• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

RoadDogg

PSP & 360

The only games I really loved on the PSP were HSG and the 2 Megaman games. The rest I could have lived without.

The 360 I loved at launch. But then my system died. It lasted longer then any other launch system I heard of but just before they finally extended the warranty so I had to replace it out of pocket. My 2nd one made it through the Halo 3 launch but was already on deaths bed shortly after. I just gave up on the thing after that, I wasn't going to invest in games I wasn't going to be able to play in a few weeks and I damn well wasn't buying a 3rd one. I also had no desire to keep paying for Xbox Live and get into the COD online world. If the system kept the great single player games coming like it did at launch I might have caved in, but I was getting married, bought a house and getting a PS3 so I just didn't care anymore. Looking back I acknowledge I missed a lot of great games but I don't regret not supporting a company that would make such shitty consoles.

If I wasn't such a Nintendo IP fanboy I would regret buying the Wii and 3DS so far too, but give me 1 Mario and 1 Zelda game and I will buy a console.

Feindflug

PS3.

I got a 60gb console at 2007 with Uncharted and a second sixaxis controller for 550 freakin' euros...I bought the system for the exclusives and end up really disappointed by the majority of them - MGS4 was the biggest let down this gen for me, FFXIII also came to the 360, played and didn't care for Infamous, Killzone, Motorstorm & LBP series & GT5, R&C & GoW3 were also kinda disappointing when compared to their PS2 predecessors.

That being said I really enjoyed some games on the system like UC1/2, Siren Bloodcurse, Resistance 1/3, Folklore, Journey, Shatter, Wipeout HD and of course Demon's Souls which is my favorite game this gen...but I can't be anything other than disappointed when I think that this is the successor to the amazing PS2, the most expensive system I've bought this gen by far and my least played system this gen - the decline in quality and quantity when compared to the PS2 in terms of software is really apparent IMO.

Coxy

Gamecube
bought it mainly for Phantasy Star Online but none of my friends could even get the damn thing online

None. My Wii has all my Nintendo favorites and most of the franchises I love, PS3 has the rpgs and a couple of great excluxives, and 360 has the other exclusives/titles. Between those 3, at least one system has not collected dust this entire generation

KAL2006

Banned
GameBoy Color
Didn't really have many exclusives, I mainly played GB games on it anyway. I should have kept my GB and waited it out until GBA.

Not a big fan of Halo, I thought Gears of War series was the only decent thing about 360. I bought a 360 due to PS3 being more expensive. Until I realised I end up spending just as much money anyway by buying WiFi adapter, play and charge kit, and XBL Gold. Once my play and charge kit broke down, and Live Gold expired I sold my 360 for a PS3. I couldn't be happier, more exclusives I am interested in and free online play

PS Move
I still have it, played a few demos when I first got it and thats about it. I was expecting more interesting games. The tech videos were so promising, but all we got were party games, dance games, fitness games, eyepet, games with optional move aiming and on rails games. I expected proper games that were not on rails such as a Red Steel 3, Sports Champtions with online support and etc.

PS2 - I got it in 2007 and year later i bought PS3 this plus lack of composite/component ports on my displays meant i played it only a 100 or 200 hours.

Especially now when almost everything i had for it was or will be rereleased in some form for PS3/PSP/PSV.

stalker

If I could go back and not buy one of the consoles I have bought in the last 10-12 years (Dreamcast, several GBAs, Gamecube, DS, DSi, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii), it would be the PS2.

I bought it very late, in 2006, and I have about 20 games for the system. Some of these games are on HD collections now (Ratchet, MGS, Team Ico), or have portable versions which I prefer (Disgaea, Everybody's Golf). The rest are games I do not really like (God of War, DMC) or good games that I could have skipped (Maximos, Odin Sphere, Katamari, FFXII). The only exclusive game in my library not on HD collections that I really love is Dragon Quest VIII.

Of course this is a very personal experience. I guess that if I had bought it in 2002 or 2003 I would like it more. But at that time I was happy with my Dreamcast and especially my Gamecube. The fact that both of those have better IQ and controls than the PS2 also helps.

Danny-Boy

360 - Have no idea why I bought it, I've got a PS3 and I'm not interested in Halo or Gears. Sold it for a Wii a week later. Also hate the controller with a passion.

3DS - Why oh why do I fall for the hype. Bought on launch day, felt like I warped back in time. Old tech, no games. Never again. Sold within a few days.

Sega Saturn - WTF? Money was tight back then, have no idea how I came up with the funds. Virtua fighter was a buggy mess. Sold within a few days.

Feindflug

360 - Have no idea why I bought it, I've got a PS3 and I'm not interested in Halo or Gears. Sold it for a Wii a week later. Also hate the controller with a passion.

3DS - Why oh why do I fall for the hype. Bought on launch day, felt like I warped back in time. Old tech, no games. Never again. Sold within a few days.

Sega Saturn - WTF? Money was tight back then, have no idea how I came up with the funds. Virtua fighter was a buggy mess. Sold within a few days.

You really gave those systems a chance.

Johnny

Sega Saturn
I picked one up on it's way out because I had already owned a Genesis and was a big fan of Virtua Fighter in the arcades. Then I tried renting games for the thing and NO ONE carried them. Most stores were in the process of getting rid of their Saturn sections as well. I appreciate the system today, but I felt like an outcast at the time.

Sega Dreamcast
Don't get me wrong, I fucking loved the Dreamcast. However I paid $300CDN for the thing near launch and it was on clearance for $100 within a year. I felt a little cheated in that regard but it was definitely worth the $300 in the end.

Neo Geo AES
Purchased one recently only to realize that I wasn't prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on individual games and that my nostalgia for the system was tied more to the arcade than anything.

Sponge

Banned
Xbox 360.

