• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

I regret buying GBA day one, I regret buying NDS day one, I regret buying PSP day one (jap. import), I regret buying Wii, I regret buying Xbox 360, I regret buying PS3. Somehow I regret buying any console in the last 8 years. I bought and sould PS3 about 3 times, just because of exclusives. If I buy a console I play at most 3 days in a row and then never ever touch that thing again, and I even don't know why. Probably I just can't lower my standards since I'm a PC gamer for over 15 years.

So you're buying a PS4 and 720 day one?

IrishNinja

#2: The Dreamcast (no RPG's,

Et9iQ.gif

But seriously, if you regret buying any of the systems released in the past 10 years because 'there was no software that interests you' I pity you, you just weren't looking.

this so hard. i even found gems on the Sega-CD.

And I envy you, for the crazy amount of money and free time you must have.

if you've neither time nor money to find/play good games, why buy the system in the first place? and given you post on a gaming forum, it's not like you're gonna be outta the loop even on sleeper hits.

Oh and the Dreamcast, but i ended up selling it anyway so whatever.

runnin' outta room on this list

It had one analog stick post Dualshock one, and fewer buttons on top of that...

i can't really argue the controller too much, but the RPG comment is crazy.

So you're buying a PS4 and 720 day one?

haha, that's how i read it, too.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I regret buying a 3DS. Ended up selling it a month ago when i could still get most of my money back :p What a disappointment game catalogue wise.

This is the type of stuff I mean. I'm not picking you out but it's a recent comment that justifies my point.

1) The 3DS has been on the market for 13-14 months where the general lifetime of hardware tends to be 4-5 years. Should this truly be considered a regret?

2) Why did you buy the 3DS in the first place?

3) If there were certain games or genres you enjoyed and were expecting, why didn't you wait until they came along?

These same arguments could be made for the Vita and quite possibly for the current cycle of consoles for sale.

I understand people want things yesterday and today, and not tomorrow, but we need to be realistic here. If you're buying a console or handheld and you regret it several months down the track you should be asking yourself why it was bought it in the first place.

Well, you have to consider situations like the Saturn losing support, 360 rrod, and PS3 ylod.

I know people who bought the Saturn solely for Panzer Dragoon Saga. They would easily go on record in stating that the Saturn was an enjoyable console for them. I myself was very close to buying one so I could play Virtua Fighter and import X-Men vs Street Fighter. Do people regret the Game Boy because, despite its sizable library of software, there are only a handful of games worth playing on it?

As for the hardware issues regarding the 360 and the PS3 it seems to mostly come down to bad luck. Though I'm not so sure you can blame it on the console specifically, after all there are games tied to those systems and you can't have one without the other, rather that hatred should be focused at the manufacturers.

I regret buying GBA day one, I regret buying NDS day one, I regret buying PSP day one (jap. import), I regret buying Wii, I regret buying Xbox 360, I regret buying PS3. Somehow I regret buying any console in the last 8 years. I bought and sould PS3 about 3 times, just because of exclusives. If I buy a console I play at most 3 days in a row and then never ever touch that thing again, and I even don't know why. Probably I just can't lower my standards since I'm a PC gamer for over 15 years.

These are problems easily addressed. The solution is yourself.

Yagharek

Ive been buying consoles since Master System (ex Amiga) and a shortlist of systems I was less than happy with at one point in time:

PS1 and N64 momentarily - but I got over that and loved them when I found great games
PS2 but only because of launch price and launch window drought.

Those 3 systems are barely relevant because I love to look back on them now in terms of their library.

However the first real disappointment for me started with Dreamcast. Don't get me wrong - it was a good system once games started coming out in Australia. But then within 3 months it was dead. It is the absolute worst supported system Ive ever had. I know there are some great games on it, but they came too little too late for me to not be soured on the system.

Thus Dreamcast was a regretful purchase in hindsight given that I was so excited for it and got a kick in the teeth in return. I accept that it was down to Sega's finances though, so I can deal with it.

----------

PSP is next - it was a disappointment because it had very little worth playing for me after 2007. Granted, it got some great games in 2010-11, but by then I'd more than moved on and DS/3DS served nicely. I've got nothing against the system - it just missed the window of opportunity.

-------

The biggest regret I've ever had to date though would easily be 360. It damn near killed my enthusiasm for gaming entirely. Briefly:
Halo 3 was overhyped garbage.
Gears of War was billed as epic narrative/immersive world and it ended up with a nonsensical bullet sponge train ride and too much jooce.
Project Gotham 3 and 4 were major downturns after PGR2, on which I logged 500+ hours.
The XBox Live interface become more and more intrusive and less and less intuitive
The community of games thinned out when several big name games would come out all at once, leading to a disconnect amongst the regulars I played with
The system was built according to pathetic QA. Needless to say mine broke in an unacceptably short time.
Genre diversity died relative to the PS2/XB1/GC era.
It introduced achievements, microtransactions and online passes.

