrible. back in 05 it was awesome, the hardware itself was like nothing i ever owned. felt like owning something from the future, music, browser, videoplayer

got an iphone now, done with handhelds for good

smr00

Banned

PSP and a Vita...

Now don't get me wrong the hardware is amazing! I just prefer a quick dose of Mario, Mario kart, Pokemon, and other Nintendo first party games if im going to be playing a handheld.

Hopefully VITA comes around nicely and I can grab another one because I've already sold my launch unit.
To me the PSP is great if you are into JRPGs/Niche games which is why i love it but i am with you on the VITA, i bought it and returned it to bestbuy a month after (luckily i am platinum status at bestbuy which gives me an addiction 15 days to return stuff).

Vita is a great machine but lacks games.

zlatko

Banned
Dreamcast.

I got it about 2 weeks before they announced SEGA was done with hardware...

I was a kid then too so I had to scrounge up money for half, and my rents covered the other half. You try explaining to them why you want a PS2 like ~2months later. Luckily it panned out and I did get a PS2, but I've never bought even a SEGA game after that.

LosDaddie

Banned
Not waiting for a 3DS revision / pricecut.

I mean, I bought it at $250 because I was going on vacation and my old DSLite was broken. And I played the shit out of it during the vacation. But I haven't played it much since then.

Sure, SM3DL is amazing & all, but damn, I should've waited for the $80 pricecut. Oh well.

Wii

I knew I was in trouble when a handful of middle of the road games were being championed as high quality on these forums. And it was down hill from there.

Carlisle

Every console I've owned has paid off in one way or the other. The Wii was my go-to from 06 to 08, so even though I never play it anymore I can't say I regret the initial purchase of it. It did what I wanted and so much more thanks to VC and consistent solid first party offerings.

So I'll approach this from a payoff angle. DSi was easily my most useless purchase ever. There were a couple of interesting games like that Wario camera game, and Looksley's Lineup that experimented with headtracking 3D, but other than that I would have been just fine continuing on with just my DS Lite.

Even though I did get a fair bit of utility out of my 360 (RDR, ME1, Fable games, XBLA), it's been the next most useless console. There was a period where I played a handful of games for a few months, but outside of that I've barely fired it up in the 3 years I've had it.

The original GBA I regretted because a month later the SP came out and saved everything. I was so pissed I didn't get the new one for several years.

Drek

PSP and a Vita...

You do know that no matter how well the Vita "comes around" it will never fulfill what you just said you want in a handheld, right?

Anyhow, for me:

Wii - Obvious one. Not enough games that interest me, the best games are often drug down by weak hardware, and the controls aren't nearly as accurate as they need to be for this kind of fundamental shift in product design. The sparse number of games aren't worth the price of admission, especially since Nintendo seems to be very committed to a BC console line. Would have been better served to wait and buy a Wii U. But from here on out if Nintendo stays BC friendly I think I'll be an "every other" Nintendo system buyer.

PSP - good concept. Bunch of good games. Hardware was a huge limiting factor. Now I had a PSP-1000 so it wasn't quite as nice as where the format ended at, but it is striking just how much better every PSP game looks AND plays on the Vita. PSP was a tangible step back from what it's console contemporaries offered as an overall experience. Uncomfortable and inaccurate thumb nub, no second analog, poor square button, weak D pad, etc.. It just made playing games, even good ones, more of a chore than it needed to be.

Game Gear - Horrible battery life even by today's system standards, bulky and heavy. Screen had horrible view angles. Most of the games were very similar side scrolling platformers and beat 'em ups that didn't play very well. All around pretty worthless.

GBA - the only time I felt really victimized by a redesign update. GBA SP was SOOOO much better. Still an excellent system though.

Dreamcast - Didn't as much regret buying it as I regretted when/how. Bought it dirt cheap when they were on impending PS2 apocalypse fire sale. System was REALLY good but had a far too limited game library due to it's short life and SEGA's own internal development issues.

massoluk

Banned
Gameboy Micro. I already have a 3DS, a DS Lite... I thought it's small, it's more portable, I'll find use for it. Nope, I've gotten too spoiled by the sleep mode.

PS3.

I've bought one not once, but twice. First time I just really wanted a new console, but I soon found out that hardly any games interested me, and I didn't have a single friend with a PS3, so I sold it.

Second time I bought one was pretty much for Uncharted 2. Played it, loved it, but I was back to being at the point where no other game interested me and I still didn't have a single friend with a PS3, so I sold this one too.

DSix

Banned
Both the Wii and the Xbox360. So few games to my taste they're hardly worth the effort. The wii had only a few good nintendo games, and the best xbox games are all dumbed down PC games better played on PC.
Also, I didn't like the DS, I found the library pretty meh overall. Lots of games, but very few good enough, a bit like the PS1 but worse.