I picked one up after seeing the Banjo Threeie trailer from 2006, and Rare's other titles they had promised.

Boooy was I let down, I bought a PS3 shortly after and never looked back.

zroid

Banned
Haha oh, I didn't think controllers counted in this. Yes, I bought a PS Move. That's probably the one thing I regret more than my orig Xbox purchase. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, at least I got it at a discount for pre-ordering -- paid $70 instead of $100 for the bundle

NIGHT-

I don't regret buying any of mine. Though I have swiped all my consoles out for Slim/black models. I probably won't buy the next gen consoles day one anymore

Siegfried

In this order:
Wii
Playstation 3

And now I'm about to get killed, but the Dreamcast.

Ok, I loved RE Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue... but it died so young :(

Now, the best consoles for me were:

X-Box 360
Nintendo 64
Gamecube

Majmun

None, really. All of the consoles/handhelds I've bought so far had a game worth bying the hardware for.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
X360.

The only game i bought a 360 for was RDR just because people said it's the superior version.

Yeah...

I only paid 90 bucks for a brand new Elite.

JB1981

820249-playstation_3_super.png

I've wasted too much money on this thing, not just games but also multiple repairs. Eventually it died completely. Got a slim to replace it with, a purchase I don't feel too well about either. :p

Heh. I think I'm in the same boat. And I am now thinking of building a PC.

For me it's the XBOX 360 too sadly. I got it way back in 2006 for the Assassins Creed hype which disappointed me in the end. :( And after that it only had a handful of games that interested me like Forza, Project Sylpheed and Tales of Vesperia. Together with the fact that I had to pay to play anything online I ended up liking my PS3 more and regretting buying the 360.

Snookie

32X.

Well, I didn't buy it. My parents got it for me for Christmas back in the day.

So I guess I feel bad that I convinced my parents to get it for me.

I feel the same way. They got me the unit and Star Wars arcade and I did play that and Doom quite a bit but when I saw it slashed down to like $50 it broke my heart

SoulClap

360. No exclusives of interest for me. Pretty much any third party game I wanted ended up appearing on PC anyways. If it wasn't for RDR I'd probably sell the system but I don't want to settle for the inferior PS3 version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Neo Geo AES - I regretted repurchasing one of these. It was then that I realized owning this thing was pointless since the best games were ridiculously expensive.

Dreamcast- First time was a blast. Many years later I repurchased one, and realized the magic was gone, and the controller suddenly felt like a piece of shit.

Nomad - Had some fun with this, but it really was a waste of money. Glad I got it on a clearance sale way back.

Portugeezer

PSP, at launch anyway. Barely played the thing, good thing I hacked it.

Wii is also pretty bad, but I got that 2 years ago and it had a good back catalogue and some good games since then.

Boss Man

If you buy consoles for one game, get Demon's Souls for PS3 (it's the better game, and not going anywhere else at this point). Then I guess your purchase will be justified.

I would have been disappointed with the PSP I bought on launch day if it wasn't for the fact that I got such an early version that I was able to install custom firmware almost immediately. The first year of owning that system, besides Lumines and Burnout, 90% of my time was replaying PS1 games I ripped off my old discs (Finally played through all of FFIX).

Over time it became more worthwhile but it took well over a year to find its legs.

Yagharek

You bought consoles for multiplatform games?

Dark Souls was not even mentioned as a pc port until very recently.

Memory is hazy, but gta4 was initially only mentioned as a console game from what I recall.

ie it was not a safe bet to assume they would be on pc any time soon when they first came out.

Without a doubt it has to be the Nintendo 64.

After the incredible Nintendo titles on the SNES, the N64 sequels were a huge disappointment.

There were some great games (Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Wave Race, F Zero) but even they could not compensate for the flagship titles that were worse than their earlier SNES versions.

TedNindo

Honestly? The PS3.

I always try to own all the major consoles. But with the lack of any real exclusives this generation between the two HD platforms I would have to say the PS3. I play most console exclusives on 360 because I enjoy the way the interface works and the controller. It's basicly built to be online. While on the PS3 it feels more like an extra service provided.
I got my PS3 for MGS4 and other series that were exclusive on PS2. But the series that I liked the most have become multiplatform and the exclusives that PS3 has atm don't really interest me anymore. I was let down by GT4 and learned to like Forza. God Of War doesn't do it for me anymore. I don't really like Resistance and Killzone. If gave them a chance but they aren't really that special imo, I couldn't get into them because I don't like the controller setup for FPS games on the PS3 and they didn't grab me enough in the first few hours to keep me playing. Halo is still the best console exclusive FPS imo. And I have more fun playing Gears Of War in splitscreen co-op with friends.
And the Wii isn't the console I hoped it to be. But atleast it has original games that aren't available on any other platform.
I'll wait and see what the big 3 will bring around next gen. But if things stay the way they are it'll be a Nintendo, Microsoft and PC combo next generation.

Wii and Lynx ( probably I'm the only one in the forum who got one of these "portables" )

Lynx has been mentioned a number of times negatively in this thread already, lol :(

I <3'd mine as a kid. It did suck how it had like zero retail presence shortly after the Christmas I got mine ('92), but I had 8-10 games I liked for it.

Lumine

Gameboy Pocket. I never had the original and when this released I thought it was finally time. Saved up and spend all my money on it. Less than a month later Nintendo announces the Gameboy Colour. I was quite young at the time so you can imagine how that pissed me off. I didn't even play on it much.

Then many years later almost the same thing happens again. I buy a gameboy advance only for Nintendo to announce the GBA SP soon after. Finally with a backlight. I wasn't too angry about it this time, but I didn't play my GBA much either.

Oh and I wish I bought a PS3 sooner or later. One with either PS2 BC or at least a bigger HDD.

Top Bottom