I think my disappointment in 360 is directly proportional to how excited I was for it. Nothing on it has lived up to my enthusiasm for what this supposed new HD generation was going to bring. Instead, it has pretty much turned me off online gaming entirely, killed my three favourite series last gen (PGR, Halo, Rainbow Six for online multi) and now it has turned into a paid advertising service.

I fully accept that lots of these things I listed are not universally bad things. Some will love the games I list as disappointments. But for me, they represented the worst trends in gaming and the complete disillusionment I have developed with respect to the industry and the manufactured rubbish that proliferates today.

Only Portals and Mario Galaxies managed to keep me gaming at the darkest point.

danmaku

if you've neither time nor money to find/play good games, why buy the system in the first place? and given you post on a gaming forum, it's not like you're gonna be outta the loop even on sleeper hits.

I bought them exactly to play the great games I read about (here and elsewhere). Turns out, they weren't that great. After trying for a while, I just gave up. I know I'm probably missing some good games on DS/PSP/iPod, but same happens with movies and books. You'll never watch/read/play all of the good ones.

cripterion

My 2nd Xbox360 cause I didn't get to take it with me and the PS3 because it's just taking dust in my living room.

I had a good time running through the Uncharted trilogy with it, but the few other games I played on it were just a disappointment.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I regretted buying a Japanese DSLite in hindsight (I already had a US DSLite).

Ashler

X360... and then Kinect.

Bought it a few years after my PS3 (in 2009), which added nothing valuable to my gaming experience besides Gears of War.
Bought the Kinect a few days after launch, used it about 5 times to play Dance Central.

Ended up selling both about 2 months ago.

I would say Wii because I don't even own ten games for it, but it has Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and Galaxy 1/2, which are some of the very best games I ever played.
Even if I only had these four games for the system it would still have been a good buy because they are absolute must-haves for me.

Dunlop

Wii by a mile as it was the first time I really felt ripped off and not that I chose the wrong horse like other generations

then maybe TurboGraphix 16

Hinomura

PS3.
60gb at launch, with two games and two sixaxis controllers: about 800 euros (1,000+ usd). I have two reasons for my regret:

1) A waste of money for a faulty console

Local Sony servicing denied to repair it in warranty: "We and Sony can't shoot ourself in the foot admitting your PS3 is faulty!" screamed the service owner to me over the phone when I insisted it had a faulty blue diode and it had to be repaired in warranty.

I fixed it with a refurbed optic group I bought via ebay (about 80 usd more, the local Sony service asked for about 350-400 usd to fix and ship it) but it lasted three months before breaking again. Had to buy another PS3 later (400 euros / 500+ usd more).

2) Expected a PlayStation lineup

First two PlayStations lineup was made mostly of thousands of exclusive japan games, with a few multi platform games both western and eastern, and got great new IPs, great sequels, tons of good games, huge variety and many new ideas implemented in gaming.

The PS3 library is mostly made of multi platform western games, while exclusive Japanese gaming has become a ridiculously tiny niche, with a lot of IPs and genres killed or severely mutilated. I occasionally setup the PS3 just to play online beat'em ups (ie SFIII ts) with a couple of friends or to play one of the few SP games I like (ie Yakuza IP).

MYE

I would say Wii because I don't even own ten games for it, but it has Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and Galaxy 1/2, which are some of the very best games I ever played.
Even if I only had these four games for the system it would still have been a good buy because they are absolute must-haves for me.

I'm confused

I gave my first Wii to my brother when I joined the military (Yes, I've played Galaxy and Twilight Princess) and bought a second one holiday 2010 on sale, I've only played it once for Skyward Sword.

Yagharek

PS3.
60gb at launch, with two games and two sixaxis controllers: about 800 euros (1,000+ usd). I have two reasons for my regret:

1) A waste of money for a faulty console

Local Sony servicing denied to repair it in warranty: "We and Sony can't shoot ourself in the foot admitting your PS3 is faulty!" screamed the service owner to me over the phone when I insisted it had a faulty blue diode and it had to be repaired in warranty.

I fixed it with a refurbed optic group I bought via ebay (about 80 usd more, the local Sony service asked for about 350-400 usd to fix and ship it) but it lasted three months before breaking again. Had to buy another PS3 later (400 euros / 500+ usd more).

2) Expected a PlayStation lineup

First two PlayStations lineup was made mostly of thousands of exclusive japan games, with a few multi platform games both western and eastern, and got great new IPs, great sequels, tons of good games, huge variety and many new ideas implemented in gaming.

The PS3 library is mostly made of multi platform western games, while exclusive Japanese gaming has become a ridiculously tiny niche, with a lot of IPs and genres killed or severely mutilated. I occasionally setup the PS3 just to play online beat'em ups (ie SFIII ts) with a couple of friends or to play one of the few SP games I like (ie Yakuza IP).

I was one month away from my warranty expiring before my ps3 died. Died mid firmware update. Sony rep told me it didnt, when I was there watching it and he was not. :/

Paid $1000 Australian for that machine, not happy. Still, with a large bluray collection and my wife's interest on having iview, it will stay until a more convenient solution appears.

This man speaks sense!