This generation, most of my gaming was done on PC and PSP, that's where the good stuff was.

LakeEarth

I don't think I have one. When the Virtual Boy came out, I really really wanted one but didn't convince my parents to get me one. If I did, then that would've been it.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I have several that I regret that I bought:

Turboduo - There was this store owner back in the day that RAVED about the system. "The unique games! The graphics! The CD qualilty audio! It's best on this system is better than ANYTHING you'll ever see on Genesis and Super Nintendo, and holds its own against the Neo Geo."

Bunk. I enjoyed Ys, Dracula X, Sapphire, Lords of Thunder, and Ninja Spirit. Everything else had me shaking my head. One of the systems that I happily sold off.

3DO - I remember when they had demos of Road Rash and Wing Commander III over at Electronics Boutique, and I KNEW I had to have one. Well, when the system tanked, I was able to snatch one up for dirt cheap, and picked up a lot of games that I REALLY wanted to play.

Only problem is, only about 4 or 5 of them held my attention: Road Rash, Star Control 2, Return Fire, Super Street Fighter 2, and Need for Speed. Friends got bored with RF and SSF2, so I ended up getting rid of it.

Playstation Portable - I have a lot of games for it. I haven't actually sold it off yet. There's games on it that I really like to play, or have yet to play. But it is truly the most uncomfortable gaming device that I've played on. I get painful cramps in my hands if I play it for more than 20 minutes.

Ranger X

I sort of regretted buying a PSP. It's the screen that makes me cringe. The ghosting is plenty and I never could get used to it. The analog nob feels imprecise. And forget about playing this machine except if you are under perfect lighting conditions. Lastly, you charge it and it does not keep its charge. Its ridiculous. I take it 3-4 days later and the charge is almost gone. A very shitty machine.

Granted I own some 15-20 awesome games for it but because of the machine itself there's at least half of them I didn't play seriously yet.

ksimm

Wii - Upgrading to HD, buying 360/PS3 killed it - too blurry for my eyes. :[
Xbox - That controller was so fat for my small man hands, oh and it didn't vibrate nicely...
Xbox 360 - Red ring of suck, but the new black one I have is lovely.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
None, I've been pretty happy with all my console purchases so far.

Usually I look to see if there's at least 10 games I want on the platform before I buy it. The only one's I haven't bought lately are a PS3, PSP and now a Vita. Still waiting to get more reasons to own each.

canedaddy

Only one for me, the Wii. Hoping to take the sting out of that bad decision with Xenoblade, which is next in my backlog.

Ponn

Banned

PSP and a Vita...

This makes no sense at all.

1) you prefer nintendo games
2) you regretted getting a psp, which of course will not fulfill that "want"
3) so you get a Vita too thinking, what exactly?

Reading through this thread i have to say I think overall peoples biggest regrets should be not actually thinking about the consoles they are purchasing and putting any research at all into them before buying them. I don't even know how that is possible in this day and age. For example i'm disappointed in how Sony is handling the Vita launch but I wouldn't regret buying the system because I know eventually there will be more titles and there were definitely some good launch games I wanted to play and on top of that better looking psp games I own playing on it. If none of the launch games interested you and you already didn't like the PSP library then what possible reason would compel someone to get the system?

Unfortunately back in the N64 days and earlier we didn't really have the internet as it is today so there really wasn't any indication that beyond the couple launch games for the system we would have to wait a couple months only to get Chameleon 64 and then another couple months after that just for Wave Race and then same for Turok. I just can't see how people can be ill informed of console purchases nowadays though. Even easier to make that mistake on newer emerging consoles like the Jaguar and CD-I and 3DO since you really had no idea where going.

Shai-Tan

Banned
to be fair what I ended up liking on PSP was different from what I purchased it for. I thought I would like the weird games like Locoroco, Patapon and other random stuff but I ended up playing 90% SRPG games

For the longest time my answer would have been a PSP. After many disappointments of its original content, the most use I had out of it was as a portable PS1. However if I have to be honest, I did get a lot of mileage out of it using it that way. So I can't say I really regret it either.

zewone

PS3 - I could never get into the controls and I missed always being connected to my friends on Xbox Live. PS3 never really took off for any of us so we all just buy games on our 360s.

jluedtke

Shove your Wii answers up your asses: You've never known regret until you've traded in a large game collection for an Atari-motherfucking-Jaguar.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been happy with every console I've owned. Some more than others, of course, but I've enjoyed them all and wouldn't dispose of any of them.

Sweeper17

Neo Member
Not sure how anyone can say GC or DC. GC still has PSO which was the best online game for awhile and DC again had the best online service for 6 months.

Top Bottom