Not necessarily. Subsequent events can really cloud things, especially when a console is made poorly and with a 30% + failure rate like 360 and ps3.

None.

I got the least use out of my DSi because not much came out for it and then my brother in law stole it, but my lite was broken anyway so I needed a replacement.

Celine

Nothing for me.
I own mostly Nintendo systems.
All of them were good purchases.

Neo geo pocket (import), in the end it was way less powerful than I fist thought of, and software really lacked :/
Right now though I think NGPC is a really worthy retro-handheld to own (except for the not-backlit screen).

Sofo

Personally the Wii. I've had great times with it, but it's always thanks to co-op and such. Zelda games are fun too, but I can't really put myself to play anything other than first party titles. It just never feels good.

Snipes424

The wii

Kinect (if that counts) - I think it is a cool piece of technology, it just doesn't work with games that aren't dancing or fitness.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Probably the PS2, bought it day one and although I was excited about having new hardware I grew bored of it fast, outside of the Silent Hill franchise and Red Faction there really wasn't much on system that interested me, also being an audiophile it bugged me that the games were only Dolby Pro Logic as opposed to Dolby Digital on the xbox.

Super Famicon - loved it at the beginning, after F-Zero got boring I lost interest, hated the arcade ports and sound.

Playstation - bought around the same time as my import Saturn but never liked it, sold within 6 months.

Playstation 3 - got it for the exclusives (which turned out to be incredibly shallow) and GT5, I still have it and at least I didn't pay over the odds. The only console I never bought a second controller for either.

pramath

Banned
The Wii. Seriously. Fuck the Wii.
There are only five games on the system that justify its existence to me: the three Mario games, SSBB, and Monster Hunter Tri. TP doesn't count, since it's a GCN game, and SS sucks.

McHuj

The Wii. I played about 4 games on it and didn't finish any of them (Twlight Princess, SMG1&2, and NSMB). I think my combined play time on the Wii as a system was under a 100 hours.

TheDanger

Banned
If it weren't for Resident Evil 4 I'd say Wii too, but RE4 was so fucking awesome that I don't regret buying it. I never played any other game seriously on the Wii, but it was worth buying it for RE4 even though I played through the game multiple times on PS2 before.

Jaguar. AvP and Tempest weren't enough.

The Gamecube. Bought it at launch then got impatient after some months and sold it. (...but bought it again some weeks ago lol, so it doesn't quite qualify for this thread.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
3DS is the biggest one. Got it at launch purely on potential since I like Nintendo's first party software and figured it would be a while before it would drop in price, and there was that chance that it would end up difficult to find.

Well, I was wrong on both counts, and from a software perspective it's still lacking. Really want Fire Emblem and the new Mario game, but that's about all that's coming up that I'm planning on buying, and I only own 3 games for the system as it is.

DSi to a lesser extent. My original fat DS wasn't in great shape so replacing it was nice, but I'm not sure I played the DSi enough to make it a worthwhile purchase due to the 3DS getting released.

Maybe my 360 too. My gaming is basically divided between consoles = Japanese games, PC = western games, primarily because Japanese devs don't really do anything with the PC. So most of the 360s library that interested me was already available on PC, so I only have a few games for it.

Wii (nuff said in this thread)
DS (I was playing way more PSP back in the day)
PSX (bought it on launch and was just disappointed with the blocky graphics compared to the arcade)

PSP. I bought it for the two GoW games (which ended up being ported to the PS3 later anyway), and the only other games I've bought for it and liked are KH: BbS and FF VII: Crisis Core. Plus the analogue nub is utter shit, and my hands get cramps from holding the damn PSP during long gaming sessions.

You are weak! You must endure through the pain and develop the claw-syndrome to manage with it :D And yes, i have played MGS5 Peace Walker and Crisis Core both for over 30 hours, usually during long flights. Both Wipeouts are amazing too.

Regarding the nub, i always wondered why no 3rd parties didn't develop a larger nub or an extension of sorts for it...

Original Xbox - Simply could not get the hang of the controller and the only game I liked was JSRF (which plays on the 360) anyway.

3DS - MK7 was lacking and nothing I actually want is making its way outside of Japan, also poor design and build quality.

Game Gear - Really, really bad screen and a massive waste of batteries.

Kinect - Kind of cool for Child of Eden and I liked Dance Evolution, but if I want to flail my arms around I'd have a lot more fun breaking out my old Samba De Amigo set and Dreamcast.

TriGen

I wouldn't say I regret any, but the PSP I didn't end up using much at all, and the Wii, which I don't regret buying, became the console that I really only played like once a year when a big game that I really wanted came out. The consoles that I got my moneys worth the most probaly were the, PS2, N64, SNES, 360, and PS3.

injurai

Banned
Xbox and Xbox 360.

The first Xbox I played Halo 2 and Destroy all humans before returning it for the title-less platform that it was.

and the 360 I purchased 6 games for and haven't touched it since late 2007. Then I got a PS3 in 2008 and PC in 2009. Things have been looking up ever since.

Top Bottom